Have I Mentioned Recently How Much I Hate Bicyclists?

Chef Jim

• Replies 627
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

We must have the most bikers per capita in the nation. I think we have 6 high end bike stores in our little town. Anyway, what pisses me off is that the taxpayers build all sorts of bike lanes and the aholes still ride the edge of them or even outside the lines. Usually so they can ride three abreast so they can shoot the shite.

I hit a bicyclist the other day. I was coming up on an intersection with a two-way stop on the cross street (in other words: I didn't have one), he blew through the stop sign without even looking. Since I was only doing 25 and still have decent reflexes, I didn't turn him into street pizza...but he probably wouldn't have been hurt nearly as bad if the dumbass were wearing a helmet. :rolleyes:

I'm having a hard time with the complete lack of guilt I feel...I feel like I SHOULD feel bad, but the truth is the guy got hurt because HE was stupid, and it in no way reflects on me.

Great comments. I particularly like the one that blames the accident on Wall Street's takeover of the bicycling infrastructure... :w00t:

RIP Klein bicycles. My personal favorites- I own 3. Old school Kleins have artisan welding and nothing climbs like a Klein. !@#$ing Trek bought them out, and phased out Klein, and took all Klein's patents.

I almost got killed the other day simply exiting the door of my apartment by a bicyclist blazing down the sidewalk at a million miles per hour. It scared the **** out of me. Those !@#$ers never do anything right around here, half the time they're on the sidewalk (and no I don't move out of the way when they ring their little bells at me, it's a sidewalk), the other half the time they're blowing red lights, weaving between cars, and pulling up to a red light in the bike lane then moving into the center of the traffic lane just to be !@#$s.

Here's a question for bikers... when I'm in my car with the turn signal on about to make a right turn (across the bike lane), what happens if I make my turn and a biker going 20+ MPH smashes in to the side of my car? Am I at fault? It seems to me that the burden has to be on the biker, in most cases it's impossible to see the bike approaching... it's hard enough to deal with all the pedestrians, and who expects to get passed on the right when you're already in the right lane? I've had so many close calls that half the time I'm afraid to make a turn without looking over my shoulder now.

My link

Yup that's the attitude the you typically get from bicyclists in this city.

Here's an idea. Post a cop there and start writing these !@#$s tickets.

Better idea: Put in a big speed bump.

Even better idea: Put a barrel of broomsticks on the corner for pedestrians to jam into the spokes of any a-hole who thinks the laws don't apply to them.

I almost got killed the other day simply exiting the door of my apartment by a bicyclist blazing down the sidewalk at a million miles per hour. It scared the **** out of me. Those !@#$ers never do anything right around here, half the time they're on the sidewalk (and no I don't move out of the way when they ring their little bells at me, it's a sidewalk), the other half the time they're blowing red lights, weaving between cars, and pulling up to a red light in the bike lane then moving into the center of the traffic lane just to be !@#$s.

Here's a question for bikers... when I'm in my car with the turn signal on about to make a right turn (across the bike lane), what happens if I make my turn and a biker going 20+ MPH smashes in to the side of my car? Am I at fault? It seems to me that the burden has to be on the biker, in most cases it's impossible to see the bike approaching... it's hard enough to deal with all the pedestrians, and who expects to get passed on the right when you're already in the right lane? I've had so many close calls that half the time I'm afraid to make a turn without looking over my shoulder now.

I've wondered the rule on that one as well.

And I never told the story of the bicyclist that ran my wife over here in SF. We were walking in between two buses stopped at a bus stop on Market. A biker flies between the bus and the curb and knockers her down and she gets a gash on her knee. I had forgotten all about that until just now. She was a bit at fault for walking in between to buses but what the hell was he doing riding between the buses and the curb!!

Edited by Chef Jim

I am taking a new job 15 miles away so I am excited to be able to bike to work! My current job is 40 miles away and there is no back roads to bike there. Goodbye traffic jams and high gas prices

Here's a question for bikers... when I'm in my car with the turn signal on about to make a right turn (across the bike lane), what happens if I make my turn and a biker going 20+ MPH smashes in to the side of my car? Am I at fault?

