All this talk about Floyd being #2 to Stevie.

If the Bills end up taking Michael Floyd it won't be all that long before we are talking about Stevie being a nice #2 to compliment Floyd. Floyd is more talented by a pretty good margiin and an all around physical beast at the WR spot. If the Bills take him everyone will be very pleased after watching him play a few games in a Bills uniform. And the cold won't be a problem either, kid grew up in freakin' Minnesota.

If the Bills end up taking Michael Floyd it won't be all that long before we are talking about Stevie being a nice #2 to compliment Floyd. Floyd is more talented by a pretty good margiin and an all around physical beast at the WR spot. If the Bills take him everyone will be very pleased after watching him play a few games in a Bills uniform. And the cold won't be a problem either, kid grew up in freakin' Minnesota.

Whatever helps the team win, I'm in favor of

He was a more talented COLLEGE player. Until hes played in the NFL hes nowhere near Stevie's level. Some players adjust and others falter with the transition to the NFL.

He was a more talented COLLEGE player. Until hes played in the NFL hes nowhere near Stevie's level. Some players adjust and others falter with the transition to the NFL.

This. I don't care how good you are in college, it doesn't mean diddly until you earn your stripes in the NFL.

I agree with some who say number 1, number 2, etc., doesn't mean much. Stevie fulfills a role, and Floyd would, too. I am in favor of the type of system where the recievers are all capable of getting deep, of going up and getting a jump ball, and of cross routes. That way the defense cannot take away one guy and ruin a gameplan.

The Bills have been far too reliant on one reciever for a long, long time now. It hasn't been since Molds and Price that we've had a multie threat WR corps. And that wasn't even all that even. Stevie can do many things on the field, and furthermore, he can beat single coverage, even by the best - that is valuable. Double coverage gives him trouble, as it does most recievers. So, if we can get another reciever to draw coverage, or split coverage, that will allow for them to each get honest shots. Still, though, we want a third reciever to really make defenses truly blind - and if we add Floyd, I think that guy would be Easley. If he stays healthy.

Floyd, and a capable LT in the early rounds would really make this offense dangerous. We've got the two running backs... This will be a fun year.

First the Bills have to draft him. Then he has to demonstrate he can play well in OTAs and Pre Season then he has to play well in the NFL then you can debate who is #1 and who is #2.

If Miami takes Floyd before the Bills do, then you will all be hoping he gets too crazy in the Miami night life and is a bust.

So lets wait until May.

Not to mention "#1" and "#2" is more fan speak then NFL speak.

Edited by Why So Serious?

Exactly...Stevie's Game is awful good at the NFL level now...Wonder how many yards Floyd would have vs. Revis? ;)

Nothing against Floyd...He'll be a different style of NFL WR than Stevie is anyway...But it's going to take a while before Floyd is in Stevie's league...Stevie has figured out how to get open consistently...And that is REAL hard in the NFL... B-)

I agree with some who say number 1, number 2, etc., doesn't mean much. Stevie fulfills a role, and Floyd would, too. I am in favor of the type of system where the recievers are all capable of getting deep, of going up and getting a jump ball, and of cross routes. That way the defense cannot take away one guy and ruin a gameplan.

The Bills have been far too reliant on one reciever for a long, long time now. It hasn't been since Molds and Price that we've had a multie threat WR corps. And that wasn't even all that even. Stevie can do many things on the field, and furthermore, he can beat single coverage, even by the best - that is valuable. Double coverage gives him trouble, as it does most recievers. So, if we can get another reciever to draw coverage, or split coverage, that will allow for them to each get honest shots. Still, though, we want a third reciever to really make defenses truly blind - and if we add Floyd, I think that guy would be Easley. If he stays healthy.

Floyd, and a capable LT in the early rounds would really make this offense dangerous. We've got the two running backs... This will be a fun year.

EASLEY is just as much a ghost as Floyd. They have both played the same amount of NFL regular season games.

The Bills have two threats between the hash marks that defenses have to respect today. CHANDLER and Nelson.

Floyd would give the Bills a possible second outside threat plus FJax and Slipper coming out of the backfield, it makes for some seriously sick skilled players on oftener.

You got a strong core at interior offends line, G to G. The only weak spots are LT and people can debate Fitz all they want.

I agree that the #1 or #2 receiver thing is so outdated and irrelevant in a spread offense.

I also think our starting four WR's after the dust settles from camp will be Stevie, Nelson, Jones and Hagan (maybe Easley). Throw in Chandler at TE and they give you QB chemistry, size, blocking and toughness. And they get open.

