RD 6, Pick # : G Mark Asper - Oregon

SDS

Reaction?

I thought they would pick a true center. He is RT/RG. Training camp fodder and will push Jasper to the street.

Another LB that can play special teams, a developmental TE, or Kellen Moore would have been better.

Cant blame Nix for wanting OL depth after the injuries last year.

Dude is big. 6'6". But his age scared off teams. (Served 2-year Mormon mission in Spain.) But you aren't going to find anyone at this stage of the draft that doesn't come with a bit of risk.

Trained for the combine at the IMG Sports Performance Training Institute.

Depth on the Oline is a good thing. Maybe Mark and Big Mike can be part of that. Hey -- the Asper and Jasper show!

Great - a 27 years old practice squad player. Why not just invite Kyle Calloway back and then cut him again.

I think it's time for the old "what do you expect out of a 6th round pick?" response...not picking on you, but at this point it's just getting guys you think have a "flash" of something and are giving them a look-see.

Unless, of course, you fall blind-ass lucky into Tom Brady or Terrell Davis.

Curious pick, some writeups say he fits best into a zone blocking scheme. I never heard of the guy, but this late, I'll take the word of our scouts.

I'd still love to get a big WR, hoping McNutt or Streeter is still there in the 7th (but Nix said he is going to draft a QB at sometime so hmmmm)

There's nothing wrong with adding some depth along the offensive line. I like it, its a solid late pick and my guess is that he probably would've went a little higher if not for his age.

why add depth when you can just steal from practice squads, get a play maker Markelle Martin is a good safety they could have gotten.

1335644117[/url]' post='2451753']

We're coming out of this draft looking less like a block of Jarlsberg Swiss Cheese and more like a rough spackled wall. Far fewer weak spots now. Wow!

That's exactly how I see it! We have pretty well addressed every area of need in this off season (although, WR a little less so). But, if these picks pan out to be starters (in some cases) and decent depth (in others), this team going forward is completely rebuilt in 3 years.

Obviously, it depends upon how these guys play, so I'm not calling it job complete. But what I like is Buddy is addressing the areas of need and doing it in a way that should work. In some respects, I would argue that that's all the GM can do. Now its up to the players and coaches to do their jobs.

I am absolutely loving this draft and off season as a whole.

We looked better at O-Line b/c we threw in 2.5 seconds. The coaching and mgmt just won't say it, but they want that extra second so maybe god forbid we get SJ, Easley, Spiller, Fast Freddy, Chandler, etc. open by a half second.

Yeah, seriously. You can read between the lines in all of Nix & Gailey's O-line quotes. They're smart enough and classy enough not to throw their current guys under the bus, but they saw the same thing we all did last year -- the O-line was made to look good b/c of the quick-release offense. And we struggled mightily against teams who realized that you only have to cover our receivers for 2.5-3 seconds.