If Not Mayock Then Who?

HuSeYiN1978

First off I would like to say that I haven't been on any other websites like TBD where Bills fans give their thoughts on the team, players and pretty much everything else in the world. I personally think you guys are the smartest football fans there is to be honest with you. The way some of you guys do your homework and gather information about college players ready to make the leap into the NFL is ridiculous. Ridiculous in a good way that is.

My situation is this. I'm not one to follow college players at all and what I used to do before the scouting combine is I used to put the NFL Network on and on the bottom of the screen it would always scroll "Mayock's top 5 CB's, or Mayock's top 5 QB's" and so on. What I used to do was write down those top 5 guys and start watching their moves in the combine "if they decided to even go" and become a scout myself. Then I would put 3 stars on a player I really liked, 2 stars for someone I liked, and 1 star for someone I wouldn't mind having if we drafted him.

Here's my problem. I know Mayock is a professional and most importantly human. He can make mistakes. But after the way he talked about Blaine Gabbert being the best QB he's ever seen this and he's going to be the greatest that? I lost all respect for his evaluation of players.

Now my question is I still would like to do my little scouting job (for lack of a better word) come time of the combine so, who else can I follow besides Mayock to give me a heads up on who to look for or who has lists of top 5's? Or maybe instead of all the other threads I'm seeing on TBD, if some of you knowledgeable guys would put up a whole list of your top 5 CB's, QB's, TE's, etc.... Thanks.

Edited by HuSeYiN1978

Mayock is ok for what you want to use him for. Mel Kiper is also pretty good. My understanding is that you're really trying to just nail down a list of college players so that you can focus on 4 or 5 in each category. That (In all honesty) shouldn't be too difficult. You also need to understand that picking winners in the NFL draft is not an exact science by any stretch. One can measure physical tangible qualities, and even to some degree intangibles, but no one can predict how a kid will react to his new environment, money, and other as equally qualified team mates. Remember, a lot of these guys especially in the first 3 rounds are the best on their teams in college. They go from being the top dog to the rookie scum suckers in the NFL. They are just another guy in a myriad of guys trying to make the team, and they aren't treated special. (In most cases) That adjustment is difficult for a lot of players, the mentally tough one's seem to be the guys that "get-that" lesson early, and run with it. Gabbert's performance last year is certainly worthy of criticism but the book is not closed on him yet. He could still turn out pretty good with the right coaching staff and players around him.

Tim-

Edited by D521646

I am in the same boat as you. I don't follow college ball too much. The big thing I always keep in mind is that all of these evaluatios are opinions. Some guys put more value on one aspect or another. So I like to read as many mock dradts and player rankings as I can. But I don't give them a lot of credit individually. But when you consistently read the same thing about a player, you start to get a sense of the general feeling on that player. If you just listen to 2 guys argue their opinions (Kiper vs McShay) you don't get the full picture.

But to simply answer your question. The guys I respect most are:

Mayock

Casserly

Gil Brandt

Rick Gosselin

Well, if you're going to judge an evaluator on one player then don't include Gil Brandt, Kiper or McShay either. (of course you are also judging a player on one season)

Mayock:

"Bottom line, he's the first quarterback off the board, and it wouldn't surprise me if Carolina takes him at No. 1," Mayock said on Path to the Draft.

Brandt:

NFL.com draft guru Gil Brandt said of Gabbert's display: "His workout was outstanding -- much better than Cam Newton's at Auburn's pro day on March 8."

Kiper:

Some draft gurus even rate Auburn quarterback Cam Newton ahead of Gabbert. But Kiper is going with Gabbert -- at least for the moment.

McShay:

Todd McShay loves the Jaguars' pick of Blaine Gabbert, who he says has "tremendous football intelligence."

I'm stopping there, not because I've run out of pundits, I've run out of time (I'm bored with this).

First off I would like to say that I haven't been on any other websites like TBD where Bills fans give their thoughts on the team, players and pretty much everything else in the world. I personally think you guys are the smartest football fans there is to be honest with you. The way some of you guys do your homework and gather information about college players ready to make the leap into the NFL is ridiculous. Ridiculous in a good way that is.

My situation is this. I'm not one to follow college players at all and what I used to do before the scouting combine is I used to put the NFL Network on and on the bottom of the screen it would always scroll "Mayock's top 5 CB's, or Mayock's top 5 QB's" and so on. What I used to do was write down those top 5 guys and start watching their moves in the combine "if they decided to even go" and become a scout myself. Then I would put 3 stars on a player I really liked, 2 stars for someone I liked, and 1 star for someone I wouldn't mind having if we drafted him.

