Why We're Heading In The Right Direction

HuSeYiN1978

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wonder if Buddy held back some cap in 2010 knowing he could roll it into 2011? Maybe he liked the players that were shaking loose this year? If he did then a very smart move.

PTR

Could very well be the case!! Hopefully we find out this week haha

I'm so happy with this offseason so far that I'm convinced that since Greggggg Williams only did HC time here, we will somehow be ruled to give up all wins this season. I mean, there's gotta be a Bill's screwing in this somewhere. There HAS to be.

Buddy is fostering an atmosphere which is now agreeable to keeping and retaining our quality players. He is old and wise, he's not perfect, but he's doing a better job than his predeccessors the past decade. I'm looking forward to seeing what Doug Whaley will bring. He was probably influential in retaining Stevie. Several more steps to be taken indeed but retaining Stevie is a nice one.

We Are definately heading in the right direction as i could tell from the last couple years, But Stevie was a no brainer in my book as he has been with fitz for awhile and that chemistry helps the team ! We need some more help and hopefully we get another decent Wideout or build that defense up to Balance out our team overall I am pleased with Nixs and the rest of the front office and keep up the good work :):beer:

Edited by NFLBighits

welp, is it another smoke screen from the FO...like the story about paying 10 million to a head coach after they fired dick?

We need to wait a bit to see what actually transpires during the free agency period and draft. Signing Johnson was a good step, now several more to take before real upgrades for this year.

Seriously, last december I posted about not overpaying Stevie. Well done Buddy. Dont know if the numbers for his contract are finalized yet but more up front money with a little over 6.5 a year is dead on for what Stevie is worth. Dont know if we got a hometown discount or what but...GREAT WORK front office....bout f#$@ing time you did something right.

Guess that's a complement.

welp, is it another smoke screen from the FO...like the story about paying 10 million to a head coach after they fired dick?

We need to wait a bit to see what actually transpires during the free agency period and draft. Signing Johnson was a good step, now several more to take before real upgrades for this year.

Until proven othrwise, expect the stories to start of the Bills hot pursuit of big name free agents like Vincent Jackson, Mario Williams, etc with big offers being made

oh - wait - here's one now

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/bills-rumored-to-have-interest-in-vincent-jackson/

although fully intending to sign such talent, other teams pulled of miracles to outbid the bills at the last minute - forcing the team to settle for some practice squad rejects instead

we shall see if they actually ADD any talent -as opposed to continually spinning their wheels on the treadmill to nowhere

I wonder if Buddy held back some cap in 2010 knowing he could roll it into 2011? Maybe he liked the players that were shaking loose this year? If he did then a very smart move.

PTR

smart move by Buddy to avoid adding any LBs, backup C or OTs last year with $20 mil in cap space

the man is a genius in being able to have $30+ mil in cap space unused this year

he can sleep easy without having to worry about who to re=structure or cut to free up cap space like the contending teams are doing this time of year

many thanks to shills like PTR who help promote such successful management policies

Edited by spartacus

I was watching this deal closely before I had an opinion on Buddy. This indeed was a homerun for a few reasons. 1 is we did'nt overpay. 2 is we retained our OWN GOOD PLAYERS!. when was the last time we could say that. It has been a revolving door at 1 Bills drive for years and I truly believe that is why this team can not take the next step. You build from within and don't pay for overpriced free agents. This also sends a message to the mid tier free agents that say come in here for a yr or two yrs and perform and get rewarded with a good long term contract. These players opinion of Buddy is that He's a man of his word...I think that says alot about Buddy and the direction this team seems to be heading.

:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

But at what point do we start trusting Buddy? He has done everything he said he would do. He is building through the draft and signing our own players.

I missing the your point :unsure: ?? When a man does what he says he's gonna do ------- what's not to trust ??

I know it's a totally different concept in today's world but that's the way it use to be , a man says he's going to do this -- he does it --

TRUST --- ??? :beer: My kind of guy :thumbsup: !!! And i might add so far i think he's doin a heck of a job :thumbsup:

ROCK ON BUDDY !!!!!!!! :worthy:

yeah yeah...get us into the freaking playoffs buddy...get us into the freakin playoffs.

