Marcus Easley....the new James Hardy

K-Gun10

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Potentially, Easley has a lot of potential. And so does my grundle. :flirt: .

He may not do anything with the opportunity he has been given, but I will pull for him. He is a monster physically and the bigger/stronger a guy seems to be, the better football player he will be if he can master the fundamentals. Is it just me, or did people not get super jazzed about him after that picture surfaced last summer of all our wideouts working out w Fitz and Easley was far more jacked than anyone else?

I wish Easley all the best, but I've said this many, many times: it's insane to count on Easley as a starter after 2 years sitting out. I'd be pissed if Gailey were counting on Easley, because it would show that he doesn't have an alternative plan for a guy who has so far missed the entirety of his first two seasons to injury. It's like what some people chastize the team for in its approach to Merriman, without any history of dominant NFL play to fall back upon. I'm sure Easley's in better football shape and more mentally prepared to play on this team, than, say, me. But he's not competing with me, he's competing with guys who are there every day fighting for the position.

He has very enticing potential, but the Bills are not and should not be in the business of shepherding along prospects at this point. They should be contending for the playoffs and more, and if Easley can't help them do that at some point this year, better than can Hagan or Roosevelt or Jones, the Bills have to give serious thought as to whether Easley belongs on the roster. If he's as talented as some here believe, he shouldn't have any trouble beating those three out. But he's certainly not the lock to start or even make the team that many here have touted him to be based on his one year at UConn or two-thirds of three preseason games and limited training camp time.

It's clear that no one is counting on Easley to be the starter, otherwise he'd be there already. They are giving him a chance to fight for a roster spot, nothing more, nothing less. If he ends up being amazing, sure, he'll be the starter. But until then Donald Jones is #2 with TJ nipping at his heels.

It's clear that no one is counting on Easley to be the starter, otherwise he'd be there already. They are giving him a chance to fight for a roster spot, nothing more, nothing less. If he ends up being amazing, sure, he'll be the starter. But until then Donald Jones is #2 with TJ nipping at his heels.

I can't imagine. Folks around these parts were, but I'm glad it's Gailey, and not them, running the team.

Potentially, Easley has a lot of potential. And so does my grundle. :flirt: .

He may not do anything with the opportunity he has been given, but I will pull for him. He is a monster physically and the bigger/stronger a guy seems to be, the better football player he will be if he can master the fundamentals. Is it just me, or did people not get super jazzed about him after that picture surfaced last summer of all our wideouts working out w Fitz and Easley was far more jacked than anyone else?

uh..............

I do think a Bills WR cut, whoever it is, will get signed by the Pats.

PTR

It sounds like Hagen has impressed Gailey as well. The question becomes does Easley make the roster based on size, speed and potential? Or does Roosevelt make it based on past performance?

Besides I would hate to see Roosevelt in a Pats uniform.

Don't even in say that because Roosevelt would be a great Wes Welker understudy. You can see him excelling at the role. :sick: :sick: :sick:

I live in Charlotte NC and was in Buffalo a couple of weeks ago on vacation. I'm a fan with no real experience of evaluating players. But I went to spring training August 3rd and thought Easley looked very good. I paid close attention to the receivers not only because that's one of more interesting battles, but because a couple days prior to the 3rd Chan mentioned he didn't see much out of them.

In saying all the above I thought Easley showed promise. He caught some nice balls, showed good hands, looked healthy, and basically represented himself well in that particular practice in my opinion.

Don't even in say that because Roosevelt would be a great Wes Welker understudy. You can see him excelling at the role. :sick: :sick: :sick:

Given the amount if time roosevelt spent on the PS where he could have already been signed by the pats*, I doubt belicheat is waiting with baited breath for the bills to cut roosevelt.

Lets face the truth, if Roosie wasn't from UB, no one would even give him a second thought. He'd be considered camp fodder by the board.

1 catch - 12 yards? Whoa!!

I'll be very surprised if Easley makes the 53 man roster.

And what did the 7 year vet(Hagan) alot of people are placing ahead of Easley have? He didn't even show up on the stat sheet while Easley had A run, A catch and A KO return, which is 3 more items Easley had on the stat sheet than Hagan. Not saying Easley is the next coming of Reed, but if you want to bust a guy on production you might want to look a little harder

I thought Easley was a lock but now I'm wondering if Roosevelt is making himself too valuable? They guy knows the offense and catches anything thrown to him.

