Luke Kuechly at 10

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I say if he is what some say he is, you do it. We don't want to look back in 5 years and regret choosing Sheppard over an Urlacher type player.

Agreed. If Buddy and Chan feel like he is an Urlacher type impact player, you must select him at #10.

Edited by SoCal RN

http://www.nesn.com/2012/03/luke-kuechly-dazzles-dozens-of-nfl-scouts-at-boston-colleges-pro-day.html

"But now the pre-draft process could get a whole lot more chaotic, as he'll visit the Panthers on Thursday and then begin a run of meetings with teams that are interested in his services."

Hmm, first time I've seen him on the Panthers radar. I still think they pick a DT.

If we resign Bell and that's the big IF, I'd be happy with a defense pick at #10, otherwise you probably have to draft an LT there.

I'd prefer a linebacker but I'm coming around to being alright with a CB.

I think the Bills should draft Mark Barron then trade back into the first round to select Zebrie Sanders. ;)

I think it would be a good pick depending on who is available.

Martin would definitely fill a long standing need even if he isn't an all pro. The Bills have had a whole on the left side for a long, long time. However, a bust would really set the Bills back. Can Sanders in the second be serviceable? After the senior bowl, I really like Adams. I also like Stephen Hill. I'm not sold on Floyd, since I worry about drafting another Marshawn Lynch. In some ways, I would be happy if the Bills trade down, but I also know that it would be good that they draft a difference maker even if it isn't an area of need.

There are three LT prospects worthy of a #10 pick or better, and it is where we have been weak, and where, assuming Bell doesn't come back, we will be in a condition of arterial bleeding. Not having addressed the need in free agency to date, it is an obvious choice. The next need is for WR and this draft is pretty deep with them and I see us getting one in the second or third. A linebacker should be in the mix, but not until we get the best OT available at 10

There are three LT prospects worthy of a #10 pick or better, and it is where we have been weak, and where, assuming Bell doesn't come back, we will be in a condition of arterial bleeding. Not having addressed the need in free agency to date, it is an obvious choice. The next need is for WR and this draft is pretty deep with them and I see us getting one in the second or third. A linebacker should be in the mix, but not until we get the best OT available at 10

Drafting for need is the sure-fire way to get yourself in trouble. Would I take Kalil over Kuechly, of course. Would I take Jonathan Martin or Riley Reiff of Kuechly? Not a chance.

While Martin and Reiff may end up being decent players, I think Kuechly's going to be an NFL star. If the Bills pass on him over either of these two then they'll be kicking themselves for a long time.

Player rating's wise, he's a much better prospect than either of those two LTs. He may even be the one player who can cover NE's Gronk. How valuable would a player like THAT be?

LBs are largely becoming obsolete in today's NFL, as on the majority of snaps, you're going to only have 1-2 LBs on the field. (with 4 DLs and 5-6 DBs) Given that we have Barnett and Sheppard, and that Scott is the Nickel LB, there's no point in wasting the #10 pick on an LB.

Think about it: Most of the time we're going with Barnett himself (4-1-6), or Barnett and Scott (4-2-5). Do you really want to piss away the #10 pick on a LB that only plays 40% of the downs, and one that wasn't very imp[ressive at the collegiate level? The guy racks up big tackle numbers, and thats about it. If we are going to waste the #10 on an LB, i'd rather it be Upshaw/Hightower.

Edited by Ramius

LBs are largely becoming obsolete in today's NFL, as on the majority of snaps, you're going to only have 1-2 LBs on the field. (with 4 DLs and 5-6 DBs) Given that we have Barnett and Sheppard, and that Scott is the Nickel LB, there's no point in wasting the #10 pick on an LB.

Think about it: Most of the time we're going with Barnett himself (4-1-6), or Barnett and Scott (4-2-5). Do you really want to piss away the #10 pick on a LB that only plays 40% of the downs, and one that wasn't very imp[ressive at the collegiate level? The guy racks up big tackle numbers, and thats about it. If we are going to waste the #10 on an LB, i'd rather it be Upshaw/Hightower.

I agree with your general premise but if you can get an ILB with superior pass defense skills as Kuechly is reputed to have, then he might be a fit in today's league. Essentially, he's a bigger, faster, more athletic version of Scott. I doubt we'd take him as I don't think the Bills will have him rated as their BPA but I can see reasons for teams to take him.

GO BILLS!!!