Here's my problem. I know Mayock is a professional and most importantly human. He can make mistakes. But after the way he talked about Blaine Gabbert being the best QB he's ever seen this and he's going to be the greatest that? I lost all respect for his evaluation of players.

Now my question is I still would like to do my little scouting job (for lack of a better word) come time of the combine so, who else can I follow besides Mayock to give me a heads up on who to look for or who has lists of top 5's? Or maybe instead of all the other threads I'm seeing on TBD, if some of you knowledgeable guys would put up a whole list of your top 5 CB's, QB's, TE's, etc.... Thanks.

Here...check these sites out. Very good player evaluations..totally unbiased and let's you formulate your own opinion:

Draft Scout

Football's Future

I am in the same boat as you. I don't follow college ball too much. The big thing I always keep in mind is that all of these evaluatios are opinions. Some guys put more value on one aspect or another. So I like to read as many mock dradts and player rankings as I can. But I don't give them a lot of credit individually. But when you consistently read the same thing about a player, you start to get a sense of the general feeling on that player. If you just listen to 2 guys argue their opinions (Kiper vs McShay) you don't get the full picture.

Mayock

Casserly

Gil Brandt

Rick Gosselin

Cool thanks...

Mayock

Casserly

Gil Brandt

Rick Gosselin

Casserly:

NFL Network draft analyst Charley Casserly hasn’t hidden his belief that Auburn QB Cam Newton shouldn’t be a first-round pick. So when it comes to a quarterback class in which every prospect has question marks, it’s Missouri QB Blaine Gabbert who Casserly lists as top-rated at the position.

Gosselin (had Gabbert going #7):

Jim Harbaugh is a quarterback maker — first Josh Johnson at the University of San Diego and then Andrew Luck at Stanford. In his first year as head coach of the 49ers, Harbaugh wants a quarterback he can build a team around.

So HuSeYiN1978...Mayock, Kiper, Brandt, McShay, Casserly and Gosselin all had Gabbert going very high in round 1 and some had him graded as the #1 QB. Now who you gonna listen to?

Casserly:

So HuSeYiN1978...Mayock, Kiper, Brandt, McShay, Casserly and Gosselin all had Gabbert going very high in round 1 and some had him graded as the #1 QB. Now who you gonna listen to?

I guess none of em lol... I kind of really like Charles Davis from the NFL network also. I'm pretty sure Mayock, Casserly and hundreds of others had Gabbert rated the best QB but being that I followed Mayock heavily and trusted his analysis is the reason for me losing respect for his judgment. The guy was so passionate about Gabbert he would have bet his house on him. I guess I will follow Charles Davis.

1329489086[/url]' post='2384706']

My belief is Mayock and Casserly are the best in the Biz. No one is going to be right all the time. No one. Pick the guy you like the most and go from there. Blaine Gabberts career isn't over yet btw. Not that I'm a fan of gabbert. He looked like a deer in headlights out there this hear, but it was his rookie year and his number 1 Wr was like 5'7 and sucks.

I've never been a big Mayock fan but a lot of people on here are mainly bc they are more concerned with his mocks and the fact that he got the Whitner pick right

Mayock was an announcer and didnt become a so called expert until the NFL Network needed someone to be their expert then all of a sudden he is one...I dont doubt he knows football but I dont think he is on Kipers level either

for the most part he repeats what other people say as his own opinion

I am more critical of these guys when they grade a player as cant miss who turns out to be a bust then giving a player a lower grade that turns out to be a pro bowler

Edited by Max997

Go out and buy a Sirius receiver for your home and car (they make one you can use in both) Turn on ch 88:) Sirius NFL! Listen to Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwin. I know, Kirwin has ties to the old Jet teams but, He is a master at breaking down players and Ryan is an X player so he has that inside track on players abilities. Best info there is out there. I pay no attention to the TV hacks at all. Tim and Pat will let you know who is moving up and down according to real numbers and real player stats.

I like Profootballweekly.com for draft analysis. At the top of the website they have different tabs, go to "Draft", then click on "Prospects". You can then look at the prospects, by school, grade, prospect or by name.

