Demetrius Bell - Now an Eagle

• Replies 422
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The NFL veteran minimum for a player in his 5th year is $635,000.

It's hard for me to believe that the Bills contract offer uses this number as the starting point.

Interesting point. Bell's 2011 salary was $569,125 according to one source.

Personally, if I were offered a $106,000 raise, I wouldn't be all insulted and stalk off but then, I'm not an NFL player.

It wouldn't shock me if the Bills started with veteran minimum plus a signing bonus, then put in incentives for games played and so forth - "stay healthy and we'll double your money"

It wouldn't be reasonable to expect a player to sign a 2nd contract for vet. minimum if he's a starting left tackle on any team.

We will pick a LT either way because Bell is simply not durable enough to count on for an NFL season. He hurts that shoulder every year, forget all the knee and ankle stuff, a guy like that takes reps away from us having consistency at our most important Oline spot.

I'd rather have a dude that has 80% of the talent but solid durability so I know we aren't going into the playoffs with another patched up line.

Haven't seen this posted here, apologies if I missed it.

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2012/03/26/nix-update-on-demetrius-bell/

Sounds like Buddy's set on Hairston at LT.

“Demetrius wanted to test the market I think and we told him to go ahead and do that,” said Nix. ”We made him an offer and didn’t hear anything back from him so I assume they’re looking for something else.”

“Chris Hairston did a good job for us and we think he can handle it,” said Nix. ”We’re not concerned about it.”

It's weird. I swear those are the exact same words that he used just before free agency started. He remains mighty consistent.

Unlike Nix though, _I_ have concerns about it! I thought Hairston did an admirable job for a rookie RT playing LT. But I never felt like I was watching our clear future LT. I did feel that way watching Bell's potential.

It's weird. I swear those are the exact same words that he used just before free agency started. He remains mighty consistent.

Unlike Nix though, _I_ have concerns about it! I thought Hairston did an admirable job for a rookie RT playing LT. But I never felt like I was watching our clear future LT. I did feel that way watching Bell's potential.

Agree 100% on everything. Thought his footwork was slow on pass plays but maybe part of it was because of it being his first year here. Buddy/Chan feel Hairston is the main at LT so we'll see how it goes.

I get the sense the Bills think that if Bell was a bit tougher, he'd spend less time in the trainer's room. He doesn't seem to want to fight through the pain like a warrior should. Just IMO, I could well be wrong.

I get what you're saying Coach Tuesday, but how could the guy play through a broken collarbone? Remember, at first it was reported it was a shoulder injury but when they did the MRI it turned out to be a completely broken collarbone - no one can play through that.

A one year deal. Its simple and works for everyone. A deal like this allows the Bills to get by this year since the tackles behind Kalil in the draft are clearly not ready to start at LT day one. This also gives them the breathing room to mature a younger tackle, such as Hairston, or my preference of spending a round 3 pick on a Bobbie Massie. For Bell this is also a great opportunity because despite his trips to Washington, Arizona, and Green Bay has emerged without a contract. This is most likely because his injury history greatly diminishes his worth. So my solution is a one year 4 million contract. If he can prove his injuries are behind him he's ready for his fat check and we're able to prepare for his departure.

A one year deal. Its simple and works for everyone. A deal like this allows the Bills to get by this year since the tackles behind Kalil in the draft are clearly not ready to start at LT day one. This also gives them the breathing room to mature a younger tackle, such as Hairston, or my preference of spending a round 3 pick on a Bobbie Massie. For Bell this is also a great opportunity because despite his trips to Washington, Arizona, and Green Bay has emerged without a contract. This is most likely because his injury history greatly diminishes his worth. So my solution is a one year 4 million contract. If he can prove his injuries are behind him he's ready for his fat check and we're able to prepare for his departure.

My vote is for a two-year deal, close to minimum for salary, but with bonuses for playing time.

Word is that the Bills did make him an offer...but Bell/his manager never came back with a counter. we dont knwo what the offer was/is. The fact that they never made a counter offer tells me he doesnt want to come back.

I get the sense the Bills think that if Bell was a bit tougher, he'd spend less time in the trainer's room. He doesn't seem to want to fight through the pain like a warrior should. Just IMO, I could well be wrong.

