So far looks like the Bills made a good choice in Cordy Glenn

Johnathan Martin was taken 1 pick after Cordy Glenn and has been bad but "not God awful"

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-dolphins/fl-miami-dolphins-notebook-0819-20120818,0,1461123.story?track=rss

With the Jets and Dolphins really struggling at the right tacke position the Bills are looking good to take Glenn.

He is the one piece on the oline im worried about. A few false start penalties this season make me wonder how quick he is, does he feel he needs a jump to stay with faster rushers?

Rookies tend to take those penalties while adjusting to the speed of the NFL. He's been better than I expected, but he's still a rookie.

There should be no second guessing this pick. Offensive and Defensive lines are where good teams start from, and without which other talent will not succeed. Even if he is merely good, or average, a 2nd round pick on a LT who can start in the NFL is a good deal. Not to mention - as someone else has - we have Hairston, who played good enough at LT a year ago. These guys will get better, too. So, the overall picture is a Bills O-line with a LOT of young talent. That will make being a contender, and staying one, over the next 4 or 5 years, easier.

Keep in mind - Hairston started sufficiently well last year. Our front office thinks Glenn is better than Hairston. So - it should equate to having a good LT. Wait and see, I guess, but my money is on Glenn performing well. This staff seems to be able to evaluate college talent much better than in years past. We're passing on guys who other teams snatch up and whiff on, while we're taking guys who look good, that other teams have passed on.

Wait and see, I guess, but my money is on Glenn performing well. This staff seems to be able to evaluate college talent much better than in years past. We're passing on guys who other teams snatch up and whiff on, while we're taking guys who look good, that other teams have passed on.

I've been high on Glenn from the beginning and it seems obvious to me anyways that he's much more talented than Hairston.

The Bills evaluators however are not infallible. In the thread on QBs we've passed on, there are some legit questions about some of the recent draft decisions. But yes our evaluators are better than they have been and every team makes a few mistakes each year.

The real head-scratching pick for me this year was the Steelers taking Ohio State tackle Mike Adams. The Steelers draft really well but this is a guy who looks like a right tackle at best and the Steelers were trying to make him a left tackle before he got injured.

Johnathan Martin was taken 1 pick after Cordy Glenn and has been bad but "not God awful"

http://www.sun-senti...story?track=rss

With the Jets and Dolphins really struggling at the right tacke position the Bills are looking good to take Glenn.

I would like to thank the 9 teams drafting in front of us in the 2nd round this past draft for not taking Glenn. I shudder to think whether we would have taken Martin if Glenn was off the board. In all the hoopla leading up to the draft, I was hoping that we don't end with Martin

I definitely liked Martin, but am very happy with Glenn so far. I think he is a true bright spot from camp and preseason. It's early, but I'm excited about having a legitimate LT. I can't remember the last season we weren't worried about that position.

Glenn looks competent at LT which for a rookie is really good. I think that he stands to improve a lot with gaining more experience. Even if he washes out at LT I think he can easily be plugged in at RG or RT and be pro bowl caliber at either position. I loved the Glenn pick I think he was guy that will be looked at as the absolute steal of the draft. There were two offensive linemen drafted before Glenn in the second round (Amini Silatolu, from Carolina 1 pick earlier, and Mitchell Schwartz by Cleveland 37th overall) and I think that a few years from now those teams are going to wounder why he slid that far into the second round.

For the second week in a row, Glenn looked real good.

And while they never showed a replay, the live video of his supposed holding call looked like a ticky tack call IMO.

This.

Yes, I replayed it a few times. Fitz was in the shotgun. Pears' man - their LDE swung wide and Pears lost control of him. Fitz felt the pressure and he scrambled forward. Meanwhile Jason Allen was doing the same against Glenn. Pears' man fell down and Allen fell backwards onto him, and Glenn - while maintaing contact - fell on top of Allen. It was a chicken **** call IMO.

He is the one piece on the oline im worried about. A few false start penalties this season make me wonder how quick he is, does he feel he needs a jump to stay with faster rushers?

After 2 games, he probably does. If / when the game slows down for him, he will be fine

Edited by bobblehead

I would like to thank the 9 teams drafting in front of us in the 2nd round this past draft for not taking Glenn. I shudder to think whether we would have taken Martin if Glenn was off the board. In all the hoopla leading up to the draft, I was hoping that we don't end with Martin

I was not thrilled with anyone not named Kalil or Glenn in the first round as far as potential LT's.

That he fell onto our lap in the second round was and still is amazing. any naysaers are foolish. LT takes time to develop and i consider Glenn ahead of schedule.

I was not thrilled with anyone not named Kalil or Glenn in the first round as far as potential LT's.

That he fell onto our lap in the second round was and still is amazing. any naysaers are foolish. LT takes time to develop and i consider Glenn ahead of schedule.

Am with you 100%. I see a very dull future for Adams and see a lot of shine in Glenns game so far. He has had a couple of false start penalties, but like a few of you have said, it is a faster game and he will need to make adjustments. Any mistakes he has made have been correctable. He'll need to work on bending at the waist so much and get his hips lined up better, but his feet are good and he's managed to keep defenders at bay for the most part. I PVR'd the game and rewound a number of plays to watch individuals. Glenn is not an issue in my eyes.

Those long arms are a GREAT equalizer until he adjusts to the speed of the game. Orapko was able to use his speed to get by only to have Glenn push him out of the way. I thougt for sure Jarod Allen would give him a proper welcome, but I didn't see it.

