Stevie Johnson

Warren Zevon

It absolutely was foreseeable that a dumb celebration penalty would lead to a 15-yard-penalty, which in turn would lead to a decision to squib the ensuing kickoff.

It was probably not foreseeable that Rayner would hit the up man square in the nuts with the ball, but you can still argue that the 15-yard penalty introduced more chance for error on the kickoff.

I'm still going with proximate cause.

I agree mostly. I just can't say with confidence that the squib kick was forseeable by either Stevie Johnson or the "reasonable person."

Rule Against Perpetuities never showed its ugly face on that hot summer day on the North Carolina exam in July of 2002 (at least not obviously). Now...the term "contingent remainder" somewhat rings a bell, but really...who the !@#$ knows.

Edited by Juror#8

• Replies 490
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quote from Stevie on buffalobills.com

In the wake of what proved to be a costly penalty Sunday in a loss to the Jets, Bills WR Stevie Johnson said he won’t be doing anymore touchdown celebrations.

“Probably not,” said Johnson when asked if he’d celebrate anymore.

When asked if Sunday was his last TD celebration Johnson said, “Yeah.”

NOOOOOOOOO! It wasn't the celebration man...it was just you falling to the ground....

Don't quite think he dominated, averaging about 5 yards a target. Not that great. He did better then alot do against Revis, but dominate? No.

He averaged close to 10 yards per catch...his catches were all with first down catches or they set up 3 and 1,2 or 3's ... what are you talking about?

Edited by EldaBillsFan

I heard Stevie's WGR interview and that "over the top" "in your face" celebration was all about the Bills being openly mocked by the Jets in their first game. He said the Jets thought they were "soft," he even mentioned their head coach and the other Jet players.

Here's my thread on the topic...

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/138119-jets-were-openly-mocking-the-bills/page__p__2303932#entry2303932

I'm not all that upset at him for doing this, it's just that the crazy stuff needs to start being a thing of the past. Make your game winning TD catch be your answer to the "lowbrow" Jets. I really hope he doesn't stop the TD celebrations though. Just keep it within the rules.

I heard Stevie's WGR interview and that "over the top" "in your face" celebration was all about the Bills being openly mocked by the Jets in their first game. He said the Jets thought they were "soft," he even mentioned their head coach and the other Jet players.

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/138119-jets-were-openly-mocking-the-bills/page__p__2303932#entry2303932

I'm not all that upset at him for doing this, it's just that the crazy stuff needs to start being a thing of the past. Make your game winning TD catch be your answer to the "lowbrow" Jets. I really hope he doesn't stop the TD celebrations though. Just keep it within the rules.

How about you mock them after you win the game first? I'm upset what Stevie did because it handicapped our ability to win this game. A crucial game at that.

i really dont care as long as its not flagged. he knew what hed get going to the ground. this wasnt a spur of the moment thing. it was fully planned, aware it would cost 15 yards. that is the problem i have with it.

if you MUST get back at them, and you LOVE the celebration, and your going to take the time to plan it in advance..... find a way to do it legal at the very least.

I'm happy he did it!.....jets sh*tted on us...I heard bart scott through the tv laughing at us.....holmes laughing and rex smirking..... sometimes you do what u think is need to strike back......

Name another WR in the last two years... that has dominated revis like stevie johnson did yesterday and honestly he finished what he started from the last game..... stevie when healthy is a top 10 wr that demand double teams.....

Hell .... even with the dropped pass...he beat revis to get wide open with a double move...and then he beat a double team to get wide open again but the ball was thrown behind him......

Say what you want..... that's skill,talent and natural ability...all the stuff y'all trippin about comes with time

When he needs to make the payday catches he doesn't. Pitt last year and just now against NY. Not that Buffalo was a lock for the playoffs but that knocked them out. Johnson needs to do less dancing and catch the damn ball. He drops the ball and turns around as if the blame someone? But there aren't mirrors on the field.

This game will cost him many dollars in contract. Sign him before the season is over, though. No one will pay him top 10 dollars. Sign Fred. same argument (no one will pay him top 5 RB dollars). Could result in some holdouts for sure.

Again, you brought Rice into the discussion, not me.

Rice dropped some but was the best ever. He gets a pass for the occasional miscue. He earned it. Stevie has accomplished little in comparison, has come up small at big moments and has shown himself to be an imbecile.

On top of that he put his team in a hole with sheer stupidity.

Yeah, your understanding of football and logic is a thing to behold.

