Have I Mentioned Recently How Much I Hate Bicyclists?

Chef Jim

My link

Worse, when she yelps, "Watch out!" when riders nearly hit her, the response is often, "F- you. Mind your own business."

Yup that's the attitude the you typically get from bicyclists in this city.

Hodge says the coalition and the city are aware of that dynamic, and met last fall to discuss ways to enhance safety. The most likely solution is to create "bulb-out" corners for pedestrians.

"Bulb-outs reduce the length of the crossing and also forces the bicyclists to slow down because they make the corner sharper," Hodge said. "And (police) enforcement is increasingly important. We want to work with the police to identify space and behavior that are dangerous."

Here's an idea. Post a cop there and start writing these !@#$s tickets.

Edited by Chef Jim

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I hate them for many reasons but one that really pisses me off is when they dress in full bike gear (spandex). This isn't the tour de France there lance, you're riding to the store.

And for how much "exercise" they get on their bikes why are the all so fat.

You should see these idiots take over the narrow country roads in wine country. Three wide and they give you dirty looks if you even insinuate they move over.

You shouldn't hate. I love biking!

I love biking too. It's the arrogant bikers I detest.

Question for ya Pete. How often to you ride your bike stoned?

You just don't like the fact that the rules of the road/laws never apply to bikers but always apply to motorists and pedestrians.

Yeah that sucks.

You should see these idiots take over the narrow country roads in wine country. Three wide and they give you dirty looks if you even insinuate they move over.

Buy a big diesel truck. They often move when they hear diesel and if they don't you can just lay coal on them. (laying coal is hitting the accerlator hard to leave them a nice set of smoke filled lungs that lingers).

And for how much "exercise" they get on their bikes why are the all so fat.

Yes that happens all the time here in the back country of San Diego. What is the proper bike behavior for this situation? Earlier this week I was behind a large truck with a nonexistant shoulder. The truck drives past a biker, the force of the wind pushing out and then the vacuum behind the truck pulling the biker in combined with a rocky shoulder caused the biker to crash. I stopped to see if she was OK. She was pissed at the truck as if he had done something wrong. What could the trucker do? Narrow road at 50mph with traffic coming the other way. The biker is taking their chances if you ask me.

Also on another road they block the road 3 to 4 wide. I am forced to go 15 mph behind them until no oncoming traffic and then can pass. What are the rules of the road in that scenerio? Personally I would like to mow them over.

Not in this city. They're revered here. I'd go to jail for life.

Same here in Portland.

The crazy ones are the people who ride their bike up in the west hills here. And there are a ton of people who do this. All of the roads are narrow, windy, steep roads with no shoulders on them. Not to mention the steep cliffs they could fall down if they happened to fall of the road. :wallbash:

Ah what timing of this thread. The wife and I were walking across the street and off of the traffic circle comes a bicyclist. She cuts us off as we're in the cross walk. She was probaly two feet away from me and I say "excuse me!" She doesn't acknowledge us, no "sorry", nothing. I should have kept walking. She would have run right into me. What a B word.

Yes that happens all the time here in the back country of San Diego. What is the proper bike behavior for this situation? Earlier this week I was behind a large truck with a nonexistant shoulder. The truck drives past a biker, the force of the wind pushing out and then the vacuum behind the truck pulling the biker in combined with a rocky shoulder caused the biker to crash. I stopped to see if she was OK. She was pissed at the truck as if he had done something wrong. What could the trucker do? Narrow road at 50mph with traffic coming the other way. The biker is taking their chances if you ask me.

Also on another road they block the road 3 to 4 wide. I am forced to go 15 mph behind them until no oncoming traffic and then can pass. What are the rules of the road in that scenerio? Personally I would like to mow them over.

Do what I've done in the past. Get behind them and lay on the horn until the move over single file. They'll get the point.

I want to get a bike.. Do they come with an extra large seat? Would also need something to hold my wine.