Now he's going to have moments where we're cussing at the TV and pulling our hair out. I accept that going in as part of the process.

But so far so good.

GO BILLS!!!

Miami is making a huge mistake playing Marting at RT. Any word on what MIke Adams is doing in Pittsburgh? I read he injured a knee but don't know much more. The word was he didn't compete hard enough. Doubt Tomlin would draft him if that truly was the case.

Isn't Adams the one who has fallen to #3 in the rotation? sorry my brain is a bit overloaded lately.

They got Decastro too didn't they?

Edited by 3rdand12

i was on board with glenn in the first round, when he slid to the bills in the second i jumped up and did a stevie j. end zone celebration! it was so bad my 4 year old daughter just shook her head and laughed at me. i think he is going to be good, the question is, does he have what it takes to be great? i am really liking the way this o-line is shaping up.

He'll be fine. Remember in the old days everyone would say a tackle can't start to look decent for a couple of years. He'll make mistakes, but great depth for our team.

We need amazing line play on both sides. Eveyone will look good including Fitz, and CB on both sides when the front is a dominating force. Can't wait.

Go Bills!

Those long arms are a GREAT equalizer until he adjusts to the speed of the game. Orapko was able to use his speed to get by only to have Glenn push him out of the way. I thougt for sure Jarod Allen would give him a proper welcome, but I didn't see it.

Now he's going to have moments where we're cussing at the TV and pulling our hair out. I accept that going in as part of the process.

But so far so good.

GO BILLS!!!

To the bolded, just like a rookie cornerback is gonna get his baptism by fire. Actually Gilmore was beaten a few times against Minny. But yes, Glenn probably won't make the Pro Bowl as a rookie but he's looking damn good.

Miami is making a huge mistake playing Marting at RT. Any word on what MIke Adams is doing in Pittsburgh? I read he injured a knee but don't know much more. The word was he didn't compete hard enough. Doubt Tomlin would draft him if that truly was the case.

The only thing I know is that every time I watched video of Mike Adams at Ohio State, he looked like a big, slow, ponderous, stiff.

Yep. I have no idea what they're thinking.

I watched Glenn play during his entire career at UGA and saw his progression. Great pick and his play does not surprise me at all. Yes he will have his off plays - he is a rookie - but at this point, his only weakness as I see it is getting used to the speed of the game.

There should be no second guessing this pick. Offensive and Defensive lines are where good teams start from, and without which other talent will not succeed. Even if he is merely good, or average, a 2nd round pick on a LT who can start in the NFL is a good deal. Not to mention - as someone else has - we have Hairston, who played good enough at LT a year ago. These guys will get better, too. So, the overall picture is a Bills O-line with a LOT of young talent. That will make being a contender, and staying one, over the next 4 or 5 years, easier.

Keep in mind - Hairston started sufficiently well last year. Our front office thinks Glenn is better than Hairston. So - it should equate to having a good LT. Wait and see, I guess, but my money is on Glenn performing well. This staff seems to be able to evaluate college talent much better than in years past. We're passing on guys who other teams snatch up and whiff on, while we're taking guys who look good, that other teams have passed on.

Hairston was not great, or even good, at LT last year. He played, but gave up a lot......a high draft choice to put in instead of him seemed right to me.

For the second week in a row, Glenn looked real good.

And while they never showed a replay, the live video of his supposed holding call looked like a ticky tack call IMO.

there are alot of ticky tack calls with these rent a refs... and some real bad ones too...!!!

we were very fortunate he fell into 2nd round.That saved the franchise half a yr right there. when we address QB and LB this team will be ferocious.

Isn't Adams the one who has fallen to #3 in the rotation? sorry my brain is a bit overloaded lately.

They got Decastro too didn't they?

He's not starting, not sure if he was 2nd or 3rd. He looked extremely stiff and like a waist bender -- could be the bad knee or that he's destined to be a backup guard.

During the Pitt/Indy game the announcers said he gave up 2 sacks and injured his shoulder in the first preseason game. They also said Pitt moved their RT over to LT since he was injured. So it doesn't sound like he's doing all that great to me.

Riley Rieff seems to be doing well for Detroit, but all in all Glen seems to be progressing nicely and he was a second round choice. Too early to say definitely but Glen is looking like a good choice.

Reiff isn't even starting for Detroit.

Reiff isn't even starting for Detroit.

yeah...but there were actual veteran offensive linemen ahead of him. To be fair Glenn didn't exactly "earn" his way to left tackle, he stepped into a vacuum. Nonetheless he is playing extremely well and is going to be great asset to tthe team.

http://www.freep.com/article/20120813/SPORTS01/120813049/detroit-lions-riley-reiff

Riley Rieff seems to be doing well for Detroit, but all in all Glen seems to be progressing nicely and he was a second round choice. Too early to say definitely but Glen is looking like a good choice.

Reiff was taken in the late 1st round and off the board by #41, right?

yeah...but there were actual veteran offensive linemen ahead of him. To be fair Glenn didn't exactly "earn" his way to left tackle, he stepped into a vacuum. Nonetheless he is playing extremely well and is going to be great asset to tthe team.

http://www.freep.com...ons-riley-reiff

Backus and Cherilus are veteran OL, but Backus is 34 and neither is a world-beater. But like with all rookies, time will tell on Reiff.