PTR

The other thing on Roosevelt, you know he is going to field the punt with sure hands. I liken watching McK field punts to playing a slot machine.

its like the fanbase has decided this guy is good when he has done nothing

Agreed. He really has done/proven nothing. Zilch. Everyone's expecting him to be something. Hard to see what you have when you're hurt for 2 straight seasons

I think we have our #2 in TJ Graham. I hated the pick when we selected him. I know its early but after watching him in TC and vs the Skins I really like what I see. Smooth stride almost runs effortlessly. I think the only thing that needs a lot of improvement (other than blocking) are his moves off the snap. We have one of the best in the business (Stevie) to mentor him and teach him effective moves. He may not be the starter week 1 (I think it'll be jones) but being a "starter" doesn't really mean much with our offense. Constantly working with 4-5 Wr sets will give him plenty of opportunities.

Regarding Easley. I thought he had a chance to man the #2 spot going into camp. At this point, he just trying to make the team. Talented, yet not experienced enough. If we cut Hagan and keep Easley, I'll be shocked. There's still 3 preseason games left and I'm eager to see how he does. I hope he makes the team. Stevie, Nelson, Jones, Graham, Hagan and Easley would be my ideal Wr corp. I've always loved Kamar Aiken, so if he comes up big the rest of TC and took easleys spot, I'd be cool with that. I like Naaman, but I like the other guys more. Clowney should be cut right now. Ruvell, while I wish he was cut as well, looked decent vs Washington.

Easley is smart and a good receiver. Why all this hate for him? He was the victim for some unforseen medical conditions, but that could happen

to anyone. Obviously he was good enough to bring him back to camp.Let the coaches decide through the preseason if he is a valid threat or a bust.

They see him daily, so let the experts decide.

its like the fanbase has decided this guy is good when he has done nothing

Lets be clear, the people with high hopes for him get that from the strong showing he had during preseason and lockout last year (before being shut down) and from the all the hype his TEAMMATES gave him, including SJ and Fitz.

So, its not like people just manufactured hype on the kid, the vast majority of it came from within the Bills, specifically other Bills WR's and QB's.

I still think this kid has a ton of upside. But upside doesn't always equal production and he needs to go out and show he belongs or he will be cut. The facts are that he is very athletically gifted with a knack to make spectacular catches (from reports from camp the last 2 years) but struggles with a lot of the fundamentals in terms of route running and getting in and out of some of his breaks. He also has shown a little T.O. syndrome where he takes his eye off the ball too soon because he is starting to look up field for YAC. All this can be attributed to his lack of experience and being raw and are correctable, but the kid is on the clock now.

Bottom line is that its time for him to step up. For me, its too early to tell. Given his lack of on field experience and how much time he missed, I am not surprised if there is some rust. That being said, other WR's are out playing him and if he can't start showing that potential soon, then his spot could be in jeopardy.

Personally, I think he makes this team but unless he blows up the rest of the preseason its looking less likely he starts the season as the #2 wideout (something I expected him to do going into camp given I was not very enamored with the other WR's in terms of potential). But, for him to make this team he needs to do more than he has. Unfortunately for him, its going to be hard for him to stand out if Young and Thigpen keep stinking the field up as right now he is stuck playing with them. So, he has an uphill battle and REALLY needs to maximize his opportunities, especially on his snaps with the first unit in practice. For me, he still has the most upside.

From Fitz:

On the receivers:

I thought

David Nelsonicon-article-link.gif

started out strong since he has not practiced much. He is a guy I know I can rely on and

Scott Chandlericon-article-link.gif

, tight end, has been a guy that is going to have a big part on our offense. I think our relationship with Derek Hagan and Donald Jones has really grown in terms of getting comfortable with those guys and making sure we are on the same page and knowing how they run their routes. We have made a lot of progress in that regard throughout training camp and I think it is just going to get better.

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-2/Transcript-Gailey--QB-Ryan-Fitzpatrick/8cff2e54-5213-4d36-b189-5ae0a8c1b83e

Stevie's a given.

TJ's a given.

I see Fitz mentioning Nelson, Hagan, and Jones.

If we keep 6 WR's Easly might make the team, but they may just keep Martin since he's the better ST's player.

From Fitz:

[/left][/size][/font][/color]

http://www.buffalobi...89-5ae0a8c1b83e

Stevie's a given.
    TJ's a given.

I see Fitz mentioning Nelson, Hagan, and Jones.

If we keep 6 WR's Easly might make the team, but they may just keep Martin since he's the better ST's player.

• jeez, if Chandler's gonna be that big a part of the O, you'd think we'd have an inkling of who's gonna back him up.