Injury after injury. Hope we dont re-sign him. Your post seems spot on to me. Need a guy to push himself, not warm the bench at every fart stuck cross-ways.

Did you feel like you were watching the Bills' clear future LT in Bell in 2009 (before injury)?

I think it helped that Hairston was a LT in college. While I want to draft an LT high, I was impressed with Hairston, and think he could develop into something. I like that he can play LT and RT. Good kid.

I think it helped that Hairston was a LT in college. While I want to draft an LT high, I was impressed with Hairston, and think he could develop into something. I like that he can play LT and RT. Good kid.

Thats the tough call. we all know the arguments against Hairston. But consider the situation he was put in. And let's discount his prototypical size malarkey. If Buddy and Co. think Hairston can start and be adequate, that gives them alot of options and some time.

i would be surprised if they have not decided his long term position yet. Or if he does not improve much wil he not rise above swing tackle backup. And hey thats not a bad guy to have there! But those guys who are around him and coaching him up probably know his capabilities by now. And they sure as hell are not going to tell us. Much less likely the opposition that we might have a star here. Especially at draft time.

Mark me down for Hairston being above average at LT and RT. Starting at LT this season and.. us not drafting in the first unless it's Kalil and we wont because we dont actually need him(and almost impossible unless you are posessed by Al Davis' crazy ghost and willing to bankrupt the future). we will draft them though, because we have no depth without Bell now. we get two after the first round. or we will might even draft a guard and move someone outside. see what i did there?

taking gentlemans bets. please pm. attn: eric LOl

Word is that the Bills did make him an offer...but Bell/his manager never came back with a counter. we dont knwo what the offer was/is. The fact that they never made a counter offer tells me he doesnt want to come back.

Or that it was nothing close to $4 mill....possibly so low they considered it an insult.

Did you feel like you were watching the Bills' clear future LT in Bell in 2009 (before injury)?

Was it clear that Bell was our future LT?

No. But he sure showed that he had the potential to be. He was too raw and too weak. But he was remarkably agile and seemed to bust his butt every play. I really felt like I was watching him learn on the job and he got better and more consistent.

He's still a little weaker than I'd like, and he's obviously had a lot of injuries. But if Bell is the weakest link on the team, I have a helluva team.

Was it clear that Bell was our future LT?

No. But he sure showed that he had the potential to be. He was too raw and too weak. But he was remarkably agile and seemed to bust his butt every play. I really felt like I was watching him learn on the job and he got better and more consistent.

He's still a little weaker than I'd like, and he's obviously had a lot of injuries. But if Bell is the weakest link on the team, I have a helluva team.

I didn't know if Bell would make it. His play was pretty poor in 2009, but I was willing to give him time. It took a couple years later for him to start to show what he was capable of, but got injured again. I'm willing to give Hairston more time, and think he is light-years ahead of where Bell was at the same point (mainly because Bell didn't see the field as a rookie).

I get what you're saying Coach Tuesday, but how could the guy play through a broken collarbone? Remember, at first it was reported it was a shoulder injury but when they did the MRI it turned out to be a completely broken collarbone - no one can play through that.

Absolutely agree. On the other hand, remember the preseason game where they started someone else at LT after a poor showing by Bell, saying "we need more consistency at the position"?

I think they do feel Bell may only step up to his best game when he feels that someone is breathing down his neck - not the situation one wants ,really.

Clearly the hang-up for the Bills and others is the injury history. I think they should push hard to get Demetrius Bell back on a 1 year deal. If he can stay healthy and have a big year, then he'll get paid, big time after that. If he can't then everyone will have their final answer on him.

One year, prove it and then get the payday. He'd still be young and would be able to get a big contract from us or in free agency...

Clearly the hang-up for the Bills and others is the injury history. I think they should push hard to get Demetrius Bell back on a 1 year deal. If he can stay healthy and have a big year, then he'll get paid, big time after that. If he can't then everyone will have their final answer on him.

One year, prove it and then get the payday. He'd still be young and would be able to get a big contract from us or in free agency...

Probably makes sense for him to wait until draft is over. If Bills draft an LT at #10, Bell will be a back-up.

