Rumor only!! Involves John Gruden

marauderswr80

• Replies 395
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you are John Gruden, why in the world would you take the Buffalo job.?

Crickets....

It's quite possible someone like Gruden trying to get back into coaching would much prefer a small market team with some good pieces in place (Kyle, Mario, dareus, OL, Byrd, young DBs, spiller, Stevie, etc) as opposed to a high profile job where every action will be over analyzed by the media and mountains of pressure will be present.

Edited by Alphadawg7

It's quite possible someone like Gruden trying to get back into coaching would much prefer a small market team with some good pieces in place (Kyle, Mario, dareus, OL, Byrd, young DBs, spiller, Stevie, etc) as opposed to a high profile job where every action will be over analyzed by the media and mountains of pressure will be present.

I do remember him gushing about Spiller when he was drafted. Like it seemed beyond genuine. I think he had a man crush

You forgot Fitz, PTR is going to be angry.

The only coach with previous NFL Success that will come here if Fitz is still the quarterback is Mike Martz. Announcing the game against the Rams a few weeks ago, Martz sounded like he wanted to have Fitz's baby.

I can say with 100% certainty he wasn't at the flying pig...I was there as I am every Sunday during football season and as usual I was the only one there interested in The Bills.

So Brandon had a meeting last night after a, what, 4ish hour flight(?) in a restaurant not open on Sundays? Hey, there is a pig flying outside of my house right now. Go figure.

The only coach with previous NFL Success that will come here if Fitz is still the quarterback is Mike Martz. Announcing the game against the Rams a few weeks ago, Martz sounded like he wanted to have Fitz's baby.

HAHAHA man that was awful to listen to! I couldn't believe my ears, it was like they had some kind if "discrete" and "special" relationship lmao

He does have fire and he is pretty vocal and that would be a changed around here oppose to the mellow coaches we had here before !

And here's the reason I'd want to see him. Jauron & Gailey showed no fire - which isn't to say they didn't have any, but on the surface, it appears like they have no motivation or heart when a bad call goes against them or a player makes an outstanding play.

But because he's Gruden, he might get a little more of the microscope than a small market team like Buffalo would show.

Either way, I don't think he'd be bothered by the attention. He's a football guy - he'd worry about the media stuff last.

So while we're all waiting for the OP to come back and tell us his friend was playing a joke on him - here are my thoughts on Jon Gruden:

No thanks.

First, he's been out of the game for several years and I question how quickly he can get himself back into the rhythm of things. Remember, this was a guy who (supposedly) would work 18 hour days as a head coach. He's been enjoying a cush day job for ESPN since, and I question whether he can make the transition back.

Second, he runs a WC offense - you're talking a completely different scheme, with completely different player profiles than what the Bills now have on the roster. A total re-boot.

Third, Jon Gruden has never developed a rookie QB. Think about that for a moment. Never as in not one single time. He only succeeded with brainy vets (Rich Gannon, Brad Johnson). He was famous for stockpiling vet QBs who had been dumped by other teams, thinking he could salvage them. I believe Rob Johnson has a Superbowl ring because of Gruden. But he couldn't or wouldn't work with rookies, despite the B.S. persona we see on his ESPN show where he comes across as a jovial mentor. Shaun King says that Gruden ruined his career. So, I ask, is this the guy we want as our next head coach? Based on his history, if anything he'd try to salvage Fitz.

Fourth, Gruden was also famous for undermining his players. They by and large viewed him as a politician - he'd say one thing to one person, and the exact opposite to someone else. He divided his locker room in Tampa Bay to the point where it became absolutely toxic. He flirted with other job offers in Oakland constantly. He's a politician as much as he is a coach.

In sum: while I think this rumor is totally bogus, I would not want Gruden here.

I'm very skeptical that Jo(_)n Gruden would end up here but I agree 100% with your take. Don't and never did like him. He milked out improvement in Tampa Bay for one season just long enough to beat the team he coached the year before. They disposed of the Raiders easily because his successor Bill Callahan did nothing to change any of the systems that Gruden had put into place.

It was the easiest coaching assignment of all: beating his former team and preying on the weaknesses of his former staff and players.

I've got some counter points to your well thought out post...

1. The WC offense wouldn't require a total reboot. Our WRs are built for a short passing game, as we have almost no vertical threats. We'd need a QB, but we need a QB now anyways. And in the WCO, Spiller would pile up about a million yards from scrimmage running/receiving. Gruden woudl be salivating with all the ways he could use him. Look at what he did with guys liek Charlie Garner.

