It's official Mario Williams is a free agent

That's probably right on the percentage amount. However, that does not mean we should not go out there and get legitimate pass rusher. In my opinion, there has to be a few pass rushers on the free agency market who would be happy to come to Buffalo for the chance to play next to Kyle Williams and Marcel Dareus.

I don't know that there are legit pass rushers that would be happy to come to Buffalo, so I think we all need to get used to the idea of a rookie, Kelsay and Merriman for our pass rush.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is that really the combined 2012 Salary for those 2?

If so, that certainly is a place to look for savings...

Good grief... B-)

Cap savings if cut -Kelsay 2.55 mil johnson 3.50 mil, Edwards 4.17 mil , Merriman 5.25 mil, Tot= 15.47.

It might be more as they've changed Kelsay's cap savings from 3.55mil to 2.55mil- not sure if it's a typo or if Kelsay has earned a bonus already or if he has restructured.

Get real, have the Bills EVER even been in the running for one of the top FAs??? I hate to say it but Buffalo is probably one of the least favorable landing spots for free agents, (given the location and how little money we spend) so to think we have a chance at signing the BEST one, thats just ridiculous.

Cap savings if cut -Kelsay 2.55 mil johnson 3.50 mil, Edwards 4.17 mil , Merriman 5.25 mil, Tot= 15.47.

It might be more as they've changed Kelsay's cap savings from 3.55mil to 2.55mil- not sure if it's a typo or if Kelsay has earned a bonus already or if he has restructured.

I keep hearing Merriman's contract is guaranteed, which would mean if we cut him he still counts on the cap for the full amount. If true he stays.

Edited by Dopey

I think there is a good shot he could be in a Bills uniform. The Bills play the 4-3 in which he excels, and have either the most or close to the most money available to offer him in a contract. As a player he'd have to like that the Bills have Dareus and Williams on the line already. Those are all positives in our team's favor.

Get real, have the Bills EVER even been in the running for one of the top FAs??? I hate to say it but Buffalo is probably one of the least favorable landing spots for free agents, (given the location and how little money we spend) so to think we have a chance at signing the BEST one, thats just ridiculous.

Of course they have but it has been a while.

Takeo Spikes, Sam Adams, Ted Washington,

a huge trade for Cornelius Bentley (not a FA pickup, of course)

plus smaller signings but significant such as James Lofton, Nick Barnett, the trade for Drew Bledsoe (not a FA pickup, of course)

busts but still expensive signings like Langston Walker, Derrick Dockery (oh, Marv)

and Geoff Hangartner

Buddy Nix has YET to lie - he first made it clear the Bills were on a path to win but it would take time. He said right form the start he would build through the draft and supplement the

team with smart additions when the opportunity arose stating specifically that they would not get into bidding wars until they felt the player they were fighting for would be a key addition.

Last year the Bills fought hard for Tyson Clabo and , in fact, Clabo turned down less money to stay with the Falcons. Now Nix has SPECIFICALLY stated the Bills would be "aggressive" in fre agency. Based on the choice of the word and the past statements to his position on free agency it is reasonable to assume Buddy WILL go after a marquee player (or two) AND that he thinks the Bills are ready to take the next step - to build the team further by the addition of an expensive free agent.

Perhaps Vincent Jackson is that player. I think Mario Williams might be that player. He's the best DE (age, talent) to make it to free agency in years.

my 2 cents

Cosmo must be a young'un. I'm only doing this because you made a point to say EVER .Starting in the 60's we picked up a FA named Jack Kemp. The 70's were a drug induced blur.In the 80's we pick up FA's from the USFL named Jim Kelly,Kent Hull and Ray Bentley. Yes we drafted Kelly in '83, but it wasn't 'till '86 when we signed him. Bryce Paup and Tasker were FA's. Lofton,Christie, Flutie, Sam Adams, Spikes, Fletcher, Lawyer Malloy(sp), Marcus Stroud, Kawika Mitchell,TO. Even though they didn't pan out like we thought we signed Dockery and Langston Walker to bolster our line(big signings at the time). I'm sure if I researched more I could find a few more examples.So we aren't the Redskins or Cowboys. What has that gotten them lately? Since 2000 the Skins have been to the playoffs in 05 and 07. Last Super Bowl, 91. Cowboys, 03, 06, 07 and 09 last Super Bowl 95. If we don't sign a Big name FA, it's because we chose NOT TO SPEND THE $. Don't kid yourself inot thinking they won't play if we PAY.

