Hypothetical: You're an NFL GM with the 1st Overall Pick

Which player do you take?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. Well?

• Robo-Kicker: 100% accuracy from within 60 yards
    • Robo-Punter: Downs the ball out of bounds at the 1-inch line every time
    • Robo-Halfback: Carries the ball exactly 2.49 yards on every down
    • Robo-Wideout: Catches every pass he can get a finger on

One inch line? EVERY TIME? Do you know how many bad things can happen to a team's offense when they start on the one inch line? And punters don't get hurt as often as halfbacks, or even field goal kickers. you could go well into the playoff for over a decade with this guy.

Gotta go with the punter. Did you specify how long their careers are? Most punters can punt till their late 30s so 15 years or so of pinning guys heavily influenced me. I also believe that you can opt to punt on a kickoff yet another good reason.

Edited by BiggieScooby

I chose the kicker. Almost sure points every drive.

disagree. how many times did we not cross the 50? and then turnovers across the 50. id guess the additional points added to the team would be far less than most expect. really we are only talking about missed kicks, and kicks from about 52-60 yards that were passed on. though in late game situations it would be quite nice.

WR was tempting, as im pretty sure unless he is 4'7" with a 13 inch vertical and a 5.4 40 time, you could essentially throw hail marys all day long. he would need to be quadruple covered and it would open up EVERYTHING else.

i chose punter as i think that between safeties, and field position, and turnovers deep (potentially in the endzone) - plus crowd noise, the difficulty of punting from the back lien of the endzone - it just totally changes the game. unless you have the worst D ever, you would only have to score a handful of points to win and those points would all come on very short fields.

the RB is an interesting one. its also probably closest to the most possible. 2.49 yards is darn near just tripping on the line of scrimmage and falling forward. the math on how that would change games, and how you would call plays would be interesting to see worked out. essentially it would always start out as 1st and 2.53

I think you go with the HB, not the punter.

Say you draft the punter; the HB will go second overall. These will likely be the two best teams, and in head to head match ups, I think the HB team has the advantage. They could march it off the goalline and then try to pick up a few yards on 2nd or 3rd down.

Choose wisely.

EDIT: In regards to Robo-Halfback, 2.5 yards on every down would be too obvious a choice.

a WR that catches every pass would be the best way to go bc he would always get a first down as he isn't going to run any short routes and will always score a Touchdown. Theoretically you' throw it to him every time and eventually he would score and you would score a TD on every drive.

BTW your Roboback is lame, 2.5 yds!? good Lord it would take you all day to score and the refs would have to measure every first down. 5.5 yds would be more like it and for viewing enjoyment 12 yds a crack would be a lot better.

a WR that catches every pass would be the best way to go bc he would always get a first down as he isn't going to run any short routes and will always score a Touchdown. Theoretically you' throw it to him every time and eventually he would score and you would score a TD on every drive.

EXACTLY!!!! Throw up a bomb with a strong-armed QB and the receiver wins EVERY TIME? That's too easy...

EXACTLY!!!! Throw up a bomb with a strong-armed QB and the receiver wins EVERY TIME? That's too easy...

The only reason I didn't pick him was we knew no details - I know you put me out there with amazing hands, I'm not getting hands on everything (perhaps not on anything!) but. You put a guy that's 6'5 and runs a 4.3 and suddenly it's the most valuable player in the history of the league

I chose the kicker. Almost sure points every drive.

the RB would get a guaranteed TD on every drive. Run on every down and you are guaranteed a 1st down every time. Just methodically drive down the field,chew up clock and score. if your D makes one stop, you are guaranteed to win the game.

the RB would get a guaranteed TD on every drive. Run on every down and you are guaranteed a 1st down every time. Just methodically drive down the field,chew up clock and score. if your D makes one stop, you are guaranteed to win the game.

but, but, but ....assuming he ran the ball 4 straight times at 2.49 yards per carry wouldn't he be one chain link short of a first down after 4th down ?

Only the punter is extra special here.

I've seen kickers have 5 for 5 days (or whatever) kicking FGs.

I've seen RBs carry 20 times for 49.8 yards in a game

I've seen WRs catch every pass that wasn't intercepted or out of their range.

But I've never seen a punter put every kick on the 1-inch line.

You take the RB cuz if you're guaranteed 2 1/2 yards on every 4th down, then all the sudden you're playing every possession at 1st and 7 1/2 instead of 1st and 10. All you do is spread the field and run 8 yrd routes with a couple guys on every down and if you just complete 33% of your passes you're guaranteed to move the chains every time.

And with your running production already locked in and the ball usually coming out in less than 2.5 seconds you wouldn't have to spend many valuable resources on your OLine; you could build yourself a pretty fierce defense to compliment your unstoppable offense. And if you played your cards right you'd have even more resources to spend on extra flexible cheerleaders.

I don't know about you dummies but I'd spend every Sunday night celebrating my 55-20 win with my highly paid cheerleader squad. :beer:

You take the RB cuz if you're guaranteed 2 1/2 yards on every 4th down, then all the sudden you're playing every possession at 1st and 7 1/2 instead of 1st and 10. All you do is spread the field and run 8 yrd routes with a couple guys on every down and if you just complete 33% of your passes you're guaranteed to move the chains every time.

And with your running production already locked in and the ball usually coming out in less than 2.5 seconds you wouldn't have to spend many valuable resources on your OLine; you could build yourself a pretty fierce defense to compliment your unstoppable offense. And if you played your cards right you'd have even more resources to spend on extra flexible cheerleaders.

I don't know about you dummies but I'd spend every Sunday night celebrating my 55-20 win with my highly paid cheerleader squad. :beer:

technically, this is the only right answer now that i think about it. 3 yards on 1st, 2nd, or 3rd down guarantees to move the chains. No brainer.

Only the punter is extra special here.

I've seen kickers have 5 for 5 days (or whatever) kicking FGs.

I've seen RBs carry 20 times for 49.8 yards in a game

I've seen WRs catch every pass that wasn't intercepted or out of their range.

But I've never seen a punter put every kick on the 1-inch line.

Your ignoring the "they would never even attempt that pass/kick" factor

Technically on 1st you'd only need 2.53 yards.

Is everyone who's picking robo RB missing the fact that he does NOT guarantee a 1st down? The OP put 2.49 for a reason. If it was 2.50 then every person who's ever watched football picks the RB. BUT 2.49 means you have to pass, or use another RB at some point. 2.49 yards on 4 attempts is .04 yards short of a 1st down.

I feel like no one is taking into account the marketing aspect of all of this. How are you going to sell tickets to your games when the centerpiece of your team is a running back that never gains more than 2.49 yards a carry? People will fall asleep waiting for your 30 play drive to finish.

Robo punter is something you can sell like some sort of circus freak. People would go nuts over robo punter.