We don't need to burn our 1st round pick on a head case WR, we need to keep focusing on fixing what is broken. OT, linebacker depth, another corner etc.

We need can't-miss picks. Talent and character. Floyd is too risky at a position we're already good at. Buddy is going to just go to his board after the Miami pick and I don't think Floyd will be ranked high enough for us to take him there. My guess is OT, LB, corner, WR in the first four.

Honestly what does #1 or #2 really mean? Giants had nicks,manningham and Cruz, and all were key guys. It's not like every play one guy had a lock on being the first read.

When you have quality WRs the pecking order becomes inconsequential.

Yes I'd like Floyd, btw

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Let's not sell Donald Jones short. He didn't do much initially thrust into the #2 role, but started coming into his own before he went down the second time. Fitz also has confidence in him.

Not saying the Bills couldn't use at least one more highly talented WR, but there are some decent options currently on the roster. Given last season's injuries at the position, the more the merrier...

I'm not particularly high on Jones, but I watched the replay of the Pats* comeback game and Jones had an outstanding day. He was consistently open, caught a bunch of balls, and was clearly open on deep routes a number of times. Gailey specifically mentioned after the game how he was a good deep threat. I wonder if he'll be better this year with some experience under his belt.

I agree that the #1 or #2 receiver thing is so outdated and irrelevant in a spread offense.

I also think our starting four WR's after the dust settles from camp will be Stevie, Nelson, Jones and Hagan (maybe Easley). Throw in Chandler at TE and they give you QB chemistry, size, blocking and toughness. And they get open.

We don't need to burn our 1st round pick on a head case WR, we need to keep focusing on fixing what is broken. OT, linebacker depth, another corner etc.

We need can't-miss picks. Talent and character. Floyd is too risky at a position we're already good at. Buddy is going to just go to his board after the Miami pick and I don't think Floyd will be ranked high enough for us to take him there. My guess is OT, LB, corner, WR in the first four.

And how is Michael Floyd a "headcase"? Just feel like throwing that out there for the fun of it? Yep, he got a DUI. And yes he was cited for underage drinking at two college parties prior to that. Regular axe murderer, huh?

I'm not particularly high on Jones, but I watched the replay of the Pats* comeback game and Jones had an outstanding day. He was consistently open, caught a bunch of balls, and was clearly open on deep routes a number of times. Gailey specifically mentioned after the game how he was a good deep threat. I wonder if he'll be better this year with some experience under his belt.

He'd better be better!

And he was another guy that fell into the in / out of being hurt in the middle/end of the year. A lot of these guys got great in game experience that can only help them going forward.

Another game to see him do well in is the Oakland game the week before - that fourth down catch was insanely hard and under-appreciated.

I've been a front runner in the let's get Floyd in the draft marathon if Ingram is gone or if we can't trade down. But even that being said, the kid is a rookie. He will be humbled in to the #2 WR position until he proves he's a #1.

First the Bills have to draft him. Then he has to demonstrate he can play well in OTAs and Pre Season then he has to play well in the NFL then you can debate who is #1 and who is #2.

If Miami takes Floyd before the Bills do, then you will all be hoping he gets too crazy in the Miami night life and is a bust.

So lets wait until May.

Not to mention "#1" and "#2" is more fan speak then NFL speak.

If Miami gets him you're right. We wouldn't want to succeed as much. But just as long as the Jets don't get him I'm fine.

Should remember that WR take about 3 years to really develop if they do. See Eric Molds.

And how is Michael Floyd a "headcase"? Just feel like throwing that out there for the fun of it? Yep, he got a DUI. And yes he was cited for underage drinking at two college parties prior to that. Regular axe murderer, huh?

I'm a head case too then, I drank at many college parties while underage

I've been a front runner in the let's get Floyd in the draft marathon if Ingram is gone or if we can't trade down. But even that being said, the kid is a rookie. He will be humbled in to the #2 WR position until he proves he's a #1.

If Miami gets him you're right. We wouldn't want to succeed as much. But just as long as the Jets don't get him I'm fine.

I really hop Miami wastes a top pick on WR they have so many needs that WR does not make them any better of a team.

I do like Floyd but I'm solidly in the LT camp now. MY question is Martin or Reiff? WR can be filled easily in the later rounds. with the talent we have mostly being mid tier we do need a solid #2 so I wont be upset if the Bills grab one early just not the way id go.

I've read everything from Floyd just being a college kid to him being an alcoholic. What's the real story?

PTR

I've read everything from Floyd just being a college kid to him being an alcoholic. What's the real story?

