When patience is preached

BillsVet

Someone each year now from OBD tells Bills fans to be patient, that it takes 3-4 years to rebuild, or some variation thereof. Compare and contrast this sentiment with the Atlanta Falcons and their actions in 2007-08, especially those of their owner.

During 2007, their QB was sent to prison, the HC resigned late in the regular season, and owner Arthur Blank was turned down when he sought out Bill Parcells to become head football man. Blank turned to Thomas Dimitoff from the NE Personnel tree, who in turn hired HC Mike Smith and drafted Matt Ryan third overall in the 2008 draft. The result was a team that went to the post-season in 2008, last year and again this season. Atlanta is 43-21 since the 2007 season, all while playing in a difficult NFCS.

I say all this to illustrate that when an owner hires and subsequently supports a solid GM it shows a team can rebound rather quickly in today's NFL. And regardless of what happens today, teams like Atlanta are lapping the Bills and achieving success without having to tell fans to wait.

Lastly, it should be noted that Atlanta, per Forbes' team values from 2010, isn't worth as much as one might think. They're a mere 2 spots above Buffalo in overall worth and finished with about 13M less in operating income. Meanwhile, the Bills keep banking on hype and hope to attract fans, because there's no commitment in the off-season and certainly not enough wins to show progress.

EDIT: Tomorrow is reportedly the Bills "State of the Team" Speech from Buddy Nix. Somehow I get the feeling they'll talk about being patient or a similar point.

Edited by BillsVet

Its only been 2 years for us so don't jump the gun too fast. I understand what you are saying though because we've been rebuilding forever but its been coaches and GMs every 2-3 years which make it impossible to get better. On top of all this is they have good QB and their coach knows what sticking to the run means. Hopefully Wanny can get this D going and Chan realizes Fitz's shortcomings and this team can finally become a contender. ( 0:) 0:) 0:) )

I'm very patient, the new ownership will be here soon.. :thumbsup:

:thumbsup:

Doesn't really matter to debate players, coaches, even front office staff in Buffalo until ownership changes. It's just funny to see fans predict things like Wannstedt becoming the new DC, SJ leaving in UFA to set them up to draft a replacement. They've played their cards and with other historic losing franchises winning, it's harder to cover up their losing.

Someone each year now from OBD tells Bills fans to be patient, that it takes 3-4 years to rebuild, or some variation thereof. Compare and contrast this sentiment with the Atlanta Falcons and their actions in 2007-08, especially those of their owner.

During 2007, their QB was sent to prison, the HC resigned late in the regular season, and owner Arthur Blank was turned down when he sought out Bill Parcells to become head football man. Blank turned to Thomas Dimitoff from the NE Personnel tree, who in turn hired HC Mike Smith and drafted Matt Ryan third overall in the 2008 draft. The result was a team that went to the post-season in 2008, last year and again this season. Atlanta is 43-21 since the 2007 season, all while playing in a difficult NFCS.

I say all this to illustrate that when an owner hires and subsequently supports a solid GM it shows a team can rebound rather quickly in today's NFL. And regardless of what happens today, teams like Atlanta are lapping the Bills and achieving success without having to tell fans to wait.

Lastly, it should be noted that Atlanta, per Forbes' team values from 2010, isn't worth as much as one might think. They're a mere 2 spots above Buffalo in overall worth and finished with about 13M less in operating income. Meanwhile, the Bills keep banking on hype and hope to attract fans, because there's no commitment in the off-season and certainly not enough wins to show progress.

EDIT: Tomorrow is reportedly the Bills "State of the Team" Speech from Buddy Nix. Somehow I get the feeling they'll talk about being patient or a similar point.

overall--i think the team was better in '10 than '11.We were much more competitive.We didn't get blown out as much. And the early season losses--and some of the other losses--were by very close margins. I am not sure how well that bodes for a rebuilding process.Throw in the fact that Fitz regressed and that Williams and Woods health are now big issues.