Here you go....

http://blogs.ajc.com/momania/files/2012/01/Mybike.jpg

What do they call that tank that you strap to your back.

A Camelback...

http://www.camelbak.com/Sports-Recreation/Packs.aspx

Do what I've done in the past. Get behind them and lay on the horn until the move over single file. They'll get the point.

This is the horn I want to get....

http://www.hornblasters.com/

For New York State....

http://public.leginfo.state.ny.us/LAWSSEAF.cgi?QUERYTYPE=LAWS+&QUERYDATA=$$VAT1234$$@TXVAT01234+&LIST=LAW+&BROWSER=EXPLORER+&TOKEN=47331274+&TARGET=VIEW

(b) Persons riding bicycles or skating or gliding on in-line skates

upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast.

1330210050[/url]' post='2389283']

Here you go....

http://blogs.ajc.com...2/01/Mybike.jpg

A Camelback...

http://www.camelbak....tion/Packs.aspx

This is the horn I want to get....

http://www.hornblasters.com/

For New York State....

http://public.leginf...74+&TARGET=VIEW

(b) Persons riding bicycles or skating or gliding on in-line skates

upon a roadway shall not ride more than two abreast.

I am going bike shopping.

Most cyclists hate the folks your descibing as well. In fact, there is a pretty specific way of doing things and traffic laws and interaction with cars is a serious matter. Im not in the mood to be riding in a paceline at 25 MPH and have me and 5 of my friends taken out by a truck becuase the schmuck taking the pull off the front decided to blow a light..

But the thing is....most car drivers expect all cyclists to obey the rules to a "T" 100% of the time. Alternatively, most cyclists expect car drivers to obey the rules to a "T" 100% of the time.

That....will never happen. Humans are funny about that "100% correct behavior all the time" thing. It typically doesnt sit well.

So we do out best.

For example.....If i happen to be spaced out and BSing with two friends and we are three abreast and Im holding you up? Give a short toot on your horn and Ill be happy to snap to it, alert those in front of me "CAR BACK" and we will then drop back into a single file line. Then you can pass and we can all enjoy our day. Or...if Im riding along and youre making a left without your signal on and you bounce out in front of me becuase darnit...you just didnt know I was there because you were tuning your radio or chatting with your passenger? Ill just slow on down and let you go in front of me, or behind me, whichever works best.

See how that works? Was that so hard?

And stojan....you DO realize that those "tough" football players you love so much wear spandex knickers, right?

Edited by RkFast

Most cyclists hate the folks your descibing as well. In fact, there is a pretty specific way of doing things and traffic laws and interaction with cars is a serious matter. Im not in the mood to be riding in a paceline at 25 MPH and have me and 5 of my friends taken out by a truck becuase the schmuck taking the pull off the front decided to blow a light..

But the thing is....most car drivers expect all cyclists to obey the rules to a "T" 100% of the time. Alternatively, most cyclists expect car drivers to obey the rules to a "T" 100% of the time.

That....will never happen. Humans are funny about that "100% correct behavior all the time" thing. It typically doesnt sit well.

So we do out best.

For example.....If i happen to be spaced out and BSing with two friends and we are three abreast and Im holding you up? Give a short toot on your horn and Ill be happy to snap to it, alert those in front of me "CAR BACK" and we will then drop back into a single file line. Then you can pass and we can all enjoy our day. Or...if Im riding along and youre making a left without your signal on and you bounce out in front of me becuase darnit...you just didnt know I was there because you were tuning your radio or chatting with your passenger? Ill just slow on down and let you go in front of me, or behind me, whichever works best.

And stojan....you DO realize that those "tough" football players you love so much wear spandex knickers, right?