Three words. Incentive laden contract. That's what the Bills should offer him, if he plays a full season and makes the pro bowl then he can get paid. If not, then he can you get the league minimum.

Probably makes sense for him to wait until draft is over. If Bills draft an LT at #10, Bell will be a back-up.

I think the point is, if he re-signs we know he's a placeholder for Hairston because no one believes Bell can stay healthy for a whole season. I'd love it if Hairston could step p and start for us, but I doubt he's ready this year. That said, what player in the draft are plug and play starters from day 1? Because I don't see anyone other than Kalil. If that's the case, we should just sign a vet to start in front of Hairston for a year. Nix believes there are starters in the draft, but I dunno if he extends that meaning to instant starters. Mayock thinks Reiff could be an LT after 2-3 years playing RT. If that's the case and we're not getting Kalil, I'd rather just go LB/CB/WR in the 1st and draft someone in the 3rd to challenge Hairston.

who knows right now what Hairston will look like by preseason. With a full offseason he might be the guy. I mean Buddy musta thought he could be. Maybe we should just draft two later on down the line. And plan on Hairston starting. I know how he looked last year but we also know that all the youngsters suffered from lockout. And Bell must feel he might be just a back up by now.

If we get him its gravy. if we dont we still need two for depth. one of those might best come in after the draft though with a veteran. I hope that happens actually. some one who can step right in if injury occurs.

Edited by 3rdand12

The Bills may wait to get their draft board set. If they believe that a Day 1 starter @ LT is not available, they may sign him to an incentive laden contract and take their BPA. By the time they decide on their draft choices, if Bell is still un-signed, then it works out very well for the Bills. They get cheap insurance and wait for a Round 2+ pick to develop.

I think the point is, if he re-signs we know he's a placeholder for Hairston because no one believes Bell can stay healthy for a whole season. I'd love it if Hairston could step p and start for us, but I doubt he's ready this year. That said, what player in the draft are plug and play starters from day 1? Because I don't see anyone other than Kalil. If that's the case, we should just sign a vet to start in front of Hairston for a year. Nix believes there are starters in the draft, but I dunno if he extends that meaning to instant starters. Mayock thinks Reiff could be an LT after 2-3 years playing RT. If that's the case and we're not getting Kalil, I'd rather just go LB/CB/WR in the 1st and draft someone in the 3rd to challenge Hairston.

Hairston should be fine and no worse than Bell has been, given the scheme the Bills play (quick throwing). Hairston is far ahead of where Bell was at a similar stage and will benefit greatly from a full off-season as the starting LT. There is no LT after Kalil who IMHO is worth #10/will be able to start from day 1.

... The man is shopping around free agency and I wouldn't be surprised if he finds a taker.

I don't understand how last off season, people were dogging the Bills for not addressing the LT position as that was their considered by many to be their greatest need. Now all of a sudden the same LT we had then, who only played a partial season due to injuries last year, is able to shop around in FA. Was he only considered a crappy LT because he was in a Bills uniform last off season, and now that people can project him into another uniform, all of a sudden he's worth more?

I don't understand how last off season, people were dogging the Bills for not addressing the LT position as that was their considered by many to be their greatest need. Now all of a sudden the same LT we had then, who only played a partial season due to injuries last year, is able to shop around in FA. Was he only considered a crappy LT because he was in a Bills uniform last off season, and now that people can project him into another uniform, all of a sudden he's worth more?

One man's trash...

But Bell isn't getting any great offers. Likely he's getting incentive-laden contracts and a chance to compete (not be named the starting LT) and that's why he hasn't signed yet. He'll sign somewhere before the draft, because after that point, his value goes down even more. I believe he has a visit scheduled with GB today.

The only thing that concerns me about this is, Hairston was also injured last year. The knock on him coming out of Clemson was how big he is up top and he has small legs. When you consider he suffered an ankle injury last year, this may confirm that some?

Now i am not saying Hairston isn't the answer long term, but as we stand today the Bills have zero depth at LT. It would make great sense for Bell to come back to Buffalo, he already is familiar with his linemates and the O. I like the incentive ladden deal for a year or maybe two. If he stays healthy he makes his money, and he will get a big deal next offseason from someone. Then add a quality tackle in the draft in round 3 or 4.