Feb 11, 2000 - Bruce Smith places curse on the Buffalo Bills

JÂy RÛßeÒ

Angry Bruce Smith Says Bills Fans were 'Robbed and Cheated'

The Buffalo News -- February 12, 2000

By Allen Wilson

Bruce Smith said goodbye to the Buffalo Bills, but not before delivering a few parting shots.

Smith was reflective after he, Thurman Thomas and Andre Reed were released Thursday. After having a full 24 hours to think about it, Smith's disappointment turned to anger.

"This organization did not show any class in this situation," Smith said Friday from his home in Virginia Beach, Va. "This is an awful way to treat guys who have given so much not only to this organization, but to the community as well. The people that I feel the most sad for are the fans of Buffalo. I feel that they got robbed and cheated. This organization will have to live with the consequences of its actions."

I believe we are still living with the consequences of this action. The unceremonious dumping of 3 of the best players this league has ever seen. Buffalo went from a desirable destination for players & coaches to being the NFL's figurative (if not literal) Siberia. Having to completely over-pay marginal players to come here in free agency. High draft picks playing out their initial contracts to get away via free agency (if not forcing a trade before then). The Butler/Donahoe/Levy/Brandon/Nix carousel at GM making draft blunder after draft blunder. Retread coaches or middling coordinators put in charge of the team on the field. All of this eroding the fan-base.

All i can say is that several of us middle aged fans predicted this. I sat in the stands at Super Bowl 25 & 28. I sat and drank beers with buddies and we all agreed., it's a guarantee that Buffalo will pay dearly for those dominant Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, Reed...years when we didn't win it all. I said back then we'd be stuck in a generation of futility after reaping a decade of success. Well, we're in it up to our necks.

All i can say is that several of us middle aged fans predicted this. I sat in the stands at Super Bowl 25 & 28. I sat and drank beers with buddies and we all agreed., it's a guarantee that Buffalo will pay dearly for those dominant Kelly, Thurman, Bruce, Reed...years when we didn't win it all. I said back then we'd be stuck in a generation of futility after reaping a decade of success. Well, we're in it up to our necks.

I was an adolescent during the glory years. My dad and I started going to games in 1986-87, and by the time I was old enough to really grasp what was happening, we were starting the upswing and winning the division.

We attended every home game through the glory years (and beyond), but after each dominant win he would tell me "Son, don't get used to this kind of football. Savor every game and every play as much as you can. This isn't how it normally is. This isn't a normal team. This will not last forever."

Well, unfortunately, he was more correct than he ever knew at the time. Success for Ralph Wilson is and always has been, more luck than brains.

Whether it is simply a return to the norm for this franchise, a curse by a star player, or payback for a few years of success... it sucks.

[/size]

I believe we are still living with the consequences of this action. The unceremonious dumping of 3 of the best players this league has ever seen. Buffalo went from a desirable destination for players & coaches to being the NFL's figurative (if not literal) Siberia. Having to completely over-pay marginal players to come here in free agency. High draft picks playing out their initial contracts to get away via free agency (if not forcing a trade before then). The Butler/Donahoe/Levy/Brandon/Nix carousel at GM making draft blunder after draft blunder. Retread coaches or middling coordinators put in charge of the team on the field. All of this eroding the fan-base.

What's with tiny print all the time?

We are bound to get a new owner sometime and the "curse" will be lifted.

Thanks Zow, why didn't you say we would be dominant for centuries cuz we didn't win the four SBs. Losing them was bad enough do we really need more failure?

It's all your fault ;)

As long as we keep signing oversized contracts with quarterbacks who have a handful of good games and no large body of work, we're doomed. (i.e. Rob Johnson, Ryan Fitzpatrick).

Add to the fact Nix wants to draft a QB this year when the QB class of last year's draft was MUCH deeper, we're doomed even more. But I like to be an optimist.

[/size]

Can you post in a smaller font WTF!?!?!?! Think of us older guys :thumbsup:

Curses are known to be broken by good blocking & tackling, both of which we lacked over the years

I'm just asking? What evidence is there that the city and this team can't attract FA's? The Bills have signed guys to big contracts all the time. They have horrifically whiffed on resigning their own guys like Pat Williams and Winfield. No way I owuld have matched Clements offer but I would have made Jason Peters the highest paid LT in football. They made Dockery the highest paid guard.

Now maybe it is true the Bills can not hire top level coaching talent due to RW. I think there is good evidence that he does something to rub the coaches the wrong way. I think the whole league knows it and that is why they never get a top tier coach - and no Levy was neer a top tier coach. Levy was the beneficary of Polian, Kelly, and Marchibroda.

Lost respect for Bruuuuuuuuuce ever since he stiffed me fan an autograph years ago! I was like 14 years old!

I have not been the same since! I cursed the team due to that!

He signed around 100 autographs for me. He even paid for 4 straight games of centipede against me. I should've known what the future would hold for Bruce and the gang. He was 0-4 in centipede.

Untill Ralph sits on the 50 yard line and says he is sorry to Doug, we are doomed to mediocracy at best!

He'd have to apologize to Polian and John Butler, too.

I'm just asking? What evidence is there that the city and this team can't attract FA's? The Bills have signed guys to big contracts all the time. They have horrifically whiffed on resigning their own guys like Pat Williams and Winfield. No way I owuld have matched Clements offer but I would have made Jason Peters the highest paid LT in football. They made Dockery the highest paid guard.

Now maybe it is true the Bills can not hire top level coaching talent due to RW. I think there is good evidence that he does something to rub the coaches the wrong way. I think the whole league knows it and that is why they never get a top tier coach - and no Levy was neer a top tier coach. Levy was the beneficary of Polian, Kelly, and Marchibroda.

Ralph's a meddling owner - it's just not as prominent as some of the others because Buffalo doesn't get the media attention. I'm sure the whole benching Flutie thing really ticked off Wade Phillips and made the whole 2000 season a mess to deal with. I don't doubt Mike Mularkey saw this after 2005 and got the H out of there. When he tried to release the control to Tom Donahoe, TD failed miserably, so Ralph took things over again.

I'm sure this is widely known around the league, which makes it difficult to attract good GMs and coaches. When you know your decisions are going to be overruled on a weekly basis, then why bother taking the job?