Well my football logic tells me that Stevie has been a starting WR in the league for not even 2 full seasons yet and Rice played for 20 seasons, so not only that logic, but plain old common sense let's me realize that not only Stevie, but ANY WR in the league will have accomplished little in comparison to Rice after only 2 seasons as a WR. And I brought up Rice again to show you that even he struggled w drops at two different points in his career. That is not comparing the two in the world I live in, but stating facts that many WRs, even the best can have drops. If I had said that I think after 2 years Stevie is as good as Rice was after 2 years....then that would be comparing them, which I clearly did not. You may want to rethink what you say before you make yourself look even sillier after only 10 posts. My God, it's like talking to a trees around here at times. TBD should have their own Wonderlic test that people need to take before they can start posting. I would be glad to take one.

Edited by Rayzer32

Quote from Stevie on buffalobills.com

In the wake of what proved to be a costly penalty Sunday in a loss to the Jets, Bills WR Stevie Johnson said he won’t be doing anymore touchdown celebrations.

“Probably not,” said Johnson when asked if he’d celebrate anymore.

When asked if Sunday was his last TD celebration Johnson said, “Yeah.”

Did he say anything about if would be his last game winning TD pass drop? I'm more concerned about that.

There are about 50 stories about Stevie's idiotic plays yesterday. He should be benched. He cost the team the game.

One Jet said that Stevie's drop of that perfect pass by Fitz was "karma." I agree.

Just listened to Stevie's Monday interview. The Gospel According to Stevie is that wasn't a perfect pass. It was "the WR and QB not being on the same page". Yep, the pass inside the 20 that Stevie put his hands out for, that hit him right in the hands.

Really, Stevie? C'mon man. I'll give you the two in the end zone. Those would have been spectacular "only the great ones make that" play. But right in the hands? C'mon Stevie, the good ones make that.

And if you make that but don't score...the other throws might have been better (shorter, higher percentage)

The dance was stupid, yes. But let's have a little context before we egg his house and demand a trade:

What if Rayner didn't shank his squib kick? :thumbdown:

What if we never squibbed it in the first place?

Or if...

•  
  • Nelson hadn't dropped that catch?
  • SJ hadn't dropped that catch?
  • Fitz had thrown the second to last ball one foot in front of SJ instead of one foot behind him?
  • Smith was able to jump one inch higher on the last throw?
  • Fitz hadn't wasted 10 seconds running just a couple of yards with only a minute to go in the 4th?
  • We were able to put a modicum of pressure on Sanchez...just on that last drive?
  • We were able to sack him just once on that last drive?
  • Someone didn't blow his assignment...twice...on those Maybin sacks?
  • Someone didn't blow his assignment on that big Keller catch?
  • We never gave the ball to Choice twice on third down and instead called plays that actually worked?
  • Our line had just half as many penalties as it did?

Any one of these things could have led us to winning that game and would have had a more direct correlation to winning than SJ's penalty did on losing.

The dance was stupid, yes. But let's have a little context before we egg his house and demand a trade:

Or if...

•  
  • Fitz had thrown the second to last ball one foot in front of SJ instead of one foot behind him?
  • Fitz hadn't wasted 10 seconds running just a couple of yards with only a minute to go in the 4th?
  • We were able to put a modicum of pressure on Sanchez...just on that last drive?
  • We never gave the ball to Choice twice on third down and instead called plays that actually worked?

Any one of these things could have led us to winning that game and would have had a more direct correlation to winning than SJ's penalty did on losing.

Jesus thank you!

/thread

Just listened to Stevie's Monday interview. The Gospel According to Stevie is that wasn't a perfect pass. It was "the WR and QB not being on the same page". Yep, the pass inside the 20 that Stevie put his hands out for, that hit him right in the hands.

Really, Stevie? C'mon man. I'll give you the two in the end zone. Those would have been spectacular "only the great ones make that" play. But right in the hands? C'mon Stevie, the good ones make that.

And if you make that but don't score...the other throws might have been better (shorter, higher percentage)

+1

Or if...

•  

I think the vast majority of Bills fans are more upset about the drop than the penalty.

I would hope so, but the penalty is getting all the jibber jabber, both here and nationally. This thread wouldn't exist if he hadn't done his little dance.

The thing annoys me the most is Pears put us in some far worse situations with his holds and the personal foul. Yet I don't believe I've seen a thread started to discuss that.

Come on man, even Steve Johnson said his penalty caused the Jets to get the ball in good field position and score a TD.

He was just doing what the coaches told him to do.

Or if...

•  

Nice try, but most of the things you list could maybe have helped us win the game (maybe). There is only one play in the entire game you can point to with certainty and say if it went different we would have won the game and I think you know which one it is.

Agree 100% and I do think Stevie is having fun but it got away from him. I would never put him in the TO "look at me" mood. But you can't hurt your team with penalties and if you're gonna dance, you gotta make the clutch catches.