If you click on the individual player, they usually have a good writeup for each player. They also have the "buzz" on each player, which is usually what other media outlets are saying about that individual prospect. Finally they include the players "Draft Stock". They have where they THINK the player will be drafted, and also where they SHOULD be drafted.

http://www.profootballweekly.com/prospects/rankings/

I just think Nolan Nawrocki does a fantastic job when it comes to NFL Draft Evaluation. They also put out an NFL Draft Edition Magazine with a lot of analysis, and for the real football junkies an NFL Draft Guide (for around $20), which is basically a thick book with a breakdown of every draft prospect, even the late round guys. It's usually relseased a few weeks after the combine (mid March).

http://www.pfwstore.com/835.html

Go out and buy a Sirius receiver for your home and car (they make one you can use in both) Turn on ch 88:) Sirius NFL! Listen to Tim Ryan and Pat Kirwin. I know, Kirwin has ties to the old Jet teams but, He is a master at breaking down players and Ryan is an X player so he has that inside track on players abilities. Best info there is out there. I pay no attention to the TV hacks at all. Tim and Pat will let you know who is moving up and down according to real numbers and real player stats.

I forgot about Kirwan. I like him too. Very knowledgeable.

I use Miss Cleo. I use to use the weatherman but he's never right. So then I started going against everything the weatherman said and then he started getting it right. :angry:

My point is nobody is 100% accurate. I like Mayock. He doesn't just tell you his opinion on a guy he tells why and goes in depth. His reasons always seem logical to me.

IMHO just go with Mike Mayock, he isn't perfect but I trust what he says over any other player analyst.He used to play in the NFL and relies on what he see's on game tape over any other factor. Several NFL teams have tried to hire him away from the NFL network to head their scouting dept and he turned them down.

The biggest difference between him and actual team scouts is he doesn't dig into the players personnel background as much as a top scout would. Interviewing ex coaches, their friends and teammates and family. You would be surprised to see the depths that some teams go thru when looking into a player background for a first round pick.

The NFL Draft has been my favorite hobby since the early 90's...I've bought and read just about every one of the Top guys Pub's over the years...And...IMHO...Mayock is head over heels above all of them...I have always liked Kiper...He's SUPER smart and studied...People don't give him credit for how thorough he is...Is he wrong sometimes? Sure he is...But projecting this stuff is not exactly easy...If it was Tom Brady would have gone #1 overall...I think McShay is BY FAR the most overrated guy...He seems to go out on a limb more...So maybe that's why he's wrong more often...I should also mention that I LOVED Joel Buchsbaum's Draft reports when he did them for PFW...May he RIP... B-)

The NFL Draft has been my favorite hobby since the early 90's...I've bought and read just about every one of the Top guys Pub's over the years...And...IMHO...Mayock is head over heels above all of them...I have always liked Kiper...He's SUPER smart and studied...People don't give him credit for how thorough he is...Is he wrong sometimes? Sure he is...But projecting this stuff is not exactly easy...If it was Tom Brady would have gone #1 overall...I think McShay is BY FAR the most overrated guy...He seems to go out on a limb more...So maybe that's why he's wrong more often...I should also mention that I LOVED Joel Buchsbaum's Draft reports when he did them for PFW...May he RIP... B-)

You have a point. I still like Mayock I just can't trust his QB analysis anymore. But you're right. The draft is definitely 50 percent scouting skill and 50 percent luck. I really do like this guy Charles Davis's breakdown of players also. He's always at the pro days and the combine and also does commentary. He's young and I believe he will be mentioned in the same sentence as the Kipers and the Mayocks in years to come.

So being that the NFL draft is your hobby, do you have a top 5 prospects list for each position yet? Or are you waiting for the combine to add a few names?

You have a point. I still like Mayock I just can't trust his QB analysis anymore. But you're right. The draft is definitely 50 percent scouting skill and 50 percent luck. I really do like this guy Charles Davis's breakdown of players also. He's always at the pro days and the combine and also does commentary. He's young and I believe he will be mentioned in the same sentence as the Kipers and the Mayocks in years to come.

So being that the NFL draft is your hobby, do you have a top 5 prospects list for each position yet? Or are you waiting for the combine to add a few names?

If your goal is to find a baseline to start investigating and doing your own research mayock is still a great place to jump off.

Thing is - a lot of his opinions, yes even on gabbert aren't wildly incorrect. Sure he so far missed the boat on him but.... If your goal is predicting success at the next level it's near impossible. Without knowing anything about their future coaches, teammates, schemes, etc.... There's a huge degree of unknown when saying "this kid will be a good NFL qb." gabbert gets to sit a year, keep the same system for his first few seasons and he could be great. Cut the starter a week out from the season, lock him out of the facilities all offseason and can his coaches and expectations can change wildly.

To be honest I think Film and the actual Games are the start of evaluation, with the Combine as sort of the start of the Final Grade...You have to get all the official Measurements etc...Then by the time the Private Workouts are Finished you have the final, Final Grades...I definitely have an idea of who is there now...But after the Combine, and more specifically after the PW's, it becomes MUCH clearer... B-)

If I got paid I would. It`s really not that hard.