takeo spikes

Cosmo must be a young'un. I'm only doing this because you made a point to say EVER .Starting in the 60's we picked up a FA named Jack Kemp. The 70's were a drug induced blur.In the 80's we pick up FA's from the USFL named Jim Kelly,Kent Hull and Ray Bentley. Yes we drafted Kelly in '83, but it wasn't 'till '86 when we signed him. Bryce Paup and Tasker were FA's. Lofton,Christie, Flutie, Sam Adams, Spikes, Fletcher, Lawyer Malloy(sp), Marcus Stroud, Kawika Mitchell,TO. Even though they didn't pan out like we thought we signed Dockery and Langston Walker to bolster our line(big signings at the time). I'm sure if I researched more I could find a few more examples.So we aren't the Redskins or Cowboys. What has that gotten them lately? Since 2000 the Skins have been to the playoffs in 05 and 07. Last Super Bowl, 91. Cowboys, 03, 06, 07 and 09 last Super Bowl 95. If we don't sign a Big name FA, it's because we chose NOT TO SPEND THE $. Don't kid yourself inot thinking they won't play if we PAY.

And the top 5 reason we choose not to spend money according to TBD users:

1. Ralph is cheap

2. Ralph is cheap

3. Ralph is cheap

4. Ralph is cheap

5. Ralph is cheap

I would like to sign Williams but it's like others have said, he will cost too much. Then again, if his asking price is so high, I find it hard to think of many teams that would be able to even sign him (probably only about 8 teams with the cap space?).

hey - good one

goes to show coaching means nothing in the NFL\

you do realize the Texans defense before Wade was coached no better than by George Edwards

Williams started out great (under whichever coach) and faded soemwhat before ending past 2 seasons on IR.

They switched to a 34 and don't want to pay him 100m to play LB after a 5 game audition?

You might be right. But clearly they figured they were better without him. The evidence suggests they are right.

Great post.

Just as a point of clarification and certainly not to detract from your larger point, but both Tasker and Lofton were waiver wire acquisitions picked up for the $100 waiver transaction fee. They were never FAs that freely chose to play in Buffalo.

Like you said, the Bills have been more than willing to "show them the money" over the years. They've had a number of the highest paid players at their positions over the years. I'm not sure where this idea that RW won't pony up cash really comes from. He can be talked into forking over the cash if needed. Especially if the team is close to contending.

GO BILLS!!!

I honestly dont think Mario is even on our radar. That Campbell guy from Arizona is probably a better bet.

Sorry Boss, they done did slap the tag on him.

http://www.azcentral.com/sports/cardinals/articles/2012/03/02/20120302arizona-cardinals-calais-campbell-franchise-tag.html

Mincey is the best DE free agent available. Drafting an end or olb would be great. Personally I is hoping for Nic Perry.

Williams started out great (under whichever coach) and faded soemwhat before ending past 2 seasons on IR.

You might be right. But clearly they figured they were better without him. The evidence suggests they are right.

Faded from 14 to 12 to 9 to 8.5 in 13 games and 5 in 5?

His per game/per snap have been coming back up.

One serious injury and one 3 week injury in 6 years aren't huge injury issues.

He played 77 straight, missed 3, came back healthy and tore a pec.

Edited by NoSaint

A huge acquisition and game changer for sure. On the other hand he would be the only one we sign given the contract he can demand. I think the better choice might be V. Jackson and one other starter in a position of need.

If Williams would take 15 and VJ would take 9-10, do we think there are other starters in a position of need we can get for 5-6?

I'm honestly asking, not bashing.

Fans really need to let this go but its not going to happen

This is one of the few times of year where fans can have unabashed enthusiasm for "what might be". The Bills could very well land Mario Williams, there's no reason fans should take him off their wishlist at this time.

Pass. He'll want too much money, is injury prone and will prevent us from filling other holes. I think we can find a comparable player for much less money. (Freeny, etc.) Also, I'd rather have WR Jackson and then draft DE's then spend all our FA money on him.

Nor is he the solution ;) He is ok but can easily be upgraded with an upper tier DE like Mathis and the like.

I disagree -- and while my intent is not to hijack the thread or anything, Kelsay is exactly the sort of piece you should want the Bills to keep. He does his job -- well -- and allows them to focus on upgrading other areas. You can't have superstars everywhere.

