music city mistake poll

on my blog i've had written an article about the music city mistake...  

113 members have voted

1. 1. After all those years what do you think?

• Whatever they may all say It was a forward pass period.
    • It was a lateral/backward pass.They deserved to win.
    • We were cursed anyway, Flutie 'd have won the game by three TDs
    • We were cursed anyway, Flutie 'd have won the next three Superbowls by himself.

If you look at the bodies it would clearly be a forward pass; however the rules are that it's the ball that needs to be backward or latteral; which it was. Good footage and analyses in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhONc6xC48

Let me get my crayons out i'm going to make an animation that directly contradicts their little movie.

It pains me to say/type it but it was a legal play. I saw one of those sports science pieces they do on ESPN about this play and it does show the ball does not actually go forward even though it sure looked like it did.

Frankly, I think they could have called it either way. And, if replay had existed, I don't think it would have overturned the call on the field. It was just that close.

It was awhile ago and I had a few cocktails that day but I thought the play was reviewed and upheld.

If you look at the bodies it would clearly be a forward pass; however the rules are that it's the ball that needs to be backward or latteral; which it was. Good footage and analyses in this video:

My memory is better than the evidence you present. It was a forward pass and we were robbed. :rolleyes:

Edited by Fan in Chicago

One BIG thing you are forgetting about here is that Wade Phillips left too much time on the clock too. I remember watching it thinking..Titans are going to get the ball back. I didnt expect a return kick off, but I figured they would have time for at least a play. He could have run more time off the clock before he kicked the Bills final FG and Titans would have never seen the ball again...This play could have been avoided.

over time, i've mellowed on it some but right after it happened i was in a pretty foul mood and was convinced we'd been robbed. we went to a mall in nashville the next day and i bitched at everyone within a 1/4 mile including the poor store clerks. lucky no one decked me and my wife didn't drive home without me.

It pains me to say/type it but it was a legal play. I saw one of those sports science pieces they do on ESPN about this play and it does show the ball does not actually go forward even though it sure looked like it did.

It was awhile ago and I had a few cocktails that day but I thought the play was reviewed and upheld.

I thought it was before replay...

It was a forward pass. But the ref was afraid to make the right call after reviewing it, knowing he would have been killed by the crowd. And we all agree that #26 got suckered out of his lane, or he would have made the tackle....or slowed the guy down a bit.

Did the replay available show sufficient conclusive proof to overturn the call made on the field? That's the issue.

GO BILLS!!!

Forget about the animation, look at the ball, only the ball, in relation to the line, it goes backwards.

Look at where the ball was thrown from, and look at where it ends. Thats all the matters. When I do that, I see forward pass.

If you look at the flight of the ball relative to the yard line, it appears to move backward, but it is an optical illusion caused by the ball getting closer to the ground as it crosses the feild.

i like the flutie option but maybe not by 3 td's. he was hot as a pistol at the end of that season. rob johnson was worse than fitz, losman or edwards. maybe we should start a thread to compare them.

I wanted Flutie to start, but didn't Rob lead us to the "game winning" field goal. Wade didn't leave too much time on the clock, the ST didn't do their job. I still think it was a foward pass, but too close to overturn.

The most telling thing about this post and the results of the voting: the disproportional bias and lack of objectivity used by participants in this forum. With the use of technology, game footage, and computer animation, it's clear there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the original call - that's all that really matters.

All of you that voted in the majority - can you conclusively state that the ball went forward? If so, you're looking at the world through Bills colored glasses and having any semblance of an intelligent dialogue or debate regarding the Bills is a waste of time.

There are some fantastic, knowledgeable fans who post at TSW, but sadly, there are fair share of nitwits. I'd guess the OP poll reflects the approximate percentage.

The most telling thing about this post and the results of the voting: the disproportional bias and lack of objectivity used by participants in this forum. With the use of technology, game footage, and computer animation, it's clear there wasn't enough evidence to overturn the original call - that's all that really matters.

All of you that voted in the majority - can you conclusively state that the ball went forward? If so, you're looking at the world through Bills colored glasses and having any semblance of an intelligent dialogue or debate regarding the Bills is a waste of time.

There are some fantastic, knowledgeable fans who post at TSW, but sadly, there are fair share of nitwits. I'd guess the OP poll reflects the approximate percentage.

:thumbsup:

i like the flutie option but maybe not by 3 td's. he was hot as a pistol at the end of that season. rob johnson was worse than fitz, losman or edwards. maybe we should start a thread to compare them.

I have never said this before because I really hadn't given it so much consideration but after twelve years I now honestly believe that regardless of that call Flutie would have won the game and he would have taken us to the Super Bowl.

...and I am far from being the biggest Flutie fan.

:cry:

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

I don't think I have ever said this to anyone on this board (maybe I have, but i just don't remember) and I truly do not mean this as any offense to you SouthernMan, but...lighten up.

When is it right or even fair to judge others intelligence based upon inconclusive proof with respect to an issue or event in sports? I think it was a forward pass. I am not offended they called it the way the did or that it was backed up as inconclusive to overturn afterwards. Additionally, the tone of the poll answers in general does not appear to be so laced with scientific study as it is with emotional sentiment, as I am not sure anyone truly thinks that Flutie would have won the next 3 Super Bowls...well, one person thought it. :lol:

So unless one of us is responsible for kicking your mother in the baby maker why don't you go a little easier on those of us whose opinion differs from yours...especially in a harmless poll.

Edited by dollars 2 donuts

If you look at the bodies it would clearly be a forward pass; however the rules are that it's the ball that needs to be backward or latteral; which it was. Good footage and analyses in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wPhONc6xC48

Do you also think there are 10 feet green-blue aliens with cat tails and eyes walking on the set of Avatar?

This is clealy CGI.

It was a forward pass.

For the record I choose option 1 and 3 in your poll. You should have multiple options.

Edited by Why So Serious?

There are days a lot of us feel that way. When clicking on the thread title I was ready for the worst. Truly, after the week we just had - I say go for it if people want to remember that game as a win on our eventual superbowl run that season. Sometimes, you have to not expect good scientific analysis and for a thread on that play happening this week.... This stayed remarkably positive and fun, for the most part.

All true.

We still got jobbed by numerous calls in the 1st half. Of course nobody remembers that.

Forget about the animation, look at the ball, only the ball, in relation to the line, it goes backwards.

Wycheck released the with the ball just short of 31 Dyson catches it just over the 30. The problem with the animation is they don't have dyson catching it at the correct spot. It's forward but I rarely think about this play