Let's say the Bills beat the Niners

BisonMan

Suppose the Bills beat the Niners in a reasonably sound way, say 28-17. There is a lot of gnashing of teeth around here this week because they got trounced by the Pats. How much would your personal perception change if the Bills beat the Niners in SF this weekend? Forget whether you think it's likely to happen (it's not) but given the NFL, on any given Sunday...

I realize that some games are "statement" games. Beating the Pats would have been one and losing to them badly likely makes a statement. Beating the Browns and Chiefs were not statements, IMHO. Beating the 49ers would be.

Suppose the Bills beat the Niners in a reasonably sound way, say 28-17. There is a lot of gnashing of teeth around here this week because they got trounced by the Pats. How much would your personal perception change if the Bills beat the Niners in SF this weekend? Forget whether you think it's likely to happen (it's not) but given the NFL, on any given Sunday...

I realize that some games are "statement" games. Beating the Pats would have been one and losing to them badly likely makes a statement. Beating the Browns and Chiefs were not statements, IMHO. Beating the 49ers would be.

Total 180 from what I feel now.

In 100% seriousness, we'd be 3-2, and that's all it would mean...but it would sure be better than being 2-3.

Put the crack pipe down

Why is the thought of the Bills beating the 49'ers this weekend so absurd?

Look at what's happened so far this season. Did everyone expect the Saints to be 0-4, or the Cardinals to be 4-0? The Vikings lost to the Colts, but then they beat the 49'ers. Patriots lost to the Cardinals in Foxboro. Cowboys beat the Giants then lost to the Seahawks.The Raiders got trounced by the Dolphins then came back and beat the Steelers. The Seahawks "beat" the Packers, then turnaround and lose to the Rams.

I'm not saying the Bills are definitely going to beat the 49'ers, but when you consider what has happened so far this season, it's not unlikely.

id feel pretty good...not pretty good about losing two division games, but pretty good about being 500...if we can stick close to 500 for the next 5 weeks we have a good shot at making the playoffs (provided Wanny pulls his head outta his ass and relearns how to coach aggressive defense, and the players perform, and Fitz limits his mistakes and noodle throws) because the end of the schedule is pretty tasty

I hope your right but that would mean Vegas will be wrong by at least 9 1/2 pts. and counting...

I don't know as though it would mean anything for me. Given that they've started off 0-2 in division games, beating the 49ers wouldn't mean a heck of a lot. I've said it before the season started and I'll say it again. They need to beat the Patriots and Jets in the next head to head matchups and sweep the Dolphins. Failure to do that and they're watching the playoffs on their collective couches in December.

I take it one week at a time.

The New York and New England games were a joke.

Should they beat the Niners.........those 2 losses will still be a joke.

Take it one game at a time, but dwell on the ones that piss you off...makes sense.

I'm not that down on the Bills right now. We hung with the Patriots* and had them right where we wanted them through 37 minutes of play. I'm not sure what happened after that, I'm really not. Just like in the Jets game, it wasn't one guy who let us down, it was EVERYONE. It was Fitz, Freddy, Mario, Kyle, EVERYONE played ****ty. I just don't know how that happens, and while it's happened twice in four games, I just have a hard time expecting that kind of performance from our players.

And don't give me any crap about coaching. I banged the drum all during the Jauron-era and I'm not about to quit now: PLAYERS MAKE PLAYS. PLAYERS OVERCOME BAD COACHING IN THE MOMENT.

IT WAS OUR PLAYERS WHO LOST THE GAME ON SUNDAY.

And I have faith our players will bounce back.

I wouldn't be surprised if the Bills gave the 49ers a game, but I was more optimistic before we lost a couple linemen. That being said, the 49ers have issues with teams that run the ball well, and Buffalo certainly has been doing that most of this early season.

I think we match up well vs the 49ers, similar to how Minnesota matched up against them. They played a strong game running the ball with targets to the TE and WR1 - areas I like on our football team.

The question is whether our defense can perform like Minnesota's did. They're certainly built in a similar way with strong line play, but Minnesota is the better defense thus far.

Why is the thought of the Bills beating the 49'ers this weekend so absurd?

Look at what's happened so far this season. Did everyone expect the Saints to be 0-4, or the Cardinals to be 4-0? The Vikings lost to the Colts, but then they beat the 49'ers. Patriots lost to the Cardinals in Foxboro. Cowboys beat the Giants then lost to the Seahawks.The Raiders got trounced by the Dolphins then came back and beat the Steelers. The Seahawks "beat" the Packers, then turnaround and lose to the Rams.

I'm not saying the Bills are definitely going to beat the 49'ers, but when you consider what has happened so far this season, it's not unlikely.

Upsets and surprise teams have been happening in the NFL throughout this twelve year playoff draught. Never for us. I know, 'never' is an exaggeration. We beat the Patriots once in seventeen tries - whoopdee doo!

