Merriman will quiet his doubters this year

Just a hunch. I just got NFL game rewind and have payed close attention to Merriman is the first few weeks he was playing. He was very good at setting the edge in the run game and was pushing around tackles and getting a lot of attention, getting chipped by backs and TE's and double teams. With WMD manning the other part of the line, I fully expect Merriman to have a very good year.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a hunch. I just got NFL game rewind and have payed close attention to Merriman is the first few weeks he was playing. He was very good at setting the edge in the run game and was pushing around tackles and getting a lot of attention, getting chipped by backs and TE's and double teams. With WMD manning the other part of the line, I fully expect Merriman to have a very good year.

I've been screaming this since Williams was first brought to town but every here seems to think its going to be Kelsay and Merriman will only come in on passing downs. Personally I think thats BS, the first few weeks of the season Merriman was doing an amazing job of setting the edge in the run. I personally think it'll be Merriman and Williams starting with Kelsay as depth.

If Merriman is fully healed, there is no doubt in my mind he starts over Kelsay. He's a much much better pass rusher and personally I think he is better at setting the edge.

It's one thing after another I don't think we get the whole story to be honest. Hopefully he's healthy and this latest "surgery he's been putting off" is the real fix but I heard all about how he was better than ever before last year and he was almost instantly dinged and then gone for the year. I hope he can come back and be a man b/c he sets the edge ok and rushes w/ violence but I'm not counting on it and I'm glad as hell we have Kelsay. It would be a disaster to not have Kelsay at this point, now we can really see the advantage of having him (vs. not having him) despite our complaining when we signed him. Anyway, Merriman runs up field and runs himself right out of run plays at times. Kelsay is good, just give him a chance. Merriman will do what he can. If he's a beast again he'll obviously surpass Kelsay but I'm not counting on it and Kelsay is going to play well for us this year I know it.

I 100% agree with your assessment. We could be starting 4 pro-bowl caliber players on our line. hahahahaha. Brady is going to be running around like crazy throwing interceptions. Sanches will throw 5 in a game. Miami has no QB.

I agree, I know a lot of people think he is done, but i don't. I think that he will come back with a vengeance, and if he can even return to 50% of what he used to be, then our d-line would be even better than it is now.

It's one thing after another I don't think we get the whole story to be honest. Hopefully he's healthy and this latest "surgery he's been putting off" is the real fix but I heard all about how he was better than ever before last year and he was almost instantly dinged and then gone for the year. I hope he can come back and be a man b/c he sets the edge ok and rushes w/ violence but I'm not counting on it and I'm glad as hell we have Kelsay. It would be a disaster to not have Kelsay at this point, now we can really see the advantage of having him (vs. not having him) despite our complaining when we signed him. Anyway, Merriman runs up field and runs himself right out of run plays at times. Kelsay is good, just give him a chance. Merriman will do what he can. If he's a beast again he'll obviously surpass Kelsay but I'm not counting on it and Kelsay is going to play well for us this year I know it.

:thumbsup:

If the if's prove true ... Merriman would be a beast with Williams, Mario, and Dareus ... I agree that Kelsay will do a good job if he is starting for us but IF the surgery was a success and IF he can get himself into shape ... then the other starting seven on our defense are going to have career years because of the guys up front. Our other Williams at CB worked through his rookie kinks and should be a great CB plus a pass rush should return Byrd back to his rookie activity ... wow, someone pinch me I am starting to dream .. hahaha

This would be foresight

If you mean he will quite his doubters by retiring you might be right. There would be nothing to discuss afterwards. If all he needed was a surgery or 2 why didn't he get them 4 years ago?

Obviously we are all hoping against hope but I don't like the chances of him returning to form. 75% of his previous form is still better than Kelsay though I guess if he can at least play in most of the games.

Edited by PDaDdy

Odds are not in his favor. I really hope he can do it, but I'm not going to get my hopes up at this point.

Modern medicine can do wonders. They guy is still young enough to recover. Unless steroids or whatever he was taking totally ravaged his body I bet he does okay.

PTR

If you mean he will quite his doubters by retiring you might be right. There would be nothing to discuss afterwards. If all he needed was a surgery or 2 why didn't he get them 4 years ago?

Because he was looking for a new contract and achilles surgery would have destroyed his bargaining power.

Because he was looking for a new contract and achilles surgery would have destroyed his bargaining power.

You're "The Doc" but I don't know that I buy that 100%. Even if true how did that work out for him ya know.

If any of you saw the 4th preseason game, Merriman wasn't playing all-pro, he was playing all-world. If he can play like that this year this team could have the best defense in the NFL. There's a whole lot of "ifs" in that statement and guys need to get and stay healthy but our DL on paper has the potential to be one of the best ever. If Merriman and Kyle Williams come back fully healed, you have FOUR defensive lineman that cannot be blocked one on one. Not only does that put a MASSIVE amount of pressure on the QB, it will force opposing OC's to completely alter their game plan.

If any of you saw the 4th preseason game, Merriman wasn't playing all-pro, he was playing all-world. If he can play like that this year this team could have the best defense in the NFL. There's a whole lot of "ifs" in that statement and guys need to get and stay healthy but our DL on paper has the potential to be one of the best ever. If Merriman and Kyle Williams come back fully healed, you have FOUR defensive lineman that cannot be blocked one on one. Not only does that put a MASSIVE amount of pressure on the QB, it will force opposing OC's to completely alter their game plan.

There is only 1 if and it is the same IF he has had the last 5 years. Health. If you don't have health it doesn't matter how much talent you have. We all hope he gets well but I think his body is just broken beyond repair.

It's hard not to notice the difference in the Bills record before and after his and Kyle's injuries. Here's hoping they both are fully healed and remain healthy for the rest of their careers.

Wasn't he picked up on waivers? Not much bargaining power there.

You're "The Doc" but I don't know that I buy that 100%. Even if true how did that work out for him ya know.

It worked out better than had he undergone surgery after the 2009 season, when he first suffered the injury.

Let us pray...and hope the injury bug takes a holiday this season...

I do not see this as an injury bug, it is the residual effect of roids...we all know that, it is common with all athletes who over did it in the roid era. :thumbdown:

I do not see this as an injury bug, it is the residual effect of roids...we all know that, it is common with all athletes who over did it in the roid era. :thumbdown:

tearing an achilles isnt roids related at all, players tear them all the time, mostly due to the turf.

plus he was probably also on hgh which strengthens tendons and ligaments.

He sounds confident

Shawne Merriman ‏ @shawnemerriman

RT @joesocha1: @shawnemerriman ..how's the achilles? Best I've felt in 3 years thanks lets get ready to tell some people to #Puckerup

Shawne Merriman ‏ @shawnemerriman

I think people sometime forget I'm 27 don't worry I forget too