I disagree -- and while my intent is not to hijack the thread or anything, Kelsay is exactly the sort of piece you should want the Bills to keep. He does his job -- well -- and allows them to focus on upgrading other areas. You can't have superstars everywhere.

But a superstar at DE is the most important spot on the defense.

Leave Kelsay alone. We put an ass kicking linebacker behind him he will shine. He can seal the edge and have the tackle chase him around leaving the interior exposed. Having his hand down will be good for him. Now getting the sslb is huge.

If xxx /When! we get DE it should be weak side passrusher. with Kyle and MD, Now you really got somethin'.

We are closer than some think. two key players and depth.

I dont think we need a star on the weak side just a solid performer that is young enough to grow into what will become the best defensive line in the AFC. If we can grab williams and fill some smaller holes add some players, well go for it! just dont break the bank for any position yet.not yet.

i hope you guys realize we are on the verge of having a top notch defense in the next few seasons and these are very exciting times for Bills fans. Especially us Def guys. Go Bills.

Why wouldn't Mario want to come here again?

Edited by 3rdand12

For the umpteenth time...Kelsay is not the problem on this defense.

Carry on.

Nor is he "The Solution" either...

Leave Kelsay alone. We put an ass kicking linebacker behind him he will shine. He can seal the edge and have the tackle chase him around leaving the interior exposed. Having his hand down will be good for him. Now getting the sslb is huge.

If xxx /When! we get DE it should be weak side passrusher. with Kyle and MD, Now you really got somethin'.

We are closer than some think. two key players and depth.

I dont think we need a star on the weak side just a solid performer that is young enough to grow into what will become the best defensive line in the AFC. If we can grab williams and fill some smaller holes add some players, well go for it! just dont break the bank for any position yet.not yet.

i hope you guys realize we are on the verge of having a top notch defense in the next few seasons and these are very exciting times for Bills fans. Especially us Def guys. Go Bills.

Why wouldn't Mario want to come here again?

BECAUSE RALPH WON'T PAY HIM $15-20MILL PER SEASON!!!!!

The former number one pick is going to hit the open market. My friend on the Texans loves the guy and did not think the Texans were really going to let him walk away. Is there any chance of him landing in Buffalo??

I hope the Bills actually make a strong push for him as he is a game changer if he is 100% healthy. I know it is a slim chance that he signs with the Bills but I really do think he is worth the money he is going to demand and I have never once heard a bad thing about him.

STOP IT !!! It's not going to happen , that's the bottom line , you can dream all you want but Mario Williams in a Bills uni will never be something you are going to see !!

We have to many other loose ends to tie up , F . Jackson , Chandler , Bell ? , Urbick , Reinhart , & others that we need to decide what we are going to do before we get some one like him ..

I can see us getting a D . Freeny or some one like that before Williams , his price is going to be way to high !!!!!!!!! for the Bills any way !!

STOP IT !!! It's not going to happen , that's the bottom line , you can dream all you want but Mario Williams in a Bills uni will never be something you are going to see !!

We have to many other loose ends to tie up , F . Jackson , Chandler , Bell ? , Urbick , Reinhart , & others that we need to decide what we are going to do before we get some one like him ..

I can see us getting a D . Freeny or some one like that before Williams , his price is going to be way to high !!!!!!!!! for the Bills any way !!

Those aren't exactly major loose ends. If the bills sign a high profile pass rushed, they can use the draft to get an ot and te. I don't think chandler wants to be back, but I don't think there are going to be many, if any, teams that will pay him more than us. As for the rest of that list, low priority for right now I say

And the top 5 reason we choose not to spend money according to TBD users:

1. Ralph is cheap

2. Ralph is cheap

3. Ralph is cheap

4. Ralph is cheap

5. Ralph is cheap

It's bad form to utilize a Top 5 list.

Top 10 lists are de rigeur.

Faded from 14 to 12 to 9 to 8.5 in 13 games and 5 in 5?

His per game/per snap have been coming back up.

One serious injury and one 3 week injury in 6 years aren't huge injury issues.

He played 77 straight, missed 3, came back healthy and tore a pec.

Thanks for setting him straight.

Unbelievable that someone actually stated that the Texans are a better team without Williams.

Just unbelievable.

Nor is he the solution ;) He is ok but can easily be upgraded with an upper tier DE like Mathis and the like.

Mathis isn't a free agent.

Nor is he "The Solution" either...

I guess it was too tempting…

But a superstar at DE is the most important spot on the defense.

