McShay, no elite QB 2013 draft

thewildrabbit

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good to know Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey finally want to draft a QB after 3 years of a backup elevated to starter

According to Todd McShay there is no elite franchise QB in the upcoming draft

http://espn.go.com/n...know-2013-draft

no elite QBs this year? what a shock. I'm stunned. we all know last year was the year. Indy got incredibly lucky as they were not nearly as bad as their record indicated. If we put a high school QB in there we can go 1 -15 as well.. wait...

which is why i think smith or barkley will be there when the bills pick....

I think Barkley will only be successful in a West Coast offense where you can limit the amount of down-the-field throws, and his vertical accuracy isn't that good.

With Smith, I think he's still developing as a quarterback. He's a smart kid, he works unbelievably hard and he has all the intangibles you're looking for, but a little bit like Christian Ponder, he didn't always transfer that information on the field. Ponder would often lock in on his initial read, and I think there's a lot of the same questions about Smith.

Good to know Buddy Nix and Chan Gailey finally want to draft a QB after 3 years of a backup elevated to starter

Yeah...because someone who works for E$PN says so, then it's true.

This doesn't mean that the available QBs won't be good.

Nassib on third or 4th round may be our move....

I admit I haven't seen much of Nassib this year, but it didn't seem like he was quite there a year ago and needed a lot of work. Has he improved that much where he's worth a 4th round pick?

Yeah...because someone who works for E$PN says so, then it's true.

This doesn't mean that the available QBs won't be good.

I admit I haven't seen much of Nassib this year, but it didn't seem like he was quite there a year ago and needed a lot of work. Has he improved that much where he's worth a 4th round pick?

For the BIlls? Hmmm....4th round: Searcy, Hairston, Easley, Shawn Nelson, Reggie Corner, Derek Fine, Dwayne Wright, Ko Simpson, Duke Preston.....

Yeah, pretty much anything is good enough for the 4th round.

Here's what I don't get - Christian Ponder picked 13th overall - EJ Manuel same school, better measureables, similar but superior statistics and he's ranked somewhere between a 2nd and 4th round pick.

That's because it's November. By March and April, we witness an inexplicable phenomena where GMs start falling over each other for QBs and they shoot up the boards.

As for the McShay article, I think he meant there are no elite prospects. Which is true. There are no RGIIIs or Lucks. This doesn't mean that 2-3 of the QBs in this class will not turn out to be elite QBs. Nobody knows this - not even McShay. Flacco, Rodgers, Dalton, Wilson, & Brees (or Kapernick, but its too early to judge him) were never considered elite prospects, but they're not doing too bad in this league.

I'm officially sold, draft a QB, any QB...do the 180-degree opposite of whatever McShay says.

...Indy got incredibly lucky as they were not nearly as bad as their record indicated...

Lucky had nothing to do with Indy getting the top pick. It was a decree from on high that they would lose as many games as they needed to to guarantee the top pick. (Pretty smart business decision, but horrible sportsmanship) Manning being out was their excuse, but Indy without manning was still way better than many teams that drafted after them in 2012. It may be unscrupulous what they did, but I would find a way to cope if Buffalo had decided to tank last year to get the best QB in years without having to lose draft picks to get him.

Here's what I don't get - Christian Ponder picked 13th overall - EJ Manuel same school, better measureables, similar but superior statistics and he's ranked somewhere between a 2nd and 4th round pick.

Thats where guys like McShay predicted Ponder would go too.

McShay might as well be blind considering how good he is at projecting QB.

This is the guy that had Andre Woodson as the #1 overall pick a few years back. He went in the 6th round and was out of the league two years later.

Thats where guys like McShay predicted Ponder would go too.

McShay might as well be blind considering how good he is at projecting QB.

This is the guy that had Andre Woodson as the #1 overall pick a few years back. He went in the 6th round and was out of the league two years later.

lol, love the andre woodson tidbit....

mchsay is a diaper eater, his opinion is worthless....i like Walter Football's opinion (and hes usually much more accuarte) more than Mcshays

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/page/hotread-2013-nfl-draft/nfl-hot-read-10-things-know-2013-draft

I thought this was pretty common knowledge.

That's because it's November. By March and April, we witness an inexplicable phenomena where GMs start falling over each other for QBs and they shoot up the boards.

As for the McShay article, I think he meant there are no elite prospects. Which is true. There are no RGIIIs or Lucks. This doesn't mean that 2-3 of the QBs in this class will not turn out to be elite QBs. Nobody knows this - not even McShay. Flacco, Rodgers, Dalton, Wilson, & Brees (or Kapernick, but its too early to judge him) were never considered elite prospects, but they're not doing too bad in this league.