Barnett is aging and injury prone, Sheppard is an unproven 2nd round pick from a year ago. If the front office thinks Kuechly is going to be a great player for 10 years, why wouldn't you draft him? Just because we have 2 starters penciled in to the starting lineup right now does not mean we cant improve on them. What has Sheppard shown you to make you think he's going to be a better NFL player than Luke Kuechly?

Reminds me of Ray Lewis....he stays around the ball and isn't afraid to be vocal

Wow. I'm impressed you didn't go with the white LB has to be compared to the white LB like all black QB have to be compare to black QBs. Kudos, but is he really that type of prospect? Because that's definitely a pick I could get behind if Floyd is gone.

Can anyone name the Giants' starting LB's?

The substitute teacher guy. :thumbsup: But I do generally agree. LBs are the rbs of the defense. The better the line is in front of them, the better they are. If a line is good enough, they are almost interchangable.

Floyd or Offensive Weapon should be our first pick. If no one is there that can fill that, I dont have a problem if they go with Kuechly.

I dont know enough to say he'll definitely be a star, or definitely be a bust. I like what Ive seen on film, and if Nix/Whaley like him to, then good choice.

Floyd, Kuechly/OT... would be my choices.

Floyd or Offensive Weapon should be our first pick. If no one is there that can fill that, I dont have a problem if they go with Kuechly.

I dont know enough to say he'll definitely be a star, or definitely be a bust. I like what Ive seen on film, and if Nix/Whaley like him to, then good choice.

Floyd, Kuechly/OT... would be my choices.

I'm definitely on board with you but if they picked another pass rusher (Ingram maybe?), I won't complain either. I want to absolutely be housing QBs this year. I've seen too many games of Brady and Sanchez getting mani and pedis behind their olines.

I agree with your general premise but if you can get an ILB with superior pass defense skills as Kuechly is reputed to have, then he might be a fit in today's league. Essentially, he's a bigger, faster, more athletic version of Scott. I doubt we'd take him as I don't think the Bills will have him rated as their BPA but I can see reasons for teams to take him.

GO BILLS!!!

Our LBs DO NOT rush the passer, just the DL.

Ramius is right and I agree 1000%. At least half of the snaps will be in nickle or dime. OUr DL is set, if you want to continue to rebuild the D more and make it even stronger, then CB is the pick. McKelvin is a weaker link that Barnett, Morrision and Sheppard. McGee doesn't last an entire year (hence him restructuring his contract). You will see 4-1-6, 4-2-6 and maybe even 5-1-5. Yes 4-3-4 is our base D, but in half the plays at least 1 of our LBs heads to the bench.

Oh yeah, just one more time. Our LBs DO NOT rush the passer :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I'm definitely on board with you but if they picked another pass rusher (Ingram maybe?), I won't complain either. I want to absolutely be housing QBs this year. I've seen too many games of Brady and Sanchez getting mani and pedis behind their olines.

Agreed. Lets face it, between Merriman, Kelsay and even Anderson, the other DE spot needs to be upgraded/replaced soon.

I've always said that Upshaw reminds me of a Abraham/Merriman hybrid. He was always my first pick from way back. Wouldnt mind if we ended up with him or Ingram.

Agreed. Lets face it, between Merriman, Kelsay and even Anderson, the other DE spot needs to be upgraded/replaced soon.

I've always said that Upshaw reminds me of a Abraham/Merriman hybrid. He was always my first pick from way back. Wouldnt mind if we ended up with him or Ingram.

I hate putting too much emphasis on offseason stuff and the combine but it changed my opinion on Upshaw. I loved him before Mario and all that jazz. But he has short arms and doesn't have an explosive 1st step they say you need to be a great NFL pass rusher.

Still, he was a great producer in the SEC. I'm more in the Ingram camp now because of his ability to line up anywhere.

Edited by C.Biscuit97

Our LBs DO NOT rush the passer, just the DL.

Ramius is right and I agree 1000%. At least half of the snaps will be in nickle or dime. OUr DL is set, if you want to continue to rebuild the D more and make it even stronger, then CB is the pick. McKelvin is a weaker link that Barnett, Morrision and Sheppard. McGee doesn't last an entire year (hence him restructuring his contract). You will see 4-1-6, 4-2-6 and maybe even 5-1-5. Yes 4-3-4 is our base D, but in half the plays at least 1 of our LBs heads to the bench.