I'm bummed about Easley not panning out, as I was really hoping that he would be the anti- Hardly.

Granted, nothing has happened yet. But last years scare with some sort of heart ailment (these guys are so loaded with anabolic agents maybe he couldn't tolerate them- strange we never got more details) that kept him out for an entire season, I was expecting him to come back firing on all cylinders- because he DID look good before he was not cleared to play last year.

Ah, well.

• jeez, if Chandler's gonna be that big a part of the O, you'd think we'd have an inkling of who's gonna back him up.

Lee Smith is backing up Chandler. That's not really any kind of mystery. In fact I'd think it's pretty close to a lock.

Edited by biglukes

Lets be clear, the people with high hopes for him get that from the strong showing he had during preseason and lockout last year (before being shut down) and from the all the hype his TEAMMATES gave him, including SJ and Fitz.

So, its not like people just manufactured hype on the kid, the vast majority of it came from within the Bills, specifically other Bills WR's and QB's.

I still think this kid has a ton of upside. But upside doesn't always equal production and he needs to go out and show he belongs or he will be cut. The facts are that he is very athletically gifted with a knack to make spectacular catches (from reports from camp the last 2 years) but struggles with a lot of the fundamentals in terms of route running and getting in and out of some of his breaks. He also has shown a little T.O. syndrome where he takes his eye off the ball too soon because he is starting to look up field for YAC. All this can be attributed to his lack of experience and being raw and are correctable, but the kid is on the clock now.

Bottom line is that its time for him to step up. For me, its too early to tell. Given his lack of on field experience and how much time he missed, I am not surprised if there is some rust. That being said, other WR's are out playing him and if he can't start showing that potential soon, then his spot could be in jeopardy.

Personally, I think he makes this team but unless he blows up the rest of the preseason its looking less likely he starts the season as the #2 wideout (something I expected him to do going into camp given I was not very enamored with the other WR's in terms of potential). But, for him to make this team he needs to do more than he has. Unfortunately for him, its going to be hard for him to stand out if Young and Thigpen keep stinking the field up as right now he is stuck playing with them. So, he has an uphill battle and REALLY needs to maximize his opportunities, especially on his snaps with the first unit in practice. For me, he still has the most upside.

good post

I thought Easley was a lock but now I'm wondering if Roosevelt is making himself too valuable? They guy knows the offense and catches anything thrown to him.

PTR

And he is valuable on special teams and would allow McKelvin (a bigger bust than Easley IMO) to be cut

Couldn't Easley be put on the P.S. for a year to develop?! I think he will make the team as the 5th or possible the 6th WR (if we keep that many) Really should hold off on judgment until we play a couple more Pre-season games!

Hagan and Namaan more useful on special teams. Backup WRs who cannot excel at special teams usually get cut or if they are very lucky go to P.S. ( I do not believe WRs are kept on P.S. very often.. maybe he will be an exception -- I believe P.S. is usually lineman and linebackers where system knowledge is key and can be plugged in on a weeks notice)..

I think Easley is a good candidate for the PS unless he starts lighting it up. Yes, he had two years off. Why not let him condition and practice for another year and take another look next preseason if he's not ready yet? He's still not playing near the level he ended last preseason, so I know he's likely to grow with a little more time.

I think we go with just 5 WRs: Johnson, Nelson, Graham, Jones, Hagan, supplemented by the RB/FB/HB/TE/Slash positions. Roster spots are too valuable this year for Roosevelt, Martin, Aiken or Easley unless they step it up.

I have a lot of confidence in Roosevelt and like him on the team more than the others (as they are preforming now). I don't think we've seen the end of him this Preseason.

Lets give the kid a few more preseason games before we cut him. I just hope these WR's start running routes that are 1 or 2 yards past the 1st down yardage marker.

Lets give the kid a few more preseason games before we cut him. I just hope these WR's start running routes that are 1 or 2 yards past the 1st down yardage marker.

With a offense designed around a 2 second release by the quarterback it's tough to get downfield.

The operative word is "if". I would love to see Chandler get more opportunities, and not just in red zone situations.

I've heard from players and from Gailey that they will use Chandler more, but i'll believe that when I see it.

It's not hate for Easley. It's hate for each other on this board of brotherly love. Any succes, failure, injury or legal problem by a player is all the excuse many need to come out with the I told you so's and to reiterate whatever their views are on Nix, Gailey, Wilson, Belichick and Obama.

Yeah, the 'I told you so' croud is pretty boring...