For the Russell Wilson Fans

jocap55

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's a waste because you don't use a top draft pick on a "quality backup." The Bills have needs at OL, WR, DB, and LB that would be better served with those top selections. If Wilson can be snagged in the 5th or later, then I'm all for it.

I get where you're coming from. I guess I disagree because if we're in the mix and Fitz goes out, if we have a solid backup we're still in the mix. If we have a Caleb Hanie style b/u we're talking about maybe next year.

I like Wilson a lot and hope the Bills get him. IMO he's worth a 3rd round choice. He's very accurate and can run. His size is the only issue.

I agree. I'd take him 3rd round. We need another QB anyway. We don't have a third string. I imagine Brad Smith is a WR only this year.

I'd have no problem seeing Wilson in a Bills uni...but this team can't afford to waste a 4th or higher on him when there are other holes to fill.

Waste?? At 4th round? As opposed to another LB or CB won't make the team? Backup QB is a huge hole. You didn;t notice that?

It's a waste because you don't use a top draft pick on a "quality backup." The Bills have needs at OL, WR, DB, and LB that would be better served with those top selections. If Wilson can be snagged in the 5th or later, then I'm all for it.

I should have been a bit clearer on where Wilson should be taken by the Bills. IMO, after round 3, he is the BPA, and certainly the best all-around athlete avilable. I don't see him ending up in rounds 6 or 7. If he does end up as a UDFA, I'll consider it a travesty given his exceptional body of work. Still, good things happen to UDFA's sometimes too. If Russell is invited to someone's camp, and has the chance to make an impression on pro OC's, I would expect weaker starting QB's, and questionable backups to be looking over their shoulders.

Edited by #34fan

I should have been a bit clearer on where Wilson should be taken by the Bills. IMO, after round 3, he is the BPA, and certainly the best all-around athlete avilable. I don't see him ending up in rounds 6 or 7. If he does end up as a UDFA, I'll consider it a travesty given his exceptional body of work. Still, good things happen to UDFA's sometimes too. If Russell is invited to someone's camp, and has the chance to make an impression on pro OC's, I would expect weaker starting QB's, and questionable backups to be looking over their shoulders.

I've had the good fortune to watch Wilson in high school here in Richmond, VA, then at NC State where I went - he's a quality kid, very intelligent, strong arm and as someone already mentioned, can likely run a wild cat type set of plays. I think he's given up his dream of playing pro baseball (believe he was single A last year somewhere out in the northwest). If the Bills can pick him up after 4th round it could be very interesting.

I've had the good fortune to watch Wilson in high school here in Richmond, VA, then at NC State where I went - he's a quality kid, very intelligent, strong arm and as someone already mentioned, can likely run a wild cat type set of plays. I think he's given up his dream of playing pro baseball (believe he was single A last year somewhere out in the northwest). If the Bills can pick him up after 4th round it could be very interesting.

Represent :thumbsup:

Would love to see the Bills pick Russell Wilson. He's got a strong arm, good accuracy, ability to buy time in the pocket or move the chains with his feet. Beyond all

of that the guy has shown he has a great attitude and is a winner. That's the type of players every team needs. If QB doesn't work out they could always try him

at a different position. His father was a WR at Dartmouth and drafted by the Chargers back in the day. He was the last cut in '80 or '81 I believe it was. Don Coryell

said it was one of his biggest regrets cutting him. 4th round or lower it's a no brainer pick to me. Especially since the BIlls have two 4th and 5th's this draft.

Dude, did you go to Collegiate? My kids are there now. I remember the first game i saw Wilson play, homecoming his sophomore year..coach starts the Sr. as he should, and prompltly goes down 14-0. Puts Russell in start of 2nd, haltime score 28-14 Collegiate. I don't know high school football, but it was obvious even to me dude was a superior athlete.

My daughter tells me his sister is also the starting point guard on the varsity Basketball team at Collegiate..in 8th grade :doh:

I am hoping he gets drafted by the Bills, then we will have Rodgers and Wilson with Richmond connections...and i am sure if I beg enough can get some free swag :thumbsup:

Edited by plenzmd1

first off OP, GREAT post...explains things about RW (not ralph wilson) very well...

ill admit, ive been a big RW hater for a while, because I always just thought of him as a little running QB who made big passing plays off of play action where he didnt have to "Fit the ball in there" or "put it on a rope"...and while sure, those plays did pad his stats....what is no longer ignorable for me is the amount of passes this kid puts exactly where they need to be so only his receiver can catch the ball. He makes the tight throws very, very well, and honestly his tiny stature doesnt seem to keep him from seeing the field/making the throw/not being batted down

Now, granted Wisc. (and even NC State) used A LOT of boots and roll outs/playaction to get RW 5-7 yards deep so he had clear vision...but all that is set up off of a solid run game, which the Bills do gave. However, given Chans past offenses and play calling (and maybe an Oline who is very very good at blocking for the quick hitting spread offense) I dont know how much of a fit RW is for these Bills

I know Chan could design an offense that plays to RW's strengths, but it is NOT the offense that is in place for Fitzy, so drafting him would most likely leave him as a 3rd QB - project, who maybe could take the reigns and be the bills QB (however, Chan would probably not be the coach of that team)

Overall, Im changing my mind on the kid, I think he is a gamer who, of all the short QBs (whom I normally loathe), this kid looks like he could seriously be the real deal with a good system/head coach/offense....just my two cents

It's likely to be a no-sale to NFL coaches and GMs, sorry.

It reminds me of Chase Daniels, the Mizzou QB who went undrafted in 2009. Despite putting up amazing passing numbers,being a 2x Heisman candidate, and IMO being a far better QB overall than Blaine Gabbert, at 6'0" Daniels went undrafted (compared to the hyped-up Gabbert who "looks like you want your QB to look").

It worked out OK for Daniels, who won the backup spot at NO (since Drew Brees is 6' 0" they have reason to believe that a good QB can be 6'0")

Hopefully it will work out OK for Wilson, but his chances of being drafted high (despite a great college career) are mediocre.

Seneca Wallace would be another example of a good QB hampered by height - he's actually very accurate but at 5'11" he's never been able to persuade a team to give him a shot as starter, despite 31 TD to 17 INT

One factor is, in the NFL, the occasional "beast" lineman he faced with the Badgers is going to become every lineman, every down. It clearly hampers Fitzpatrick that he's relatively short for an NFL QB at 6'2" and has less view of how the play has actually developed - there are times when he throws the ball where he expects the receiver to be without being able to see that 'ain't no-one near', to the detriment of his completion percentage.

Wilson might be "all that", but I don't think you're going to sell Chix and Nailey on a 5'10" QB (sorry, but if you measure your height to 1/8 of an inch, you're shorter than you claim. Been there done that.)

Daniels? has a noodle arm. Russell wilson has larger hands than Andrew Luck and he has a stronger arm than Andrew Luck. I watched Luck's workout at his pro day and the commentators all said that Luck did not have an exceptionally strong arm but that it was good enough. Luck does have great anticipation but make no mistake Wilson has an arm comparable to RG111 who has better arm strength than Luck. There is not a chance in heck that Wilson goes undrafted.

I agree I would use one of our 4th round picks on him. Wilson is the kind of player who can come off the bench and win a big game for you like a playoff game, or even that one they hold at the end of the year.

Edited by Trader

Could find his way on the field as the wildcat option. Other than that he will need to channel Doug Flutie to try and make a career out of it. Probably would be a start in canada.

Don't we already have our wildcat QB?