Thoughts on the Cassel situation

bills44

apparently, some KC fans cheered when Cassel was injured during yesterday's game.

This was one of the topics on Mike & Mike this morning.

After the game, Eric Winston went off about the conduct of those fans.

Personally, as frustrating as I find some (all?) of the Bills, I would never cheer an injury to any of them. That said, I fully admit that I probably would cheer injuries to a number of past & present (EDIT: opposing) players (Brady, Wilfork, Welker, Bruschi, R. Harrison, etc).

Edited by bills44

apparently, some KC fans cheered when Cassel was injured during yesterday's game.

This was one of the topics on Mike & Mike this morning.

After the game, Eric Winston went off about the conduct of those fans.

Personally, as frustrating as I find some (all?) of the Bills, I would never cheer an injury to any of them. That said, I fully admit that I probably would cheer injuries to a number of past & present players (Brady, Wilfork, Welker, Bruschi, R. Harrison, etc).

1.) Eric Winston gained a new fan when I heard his admonishment of the KC fans. He is dead on with his words.

2.) As to the bolded, that is just as f*cked up as cheering for your own player when injured. You just don't cheer for injuries. Period. WTF? Is it because we gain a competitive advantage when they're out of the game? That's admitting you can't beat them otherwise and I find that cowardly. Or is it because they're just a$$holes and you're glad they got hurt for that reason alone? Either way, I don't understand it and I really don't care to.

I'll give you points for your honesty, though.

GO BILLS!!!

Flutie fans cheered when Johnson got injured. At my Bills Backers club, the Bills were playing Miami and some middle-aged woman with her blue #7 on stood up repeatedly and yelled "Hit him in the head!" when Johnson was on the field. Later he was injured and she cheered like crazy.

Flutie fans cheered when Johnson got injured. At my Bills Backers club, the Bills were playing Miami and some middle-aged woman with her blue #7 on stood up repeatedly and yelled "Hit him in the head!" when Johnson was on the field. Later he was injured and she cheered like crazy.

Yea, IQ level isn't a requirement to be a NFL fan.

I remember some "Bills fans" cheering when RJ got hurt at the Ralph. It was awful. Prior to that, I had thought that we had the best fans in the world. After that, I realized that, at least some Bills fans, are as bad as the worst fans around the league. Some of these same !@#$s apparently were tweeting Aaron Williams that they were glad he got hurt.

I never could understand why anyone would ever cheer when someone gets hurt -- especially if the guy is on your team.

Edited by Peter

Yea, IQ level isn't a requirement to be a NFL fan.

Oh Please. Rob Johnson was an absolute embarrassment to this organization and a pain to watch. I was often was glad when he was injured (which was practically every time he started). He was such a woose when he got hit. He literally would get up and say "ouuccchh it hurts". Cassell is a much better QB than the "statue". That being said I can understand the KC fans frustration. Their team sucks like us.

Eh, it depends on the nature of the injury. I don't want anyone to suffer an excrutiatingly painful injury like Eric Wood(s) or something that could cause long term damage like a Kevin Everett style injury or a concussion, but if a guy like Brady sprains his ankle or breaks his throwing hand, yeah, I'm glad to hear it. Not because I want him to suffer, but b/c it hurts his team & I want his team to lose. You can call it whatever you want. I don't care. I find overzealous moralizing to be annoying anyway. That being said, I think it's loathsome to cheer your own team's injuries, especially rubbing their noses in it, even if you are glad to see the backup come in.

Oh Please. Rob Johnson was an absolute embarrassment to this organization and a pain to watch. I was often was glad when he was injured (which was practically every time he started). He was such a woose when he got hit. He literally would get up and say "ouuccchh it hurts". Cassell is a much better QB than the "statue". That being said I can understand the KC fans frustration. Their team sucks like us.

I agree. When Johnson got hurt it meant the team had a chance. I won't apologize for being happy about it. I'm sure his millions made up for any discomfort he might have experienced.