Don't let one player ruin your perception and Gabbert isn't done yet, he needs a few years before he is a bust or not.

I really do like this guy Charles Davis's breakdown of players also. He's always at the pro days and the combine and also does commentary. He's young and I believe he will be mentioned in the same sentence as the Kipers and the Mayocks in years to come.

Charles Davis is exactly who I was going to mention as somebody who knows his business and puts the time in. Like Mayock, you don't always agree with him, but they're always the kind of disagreements where reasonable people differ; not the kind of desperate for attention, look at me stupidity you see from so many talking heads.

Both Davis and Mayock have been sitting at the top of my respect board for many years now.

• 1 month later...

I guess none of em lol... I kind of really like Charles Davis from the NFL network also. I'm pretty sure Mayock, Casserly and hundreds of others had Gabbert rated the best QB but being that I followed Mayock heavily and trusted his analysis is the reason for me losing respect for his judgment. The guy was so passionate about Gabbert he would have bet his house on him. I guess I will follow Charles Davis.

Mayock also talked up Robert Ayers more than anyone else ever did.

Ayers isn't anything special...

1] The very very best college evaluators are right about players about 50% of the time. It's impossible to know and predict how they will play in the pros. IMO it's foolish to use a few examples of players these guys got wrong.

2] Not only can you not know for sure whether a player is a good NFL player after his first year, a lot of times you don't know after 2-3 years. Some players you need five years to know if they are good pros. Kyle Williams looked like a nice player as a rookie 5th round draft choice but he wasn't a great player for 3-4 years or so. Some guys are great early and then fizzle out. Gabbert may still be good. Look at the two guys we love the Bills just signed. Mario was considered somewhat of a bust after he rookie year. Anderson looked like a stud as a rookie and then after 2-3-4 years looked like a complete bust, and now looks like a stud again.

3] Players with crappy coaching in the NFL are not going to have a lot of success. Worse players with better coaching on better teams look like better players.

4] I like Mayock the best of them all. Gosselin is excellent but people often look at his last mock the day of the draft and he has already found out where a lot of teams are looking. He could never do that, say, now, a month before the draft.

5] Be careful when you google and quote one of these guys because something they say in January maybe completely different by March and different again by draft day. And snippets about players is often misleading unless you look at what else the draftnik says about the player.

I pretty sure I'm getting a little daffy as I get older, but my memory says that Mayock was just the opposite of what you say on Gabbert. Wasn't he pretty high on Cam Newton? He was high on both Ponder and Dalton as later picks. And, for the record, the year before, his take on Tebow's abilities and, more importantly, his flaws, has turned out to be on the money. Best of all, he seemed to think Dareus was the best player in the entire draft last year. Or am I imagining that too.

I pretty sure I'm getting a little daffy as I get older, but my memory says that Mayock was just the opposite of what you say on Gabbert. Wasn't he pretty high on Cam Newton? He was high on both Ponder and Dalton as later picks. And, for the record, the year before, his take on Tebow's abilities and, more importantly, his flaws, has turned out to be on the money. Best of all, he seemed to think Dareus was the best player in the entire draft last year. Or am I imagining that too.

NO. Mayock was actually man crushing about Gabbert but either way he's still not proven yet (Gabbert that is). Gabbert needs a better O-line and better coaching to determine what type of player he is or will be. Mayock is good in my book. I heard somewhere (maybe TBD) that teams have offered Mayock a lot of money to become a scout for them and he turns them down all the time. Don't know how much truth there is to that but I wouldn't be shocked if it were to be true.

Think it would be reasonable to give Gabbert more than one season to be declared a bust??? Carolina's O-line and running game as well as WR's are much better than the cast of characters in Jacksonville.

I like Casserly. He stood his ground and took Mario Williams over Reggie Bush. He got called an idiot just like RW did when he voted against the CBA years ago. Is it just me or does McShay come off sounded arrogant. All the other guys are willing to say they miss all the time on evaluations. Mayeb it is his voice but he just bugs the crap out of me.

Casserly:

Really though, Jim Harbaugh did something that so many others could not, made Alex Smith a winning QB. So who's to say he couldn't do the same with Gabbert. Honestly, Gabbert doesn't have much of anything besides MJD to work with, and really only played one season, so I think the jury is still out there.

I really like www.draftcountdown.com

Seconded. He's been a little unreliable with his updates these past couple of years-- disappears for long stretches and hasn't completed his evaluations in a timely way (or in 2010, at all). But when he's around, he's outstanding.

I like Kirwin, can't stand Ryan. All he wants to do is impress you with his technical jargon. Kirwin is very knowledgeable, and seems fair in his assessments.