PTR

The real story is he was as much of an 'alcoholic' as ever other college kid, but as a high profile athlete everyone took notice when he got an underage drinking summons and later a DUI. After the DUI they suspended him from the team (basically spring practice), and I'm guessing Brian Kelly advised him to get his sh-- together before he blew his NFL career. Floyd responded by moving back onto campus and distancing himself from some of his buddies and focusing on his senior season, in which he was a model citizen and outstanding player.

IMO there is no more personal risk with Floyd than with anyone else.

Edited by KD in CT

there has been a lot of floyd man crushing going on around here. im not against him but this is my take on it if you care.

nix/gailey have said they need the right high quality character guys and i think the are very wary about letting those bad apples in to it.

nix/gailey have also stated they want a wr who can stretch the field and be open when hes not open(double teams and jump balls)

nix has also stated how deep this draft is at WR/DE

so floyd has some alcohol issues that he cleaned up for his last season and he is a college kid who doesnt drink? how many of those kids are being drafted in the first round at the most primadona head case position?

i dont doubt that floyd has skills. IMO nix/gailey have him bumped down the draft board a little because of the off field stuff.

PTR

For some reason many people see he had three alcohol related incidents and twist it into him having THREE DUI'S. I see this all the time. Not sure if people simply falsely assume that any alcohol related offense means it must have been a DUI or if it is yet another Notre Dame hater trying to use it as some more "Bash ND" material.

For some reason many people see he had three alcohol related incidents and twist it into him having THREE DUI'S. I see this all the time. Not sure if people simply falsely assume that any alcohol related offense means it must have been a DUI or if it is yet another Notre Dame hater trying to use it as some more "Bash ND" material.

I haven't seen any post say that he's had 3 DUIs. I have seen several say 3 alcohol-related incidents, including a DUI.

I just don't see Floyd as that ultra-talented - way-better-than-other-prospects guy that warrants taking any risk related

to his off-field problems. Many here obviously disagree. I just worry that if he had those problems in college, might

it escalate when he gets a boat-load of money in the NFL.

The real story is he was as much of an 'alcoholic' as ever other college kid, but as a high profile athlete everyone took notice when he got an underage drinking summons and later a DUI. After the DUI they suspended him from the team (basically spring practice), and I'm guessing Brian Kelly advised him to get his sh-- together before he blew his NFL career. Floyd responded by moving back onto campus and distancing himself from some of his buddies and focusing on his senior season, in which he was a model citizen and outstanding player.

IMO there is no more personal risk with Floyd than with anyone else.

Truly, we just don't know on just about any of these guys, and to act like its that clear cut is silly in my opinion. Unless guys totally spiral out of control AND get caught along the way - how they deal with and how big there demons are is a mystery to us. Not getting arrested, and having a good PR firm doesn't mean he was squeaky clean. I hope for his sake, even if he is in Miami, that he has gotten his act together. What I will say is that either he is about the unluckiest college kid around, or he did have more of a personal issue with alcohol than average to get popped on alcohol related charges repeatedly. Maybe ND is a different culture but I can't think of many of my peers graduating with multiple run ins with the police, and star athletes were left to skate on incidents most of the time (ie, to have multiple documented run ins often means many more undocumented).

The incidents are significant red flags but certainly don't preclude him from huge success moving forward.

I haven't seen any post say that he's had 3 DUIs. I have seen several say 3 alcohol-related incidents, including a DUI.

I just don't see Floyd as that ultra-talented - way-better-than-other-prospects guy that warrants taking any risk related

to his off-field problems. Many here obviously disagree. I just worry that if he had those problems in college, might

it escalate when he gets a boat-load of money in the NFL.

To be hit 3 times, likely means there was a lot more than 3 questionable nights in his past. The repetition is also a huge red flag to look at what the root cause was and if it has been seriously addressed. An answer we will never truly have on this board. His image has too much money riding on it to get a straight answer unless one of us knows him very closely.

"That's nice, Sonny, but This here's the Fleet"

Some players transition easily to the NFL, and some take a while. Stevie is #1 around here until someone else on the team gets open more often against NFL DBs and comes down with the ball more often at the end of the play.

To be hit 3 times, likely means there was a lot more than 3 questionable nights in his past. The repetition is also a huge red flag to look at what the root cause was and if it has been seriously addressed. An answer we will never truly have on this board. His image has too much money riding on it to get a straight answer unless one of us knows him very closely.

I agree that if you were noticed 3x there was obviously many more that we don't know about. I don't think its that uncommon for guys between 18-22 to mix it up a bit, especially in a college atmosphere. I hope most would refrain from putting a label on anyone without knowing all the facts. As with anyone time will tell how he matures, and it goes to show that evaluating character is just as important and hard as talent.