In this area, most cyclists are of the type you say most cyclists hate. There's certain roads I don't take anymore (Beach Drive, for example), because maybe 9 out of 10 cyclists are self-righteous pricks who don't realize "share the road" works both ways. And downtown during morning rush hour can be downright hazardous if you're a pedestrian, for just the behavior that Chef described above (I once fed a cyclist an elbow who ran a red light and nearly wiped me and two other people out in the crosswalk. In front of a traffic cop. Cop cited the cyclist, not me.) Another time, I saw and idiot pass a left-turning car on the left, then run a red light, then swerve into oncoming traffic, in about a 50 yard stretch of road (Beach Drive, of course).

The other one out of ten, though...usually a pleasure to share the road with.

Couldn't say it any better.

So we do out best.

In this area, most cyclists are of the type you say most cyclists hate. There's certain roads I don't take anymore (Beach Drive, for example), because maybe 9 out of 10 cyclists are self-righteous pricks who don't realize "share the road" works both ways. And downtown during morning rush hour can be downright hazardous if you're a pedestrian, for just the behavior that Chef described above (I once fed a cyclist an elbow who ran a red light and nearly wiped me and two other people out in the crosswalk. In front of a traffic cop. Cop cited the cyclist, not me.) Another time, I saw and idiot pass a left-turning car on the left, then run a red light, then swerve into oncoming traffic, in about a 50 yard stretch of road (Beach Drive, of course).

I listen to Tony Kornheiser every day and he was going off on the DC bikers last year, and Lance got in on the squabble.

So we do out best.

My motto is "I have the bigger vehicle, I have the right of way." That's not to say I don't give cyclists a wide berth whenever I can, or that I ignore traffic rules when it comes to them. But when you're in the smaller vehicle, it behooves you to follow the traffic laws to a "T" and to expect danger at every turn.

For example.....If i happen to be spaced out and BSing with two friends and we are three abreast and Im holding you up? Give a short toot on your horn and Ill be happy to snap to it, alert those in front of me "CAR BACK" and we will then drop back into a single file line.

Why should I have to toot my horn to get you idiots going three abreast to move over? You have mirrors right? If so you should be aware of your surroundings. Quite funny you B word about a person in car chatting with a passenger but it's quite alright for you to be BSing with your friends. Hypocrite.

My biggest pet peeve is when bikers ride on the road as if they are cars, but then buzz through red lights, etc., as if the rules didn't apply to them. They can't have it both ways. If you ride your bike on the road, then you need to follow all of the rules.

As long as they slow down, stop as needed to respect pedestrians/cross traffic I'm ok with it. You ever been in rush hour traffic intersection behind a stopped cyclist with no bike lane, 10 cars behind you, ten more in the lane next to you and everybody clamoring to get through the intersection? I'd rather the bicyclist sneak safely through, get up to speed and put some distance between us. And if he's turning off even better.

My motto is "I have the bigger vehicle, I have the right of way." That's not to say I don't give cyclists a wide berth whenever I can, or that I ignore traffic rules when it comes to them. But when you're in the smaller vehicle, it behooves you to follow the traffic laws to a "T" and to expect danger at every turn.

This is the reality of the road, IMO, and the cyclists who refuse to acknowledge this will end up lying in a ditch eventually. I would like to see more roads with bike lanes. Roads around me would only require a couple of feet added to the shoulder and that would reduce traffic tie-ups and concentrate the bicyclists. While that could create new traffic problems, if it helps reduce bicyclists on other roads and as a motorist I know I'll run into them on the bike-lane road I think it would be a better situation.

Bikes have the right to use the roads but in doing so are creating a hazardous situation. As the far slower and vulnerable vehicle it's on them to ride in as safe a manner as possible. I also hate the bike clubs who ride in groups of 15 or more and tie up 50-200 yds of road. They should cluster in small groups (2-4) so cars can safely get around them.

Why should I have to toot my horn to get you idiots going three abreast to move over? You have mirrors right? If so you should be aware of your surroundings. Quite funny you B word about a person in car chatting with a passenger but it's quite alright for you to be BSing with your friends. Hypocrite.