I agree with it's the results that matter....but, um....this is what a GM is SUPPOSED to do during the Off-Season, so maybe you could simply be content with doing job #1 on the list?? And for the record, what seems to be forgotten is in his Buddy's first season he had the old regime's scouts and front office personnel with just a couple months to prepare for FA and then the Draft; and they kept many of the players from the previous roster, ala Trent Edwards, because in his words he didn't want to let players go and watch them produce on another team b/c he said he's seen the NFL littered with previous BILLS players starting on other rosters. Then in his second season there was a work stoppage and a subsequent change in FA rules precluding him from being too aggressive......furthermore, do we forget just how far this team was from a contender?? The complete dearth of talent on this roster at the time he took over?? Why go pay a guy $10 mil per year at one position when there are so many other needs, he'd be two years into his contract at this point and we're just starting to come out of the proverbial "re-building" mode and NOW is the time to get those good to great players to put us over the edge and make us relevant in the playoff discussion.....I'm NOT saying Nix is done or that he's solidified his place in BILLS lore, but he has done a very good job given the circumstances he's faced from Day 1....so, maybe relax and little and realize we all knew this was going to be a long road to hoe as the previous decade was filled with Romper Room and Three Stooges antics.....

I for one would have preferred Nix to apply the Tag to SJ, just for maturity issues, but this deal is fair for both sides so I can't really be too critical...now he needs to get a difference maker on Defense and a complimentary WR....then the Draft, this time next year (the 3 year berth given to demonstrate a GM's worth) we'll know more about Nix and his ability to assemble a contender....However, let's also see that Nix doesn't play and he doesn't coach, he can only give the coaches the talent, which....it seems he's doing

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2012/03/05/bills-rumored-to-have-interest-in-vincent-jackson/

we shall see if they actually ADD any talent -as opposed to continually spinning their wheels on the treadmill to nowhere

I just bolded that because it made me laugh :)

and it sounds like G.M. Buddy Nix is ready and willing to spend.

We will see. But regarding VJ, I have to wonder if he is a good investment with Fitz at QB.

I love Fitz as a person and a leader, but a deep threat arm he does not possess.

Russ Brandon was GM and Tom Modrak was Director of College Scouting when Wood, Byrd, and Levitre were drafted. Dareus was a no brainer even the Bills could not screw up. I give you Willias because if he can stay healthy he looks like he can play. Sheppard would be a reserve on a good NFL team. And, I'd rather have Marshawn Lynch and a 1st round pick than CJ Spiller.

Huh?

What is your basis for complaining about the play of this 3rd round rookie after one season at ILB?

Or if you aren't saying Sheppard is underperforming, are you arguing we need 1st and 2nd rounders at every spot on the field? Because you do know each team typically only gets one each of those per season. :rolleyes:

Edited by BobChalmers

Guess that's a complement.

It's the best I can muster right now. I'm not ready to annoint him the next coming of Christ until after FA period and the draft. I am trying not to be too jaded but the 12 yr wound is gonna take some time to close up.

although fully intending to sign such talent, other teams pulled of miracles to outbid the bills at the last minute - forcing the team to settle for some practice squad rejects instead

smart move by Buddy to avoid adding any LBs, backup C or OTs last year with $20 mil in cap space

the man is a genius in being able to have $30+ mil in cap space unused this year

he can sleep easy without having to worry about who to re=structure or cut to free up cap space like the contending teams are doing this time of year

many thanks to shills like PTR who help promote such successful management policies

Well said.

Wow! we are a bipolar group aren't we?

I'm glad we signed Stevie, but this is what we should have done all along. If you see a gang member walking down the street and he passes by the liquor store without robbing it, you don't thank him. You're glad that what should have happen did, and move on.

I'll congratulate Nix when we sign an FA like Mario Williams or VJ, guys that normally don't find their way to the Bills roster.

Again I'm happy we signed Stevie, even mildly surprised, but I'll hold off waving my Nix banner for when he actually does something extraordinary. I hope that I can wave it soon!

I'm glad we signed Stevie, but this is what we should have done all along. If you see a gang member walking down the street and he passes by the liquor store without robbing it, you don't thank him. You're glad that what should have happen did, and move on.