2. True, Gruden has famously struggled with rookie/young QBs. He expects a lot out of them. However, he's never had a high, top of the draft QB to work with. He's always had mid rounders, that, due their draft position, had limitations. Things might work better with a highly skilled young QB. Then again, they may not.

3. Tampa had lockerroom issues, but Gruden was able to bring them together for a short period of time and achieve success. I think the real deal with him is that he's got about a 5 year expiration date.

Another bizarre feature to Gruden is that he doesn't use the shotgun. I wonder how that will fly in today's NFL. The young-looking old dog might have to learn some new tricks.

This puts the rumor to bed. Goodnight.

As I said, I don't expect Gruden to coach the Bills but saying that he won't because he signed a contract extension with ESPN in 2011 only shows your naiveté in the ways of contracts.

Oh, and of course he'd be an improvement over Gailey.

But at what cost?

If we're gonna break the bank and give someone near-total football authority, I'd rather it was someone else.

If you are John Gruden, why in the world would you take the Buffalo job.?

Crickets....

Who knows if it would turn the favor for a guy like Jon Gruden, but I do believe he mentioned wanting these things, for sure, in his next team: Solid to great players at CB, DE/OLB, LT, and QB. As I have said before, we have all but the QB, but are in line to be able to hand select from almost an entire draft, which includes many decent QB options. Then there is F.A. to pick up other players, on a team that has real stars elsewhere, too - we only need major upgrades in a few places (WR, LB, QB) and coaching.

Anyway, it is the type of place a coach could come in and - if he had the right cooperation with the rest of the team - WIN right away, and still have a good, solid team for years to come.

I read the whole thread with a bad migraine so I might have missed it...but maybe since Gruden does those shows pre-draft on college QBs, he wanted to get his thoughts? Get to know the man and take it from there? Pick his brain?

I know Brandon takes a lot of crap, and deservedly so, but he is a Bills fan too. He is smart enough to know a winning product makes money, I am sure he doesn't want to have the need to rebuild the marketing aspect every three years either.

I am hoping for better days ahead.

Who knows if it would turn the favor for a guy like Jon Gruden, but I do believe he mentioned wanting these things, for sure, in his next team: Solid to great players at CB, DE/OLB, LT, and QB. As I have said before, we have all but the QB, but are in line to be able to hand select from almost an entire draft, which includes many decent QB options. Then there is F.A. to pick up other players, on a team that has real stars elsewhere, too - we only need major upgrades in a few places (WR, LB, QB) and coaching.

Anyway, it is the type of place a coach could come in and - if he had the right cooperation with the rest of the team - WIN right away, and still have a good, solid team for years to come.

We do not have solid CBs.

You can argue the sham point (incorrectly I might add) all you want, but your history is poor. Pittsburgh did NOT interview any minorities other than Tomlin, and in fact were going to hire Grimm as their next head coach when Tomlin took the interview. He impressed them so much that he got the job. You can easily look this up.

EDIT: I went ahead and did it for you. You may be remembering that the team had plans to interview then-Bears DC Ron Riviera, but couldn't because the rule at the time did not allow for coaches to interview for other jobs until their season was completed. Since they had already interviewed Grimm, Tomlin, and then-OC Ken Whisenhunt, they went ahead and made a hire without interviewing Riviera. Here's the link:

Steeler's Coaching Search

And the point is that--had it not been for the rule--Tomlin wouldn't have gotten the time of day, since the Steelers were happy handing the reins to Grimm...how happy are they that they didn't?

I call bull ****. The Rooney's are claiming that the only reason they hired their coach is because of the Rooney rule? Kind of a self-fulfilling prophecy, wouldn't you say? "See, our rule works, we followed it!" I don't buy it.

Unless the Bills move up in the draft, they're more likely to pick the 3rd quarterback in the draft.

In fact teams seeking a quarterback could easily leapfrog the Bills.

And more to the point, the Bills might have to trade up themselves to ensure the quarterback that they covet from this class.

I'd go with Chan one more year, guarantee another top 5 pick next year and then go all in on Andy Reid in 2014.

UGHH GOD NO!!! one more year of Gailey is unbearable and Andy doesn't know what a RB is either.

Unless the Bills move up in the draft, they're more likely to pick the 3rd quarterback in the draft.

In fact teams seeking a quarterback could easily leapfrog the Bills.

And more to the point, the Bills might have to trade up themselves to ensure the quarterback that they covet from this class.

with Smith and Barkley as "1-2" third is is right were we want to be.