For the Russell Wilson Fans

jocap55

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have been a Wilson advocate for awhile now. The guy is the best play-action QB in draft behind Luck, and has the best accuracy and arm strength on the run. He is listed as the fourth QB behind Foles on my board. I wouldn't mind taking him with a fourth rounder, but some have him going tale end of round 3.

Agreed, those in the know, realize he has a shot at turning into something.

Someone ranked Wilson behind Foles? Really? Wow, That's unbelievable. I've watched a whole bunch of Foles, and I certainly can't see it.

IMO, Luck is well, -lucky that Wilson isn't 4 inches taller. No one can say what will happen at the pro level, but I can see A LOT more questionable things in Andrew Luck than I do Russell Wilson. I even have a sneaking suspicion that Luck will eventually bust out. Unfortunately there's only one way to find out. -Let the kids play.

Wilson has earned his shot at the NFL every bit as much as Luck, or Griffin.

As a Wisconsin alum, I watch every game the Badgers play. Am I a bit biased? Sure, what alum isn't biased about his school's star players? Regardless, I can say without hesitation that Russell Wilson is the real deal. IMO, if he was 4" taller, he would be THE #1 pick in the draft. He's got a very strong arm. He's very accurate. He routinely makes something out of nothing. He has a great awareness of pressure and where to move to get away from it. He's extremely bright, and actually graduated from NC State early, which allowed him to play at Wisconsin the same year he transferred. He is very mature and is engaged to be married soon, if I am not mistaken. After being at Wisconsin for only the summer before the 2011 season, he made a big enough impression on his new teammates that they named him one of the team's captains for the season. Bear in mind, he came in knowing no one on the team, yet in just a couple months, easily won them over with his leadership skills, personality, and of course, his play on the field. Those of you concerned about his height. Sure, it would be great if he were 6'4. But he played behind a huge OL last year, and somehow managed to complete well over 70% of his passes with over 30 TDs and very few INTs. In fact, the Badger OL in 2011 would have been among the 10 biggest OL in the NFL. I believe they averaged about 325 lbs and 6'6" in height. Sure, there are really tall NFL DLs who will also be jumping up and waving their arms to knock down passes. But Wilson has the unique ability to create his own throwing lanes ala Drew Brees. IMO, if the Bills get him in the 4th round it is a steal. The guy has star written all over him. He has all the tools and all the intangibles......except for the fact that he's under 5' 11". But to me, a good scout will look beyond that and see if the guy can play, and Russell Wilson can flat out play. If the Bills draft him, he's immediately penciled in as Fitz's backup. And if he shows some serious skills in the preseason, he'll have the Bills brass feeling confident and feeling good that they can get out of that new Fitz deal after only three years. Its time for some RUSSELLMANIA in Buffalo! Go Bills! Go Badgers! Danny O'Brien FTW!

Edited by gusbuf

As a Wisconsin alum, I watch every game the Badgers play. Am I a bit biased? Sure, what alum isn't biased about his school's star players? Regardless, I can say without hesitation that Russell Wilson is the real deal. IMO, if he was 4" taller, he would be THE #1 pick in the draft. He's got a very strong arm. He's very accurate. He routinely makes something out of nothing. He has a great awareness of pressure and where to move to get away from it. He's extremely bright, and actually graduated from NC State early, which allowed him to play at Wisconsin the same year he transferred. He is very mature and is engaged to be married soon, if I am not mistaken. After being at Wisconsin for only the summer before the 2011 season, he made a big enough impression on his new teammates that they named him one of the team's captains for the season. Bear in mind, he came in knowing no one on the team, yet in just a couple months, easily won them over with his leadership skills, personality, and of course, his play on the field. Those of you concerned about his height. Sure, it would be great if he were 6'4. But he played behind a huge OL last year, and somehow managed to complete well over 70% of his passes with over 30 TDs and very few INTs. In fact, the Badger OL in 2011 would have been among the 10 biggest OL in the NFL. I believe they averaged about 325 lbs and 6'6" in height. Sure, there are really tall NFL DLs who will also be jumping up and waving their arms to knock down passes. But Wilson has the unique ability to create his own throwing lanes ala Drew Brees. IMO, if the Bills get him in the 4th round it is a steal. The guy has star written all over him. He has all the tools and all the intangibles......except for the fact that he's under 5' 11". But to me, a good scout will look beyond that and see if the guy can play, and Russell Wilson can flat out play. If the Bills draft him, he's immediately penciled in as Fitz's backup. And if he shows some serious skills in the preseason, he'll have the Bills brass feeling confident and feeling good that they can get out of that new Fitz deal after only three years. Its time for some RUSSELLMANIA in Buffalo! Go Bills! Go Badgers! Danny O'Brien FTW!