I'll congratulate Nix when we sign an FA like Mario Williams or VJ, guys that normally don't find their way to the Bills roster.

Again I'm happy we signed Stevie, even mildly surprised, but I'll hold off waving my Nix banner for when he actually does something extraordinary. I hope that I can wave it soon!

Come on, your gangster/liquor store analogy is not applicable. Why not give some credit?

Also, we need to understand that a Bills GM has an uphill battle LURING a FA to Buffalo. Sure there's cash but what else do you market? Failure to land a guy should not automatically cast blame on the GM. Actually landing a marquee FA in Buffalo takes a combination of several factors including the right market conditions, player personality, roster makeup, etc. Cash offering is just one factor, as is the GM "trying".

Umm, exactly!

This particular regime has only been spinning its tires for 2 years. I think you're projecting 12 years worth of no playoffs onto Buddy Nix.

And they added Barnett and Morrison last year. Maybe you didn't like them, but they were FA signings. And Barnett was a damn good one. We had a back-up C in Urbik. And they added Hairston in the draft. Exactly how many offensive linemen do you expect the Bills to carry on their roster?

This particular regime has only been spinning its tires for 2 years. I think you're projecting 12 years worth of no playoffs onto Buddy Nix.

And they added Barnett and Morrison last year. Maybe you didn't like them, but they were FA signings. And Barnett was a damn good one. We had a back-up C in Urbik. And they added Hairston in the draft. Exactly how many offensive linemen do you expect the Bills to carry on their roster?

5 of NFL starting caliber would be a start

If Urbik was such a stud backup C- why did they first move Levitre there for the Dolphins game - a horror show I got to witness in person.

So, what you're saying is that if you were a Redskins fan you would have been waving your Snyder banner when they overpaid for Albert Haynesworth? Or continually trading 1st round picks for NFL players? Or spending to the Cap each year and getting, um...nowhere?? I'm not ready to crown Nix a Polian-esque genius, but I do think he deserves credit for making copper out of excrement...read my earlier post, that's my opinion, no need for redundancy...but I don't think the BILLS going nuts in FA prior to this year when there was so much disarray on this team when he got here doesn't make sense either....realize you're not really complaining but you also didn't exactly provide a ringing endorsement as to what is transpiring at OBD; figured I'd make the attempt to balance out the slight tweak of synicism with a bit of realistic optimism as well...

If Urbik was such a stud backup C- why did they first move Levitre there for the Dolphins game - a horror show I got to witness in person.

Dude, that was like a lightning fast decision loop. I mean it took 32 games to figure out George Edwards was incompetent. B-)

Dude, that was like a lightning fast decision loop. I mean it took 32 games to figure out George Edwards was incompetent. B-)

not sure if that loop is actually closed as Edwards is still on the payroll,as the savior Wanstash was last year

I agree with it's the results that matter....but, um....this is what a GM is SUPPOSED to do during the Off-Season, so maybe you could simply be content with doing job #1 on the list?? And for the record, what seems to be forgotten is in his Buddy's first season he had the old regime's scouts and front office personnel with just a couple months to prepare for FA and then the Draft; and they kept many of the players from the previous roster, ala Trent Edwards, because in his words he didn't want to let players go and watch them produce on another team b/c he said he's seen the NFL littered with previous BILLS players starting on other rosters. Then in his second season there was a work stoppage and a subsequent change in FA rules precluding him from being too aggressive......furthermore, do we forget just how far this team was from a contender?? The complete dearth of talent on this roster at the time he took over?? Why go pay a guy $10 mil per year at one position when there are so many other needs, he'd be two years into his contract at this point and we're just starting to come out of the proverbial "re-building" mode and NOW is the time to get those good to great players to put us over the edge and make us relevant in the playoff discussion.....I'm NOT saying Nix is done or that he's solidified his place in BILLS lore, but he has done a very good job given the circumstances he's faced from Day 1....so, maybe relax and little and realize we all knew this was going to be a long road to hoe as the previous decade was filled with Romper Room and Three Stooges antics.....