Exactly. Elite "can't miss" prospects at QB are actually pretty rare.

Guys like Cam Newton, Sam Bradford and Matthew Stafford weren't considered "elite" either, but they still went #1 overall.

This draft class reminds me a lot of the 2011 group.

If anyone recalls, once Luck decided to stay in school another year, there was a huge void at the quarterback position. None of the guys left on the board were considered top prospects.

Regardless, Newton still went #1 overall. Locker, Gabbert and Ponder went early in the first round. Dalton and Kaepernick went early in the second.

Exactly. Elite "can't miss" prospects at QB are actually pretty rare.

Guys like Cam Newton, Sam Bradford and Matthew Stafford weren't considered "elite" either, but they still went #1 overall.

This draft class reminds me a lot of the 2011 group.

If anyone recalls, once Luck decided to stay in school another year, there was a huge void at the quarterback position. None of the guys left on the board were considered top prospects.

Regardless, Newton still went #1 overall. Locker, Gabbert and Ponder went early in the first round. Dalton and Kaepernick went early in the second.

Also, isn't pretty much every QB not drafted in the top 5 not an "elite" prospect? Some of the best QBs in history weren't close to be elite or good prospects and ended up being HOFers.

If anyone watched WV this season you know there is no way Smith is ready to be an NFL QB. The system he plays in is terrible and has way too many bad habits to warrant drafting high. Barkely is a stud that played behind a patchwork OL at best this year. He forced alot of throws and made some bad decisions, that being said he outplayed Luck last year for the majority of the season and his deciding to come back hurt his stock. If he falls to us I will be chomping at the bit to get him. His stock will soar as the offseason progresses. Either Teo or Barkley, follow it up with either USC WR and Im a happy man.

Mike Glennon at NC State is somebody I'd take a flyer on...if he's coming out this year. Big time arm, good size, smart. Not very mobile, but you can't have everything.

i think he might be one of the guys that gets sucked into the "wait, who are the top qbs, we have to pick a qb in the first" vacuum - ala ponder. maybe not, but it seems his name has floated into a few more national media references lately.

But Ponder was picked in a QB panic since there was no free agency before that draft. Normally. he would have been what, maybe a 2nd-rounder?

If anyone watched WV this season you know there is no way Smith is ready to be an NFL QB. The system he plays in is terrible and has way too many bad habits to warrant drafting high. Barkely is a stud that played behind a patchwork OL at best this year. He forced alot of throws and made some bad decisions, that being said he outplayed Luck last year for the majority of the season and his deciding to come back hurt his stock. If he falls to us I will be chomping at the bit to get him. His stock will soar as the offseason progresses. Either Teo or Barkley, follow it up with either USC WR and Im a happy man.

and what say you to the crowd of Barkley haters who claim he has no downfield arm strength - ala Fitz?

Can Barkley play in winter?

If I recall correctly, general consensus among us expert fans and TV talking heads was that Minnesota reached pretty high for Ponder. They needed a QB, as we do, and they took best QB available with their first pick. He's shown some flashes, but I'm guessing in 1.5 seasons or less, the Ponder experiment will be over and Minnesota will once again be in QB or bust draft mode.

Thats the great thing about reaching for a QB. You get to do it again and again and again.

Any thoughts on the long storied lists of USC QB failures in the NFL. Barkley doesn't look much different. You could argue he's got the best supporting cast of all of them.

I still contend there was no luck (lower case 'l') involved.

Agreed 100% It's called tanking a season. Much like the Eagles have decided to do. The Bills never do this, which is why they end up picking 10th or 1tth every year. Not saying they should, but other teams have become hip to this notion.

Yeah there is not RGIII or Luck this year... but QB's are a fickle bunch... you never know exactly what you are going to get.

BTW I love love Nassib in the middle rounds. Syracuse runs a pro style offense and he has a legit arm. Honestly just look at the throws he makes and compare them to someone like Barkley. If he played at USC he'd be just as good if not better

McShay, no elite QB 2013 draft:

There was also no Tom Brady in the 2000 NFL draft. Oh wait, there was but no one realized it. QB's are one of those positions you just never know about. I agree, No LUCK or RG3 on paper but some good one's are going to be found in this draft.

This topic is OLD. A NEW topic should be started unless there is a very specific reason to revive this one.