Luke Kuechly at 10

I'm not a big Kuechly fan because he is Poz light ( a pull down tackler, 5 yds down the field) but with his 4.50 speed he just put up at the combine who could fill Dave's requirements for speedy LBs could easily shift to the outside.

"Brings new meaning to the term ‘tackling-machine’; indeed, had 330 tackles in his first two seasons including a remarkable 183 in 2010; also has had over 10 tackles in 22 straight games;

Measurable don’t impress, but he is a smart, fundamentally-sound, instinctive run-stuffer who is always around the ball; takes great angles to the ball and is a solid wrap-up tackler who seldom misses a stop in the open-field; lacks sprinter speed, but is light on his feet and can dance around the traffic;

Not as effective in coverage, especially when forced to cover one-on-one, but takes good drops and breaks crisply on the ball in zone; had three picks and three other pass break-ups last year." Colin Lindsy

not in the top 3 linebackers in this draft.

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's riskier taking a bad , non-white player with the # 10 pick. Look what we did in '09: we took Maybin and passed on Cushing and Matthews.

Yeah, I would've taken anyone over the worst of JoePa's garbage, that pick was an obvious disaster from the get-go... but I still wouldn't have drafted Cushing or Matthews either. I learned my lesson once and for all with AJ Hawk, Let other teams take the risk, and congrats if it works out for them

When you started off BB i was hoping you were talking about Kuechly at Strong side and that he could well succeed. I dont see anyone usurping(?) Barnett or Sheppard and Coach said these were the guys set at position. The discussion has been tossed about Morrison being resigned as strong side or depth for Shepp. I agree.

Position of need is strong side linebacker and needs to be addressed asap or sooner. Regardless of Morrison sign. we also, down the list need lots depth behind Nick and a great place for a rookie to learn. But not at 10 or 41.

If we draft a weak side or MLB it should be a non starter i hope you guys can agree, and could be found later. Picking at #ten its a dominating starter who will shove aside who ever we had lined up last year and no one but. I am a fan of this Kuechly also,

i should mention.

Am i off my rocker again?

1330504199[/url]' post='2391439']

Sheppard is playing MLB, so what's the problem

Can kuechly play OLB? Drafting a lb number 10 and asking him to go from ilb to olb? I dunno about that. Maybe it would work out well. I said think there are better options that don't have to play a new position.

When you started off BB i was hoping you were talking about Kuechly at Strong side and that he could well succeed. I dont see anyone usurping(?) Barnett or Sheppard and Coach said these were the guys set at position. The discussion has been tossed about Morrison being resigned as strong side or depth for Shepp. I agree.

Position of need is strong side linebacker and needs to be addressed asap or sooner. Regardless of Morrison sign. we also, down the list need lots depth behind Nick and a great place for a rookie to learn. But not at 10 or 41.

If we draft a weak side or MLB it should be a non starter i hope you guys can agree, and could be found later. Picking at #ten its a dominating starter who will shove aside who ever we had lined up last year and no one but. I am a fan of this Kuechly also,

i should mention.

Am i off my rocker again?

Yes at SSLB, no you're not off your rocker but we may all be by the time the draft gets here :D

Can kuechly play OLB? Drafting a lb number 10 and asking him to go from ilb to olb? I dunno about that. Maybe it would work out well. I said think there are better options that don't have to play a new position.

I believe he can play outside but like I said I really don't like his tacking style and don't really want him. I started the post with that the FO might like him and could take him at 10.

I'm trying to think of highly-drafted ILB's who were worth their draft position.

Obviously Patrick Willis is a great player but even he was taken 11th overall.

A.J. Hawk had all the measurables and was taken 5th overall and he's been a big disappointment.

ILB is usually not a position where you draft a player that high… similar to OG.

Just a thought.

Also, I watched some video of this kid and he looks like he'll be every bit as good as the defensive line in front of him.

Unless they think he can be moved outside and be a great weakside defender like Derrick Brooks, I can't see Kuechly at #10… and most of us would agree that you wouldn't want to take someone there and move him to a different position.