I for one would have preferred Nix to apply the Tag to SJ, just for maturity issues, but this deal is fair for both sides so I can't really be too critical...now he needs to get a difference maker on Defense and a complimentary WR....then the Draft, this time next year (the 3 year berth given to demonstrate a GM's worth) we'll know more about Nix and his ability to assemble a contender....However, let's also see that Nix doesn't play and he doesn't coach, he can only give the coaches the talent, which....it seems he's doing

Great post.

Good perspective, good temperament.

I too give Nix a pass for 2009 as he was hired less than 3 months before his first draft and inherited the holdover personnel department.

That department has been completely made over with Buddy's guys.

Also like you, I don't continually harp on the mistakes of prior regimes.

Please post more often and try not letting the chronic complainers (many of whom are in attendance in this thread) bring you down.

It's not easy.

Edited by San Jose Bills Fan

Great post.

I too give Nix a pass for 2009 as he was hired less than 3 months before his first draft and inherited the holdover personnel department.

Please post more often and try not letting the chronic complainers (many of whom are in attendance in this thread) bring you down.

It's not easy.

The chronic complainers will have you believe Nix was responsible for that 2009 draft, when he was hired merely as a scout, and as you said, just 3 months prior to the draft. But that's what the ignore list is for. ;)

Great post.

It's not easy.

Thank you and will do....

And for the record to the persistent complainers, I too am frustrated by what I've seen over the last 10 years but I also know you can't continually strike the same chord and expect to hear a different sound....Ralph or Brandon realized a true football GM was necessary, as the rest of us already knew that, and they hired one....yes he was/is older, but isn't that exactly what you want when you're trying to make the wide sweeping changes necessary? Someone who has years of experience and has had that experience on a team/organization whom many on this board prior to his arrival have heralded as one who has done well? With Merriman, VJax, Brees, Rivers, Castillo, LT, etc added to a team that turned into a perennial playoff contender (albeit in the AFC West) I believed from Day One I just needed to hit my re-set button and take a deep breath and realize we're FINALLY moving in the right direction and be patient....I know it's hard, I honestly do...I've had the thought of jumping off the bandwagon a few times over the last six years in particular (not the last two) but....it's the BILLS....unless they move, my heart and fan-dom is loyal to the Red, White, and Blue Buffalo....hard to swallow sometimes, but true nonetheless. So, while I'm sympathetic, let's remember all we could have asked for two years ago was progress, and we've made that...Now, it's time to take the next step which I HOPE is the playoffs, but at a minimum it should be a winning record and as one previous poster said, relevancy in the final weeks of the season - and not about how this team "fell off" at some point but rather how other teams fear to come to Buffalo to play for their playoff lives....

NFN, but before some of you guys canonize Buddy Nix I suggest you wait until free agency and the draft is over to see what he really gets done. All he did so far is re sign the only decent WR on the team.

The big wind out of OBD last off season was RT Tyson Clabo who didn't get signed by the Bills. Then Nix, even when he knew he needed more help for that line at tackle didn't bring in anyone else to bolster that line. In fact he cut his own throat by cutting the only guy with decent experience at center in Geoff Hangartner. Then he traded away a viable #2 WR, but more importantly never replaced him with a less expensive version.

Yea, I'm happy the Bills signed Stevie Johnson! But I'm going to temper that with the understanding that so far this GM hasn't built the team properly in either of his first two years. Talk is cheap at this point, how many years does it take to draft a pass rusher...build the line...draft for positions that actually need help badly...stop the run.

So far, the main core of the starters on this team were all drafted or brought in under Dick Jauron. STILL waiting to see that proverbial baby!

You mean the offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL didn't have 5 starting caliber linemen?

...Please post more often and try not letting the chronic complainers (many of whom are in attendance in this thread) bring you down.

Yeah! Just look at the Bills' record over the past 12 instead! That will do the trick.