I think its fair to say you can have a quick turn around in the NFL. It happens all the dam time. BUT its not always the case. sometimes it could take 3+ years. I am willing to give Gailey another year simply because of the turd sandwich he inherited was going to take time to turn around.

Excellent post. it shows what a committed owner can do. Who knew when Vick went down and spent some quality time in the Big house, that Atlanta would bounce back so well.Win or lose today they are there. In the playoffs. No smoke and mirrors, a solid franchise on the up swing. They did not settle on trying to make a career backup a starter. They drafted one.

Us Bills fans will go over statistical analysis and pound our chests that the interior o-line had a better year than last (well maybe, I truly don't give a krap). That really makes some feel better. Who wouldn't want to be a fly on the wall, if some Bills analyst, spouted some stats to Ralph at the recent Detroit summit. Claiming statistical improvements. Yea, that will put asses in the seats in 2012. I'm reasonably confident the room would be dead quiet, trying to sell that load of numbers too Ralph. Certainly if I was Ralph my response would be. Why is the stadium with my name on it empty again this January? I could care less if we put up more points in 2011. Because obviously we gave up even more points. 6-10 baby and that sucks no matter how you spin it. Patience get real. Quit taking us for fools Ralph.

Down on their luck and picking #3 they go and pick a franchise qb, franchise middle lb in the same draft and they sign some nice def lineman in ray edwards and john abraham. They had quite a few other moves but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Edited by aristocrat

Down on their luck and picking #3 they go and pick a franchise qb, franchise middle lb in the same draft and they sign some nice def lineman in ray edwards and john abraham. They had quite a few other moves but these are the ones I remember off the top of my head.

Getting Ryan 3rd overall (the Dols should have taken him) and signing Michael Turner as an UFA (the Bills tried to trade for him the year before) during Smith's first season were huge. They already had White and Jenkins at WR. As for Lofton, he's decent at MLB, and Abraham was with them since 2006 and Edwards joined them this year.

I find it ironic that you posted this TODAY after the Falcons just got embarrassed again, and Atlanta was mentioned as the worst sports city in America in an ESPN column.

The object of this game is to win a championship, and regardless of wins, the Falcons don't have the fortitude to win games when it counts- you could see it in their defense in the third quarter and fourth quarter.

The Falcons was a bad example to use... they still have won nothing and seem to have reached their maximum potential with the team they have.

Getting Ryan 3rd overall (the Dols should have taken him) and signing Michael Turner as an UFA (the Bills tried to trade for him the year before) during Smith's first season were huge. They already had White and Jenkins at WR. As for Lofton, he's decent at MLB, and Abraham was with them since 2006 and Edwards joined them this year.

Didn't think Abraham had been with him that long...dude put up 9.5 sacks this year and lofton is a very good mlb. The falcons have done a very good job at building their team to be good for a long time.

Didn't think Abraham had been with him that long...dude put up 9.5 sacks this year and lofton is a very good mlb. The falcons have done a very good job at building their team to be good for a long time.

A lot of that has to do with finding their franchise QB in Ryan. Although it seems he can't win in the playoffs (at least not yet).

A lot of that has to do with finding their franchise QB in Ryan. Although it seems he can't win in the playoffs (at least not yet).

That giants defense is no joke...the line got the push on every play i saw and the falcons couldn't run the ball for their lives.

I'm thrilled the Falcons lost today:

1 - A couple years ago the Bills had a trade in place for Tony Gonzalez. He vetoed it because he wanted to go to a "contender"

2 - It was incredibly arrogant of the Falcon's GM to trade 5 draft picks to get Julio Jones. This signified they believed they were "1 pick away" from the championship.

3 - I'm sick of hearing how great the Falcons and "Matty Ice" are, when they've done nothing. Who do they think they are, the Jets?

They've been competitive but I don't know if they will make it over this hump. Smith is an awful coach.