Yes. Same if you hit a jogger sprinting 20 mph. Share the road

It's definitely not the same as a jogger. They're going at a reasonable pace whereas these bikers are coming up on me so fast I can't see them. Not to mention, most of the time this happens when I'm trying to make a right on red and the biker is running a red light.

I'm happy to share the road, but the suicidal/homicidal bikers make it dangerous for everyone's lives and bank accounts.

I am taking a new job 15 miles away so I am excited to be able to bike to work! My current job is 40 miles away and there is no back roads to bike there. Goodbye traffic jams and high gas prices

The type of cyclist that interprets "share the road" as "let me do whatever the hell I want" is precisely the type of cyclist that deserves to be hit.

If the bike is supposed to obey all traffic laws same as a car then you're the one who's got it wrong. If the car in front of you clearly has his turn signal on then he has the right of way to execute his turn and as the trailing vehicle you must yield to him.

Just because you have a bike lane doesn't mean the rules of the road don't apply, simply that cars must stay out of that section of road.

Share the road.

If the bike is supposed to obey all traffic laws same as a car then you're the one who's got it wrong. If the car in front of you clearly has his turn signal on then he has the right of way to execute his turn and as the trailing vehicle you must yield to him.

Just because you have a bike lane doesn't mean the rules of the road don't apply, simply that cars must stay out of that section of road.

Share the road.

Conversely, any car making a right and failing to yield to straight-moving traffic to the right of them is making an illegal turn. Go ahead and try it...pick any four lane road, get in the left lane, put your turn signal on, and cut across traffic to make a right turn.

All that really does is show how screwed up bike lanes are - bike has its own lane, cars aren't allowed to encroach, but cars have to encroach to turn, meaning the presence and placement of the bike lane makes for a dangerous situation for the cyclist.

On the Stanford campus, the cyclists don't obey any rules/ They tear through crosswalks without stopping and have for years. I worked there in the mid 90s and a saw a great collision between two cyclists. It was right in the middle of campus where driving was banned. There was a guy about 5'4"-5'6" going slow with the pedestrian flow. Suddenly a 6' or taller guy comes barreling across the flow of pedestrian and slow bicycle traffic and plows into the side of the smaller guys bike. After they both go down, the shorter guy grabs the bicycle pump from the taller guys bike and starts wailing on the bicycle while screaming a tirade of swearing. Everybody stopped and burst into applause.

Conversely, any car making a right and failing to yield to straight-moving traffic to the right of them is making an illegal turn. Go ahead and try it...pick any four lane road, get in the left lane, put your turn signal on, and cut across traffic to make a right turn.

All that really does is show how screwed up bike lanes are - bike has its own lane, cars aren't allowed to encroach, but cars have to encroach to turn, meaning the presence and placement of the bike lane makes for a dangerous situation for the cyclist.

Certainly I agree that the bike lane can present problems, but that doesn't absolve a bicyclist's responsibility of yielding to turning traffic (as Pete blithely seems to believe). A bike lane does not mean a biker can ignore yielding to pedestrians at a red light intersection or a designated cross-walk either.

As for your right turn across 4 lanes example, I fail to see how a reckless op type of illegal turn is really relevant to executing a legal right turn on a road with a bike lane. Certainly the car has a responsibility to yield to a biker occupying the space where the car is trying to go but the biker still has a responsibility to yield to traffic in front of him.

I hit a bicyclist the other day. I was coming up on an intersection with a two-way stop on the cross street (in other words: I didn't have one), he blew through the stop sign without even looking. Since I was only doing 25 and still have decent reflexes, I didn't turn him into street pizza...but he probably wouldn't have been hurt nearly as bad if the dumbass were wearing a helmet. :rolleyes:

I'm having a hard time with the complete lack of guilt I feel...I feel like I SHOULD feel bad, but the truth is the guy got hurt because HE was stupid, and it in no way reflects on me.

Did you at least get to call him an idiot? That's about the only thing that might make me feel guilty, if I were to say that to the guy as he's down on the ground with his skull busted open. Did there wind up being any police report for this one? I'd love to see if they tried to put any blame on you.

I'd really like to find out who has the right of way in this instance. I'm not concerned about turning right on red where the bike must stop. I turn right into my garage and in order to do that I cross over a bike lane. Now I put my turn signal on in plenty of time to let them know but do I yield to them or do they yield to them. I would think I would yield to them but hard to tell. And Pete's share the road really pisses me off. Sharing the road to most bikers is a one way street so to speak.