:devil:

You mean the offensive line that allowed the fewest sacks in the NFL didn't have 5 starting caliber linemen?

they have 2 in Levitre and Wood - when healthy - which is not often

Bell is marginal at best and is on the field even less often

The ineptness of this OL as a unit is masked by the Bills running a pop gun offense all geared to Fitz getting the ball out in 2 seconds

They can't run with authority when it matters in short yardage and they can't pass block for a downfield passing game

The OL has progressed to the point where there are not jailbreaks on every play, but there is an awful low bar - but typical of the shortsighted homer where everything is wonderful at OBD

As sad as it is to admit... I agree with this attitude more and more each day. I have almost no optimism for this team at this point. With that said, I might get a titch of it back if:

They re-sign Stevie. If they let him walk, for any reason, this franchise is going no where. Period.

They re-sign a few of the other key players currently on the bubble.

They extend Freddie.

Do that, and they show they're able to recognize talent currently on the team and they want to keep it and build around it finally.

Go after a quality WR and pass rushing DE or LB in free agency.

Do that, and they show they recognize what our biggest offensive and defensive needs are.

Have a solid draft. That's all I can hope for here. Until we see who they re-sign and pick up as FAs, I can't see hoping for any particular player(s).

Do that, and they're continuing to build a solid foundation.

Get Fitz into a core strength and training program and working with someone on his foot work. His greatest problem is down field accuracy. At least attempt to correct that and we just may notice an improvement in his game.

Do all that prior to or concurrent with the OTAs and I'll consider it a good offseason, and entertain the possibility that this team is heading in the right direction. Don't do each of those things, and its the final proof that they truly are just spinning their wheels. So until I see what happens with Stevie, imo, the first domino that will fall, I have little to no feeling one way or the other about the future direction of this team.

I must say... this FO is definitely showing some signs of competence. About a month ago, this thread was started, and I laid out what I saw as the keys to a good off season. Also, for me personally, what it would take to enter the 2012 season with some measure of optimism.

For me, signing Stevie was a big part of it; he was first domino that would fall, if you will. With his re-signing and now Chandler's, I think I'll say item 1 is checked off my list. The FO is indeed recognizing their own talent and not letting it walk. I know we have a few more players to re-sign; but at this point, I think the FO has shown that they're certainly willing to do what it takes. We can't forget that the players have a voice as well, and for that reason, not all players re-sign with their current teams.

Next step is free agency. It'll be interesting to see what happens there.

Also, in this post, I was ready to say BillsVet was right about the future of the team and the FO. My question, is now, BV and other "Ralph is Cheap" posters, are you ready to say that this FO.. may.. be on the right track? I say, may, not is. I admit, we still have a good distance to go before we see the baby. Note: I'm not attempting to call anyone out. I genuinely want to know if maybe some of these moves are beginning to change your mind a little as well.

This has been a good off season, thus far. Let's all hope it continues. Go Bills!

Being a fan is about rooting for your team unconditionally, so why is it so hard to believe in the optimism?? That's the beauty of sport, everyone starts 0-0

The problem is: The Bills do not start 0-0. They start 0-4. They average more than 4 losses just in their own division in the last 10 years. If you sat through Billy Joe Hobert and Rob Johnson, you'd understand. I admire your optimism, but the Bills have killed mine.

Prove it and I'm right there with you. And tht whole unconditional thing is what got a whole bunch of people wealthy beyond belief. I'm chosing my own wealth.

The problem is: The Bills do not start 0-0. They start 0-4. They average more than 4 losses just in their own division in the last 10 years. If you sat through Billy Joe Hobert and Rob Johnson, you'd understand. I admire your optimism, but the Bills have killed mine.

Prove it and I'm right there with you. And tht whole unconditional thing is what got a whole bunch of people wealthy beyond belief. I'm chosing my own wealth.

Dude, someone needs to give you a hug or something. You should change your screen name to Eeyore.

The last few years I have been extremely pessimistic (even negative) in the off season. The last decade of futiliry has really been difficult. But I feel really good about where the Bills are right now. I think we are in a better position now than at any point since Marv was our coach. I think the FO has made a lot of solid moves in the last couple years (especially recently). Sure they have made some screw ups, but who doesn't? I cannot help but feel excited for the upcoming FA period and the draft and am really looking forward to camp and the start of the season. I swear to got I will pee my pants if we can somehow sign Mario Williams or Wimbley. We desperately need a stud pass rusher. GO BILLS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I think this might be the year we get back into the playoffs.