Im not falling for your bull **** this time.

A lot of it is becuase they dont know any better. They buy bikes and hit the road without talking to anyone or doing any kind of training or reading up on how riding in traffic works. Its dangerous.

I had words with a rider you describe once. Was on a charity century ride and he was all over the damned place. Rolled up next to him and told him to learn the rules of riding in traffic or get the !@#$ off the bike. !@#$s like that give all cyclists a bad name and increase the anomosity between car and biker. I dont need that....I have enough of a hard time making sure I dont wind up as a hood ornament.

The only thing that torques me about this conversation is the notion by some that cyclists dont "belong." That not true, nor is that mindset fair.

Im not falling for your bull **** this time.

A lot of it is becuase they dont know any better. They buy bikes and hit the road without talking to anyone or doing any kind of training or reading up on how riding in traffic works. Its dangerous.

I had words with a rider you describe once. Was on a charity century ride and he was all over the damned place. Rolled up next to him and told him to learn the rules of riding in traffic or get the !@#$ off the bike. !@#$s like that give all cyclists a bad name and increase the anomosity between car and biker. I dont need that....I have enough of a hard time making sure I dont wind up as a hood ornament.

The only thing that torques me about this conversation is the notion by some that cyclists dont "belong." That not true, nor is that mindset fair.

Billshit?? You ride three abreast and block the road and expect me to have to toot my horn to get around you?? !@#$ you you arrogant bastard. Why not be a little more aware of your surroundings.

One last addition by me. I rented a Harley Electroglide a few years ago and that sucker was heavy. I was struggling with it in bumper to bumper traffic in Del Mar. I had to take the bike lane to avoid rear ending a car. It was funny the biker nazi's were giving me an earful, it was great just dropping F bombs and flipping them the bird. Share the bike lane with bikers!

Edited by Fan in San Diego

There are a lot of cyclists here in the Triangle, they typically travel in large groups on twisting, turning hilly roads. I've come up on packs of 10 to 20 or more riders around blind curves more times than I can remember.

This incident a few years back caused quite an uproar around here and acutally put the spotlight on the local cycling community and how often the don't obey the rules of the road. Come to think of it, I don't see the large packs of riders quite as often as I used to probably because of this.

Link

I'm certain your heirs will appreciate that after they scrape you and your bike off the pavement.

Yeah, it's completely idiotic. There are plenty of times where I'm walking across streets and I see cars blow through red lights (it's a huge issue out here in Boston). I may have the right of way, but there's no way I'm stepping out into that crosswalk until I know that the car has stopped. I may be in the right, but I'm not winning that collision. The biker sure as hell isn't either.

There are a lot of cyclists here in the Triangle, they typically travel in large groups on twisting, turning hilly roads. I've come up on packs of 10 to 20 or more riders around blind curves more times than I can remember.

This incident a few years back caused quite an uproar around here and acutally put the spotlight on the local cycling community and how often the don't obey the rules of the road. Come to think of it, I don't see the large packs of riders quite as often as I used to probably because of this.

Link

Unfortunately, it takes a tragedy for people to change their behavior. And also unfortunately, many go back to the same behavior until the next tragedy.

Link

My gripe isn't so much with them on the country roads seeing if they do something stupid it's usually them that gets the worst of it not me. No place for them to really ride other than out in the country and those roads typically don't have shoulders so there is not place for them ot ride. My gripe is them in the city and how they don't even come close to following the rules. They rule the roads here and the example of my wife and I almost getting hit in the crosswalk just this weekend by someone who didn't even acknowledge us is a perfect example. And good luck trying to cross the street during Critical Mass. Ok we get it you're better than me on your non-carbon spewing bike. Get over yourself.

As a biker- I am sick of dogs chasing after me. There is one house where the dog comes charging out of the yard and up the road after me all the time. I have called Animal Control and the Police many times. If you can't control your dog you shouldn't be a dog owner