I've never seen a team get bounces/calls like they did last last year. It was unreal. The Clements fumble, roddy tackling the defender to score a go ahead td.

They have a 9-10 win roster and not a lot of ways to get better without changing coaches which I don't see happening

Edited by NoSaint

I think its fair to say you can have a quick turn around in the NFL. It happens all the dam time. BUT its not always the case. sometimes it could take 3+ years. I am willing to give Gailey another year simply because of the turd sandwich he inherited was going to take time to turn around.

What will signify a turn around for you? How much progress do you need to see?

Atlanta Falcons = A Festivus miracle........ :wallbash:

Matty "Ice" is vasly overrated, he's nothing without that monster running game. Two playoffs games and when he has to drop back to pass he can't make things happen.

I can't remember the last time I watched such an awful display of tackling, that was horrendous.

Happy Festivus everyone.

I find it ironic that you posted this TODAY after the Falcons just got embarrassed again, and Atlanta was mentioned as the worst sports city in America in an ESPN column.

The object of this game is to win a championship, and regardless of wins, the Falcons don't have the fortitude to win games when it counts- you could see it in their defense in the third quarter and fourth quarter.

The Falcons was a bad example to use... they still have won nothing and seem to have reached their maximum potential with the team they have.

I see you didn't read the post, as I mentioned that regardless of what happened, the Falcons organization is a better one and it didn't take long for that to be manifested in 2008.

At this point, I'd take a post-season team that loses than one which keeps telling us a winning team is right around the corner. Instead, we're watching Detroit and Houston get into the playoffs while Buffalo continues on the treadmill of mediocrity.

Falcons have brought themselves up to be good, but not feared. Winning seasons but no real success. They're like the cowboys or bears or something. Always good, but never good enough. That being said, at this stage of the game I'd kill to have the Bills be good, but not good enough. It'll give me something new to complain about for the next 12 years.

I see you didn't read the post, as I mentioned that regardless of what happened, the Falcons organization is a better one and it didn't take long for that to be manifested in 2008.

At this point, I'd take a post-season team that loses than one which keeps telling us a winning team is right around the corner. Instead, we're watching Detroit and Houston get into the playoffs while Buffalo continues on the treadmill of mediocrity.

That franchise was in a shambles and they did fix things quickly. Very admirable job.

Sure, but they are 0-3 or 0-4 in the playoffs since. When are they going to take the next step?

Sure, but they are 0-3 or 0-4 in the playoffs since. When are they going to take the next step?

When you draft a player like Joe Flacco / Matt Ryan who didn't win games almost by sheer will in college like Joe Montana. The QB needs time to develop properly in the NFL, and unfortunately not every QB is a Big Ben type who takes his team to the playoffs and wins almost immediately.

Most QB's take 3-4 years to develop and Matt Ryan was drafted in 2008, same as Flacco. So he has been in the league 4 years now. His contemporary on the other side of the field in Eli Manning was drafted in 04,and the NY Giants won the SB in 2007. So the 4 years theory works out about right for Eli. Some QB's take a bit longer. I'm thinking that fits both Flacco and Ryan. Both are being developed as well as they can be developed on predominantly strong running teams with good defenses. So time will tell if either will ever develop into that ":elite" franchise SB winning QB. Some QB's develop but then never win the big game, Dan Marino- Jim Kelly

Not to mention, not only is Eli Manning more developed then Matt Ryan currently is, that the Giants defense, run game, receiver corps are better then what Atlanta currently has. That Giant defense played great, and in typical fashion they showed what can happen to a good team when one team gets a decent lead.

Not all QB's develop at the same pace in the NFL, so many variables. I look at Luck vs RG3, I'm thinking RG3 will be a winner before Luck will be.

Atlanta Falcons = A Festivus miracle........ :wallbash:

Matty "Ice" is vasly overrated, he's nothing without that monster running game. Two playoffs games and when he has to drop back to pass he can't make things happen.

I can't remember the last time I watched such an awful display of tackling, that was horrendous.