Obviously the people who cheered for his injury are idiots and low life. I don't like the implication though (as portrayed in national talk radio and tv yesterday) that KC has a whole lot of horrible fans and the city has embarrassed themselves. Let's face it, it was probably 1,000 or so jerks who cheered out of 70,000 not to mention all the hundreds of thousands who are good and loyal Chiefs fans.

I can guarantee, that if Fitz is having a bad game vs. Tennessee, and lies there after getting drilled, there will be idiots at RWS who cheer. This is not unique to KC imo.

1.) Eric Winston gained a new fan when I heard his admonishment of the KC fans. He is dead on with his words.

2.) As to the bolded, that is just as f*cked up as cheering for your own player when injured. You just don't cheer for injuries. Period. WTF? Is it because we gain a competitive advantage when they're out of the game? That's admitting you can't beat them otherwise and I find that cowardly. Or is it because they're just a$$holes and you're glad they got hurt for that reason alone? Either way, I don't understand it and I really don't care to.

I'll give you points for your honesty, though.

GO BILLS!!!

I do agree with you on this point. I find it disturbing when fans cheer when a player gets injured.

Although I will admit, I wasn't exactly upset when Rodney Harrison had his leg broken, and I wouldn't be broken-hearted if someone took a shot at Vince Wilfork and putting him out for a year.

I know that is bad karma, but guys like Harrison & Wilfork are thugs. Harrison was a dirty player who took pride in his fines & suspensions, and he's rewarded by being an analyst on NBC.

I will never forget when Wilfork delivered an elbow to J.P. Losman's leg/knee. We all saw it, and it was an outrage that he was never fined or suspended. Yet the media still does these glowing stories on him and his wife. Wilfork is nothing but a cheap shot artist!

As Scott Van Pelt said yesterday, it's pretty much batting practice for radio talk show host guy.

No, they shouldn't cheer an injured player. But I can live without the predictable high horse tirades. Is the point of the 'fake outrage' that the fans in New England have superior morals to those in the friendly heartland? KC like Buffalo and Cleveland is a great football town that's tired of watching crappy QB's; and when you're with thousands of other drunks you might do something stupid. Maybe not "premeditated killing dogs stupid" that the same media makes excuses for, but kinda stupid nonetheless.

Whitlock PNWS all of ya...

http://msn.foxsports...t-cassel-100812

Exactly. They inflict violence on each other for our benefit and entertainment, then they criticize us when we cheer for it? Ridiculously hypocritical. Violence for entertainment's sake is the name of the game...who didn't cheer when Kevin Everett broke his neck, or when Andre Waters shot himself in the head?

I remember the same thing happening when I was watching a game at a bar in Tallahassee - Flutie fans cheering every hit on Johnson. My wife and I walked out at halftime, disgusted.

Edited by Bmwolf21

The players are people. They have familes, wives, children watching them play. Daddy gets hit, and is laying on the ground motionless and you hear the crowd cheering?

!@#$ that

Thats not what happened and the context was that Cassell would be removed from the game. THATS what they were "cheering." Not the injury.

Edited by RkFast

Normally speaking I would never cheer if someone got hurt in any sport. There have been 2 exceptions to this rule. 1. Rob Johnson (as I mentioned before) because he was such an overrated wimp and 2. Tom Brady. But only in that game against the Bills of the Jauron era where Bellichick ran up the score with 2 pt converts and keeping Brady in to throw when they were up by 40pts. I have never wanted to see a QB get smashed more than in that game. If Jauron had any balls whatsoever he would have brought every single player on a blitz on every play and have them meet at Brady. I wished that they would have decapitated him that game. Of course Jauron just stood there with the 1000yd stare and just allowed the Pats to completely humiliate us.

In general, I've found fans to be ignorant. Look at what happened in Atlanta, Jacksonville and KC this weekend. Look at what happened on Monday Night- did people really expect Punk just to sit there and take it? If I had been in the crowd, I would have grabbed that guy by the neck and made sure Punk got a hold of him.

Thats not what happened and the context was that Cassell would be removed from the game. THATS what they were "cheering." Not the injury.

The context was that he was removed due to injury. That is the context.

the only time I heard an injury cheered at RWS was when Washington's QB got hurt late in the game (forgot who it was) and Rob Johnson had to come in. The next play, of course was a sack and it was as if the Bills won a Superbowl

I was not at that game, but I do remember the play. There were several people in our club that went crazy during that play.

