Luke Kuechly at 10

I'm not a big Kuechly fan because he is Poz light ( a pull down tackler, 5 yds down the field) but with his 4.50 speed he just put up at the combine who could fill Dave's requirements for speedy LBs could easily shift to the outside.

"Brings new meaning to the term ‘tackling-machine’; indeed, had 330 tackles in his first two seasons including a remarkable 183 in 2010; also has had over 10 tackles in 22 straight games;

Measurable don’t impress, but he is a smart, fundamentally-sound, instinctive run-stuffer who is always around the ball; takes great angles to the ball and is a solid wrap-up tackler who seldom misses a stop in the open-field; lacks sprinter speed, but is light on his feet and can dance around the traffic;

Not as effective in coverage, especially when forced to cover one-on-one, but takes good drops and breaks crisply on the ball in zone; had three picks and three other pass break-ups last year." Colin Lindsy

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm not a big Kuechly fan because he is Poz light ( a pull down tackler, 5 yds down the field) but with his 4.50 speed he just put up at the combine who could fill Dave's requirements for speedy LBs could easily shift to the outside.

"Brings new meaning to the term ‘tackling-machine’; indeed, had 330 tackles in his first two seasons including a remarkable 183 in 2010; also has had over 10 tackles in 22 straight games;

Measurable don’t impress, but he is a smart, fundamentally-sound, instinctive run-stuffer who is always around the ball; takes great angles to the ball and is a solid wrap-up tackler who seldom misses a stop in the open-field; lacks sprinter speed, but is light on his feet and can dance around the traffic;

Not as effective in coverage, especially when forced to cover one-on-one, but takes good drops and breaks crisply on the ball in zone; had three picks and three other pass break-ups last year." Colin Lindsy

Mayock said Kuechly is the most instinctive drop back into coverage LB he has ever seen.

Mayock said Kuechly is the most instinctive drop back into coverage LB he has ever seen.

Now that IS interesting! I would love to drop down a bit and get him. 10?....I don't know. If he doesn't pan out we look like idiots for reaching so high with so many other needs.

Me neither but you know "PBA" and he can cover better than they are giving him credit for and he fits what Dave likes.

He won't be the BPA at #10...No matter how it falls...

Not saying he's a bad Prospect or anything like that...But BPA at #10? No way... B-)

According to who? He may certainly be in the bills top 10. I've seen a few different analysts have him in their top 10, why can't our FO? He's definitely talented, and if we didn't already have sheppard, I'd be all about it. But we do, so I hope he's not the pick. If one of those guys can be effective as an OLB, it would be interesting. We need to improve our pass rush more than anything. Drafting kuechly would make our pass rush even worse, as sheppard would most likely be our other OLB. I'm not sure I like him bringing it as a pash rusher. We would have to get a premier pass rusher at DE in the 2nd for it to work. Or it's wait til next year, again.

LOL at making tackles five yards down field. You haven't watched him. Guy knifes through traffic. Watch the tape.

No tape needed, I watched plenty of Whole games and that is what I saw maybe you should watch more than tape.

He won't be the BPA at #10...No matter how it falls...

Not saying he's a bad Prospect or anything like that...But BPA at #10? No way... B-)

He's ranked 8th overall on Drafttek.

According to who? He may certainly be in the bills top 10. I've seen a few different analysts have him in their top 10, why can't our FO? He's definitely talented, and if we didn't already have sheppard, I'd be all about it. But we do, so I hope he's not the pick. If one of those guys can be effective as an OLB, it would be interesting. We need to improve our pass rush more than anything. Drafting kuechly would make our pass rush even worse, as sheppard would most likely be our other OLB. I'm not sure I like him bringing it as a pash rusher. We would have to get a premier pass rusher at DE in the 2nd for it to work. Or it's wait til next year, again.

Dave's D doesn't require much pass rushing from LBs.

1330421637[/url]' post='2390801']

No tape needed, I watched plenty of Whole games and that is what I saw maybe you should watch more than tape.

Dave's D doesn't require much pass rushing from LBs.

If thats the case, better hope Sheppard can play OLB. I think he's too slow to play 4-3 OLB personally. Maybe Kuechly can, but I doubt sheppard can.

I believe Wansted already said Sheppard is his ILB and that Barnett would be outside. If Kuechly can cover TE's I would rather have him on the outside blanketing Gronkowski after he gets jammed at the line. I was baffled all year why teams didn't jam him at the line like the Ravens and the Giants did at the end of the year. All it takes is a pass rusher to disrupt him on their way to Brady and tight coverage after 5 yards.

I'm trying to think of highly-drafted ILB's who were worth their draft position.

Obviously Patrick Willis is a great player but even he was taken 11th overall.

A.J. Hawk had all the measurables and was taken 5th overall and he's been a big disappointment.

ILB is usually not a position where you draft a player that high… similar to OG.

Just a thought.

Also, I watched some video of this kid and he looks like he'll be every bit as good as the defensive line in front of him.

Unless they think he can be moved outside and be a great weakside defender like Derrick Brooks, I can't see Kuechly at #10… and most of us would agree that you wouldn't want to take someone there and move him to a different position.

I'm trying to think of highly-drafted ILB's who were worth their draft position.

A.J. Hawk had all the measurables and was taken 5th overall and he's been a big disappointment.

ILB is usually not a position where you draft a player that high… similar to OG.

Just a thought.

Also, I watched some video of this kid and he looks like he'll be every bit as good as the defensive line in front of him.

Unless they think he can be moved outside and be a great weakside defender like Derrick Brooks, I can't see Kuechly at #10… and most of us would agree that you wouldn't want to take someone there and move him to a different position.

Great point. That was Jauron football. Draft a guy at one position and play him at another. It's a recipe for failure as it works out less often than it succeeds.

I just randomly pulled up 3 Big Boards (CBS, Great Blue North, and FF Toolbox)...Kuechly Ranked 19th, 21st, and 15th on those Boards respectively...Not saying any of these Boards are great or anything like that...Just saying...

It all depends on how The Bills project him (position-wise especially) of course, but I don't think he's a Top 10 Prospect, especially for Buffalo...I also don't see him as the OLB-type The Bills Need...And The Bills are already on record stating Shep will be the Starter in the middle...I think that really says something because they've been pretty vague about the rest so far...To me a Top 10 ILB has to be a physical force...and I don't see Kuechly as that type of Pro Player...No question I could be wrong about that in time...Mayock says he's the most instinctive LB in coverage he's ever seen...So I'm well aware he's a darn good Player...But Top 10? To Buffalo? We'll see I guess...But I just don't see it as a match right now... B-)

Just a thought.

Exactly... B-)