Happy Festivus everyone.

Ummm… Festivus is December 23rd I believe.

Not sure though as our family never celebrated that holiday.

The Falcons have done a nice job, no question.

It must be vexing to them and their fans to have made the Julio Jones trade and to have had a worse season than last year. Seems that they are farther behind New Orleans and Green Bay than ever and now San Francisco seems to have surpassed them.

The NFC is so tough these days… the AFC not so much… and most of the AFC powerhouses are aging.

The AFC is gonna be wide open for the next few years. Houston has fought their way into a position of becoming an heir apparent.

Who else will?

When you draft a player like Joe Flacco / Matt Ryan who didn't win games almost by sheer will in college like Joe Montana. The QB needs time to develop properly in the NFL, and unfortunately not every QB is a Big Ben type who takes his team to the playoffs and wins almost immediately.

Most QB's take 3-4 years to develop and Matt Ryan was drafted in 2008, same as Flacco. So he has been in the league 4 years now. His contemporary on the other side of the field in Eli Manning was drafted in 04,and the NY Giants won the SB in 2007. So the 4 years theory works out about right for Eli. Some QB's take a bit longer. I'm thinking that fits both Flacco and Ryan. Both are being developed as well as they can be developed on predominantly strong running teams with good defenses. So time will tell if either will ever develop into that ":elite" franchise SB winning QB. Some QB's develop but then never win the big game, Dan Marino- Jim Kelly

Not to mention, not only is Eli Manning more developed then Matt Ryan currently is, that the Giants defense, run game, receiver corps are better then what Atlanta currently has. That Giant defense played great, and in typical fashion they showed what can happen to a good team when one team gets a decent lead.

Not all QB's develop at the same pace in the NFL, so many variables. I look at Luck vs RG3, I'm thinking RG3 will be a winner before Luck will be.

All good points, but I think the Falcons had a subpar season all around this year. They did not look like the same team as last year. Perhaps the offseason had a huge negative effect on them?

well.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3939490-blame-mularkey-all-you-wantmatt-ryan-is-average/

theres the falcons equivalent to twobillsdrive.

theyre not any happier with their team than we are with ours.

this quote sums up their outlook:

"Let's be realistic. Whether you like it or not, Matt Ryan isn't going anywhere.

So Mike Mularkey has to go. "

i mean, christ. we've had what? 4 gms in the last 7 years? soon to be 5 if whaley takes over.

people say ralph is cheap, or nothing is going to change, or this, or that.

to me, it looks like a man who has come to terms with his own mortality, and is trying desperately to win a superbowl before he dies.

i would argue with need the exact OPPOSITE approach: let nix and gailey run the show for the next 5,6,7 years.

well.

http://boards.atlantafalcons.com/topic/3939490-blame-mularkey-all-you-wantmatt-ryan-is-average/

theres the falcons equivalent to twobillsdrive.

theyre not any happier with their team than we are with ours.

this quote sums up their outlook:

"Let's be realistic. Whether you like it or not, Matt Ryan isn't going anywhere.

So Mike Mularkey has to go. "

i mean, christ. we've had what? 4 gms in the last 7 years? soon to be 5 if whaley takes over.

people say ralph is cheap, or nothing is going to change, or this, or that.

to me, it looks like a man who has come to terms with his own mortality, and is trying desperately to win a superbowl before he dies.

i would argue with need the exact OPPOSITE approach: let nix and gailey run the show for the next 5,6,7 years.

Love it, fanatics will never be happy.

The key is that they had a chance to pick the Franchise QB in Matt Ryan and go after Turner in the FA market. The rest was good drafting and FA. Kudos to them for building both the teams On and Off the field.

They also signed Michael Turner to a FA contract.

The key is that they had a chance to pick the Franchise QB in Matt Ryan and go after Turner in the FA market. The rest was good drafting and FA. Kudos to them for building both the teams On and Off the field.

Is Matt Ryan a franchise QB?