"Winning division games is a test of a team's manhood"

-TMQ

I agree completely with this. They can upset the 9ers at home be 3-2 and tied for 1st in the AFC East and they would still be the immature sons of the AFC East.

"The Straight line to the playoffs is winning your division games."

-Mike Smith

They need to take care of business in the division before we get excited about the playoffs.

If they make it to 3-3 in the division they may have a shot.

A win against the 9ers will be a nice win but I need to see this 7 loss streak against AFC east openents end before I'm happy again with this team.

Take it one game at a time, but dwell on the ones that piss you off...makes sense.

I'm not that down on the Bills right now. We hung with the Patriots* and had them right where we wanted them through 37 minutes of play. I'm not sure what happened after that, I'm really not. Just like in the Jets game, it wasn't one guy who let us down, it was EVERYONE. It was Fitz, Freddy, Mario, Kyle, EVERYONE played ****ty. I just don't know how that happens, and while it's happened twice in four games, I just have a hard time expecting that kind of performance from our players.

And don't give me any crap about coaching. I banged the drum all during the Jauron-era and I'm not about to quit now: PLAYERS MAKE PLAYS. PLAYERS OVERCOME BAD COACHING IN THE MOMENT.

IT WAS OUR PLAYERS WHO LOST THE GAME ON SUNDAY.

And I have faith our players will bounce back.

I cry like a baby for the entire season :nana:

I apreciate the positive vibe, guys, I really do. But NO WAY is there any chance whatsoever that we win this game. -Harbaugh simply won't have it. Period. You think he doesn't know what a trap game looks like? You think a guy like him would suffer being out-coached by Chan Failey. NO WAY.

Plus, there's the history factor.

No team is going to pass up the chance to make history the way the Patsies did last Sunday. We do WONDERS for opposing offense Stats, and record books.

I'm preparing myself for the most humiliation a person can take without dying of shame. 28-0 Halftime score. Final score 49-10 Niners CRUSH OUR BONES at the Stick.

Now that the Niners have unleashed their wildcat with Kaepernick, I think they've got the potential to score a whole lot more than they used to. Justin Smith can get more pressure on the QB than our entire DL at this point, and we are down two starters on our OL. I really don't see this as a win. We have a much better chance at taking down the Cardinals the following week.

That being said, if we did win the game by a solid margin, I would be relieved, but we still need another big win like that to prove that we are a contender.

Edited by Big C

I expect them to win more games, and even some against tough teams. Out of conference games seem to be "let up" games for many teams. They don't carry the same weight, and teams don't know each other as well, etc.

If the Bills lose to the 49ers, for the first time ever, I'm not gonna watch another game until they win one. That's my new approach, they win I watch the next game. If not, I will wait until they win one to watch again. I have a family, and my free time is getting shorter. I have been through the raised hope/crushing let-down cycle way too many times now, and I'm not sure this organization is really serious about winning.

Until there is an ownership change the Buffalo Bills will continue to perennial losers.

Yeah because Ralph is not doing a good Job snapping the ball at all. Come on people? Do you think that if Ralph didnt own the team the big signings like Mario Williams would pan out better? He let them pull the trigger on this.

To answer the question of the poster, I would be happy of course. Do I think they can, yes I do. I want to think that Sundays loss was a freak thing. Come on Bills prove me right. been watching this team for over 20 years. Watched Norwood go flawless through the year and blow the big game. ANY GIVING SUNDAY. ....Go bills.

Edited by fansince88

I love them to go 2-0 on this West Coast Swing. So much so just put a little sum thin sum thin on em at +350 for Sunday. Points????? I don't need no stinking points.

Cards the Bills of 11...**** can't keep going perfect for them...if they were 1-3 , we would be counting that as an easy win, and they could easily, and should be, o-4.

I love them to go 2-0 on this West Coast Swing. So much so just put a little sum thin sum thin on em at +350 for Sunday. Points????? I don't need no stinking points.

Cards the Bills of 11...**** can't keep going perfect for them...if they were 1-3 , we would be counting that as an easy win, and they could easily, and should be, o-4.

That's the spirit!

Buffalo HAS to beat two below teams in order to have a LEGIT shot at the playoffs. I would say injuries to certain QBs would be the only chance Buffalo has..

Niners

Cards

Texans

Pats

Disagree, the Bills could and likely will lose these four games. If we win the balance and come out 10-6 we still have a shot.

Betting with your heart......dangerous!

Beating the 49ers doesn't get us a division win or even an AFC win. It sounds nice, but in the end (IF, a big IF) we are 8-8 or 9-7 and tied with other teams, it doesn't mean jack squat.

If we can't beat the Pats* or the Jests or even the Fish, we're dead in the water. We need CONSISTENCY, not surprise wins now and then- those get us 7-9 and another year wasted.

My perception about the 49ers being superbowl contenders would change dramatically.