Yes. He's much more valuable to say, New England at 27 or even better at 31. He'll look good covering whatever stiff we have at TE this year - and next, and next and the year-after-year after that.

Edited by Nanker

Not trying to imply anything, but any reason you only want the Bills to draft white players?

If you look at my sig there are more black guys, just picking the guys I like and not trying to be biased against white players like many on here are. I actually think Kuechly sucks and have no idea why he is ranked so high but just saying he could an option the Bills are looking at.

I read a bit more today and Luke may not be a concern when we pick in the first round.

One of the problems this year might be deciding on picking End or Line backer. Right now. at this moment we do not have anyone that can play sslb well excepting possibly Morrison.

Can we say that we have no one to play opposite Kelsey? a maybe merriman healthy? I am not sure which is the greater need because it's darn close.

Yes. He's much more valuable to say, New England at 27 or even better at 31. He'll look good covering whatever stiff we have at TE this year - and next, and next and the year-after-year after that.

Looks like you're the only person here in favor of the Bills taking him at #10.

I believe Wansted already said Sheppard is his ILB and that Barnett would be outside. If Kuechly can cover TE's I would rather have him on the outside blanketing Gronkowski after he gets jammed at the line. I was baffled all year why teams didn't jam him at the line like the Ravens and the Giants did at the end of the year. All it takes is a pass rusher to disrupt him on their way to Brady and tight coverage after 5 yards.

The truth is that no one is going to cover Gronkowski if the pass is perfectly thrown. You can only hope he drops it, the QB has an errant throw or the QB and receiver miscommunicate. You can cover him closely to make a play if one of those things happen but why would you pick Kuelchy at 10 when you can get Kendricks in the second or third round?

It's a classic case of a guy who is open even when he is covered.

Edited by Trader

The truth is that no one is going to cover Gronkowski if the pass is perfectly thrown. You can only hope he drops it, the QB has an errant throw or the QB and receiver miscommunicate. You can cover him closely to make a play if one of those things happen but why would you pick Kuelchy at 10 when you can get Kendricks in the second or third round?

It's a classic case of a guy who is open even when he is covered.

Very true! Did you see that special little report on Gronk's catch range (I think it was on ESPN...Not sure though)? His Height + Wing Span + Vert...It's ridiculous! He's an awful tough cover...One of the toughest in the NFL... B-)

• 2 weeks later...

I've been reading up on Luke Kuechly and it seems like there's a better than good chance he's the second coming of Brian Urlacher.

If they got Mario Williams and...

...then picked ILB Luke Kuechly at #10

...then picked OLB Ronnell Lewis at #41

Geez, the Bills' defense would look better than good!

I think Luke Kuechly would be a true leader of the defense and the team. This team lacks leadership. I know that many here are looking at DE, OT or WR at #10, but I'm not wowed by any of the players that are being discussed.

4 page thread on Marvin McNutt and Mr. Kuechly gets nothing?...LOL

Didn't want to, but I had to bump. This defense would be downright nasty if Williams comes here and we drafted Kuechly.

In Dareus, the Bills made up for not drafting Ngata, In Kuechly, the Bills would make up for being robbed of Patrick Willis by San Fran one pick ahead of us.

I've been reading up on Luke Kuechly and it seems like there's a better than good chance he's the second coming of Brian Urlacher.

If they got Mario Williams and...

...then picked ILB Luke Kuechly at #10

...then picked OLB Ronnell Lewis at #41

Geez, the Bills' defense would look better than good!

I think Luke Kuechly would be a true leader of the defense and the team. This team lacks leadership. I know that many here are looking at DE, OT or WR at #10, but I'm not wowed by any of the players that are being discussed.

they need to take the tackle from standford if he is still there or even matt kahil if he is still there for some reason. i dont think bell is going to come back and harriston did decent last year but the bills need a sure thing at left tackle and that is one position that hurt them last year. levitrie is more of a guard so he cant really move out, only if there are injuries he should move out there other than that him and wood will lock down the middle of the o-line and we got a decent right tackle now all they need to do is sure up that left tackle spot and the o-line will be fine. if it comes down to it they need to take quition coaples from north carolina.