I'd really like to find out who has the right of way in this instance. I'm not concerned about turning right on red where the bike must stop. I turn right into my garage and in order to do that I cross over a bike lane. Now I put my turn signal on in plenty of time to let them know but do I yield to them or do they yield to them. I would think I would yield to them but hard to tell. And Pete's share the road really pisses me off. Sharing the road to most bikers is a one way street so to speak.

Found this - hope it answers your very good question. Linky

Awesome , I did not know this rule. I have been making a lot of bad right hand turns. I will now proudly be in the bike lane when turning right.

Once again it makes sense but be prepared to have many bikers flying by you and flipping you off for being in "their" lane and not sharing the road.

Once again it makes sense but be prepared to have many bikers flying by you and flipping you off for being in "their" lane and not sharing the road.

I hear you. Might be worth asking the traffic department. Sorry I don't have a better answer. And don't hate all of us cyclists.

That's a good way to get your car beaten on by a militant bicyclist.

You know I think I'm going to follow this rule. When I need to turn right I will turn on my blinker, merge into the bike lane with plenty of space between me and the bike and turn right. If they have to slow down to accomodate my right turn and give me ****......oh it's on baby, it's on. Heading home to the city now. I'll report back later. :devil:

You know I think I'm going to follow this rule. When I need to turn right I will turn on my blinker, merge into the bike lane with plenty of space between me and the bike and turn right. If they have to slow down to accomodate my right turn and give me ****......oh it's on baby, it's on. Heading home to the city now. I'll report back later. :devil:

I'll start doing it too, bring on the hate.

So, did you turn right at every intersection you had to get home?

EDIT: monitor the blotters....you know, just in case we have to raise bail for assualt on a Schwin. It is a very serious crime in SF, to my understanding.

Edited by jboyst62

So, did you turn right at every intersection you had to get home?

EDIT: monitor the blotters....you know, just in case we have to raise bail for assualt on a Schwin. It is a very serious crime in SF, to my understanding.

Yes I did turn right at every intersection. I didn't run over any bikers but it took me 4.5 hours to get home. censored.gif

Yes I did turn right at every intersection. I didn't run over any bikers but it took me 4.5 hours to get home. censored.gif

Well, as your trip regresses to the mean, eventually it will only take you 3.5 hours to get home. :thumbsup:

As a long-time motorcyclist I can attest to the truth of this.

The speed/size ratio of motorcycles is something that most car drivers' brains simply cannot process fast enough to react appropriately. My MC philosophy, which has enabled me to survive 25+ years of motorcycling in California, mostly in L.A., goes well beyond this however. I don't merely assume car drivers don't see me. I drive as if they do see me... and are actively trying to kill me. The second some cager asswipe starts doing anything goofy, I don't stick around to see what kind of festive cluster-!@#$ is going to ensue. I just go immediately to warp drive and put at least a couple of miles between us. (But I also do try my best to minimize lane-splitting, lane-sharing, and other behaviors that enhance the likelihood of a bad situation.)

I just got my first bike today & this has been running through my head all day. Good advice.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a new twist on this thread. I was parked on a busy street the other day. Bicyclist is whizzing down the road just inches off the edge of the parked cars. I almost opened my door and the cyclist would have either hit my opened door or veered out into traffic and maybe hit there. Who is at fault?

I have a new twist on this thread. I was parked on a busy street the other day. Bicyclist is whizzing down the road just inches off the edge of the parked cars. I almost opened my door and the cyclist would have either hit my opened door or veered out into traffic and maybe hit there. Who is at fault?

You for not opening your door so one of those things would happen. :rolleyes:

You for not opening your door so one of those things would happen. :rolleyes:

I always look in my side mirror before opening the door just in case. But what if someone opens the door not expecting the cyclist to be right there and boom! I'm thinking the cyclist is at fault but I wonder what the law says?

I always look in my side mirror before opening the door just in case. But what if someone opens the door not expecting the cyclist to be right there and boom! I'm thinking the cyclist is at fault but I wonder what the law says?

My internet education says you would be for not checking your mirror before opening your door. Granted also, they shouldn't be inches away maybe a foot or two if possible.

• 1 month later...