Quick -- name the teams with TWO superstar DEs on the roster. You keep a very solid, dependable Kelsay on one side, and go after your "difference maker" on the other.

Pretty simple, really.

Quick -- name the teams with TWO superstar DEs on the roster. You keep a very solid, dependable Kelsay on one side, and go after your "difference maker" on the other.

Pretty simple, really.

didnt argue we needed two, but.... you mean teams like the colts (freeney mathis) giants (tuck, osi, jpp).... would you count the lions (vandenbosch, and avril outside a big 3 at DT)? I know they arent household names but both major players. What about the eagles with babin and cole - similarly not huge names but good players.

Can i include teams like 49ers with the smiths but they run a 34?

multiple pass rushers is big. we have none. im about as big a kelsay supporter as there is, but to pass on an absolutely premier guy because of someone that should be rotational is nonsense.

didnt argue we needed two, but.... you mean teams like the colts (freeney mathis) giants (tuck, osi, jpp).... would you count the lions (vandenbosch, and avril outside a big 3 at DT)? I know they arent household names but both major players. What about the eagles with babin and cole - similarly not huge names but good players.

Can i include teams like 49ers with the smiths but they run a 34?

multiple pass rushers is big. we have none. im about as big a kelsay supporter as there is, but to pass on an absolutely premier guy because of someone that should be rotational is nonsense.

Kelsay is a very good pass rusher. Perhaps not elite, but look at how often he's in the backfield. I realize there are just some things I can't convince people of, but Kelsay opposite a "stud" DE would be a very good thing for this defense -- particularly considering you'd have Kyle and Dareus in the middle.

Kelsay is a very good pass rusher. Perhaps not elite, but look at how often he's in the backfield. I realize there are just some things I can't convince people of, but Kelsay opposite a "stud" DE would be a very good thing for this defense -- particularly considering you'd have Kyle and Dareus in the middle.

kelsay isnt bad, but he isnt a guy you gameplan around, and isnt a guy that you couldnt more or less replace if it meant getting an elite player. A DE that is gameplanned around is the single most game changing thing a defense can have - its like the franchise qb. mario williams is that type of player, while kelsay is a fitz. i like fitz, i like kelsay - i want game changers at both spots by whatever means possible. those two positions can make everyone else in the unit better.

with a guy like mario suddenly florence, mcgee, mckelvin all suddenly are upgraded, and our OLB behind him looks better - safeties get there hands on more rushed passes. turnovers help the offense. a start at any position helps but at DE and QB you get tremendous value (hence the high price tags) for the entire unit, and team. you get a lead and that end can close the game - kelsay isnt a guy that finishes a game out for the defense. kelsay is a guy that can help you hopefully hold on.

who is the stud youd like to see across from him?

Edited by NoSaint

kelsay isnt bad, but he isnt a guy you gameplan around, and isnt a guy that you couldnt more or less replace if it meant getting an elite player. A DE that is gameplanned around is the single most game changing thing a defense can have - its like the franchise qb. mario williams is that type of player, while kelsay is a fitz. i like fitz, i like kelsay - i want game changers at both spots by whatever means possible. those two positions can make everyone else in the unit better.

with a guy like mario suddenly florence, mcgee, mckelvin all suddenly are upgraded, and our OLB behind him looks better - safeties get there hands on more rushed passes. turnovers help the offense. a start at any position helps but at DE and QB you get tremendous value (hence the high price tags) for the entire unit, and team. you get a lead and that end can close the game - kelsay isnt a guy that finishes a game out for the defense. kelsay is a guy that can help you hopefully hold on.

who is the stud youd like to see across from him?

I don't have a particular name in mind. I just know, from watching a lot of football games, that Kelsay is the kind of guy you want to have on a well-rounded defense -- he doesn't make many mistakes and will occasionally make some big plays. It's not that easy to "replace" him with an elite player, and I don't think the Bills have the budget to pay two elite DEs.

And by the way, I believe the Bills already have two D-linemen other teams have to "gameplan around" in Dareus and Williams. Get a stud on the other end (opposite Kelsay) and that line becomes a handful to deal with.

Thanks for setting him straight.

Unbelievable that someone actually stated that the Texans are a better team without Williams.

Just unbelievable.

I'd bet that most people on this board had no idea who Mario Williams even was, then saw his name on the free agent list and quickly checked his stats on ESPN.

Edited by QCity