Would anyone franchise Bell?

97 members have voted

1. 1. Place franchise tag on Bell?

• Yes
    • No

Yes it would be expensive but it would give the team another year to determine if he can stay healthy or not? Everyone wants the elusive incentive laden contract, but some team is likely to pay him big dollars and he won't sign a deal with the Bills based on incentives(not that that wouldn't be fair to both sides - but who says capitalism is fair). Levi Brown being on the market may be the only thing that keeps Bell from being the most sought after lineman.

Even though I posted the question, I wouldn't do it. I would take DeCastro and play Levitre or Hairston at LT. In a dream Martin is there and some team wants him badly enough so we can drop 3-5 spots and still get Decastro. Wouldn't be upset with Martin at #10 either.

It's my understanding that under the new CBA there is no longer a transition tag. So in tis case, that is no longer an option. Only a franchise tag, which Bell isn't worth.

Bell probably wouldn't see more that $4.5-$5 million a year from the Bills and I believe there are other teams that will give him $7.5-$8 million per year on the open market. I've always had a sneaky feeling that the Jets will make a push for Bell. I know they have Ferguson already making big money on the left side, but there right side is weak. I know D. Bell is a LT and not a RT, but I just have a feeling the Jets will throw some cash at him.

I like Bell and wish the Bills would lock him up, I just don't see it happening.

Where is the "hell no" choice? I think Bell can be a very good LT when healthy, but he hasn't been able to stay healthy the past 3 years. I think he'll find the market for his services isn't what he thought it would be and will come with major incentives for playing time.

The Bills need to use draft picks to improve the team. Not to fill holes created by not resigning our own. Hopefully they can resign him. Franchise Tag? I don't know. That's one for the bean counters I quess.

The Bills need to use draft picks to improve the team. Not to fill holes created by not resigning our own. Hopefully they can resign him. Franchise Tag? I don't know. That's one for the bean counters I quess.

you are 100% correct and i think we all agree with you.

The problem is that this is a very weak FA Tackle class. So by default some team will most likely pay Bell baised on the fact that when healthy he has been good. They will, for the most part, over look the fact he has an injury history. Buffalo will not, and i am sure they have made him a fair offer. Its up to Bell to accept it or not.

Franchise him at the OLT rate??? Dear God NO.

I like him a lot - more than most on this board, but because of his health there's no way he rates that kind of cash, and I seriously doubt anyone else is going to pay him a number anywhere near that.

Frankly, what team would be stupid enough to give him any money up front at all??

Of course franchising him is out of the question. But as many have stated the issue is what is he worth to the Bills vs the open market. Most believe that he will garner much more money in free agency, but I'm not sure. I think teams that have a need at LT will look at Bell but won't shell out big money (I.E. 7.5-8 million per year), but he will get enough attention that he'll get more than the Bills will spend. Ultimately I think Bell has most likely played his last game as a Bill.

Yes it would be expensive but it would give the team another year to determine if he can stay healthy or not? Everyone wants the elusive incentive laden contract, but some team is likely to pay him big dollars and he won't sign a deal with the Bills based on incentives(not that that wouldn't be fair to both sides - but who says capitalism is fair). Levi Brown being on the market may be the only thing that keeps Bell from being the most sought after lineman.

Even though I posted the question, I wouldn't do it. I would take DeCastro and play Levitre or Hairston at LT. In a dream Martin is there and some team wants him badly enough so we can drop 3-5 spots and still get Decastro. Wouldn't be upset with Martin at #10 either.

The only bell franchise the bills should consider is Taco Bell.

I voted yes but I don't know that I'd actually do it. I do like the idea of having one more year to evaluate his health and development before making a long term commitment, even if you have to pay a little extra this year to do so. But I'm not sure it's worth $10+ mil that could go towards luring a big time FA to Buffalo.

The franchise tag cost for Bell would be $10,731,000 which is pretty expensive but is cheaper than giving a big bonus and then not liking the guy.

Good grief - $10M would be a big total price for a 3-year deal for him.

I mean - healthy he's worth a bunch - but he's never been healthy since he started playing.

Edited by BobChalmers

I would if I could then sign him to a long term deal. I would not just give him 10M this year. I think he should be offered a 2 tiered contract, incentives for the first year and then the big contract if he can stay healthy.

Give him a 4M base with 3M in incentives that in year two if he can start a minimum of 12 games and play as well as I believe he is capable than give him 4 years at 28M. A good LT is worth 7M per.

Edited by Chris in Syracuse

The franchise tag cost for Bell would be $10,731,000 which is pretty expensive but is cheaper than giving a big bonus and then not liking the guy.

I would not want to give him that much money on a 3yr deal. I'd sign him for 1-2 at about $2.5-3m per year and make him prove he can healthy. I would rather have Kirk Chambers at LT then pay Bell $10.7m for 1 year.

Edited by Maddog69

I hate to say this but anyone who thinks we should franchise Bell is delusional or on some serious meds. I asked this in a thread and poll at the beginning of the 2011 season that if Bell once again couldn't stay healthy, didn't play consistently, etc, blah blah blah could people FINALLY admit that the failed experiment is over? To admit he wasn't just as good as or anywhere near the production of Peters and if he was just a stop gap measure at best?

I don't mean to be mean but wake up people! This is not the guy! Swing tackle, back up. SURE as long as he is healthy when we actually need him for a few games. We need a solid, consistent, dependable guy like all of the other good teams have at LT.

Four years is enough to show you don't have what it takes. FOUR YEARS!!! The guy will be 28 this summer and should have been what he was going to be 2 years ago. This is an LT in the same system for the last 4 years not a QB or WR. Push the guy in front of you out of the way in the run game and don't let him get to your QB in the pass game. It's not that hard.