The kid can flat-out play football!!! He can play baseball!!! He believes in God and has no chacter issues!!! DRAFT the young man!!

ESPN ran a documentary prior to the season opener on the Wisconsion football team and the kid truly is a PLAYER . He gets respect, and his focus and will are bar none. I know he has the height issue and maybe not the greatest skill set but as far as being a flat out football player who will do whatever it takes to win, he fits that perfectly. I'm sure the documentary is available on youtube and since that aired, I been a fan of the kid. I wouldn't mind grabbing him in the later rounds at all! Get er done Buddy!

If this kid is 2 inches taller he is probably a top ten pick. Brees, is maybe 6 feet, this kid is close. He is one heck of an athlete, smart as a whip, just about all you want in a qb. I'd think to take a nice mid round pick on him but my guess is he ends up in canada

If this kid is 2 inches taller he is probably a top ten pick. Brees, is maybe 6 feet, this kid is close. He is one heck of an athlete, smart as a whip, just about all you want in a qb. I'd think to take a nice mid round pick on him but my guess is he ends up in canada

One game a year in Toronto right?

After getting blasted in the face with Russell Wilson all day everyday, a la Tim tebow on espn, I decided to take a long look at a bunch of Russell Wilson videos today. My thoughts prior to my research today: He's a good college qb that benefited from having an amazing OL and running game to go with some good talent at WR. I thought his height would be a big issue in the nfl and drafting him would be a COMPLETELY wasted pick. Post research thoughts: I like him more than I did. He's got great pocket awareness. I thought it was just his athletic ability that allowed to him make plays after the play broke down (tavaris Jackson is an example), but it's a definite combination of athletic ability and pocket awareness (Aaron Rodgers/big ben). He's a smart well spoken kid that has a tremendous head on his shoulders and motivation won't be a problem. I could see him developing in a solid player down the road due to his combination of character/ability. That being said, I still believe his height will be an issue. He may be able to overcome it, but he's still a guy that might be out of the league after 5 years of rising the pine. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him in round 5-7. In the past, I scoffed at the idea. He's a good kid and has a chance, albeit slight.

After getting blasted in the face with Russell Wilson all day everyday, a la Tim tebow on espn, I decided to take a long look at a bunch of Russell Wilson videos today. My thoughts prior to my research today: He's a good college qb that benefited from having an amazing OL and running game to go with some good talent at WR. I thought his height would be a big issue in the nfl and drafting him would be a COMPLETELY wasted pick. Post research thoughts: I like him more than I did. He's got great pocket awareness. I thought it was just his athletic ability that allowed to him make plays after the play broke down (tavaris Jackson is an example), but it's a definite combination of athletic ability and pocket awareness (Aaron Rodgers/big ben). He's a smart well spoken kid that has a tremendous head on his shoulders and motivation won't be a problem. I could see him developing in a solid player down the road due to his combination of character/ability. That being said, I still believe his height will be an issue. He may be able to overcome it, but he's still a guy that might be out of the league after 5 years of rising the pine. I wouldn't be opposed to drafting him in round 5-7. In the past, I scoffed at the idea. He's a good kid and has a chance, albeit slight.

Thanks for the good evaluation.

I'd like to learn more about his stats in and out of the pocket. I think it was Charlie Casserly who was saying that his passing numbers were FAR worse when he was in the pocket vs when he was outside of it. That being said, I've seen enough lately that I hope we get a shot at him in the 4th round or later.