I would gladly trade our last 2 seasons for Atlanta's last 2.

If you make it to the playoffs and lose in the first round, at least you made it, and had a lot of fun during the regular season, and won some big games in December. That would be fun for a change.

But really when I hear the "patience" argument, I think instead of the San Fransisco 49ers. They were really bad last year and then they got a new coach and with a lot of the same players and a "bust" at QB, they've gotten to 2nd seed in one year.

The GM got to Atlanta and immediately spotted the weak areas of the team and quickly moved to upgrade them...all in one year!! Another team that got it done right away with few mistakes.

It really doesn't take 3-4 years to build a good team anymore, it just takes the smarts to draft correctly, and money to get the players needed in free agency.

2007 4-12, hired new GM, who hired a new HC, who hired a new staff to 11-5 in 2008,then 9-7, 13-3, 10-6 . BTW, that 11-5 Falcon team got it done with Lawyer Milloy and Coy Wire on defense.

Wanna hear something crazy, the OC of the 2007, 4-12 Falcons was Hue Jackson (current HC of the Raiders), the DC was Mike Zimmer (current DC of the Bengals). The HC was Bobby Petrino who quit on them after 13 games.

The GM got to Atlanta and immediately spotted the weak areas of the team and quickly moved to upgrade them...all in one year!! Another team that got it done right away with few mistakes.

It really doesn't take 3-4 years to build a good team anymore, it just takes the smarts to draft correctly, and money to get the players needed in free agency.

2007 4-12, hired new GM, who hired a new HC, who hired a new staff to 11-5 in 2008,then 9-7, 13-3, 10-6 . BTW, that 11-5 Falcon team got it done with Lawyer Milloy and Coy Wire on defense.

Wanna hear something crazy, the OC of the 2007, 4-12 Falcons was Hue Jackson (current HC of the Raiders), the DC was Mike Zimmer (current DC of the Bengals). The HC was Bobby Petrino who quit on them after 13 games.

Isn't it amazing how many of those former Falcons coaches have gone on to have success in the NFL? Jerry Sullivan might not think so though. Only Ralph lets coaches leave or dismisses them.

Atlanta Falcons = Buffalo Sabres

Too many nice boys, not enough real men.

^THIS^ and Ryan and Flacco are not really all that great (and I am not totally sure they will ever be) but Alt did rebuild in a quick, I will give you that.

I still put most the blame on the length our rebuild on DJ for giving us that awful Tampa Bay D. That was a bigger set back then drafting Losman (who I think because of cost in draft picks and total developmental time was a bigger set back then Trent, who at least partially cost DJ his job).

^THIS^ and Ryan and Flacco are not really all that great (and I am not totally sure they will ever be) but Alt did rebuild in a quick, I will give you that.

I still put most the blame on the length our rebuild on DJ for giving us that awful Tampa Bay D. That was a bigger set back then drafting Losman (who I think because of cost in draft picks and total developmental time was a bigger set back then Trent, who at least partially cost DJ his job).

BS.

This team could have much more easily switched to an attacking 4-3. Instead they switched to a 3-4 without the necessary personnel. I get tired of saying this, but I have to bring it out every 6 months or so. Someone with a huge EGO once took over the Dallas Cowboys. This huge EGO loves the 3-4. But, said EGO looked at his personnel and understood that he couldn't switch in year one. He stayed a 4-3 team but drafted year 1 with the move in mind. At the start of EGO's second season his team was still primarily a 4-3 but EGO mixed in the 3-4. Towards the middle of the second season they were primarily a 3-4 team. EGO knew enough to make the change gradually otherwise his team would suffer.

Bill Parcells put his EGO aside and did what was best for his team because he KNEW what switching to the 3-4 immediately would do.

There are 2 things that contribute most (IMO) to the Bills continued rise to near lower mediocrity, a bad 2010 draft (including the pick of Spiller in rd. 1) and the switch to the 3-4 (which has never really been fully realized).