Oh yeah, just one more time. Our LBs DO NOT rush the passer :wallbash: :wallbash: :wallbash:

I am not sure what you mean in this post at all. It is all over the place. My emphasis was ENTIRELY on the fact that Kuechly plays superior pass defense. Not one mention of him rushing the passer. And EVERY other post I've made on the subject in this and other threads suggests the Bills will seek to generate pressure from their front four ONLY, allowing them to drop seven in coverage and being able to double multiple receivers. Having a superior coverage MLB in ANY nickel or dime package, ESPECIALLY on first down, is an advantage for the defense.

Don't get a headache bashing your head against the wall in responses to posts that have nothing to do with why you're doing that head bashing in the first place.

Oh, and for the record, I'm all for taking BPA and if that's a CB I'm just fine with it. But our CBs got a helluva lot better with the new pass rush we just signed.

GO BILLS!!!

Edited by K-9

Can anyone name the Giants' starting LB's?

Do you remember the great interception that Chase Blackburn had over Gronkowski in the super bowl? He isn't exactly a household name and I doubt too many people know who he is... but it doesnt hurt to have talent at every position

Do you remember the great interception that Chase Blackburn had over Gronkowski in the super bowl? He isn't exactly a household name and I doubt too many people know who he is... but it doesnt hurt to have talent at every position

I agree. But you can only fix so many holes. If Kuechly can cover Gronk, I'd take him at 10. Otherwise the Bills have needs at other positions they should fill first.

The reason there is a strong de-emphasis on LBs over the past couple years is because 90% of them cannot cover. Keuchly can, and can cover well. I am hoping for a different direction in the draft as I really want a LT or Floyd #1, but I would really have no problem with Luke. He's surely a Nix/Gailey kind of player, and has a chance at being a true star.

That is the main reason I am looking at Floyd more and more. He serves a distinct purpose AND has a legitimate chance of being a true star player in this league. I want a guy like Martin at LT because we need talent and stability there, but I don't look at him as having a really good shot at being a star and stud, just a solid 10 year pro at a huge position.

Teams win with a few star players surrounded by a few very good players and a boatload of good and role players. Keuchly has a decent chance at being a star, as does Floyd. We have one star in Mario, with Fred and Dareus and Kyle and maybe Stevie being close.

I am not sure what you mean in this post at all. It is all over the place. My emphasis was ENTIRELY on the fact that Kuechly plays superior pass defense. Not one mention of him rushing the passer. And EVERY other post I've made on the subject in this and other threads suggests the Bills will seek to generate pressure from their front four ONLY, allowing them to drop seven in coverage and being able to double multiple receivers. Having a superior coverage MLB in ANY nickel or dime package, ESPECIALLY on first down, is an advantage for the defense.

Don't get a headache bashing your head against the wall in responses to posts that have nothing to do with why you're doing that head bashing in the first place.

Oh, and for the record, I'm all for taking BPA and if that's a CB I'm just fine with it. But our CBs got a helluva lot better with the new pass rush we just signed.

GO BILLS!!!

I apologize K-9, my bad :thumbsup: . At the post above mine I was rushing the passer and for some reason I was looking at that as I was typing. :thumbdown: I also had anotehr tab open and was replying in that one. I feel that I may have mixed a few up :wallbash:

Anyways,there have been lots of posts in different threads talking about how we need to draft another LB or another 6 LBs because ours all suck. Or the posts that say xxx LB is a great pass rusher, he would be a beast. I am just sick of seeing the draft an LB at 10 as well. I love good fast big hard hitting LBs as much as the next guy, but we have way bigger holes to fill. I think my response was just irritation reading countless threads and comments on us needing LBs. Again my apologies! :oops:

For the record, I want Floyd or a CB in rd 1 and we need a LT somewhere in the first 3...

The reason there is a strong de-emphasis on LBs over the past couple years is because 90% of them cannot cover. Keuchly can, and can cover well. I am hoping for a different direction in the draft as I really want a LT or Floyd #1, but I would really have no problem with Luke. He's surely a Nix/Gailey kind of player, and has a chance at being a true star.

That is the main reason I am looking at Floyd more and more. He serves a distinct purpose AND has a legitimate chance of being a true star player in this league. I want a guy like Martin at LT because we need talent and stability there, but I don't look at him as having a really good shot at being a star and stud, just a solid 10 year pro at a huge position.