As I was reading this post I was thinking to myself "I wonder if this qb is black."

But thanks to the highlighted code, I guess I dont even need to google it.

As I was reading this post I was thinking to myself "I wonder if this qb is black."

:blink:

Hey, at least you did your homework, and formed an educated opinion. We can't know in advance if Wilson will be the new, improved, Flutie, but given his outstanding college production, to disqualify him solely on the basis of size seems completely unfair.

As a side note, you could have used something besides "blasted in the face". Somehow it just doesn't sound right. :P

Vick and brees are both listed exactly at 6.0, which probably means they're shorter -- I've heard radio announcers who've stood next to them say just that. So if theyre more like 5'10.5" to 5'11", the question is Wilson listed at those heights really more like 5'9.5"? I'd definitely give him a look if he's a true 5'11" - the evidence is there those guys can make it in the nfl - 5'10" or less he doesnt strike me as special enough to pull off the unprecedented.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Mark my words, Russel Wilson will be a great player in the NFL. If we pass on him, it will come back to haunt us. I really believe this kid has everything but the ideal QB height. From the videos I've watched, it doesn't seem to be an issue for him though. I want him!!!

100% agree... But no higher than the 4th round!! This team has too many other needs..

This team has drated QB's who are no where near as talented much higher than the 4th or 5th round... If he is there in those rounds. it's a no brainer.. GO BILLS!!!!

I'm guessing he won't be around by the 5th. Prob have to use a 4th on him. The Bills have made worse decisions. I like the guy despite myself; I watched him for two years down here and he ate up my Tar Heels.

Ha ha...this is so true. I have no idea who this Wilson kid is, but after reading that post, I knew immediately he was a black QB.

He is very mature and is engaged to be married soon, if I am not mistaken.

Looks like he tied the knot this past weekend. Congrats to Russellmania!

http://www2.timesdispatch.com/lifestyles/celebrations/2012/apr/08/i-do-i-do-ashton-meem-russell-wilson-ar-1818238/

Russell Wilson's trip to Gruden QB University on today on ESPNU

http://www.jsonline.com/blogs/sports/146854245.html

Another good scouting report, this one from ROb Rang at CBS Sportsline.

http://www.philadelphiaeagles.com/news/article-1/Draft-Buzz-Offense/0928a7f0-e78f-4d1c-b2a5-65f3c4ef4ffe

Looks like Russell Wilson enjoyed his visit with the Bills.

http://twitter.com/#!/DangeRussWilson/status/187593664321691649/photo/1

Just went through his Tweets from the past month and he mentions his trips to other NFL destinations, but never put out a followup with this kind of endorsement...interesting.

Also, for all you lunatics who believe he'll still be around in the fourth...think again.

I'd be okay with Buffalo using their second round pick on him.

Just went through his Tweets from the past month and he mentions his trips to other NFL destinations, but never put out a followup with this kind of endorsement...interesting.

Also, for all you lunatics who believe he'll still be around in the fourth...think again.

I'd be okay with Buffalo using their second round pick on him.

I think you're right. No way this kid lasts until the 4th. Too hot and will get hotter.

What's "too early" to take him? I wonder how our FO is guaging this guy.

John Gruden on Russell Wilson:

"The only issue with Russell Wilson is his height," Gruden said of the 5-foot-11 quarterback. "That might be the reason he's not picked in the first couple rounds."

"He's got tremendous mobility. I've got him at 4.50 [seconds] in the 40 [yard dash]. He's mastered two different offensive systems. This is a tremendous kid. His intangibles are off the charts."

Even if we don't get Wilson, I hope he gets the opportunity to prove his doubters wrong. Tanneyhill, for all his height and hype, never even won the Big 12 South. Wilson won the Big Ten title his first year in the conference. With, I might add, an offense he learned in 3 weeks. If I were at the horse track, I'd bet Luck and RG3 to win, with Russell Wilson to place and show. It may be long odds, but you have to put certain horses in the money.

Edited by #34fan