Truly, we just don't know on just about any of these guys, and to act like its that clear cut is silly in my opinion.

Which is why I wrote "there's no more personal risk with Floyd than with anyone else". The question was 'is this guy a problem child' and the answer I gave is basically, 'there's no credible reason to believe so'. The fact that he got busted for having a beer in his hand when he was 19 or got pulled over one block from campus after drinking makes him just like 90% of college students -- only less lucky. And South Bend doesn't automatically hand out freebies to athletes like they do in Miami or elsewhere.

If you consider a college student drinking alcohol to equal "a questionable night" than you must have a very small list of players to choose from on draft day.

Which is why I wrote "there's no more personal risk with Floyd than with anyone else". The question was 'is this guy a problem child' and the answer I gave is basically, 'there's no credible reason to believe so'. The fact that he got busted for having a beer in his hand when he was 19 or got pulled over one block from campus after drinking makes him just like 90% of college students -- only less lucky. And South Bend doesn't automatically hand out freebies to athletes like they do in Miami or elsewhere.

If you consider a college student drinking alcohol to equal "a questionable night" than you must have a very small list of players to choose from on draft day.

Well, drinking and driving is a bad choice. Thats more than just having a drink. And having 3 run ins with the police, is more than luck - its being hard headed at risk of losing millions. Any guy may have issues we don't know about, but with Floyd- unless he was the least lucky college kid out there- we know has some troubles. He may get by it, but a few months without an arrest isnt proof he has.

I like him too - but I think it's silly to totally dismiss it

The fact that we went hard after Meachem makes me think we might take Floyd if he's there at 10. I don't know enough about him to say if we should or not. I actually would prefer a LT with the first pick. I think we're thinner at that position than WR. But at 10 you have to get a starter so to me that's more important than which position you take.

I'm just hoping that Easley can stay healthy so we can see what he can do. He looked like he had potential coming out of college but he really hasn't had a chance to prove anything in the NFL.

I'm torn between taking a WR and T in the first round. We need talent around Stevie Johnson. And not the scrubs we just resigned for what I suppose are special teams purposes. However I can understand the reasoning to take a T to give Fitzpatrick more than 2 seconds to throw. Those quick slants over the middle were easy for teams to jump.

Michael Floyd will be an outstanding pick.. All this BS from those that say he has never caught a ball in the NFL and thus is not qualified is just gibberish from a bunch of idiots. Pure gibberish. Grab Floyd in rd 1, a CB in rd 2 and wait for an LT to get cut or resign Bell.

Edited by jumbalaya

Floyd makes the team better. I don't care what you call him.

Truly, we just don't know on just about any of these guys, and to act like its that clear cut is silly in my opinion. Unless guys totally spiral out of control AND get caught along the way - how they deal with and how big there demons are is a mystery to us. Not getting arrested, and having a good PR firm doesn't mean he was squeaky clean. I hope for his sake, even if he is in Miami, that he has gotten his act together. What I will say is that either he is about the unluckiest college kid around, or he did have more of a personal issue with alcohol than average to get popped on alcohol related charges repeatedly. Maybe ND is a different culture but I can't think of many of my peers graduating with multiple run ins with the police, and star athletes were left to skate on incidents most of the time (ie, to have multiple documented run ins often means many more undocumented).

The incidents are significant red flags but certainly don't preclude him from huge success moving forward.

2 of the instances occurred when he was at home, not Notre Dame. But ND is notorious for heavy drinking. It's in the middle of nowhere and the club scene is not great, so there are a TON of house parties. I should know, I threw enough of them.

Well, drinking and driving is a bad choice. Thats more than just having a drink. And having 3 run ins with the police, is more than luck - its being hard headed at risk of losing millions. Any guy may have issues we don't know about, but with Floyd- unless he was the least lucky college kid out there- we know has some troubles. He may get by it, but a few months without an arrest isnt proof he has.

I like him too - but I think it's silly to totally dismiss it

I agree but the ND campus is different from Ohio St. or Alabama.

You don't get a pass just because you're on a football scholarship.

There are only 12,000 students.

Maybe a security guard had it out for him..its a small.campus mostly everyone knows mostly who/what everyone is doing.

Floyd makes the team better. I don't care what you call him.

2 of the instances occurred when he was at home, not Notre Dame. But ND is notorious for heavy drinking. It's in the middle of nowhere and the club scene is not great, so there are a TON of house parties. I should know, I threw enough of them.

Just ask this guy.

Edited by Why So Serious?