But ITS OK when Brady calls us EFFING BITCHES, and WILFORK injures our QB and CHANDLER goes down due to an ILLEGAL HIT TO THE HEAD!

I dont care what you guys say but when Brady was hurt a few years ago and missed the season, I WAS HAPPY AS HELL.

They have no class, Screw them, go get hurt!

BUT OBVIOUSLY not A HEAD INJURY. A little ACL here, a broken ankle there, not a big deal.

AND THE FANS CHEER FOR ONE REASON WHEN A PLAYER GETS INJURED...CUZ THEY WANT CHANGE AND MANAGEMENT DOES NOTHING! So when a player gets hurt, it makes CHANGE HAPPEN!

I was at this game. The behavior of the "fans" in the stadium was disgusting that day. There were loud cheers when Johnson was hurt - much more than a few. All day, there were fights in the stands between the Flutie and Johnson proponents. I had my 11 year old son with me at that game. It was embarrassing. To that point I had held on to my season tickets after 15 years living outside of The Buffalo area, but dropped them the next year and have not been back. Sadly, many posters on this board display the same sort of attitude.

I was at this game. The behavior of the "fans" in the stadium was disgusting that day. There were loud cheers when Johnson was hurt - much more than a few. All day, there were fights in the stands between the Flutie and Johnson proponents. I had my 11 year old son with me at that game. It was embarrassing. To that point I had held on to my season tickets after 15 years living outside of The Buffalo area, but dropped them the next year and have not been back. Sadly, many posters on this board display the same sort of attitude.

That was a watershed moment for me as well. I have kept my season tickets even though I live outside of the Buffalo area, but my view of at least a segment of our fan base changed that day. As you mention, there are days when I read posts on this site that confirm this.

Edited by Peter

But ITS OK when Brady calls us EFFING BITCHES, and WILFORK injures our QB and CHANDLER goes down due to an ILLEGAL HIT TO THE HEAD!

I dont care what you guys say but when Brady was hurt a few years ago and missed the season, I WAS HAPPY AS HELL.

They have no class, Screw them, go get hurt!

BUT OBVIOUSLY not A HEAD INJURY. A little ACL here, a broken ankle there, not a big deal.

AND THE FANS CHEER FOR ONE REASON WHEN A PLAYER GETS INJURED...CUZ THEY WANT CHANGE AND MANAGEMENT DOES NOTHING! So when a player gets hurt, it makes CHANGE HAPPEN!

lol I dont think I ever cheered for anyone get hurt on ANY team, not even the JETS! Wilfolk I see why you guys have a problem w but he is not know as a dirty player. Now Mankins on the other hand....

IMO Cheering for any injury is stupid, because YOU as a fan have no CLUEhow serious the in jury is when it happens, Cassel was knocked out and those morons cheered... (small percentage I am sure but still morons.)

Like half the Ralph wouldn't cheer if fitz got hurt

Replace chiefs with bills this weekend and it plays out the same. Sorry to all the moralists here, we've all been to football games it's not a black tie event

As pathetic as that sounds, it's probably true. It's just that football games turn people into scumbags. I also find peopel who get injuried in car accidents and domestic abuse hilarious too.

There are idiots in any large group. Most people are quiet when a player is injured. So it only takes 1K idiots out of the 70K fans there to make it seem that all KC fans were cheering for his injury. I doubt it was anywhere close to most. These clowns are at every stadium.

That was a watershed moment for me as well. I have kept my season tickets even though I live outside of the Buffalo area, but my view of at least a segment of our fan base changed that day. As you mention, there are days when I read posts on this site that confirm this.

Like I said, there are idiots anywhere. The people on this board who call Bills fans "classless" etc. most likely have not been to games in other stadiums. Ever been to a Steelers game? Look, there are even idiots at KC games. Most fans don't cheer for injuries. Giving up your season tickets as a prior poster mentioned to prove a point that does not need to be made does nothing, other than allow you to feel better than the classless idiots.