Teams win with a few star players surrounded by a few very good players and a boatload of good and role players. Keuchly has a decent chance at being a star, as does Floyd. We have one star in Mario, with Fred and Dareus and Kyle and maybe Stevie being close.

If Kuechly can cover, I'd take him and take my chances with Easley or Aiken being the #2 and Hairston being the LT. Or perhaps address these in later rounds.

I apologize K-9, my bad :thumbsup: . At the post above mine I was rushing the passer and for some reason I was looking at that as I was typing. :thumbdown: I also had anotehr tab open and was replying in that one. I feel that I may have mixed a few up :wallbash:

Anyways,there have been lots of posts in different threads talking about how we need to draft another LB or another 6 LBs because ours all suck. Or the posts that say xxx LB is a great pass rusher, he would be a beast. I am just sick of seeing the draft an LB at 10 as well. I love good fast big hard hitting LBs as much as the next guy, but we have way bigger holes to fill. I think my response was just irritation reading countless threads and comments on us needing LBs. Again my apologies! :oops:

For the record, I want Floyd or a CB in rd 1 and we need a LT somewhere in the first 3...

No worries, Mr. Reed83.

I'm all about BPA, regardless. We need playmakers and like a I've said a million times here, playmaker is ALWAYS a position of need.

GO BILLS!!!

No worries, Mr. Reed83.

I'm all about BPA, regardless. We need playmakers and like a I've said a million times here, playmaker is ALWAYS a position of need.

GO BILLS!!!

We need Playmakers. I think our D is solid, a few places we could improve on; but I see our offense as needing some top draft help this year. We can't have the 3 and outs or the 3rd and longs; the our D goes right back on the field - wearing down and getting tired. That is where the injuries jump up and get us - way too much exposure.

I would love a few playmakers to help the O stay on the field and put up points and ride with what we have on D, with the exception of CB. Next season we plug any shortcomings at LB, besides they are cheaper in FA than LTs, WRs and CBs.

Wow. I'm impressed you didn't go with the white LB has to be compared to the white LB like all black QB have to be compare to black QBs. Kudos, but is he really that type of prospect? Because that's definitely a pick I could get behind if Floyd is gone.

The substitute teacher guy. :thumbsup: But I do generally agree. LBs are the rbs of the defense. The better the line is in front of them, the better they are. If a line is good enough, they are almost interchangable.

No Keuchly is not a Ray Lewis kind of player.

Stylistically they could hardly be more different.

Everyone is talking about BPA when it comes time to pick at #10. Assuming we don't trade down and Luke Kuechly is BPA, what stops us from drafting him and plugging him in at strong side linebacker? I've watched a ton of football and would guess from his combine numbers and college footage that he has the wheels to play in space and cover/blitz... He would also be great insurance for the middle linebacker position in the event that Sheppard goes down, or just can't cover in a 4-3 D (Sheppard will have to cover more ground in this D).

He would be a great pick. We only have 3 Lbs that i would be comfortable having on the field. Those are NB KS and Morrison. You can bank on at least one of those getting hurt. Kuechly can play all 3 lb positions. I honestly think its going to come down to Floyd vs kuechly. Id be happy with either player.

I'm not trying to be a prick, but there is another thread that's a few pages long on this topic. I'd recommend reading it because I thought the discussion was pretty good. In short, nothing stops us. His measurables allow him to play sam or mike in a 4-3.

Everyone is talking about BPA when it comes time to pick at #10. Assuming we don't trade down and Luke Kuechly is BPA, what stops us from drafting him and plugging him in at strong side linebacker? I've watched a ton of football and would guess from his combine numbers and college footage that he has the wheels to play in space and cover/blitz... He would also be great insurance for the middle linebacker position in the event that Sheppard goes down, or just can't cover in a 4-3 D (Sheppard will have to cover more ground in this D).

He definitely could be the pick as he has the wheels and instincts to cover and make plays ,my only knock o him is he is not a killer, just a pull down tackler often down field.

He definitely could be the pick as he has the wheels and instincts to cover and make plays ,my only knock o him is he is not a killer, just a pull down tackler often down field.

I agree that he is often making tackles down field. But you can see that the team around him is just terrible, and the line in front of him is just getting blown off the ball. He seems a pretty sure tackler, and with a better line he would probably be able to move forward, and meet the runner sooner.

I will be disappointed if he is the 10th pick, though.