But Stevie is still a very good receiver and was lighting up the best corner in the league. People need to step back and realize this. I punch a wall and swore like crazy but that was it. It's sad that some "fans" want to act the character of a person they have never met by hurling a bunch of insults at him. Hopefully, Stevie grows from this but a lot of fans have some growing up to do too.

Revis gives up 75 yards and his first TD of the SEASON and he is "lit up". WOW. All you proved is how good Revis really is.

Come on man, even Steve Johnson said his penalty caused the Jets to get the ball in good field position and score a TD.

He was just doing what the coaches told him to do.

Nice try, but most of the things you list could maybe have helped us win the game (maybe). There is only one play in the entire game you can point to with certainty and say if it went different we would have won the game and I think you know which one it is.

Really, SJ doing a dance caused Rayner to mess his kick up? Logic circuits a little mixed here. And further, when you are penalized that many yards, which of course was SJ's fault, I don't think you should squib it to begin with.

And...while I agree that if SJ had caught that pass, as I stated above, it could have lead to a win, it's also not a given that he would have run it in at all. The second one was way behind him. Sorry, I disagree with your logic here completely. Almost everybody did things that led to a loss here, SJ included.

Edited by JustinAtlanta

I'm happy he did it!.....jets sh*tted on us...I heard bart scott through the tv laughing at us.....holmes laughing and rex smirking..... sometimes you do what u think is need to strike back......

Name another WR in the last two years... that has dominated revis like stevie johnson did yesterday and honestly he finished what he started from the last game..... stevie when healthy is a top 10 wr that demand double teams.....

Hell .... even with the dropped pass...he beat revis to get wide open with a double move...and then he beat a double team to get wide open again but the ball was thrown behind him......

Say what you want..... that's skill,talent and natural ability...all the stuff y'all trippin about comes with time

Stevie had a good game going the best Cornerback in the league.

How much time does it to learn sportsmanship, humility, common sense, and team play? In Stevies case the answer is more than 25 years.

I believe he will learn. He made Revis look like McKelvin yesterday, IMO.

Had he cuaght the one over the middle OR the one in the EZ then I would agree with you. But he didn't. You don't get points or wins for yards vs Revis. You do that by catching the football when it hits you in the hands.

I believe if he fell to the ground on the Bills' sideline, that is acceptable; falling to the ground in the endzone is a 15 yard penalty. Isn't that the rule?

He definitely fell to the ground in the EZ. You can watch the highlights on NFL.com.

Here's what I don't understand about these guys that do this. It's not just Steve Johnson, but all of 'em. Why don't the toss the ball to the ref and then step over the sideline and do whatever it is they have to do. Why do they have to do it in the EZ where there is the possibility of a penalty?

Actually I wish they would just do as David Nelson did this week. hand the ball to the ref. No big deal. I've been here before and I'm going to come back soon. That's what Tony Dorsett used to do too.

Anyone hear Stevie's interview on BB.com? I'm a huge Johnson fan, but it definitely concerned me. For one, it confirmed what I thought yesterday when he dropped the post over the middle... he blames Fitzy for it! As soon as he dropped it, I saw him motion back to Fitzy as if to say "what are you doing?" I thought I must have misread his movements, because it so clearly was a drop.

But, in his interview, he states that "that wasn't a drop, it was a QB and receiver not being on the same page." He then goes on to say that he wished he had "superhuman instincts" so that he could have caught the ball the second he turned around for it." He then states that based on his route and that he split the safety's, he would have expected a ball with more air under it.

My problems with his comment were that, watching the replay, he had turned around and saw it coming. Maybe he expected a slower ball, but he was facing the football with enough time to react. Also, there was another safety, Leonard, playing over the top. While Leonard was very late, a slower ball would have allowed him to possibly break up the pass or at least hit Johnson upon the completion. Fitzy's ball, perfectly thrown, split the coverage and would have allowed Johnson to catch it in stride and possibly take it into the end zone.

Lastly, he came across in his interview as the same kind of guy that would take a 15 yard penalty at the expense of his team; as a me-first player that when pressed, will give lip service as to how he made a mistake, but really is wondering why people are hating on his swag. I like Johnson, and really want us to invest in him. I just wish he showed, in year 4 of his career, a little more maturity.

I'm not really a message board guy, but I was getting really worked up by the ridiculous criticisms of Stevie's celebration. He's sometimes over-the-top, but who cares what they do when they score? Costas made me really angry last night, so I was happy to read this blog in my Bills spool on Spoolios.

http://blogging.spoolios.com/spoolblog/blog/JeffHart/125/

I just think it's so ridiculous how overdramatic these media clowns get about the dumbest things.

I Tivo'd all of the ESPN football/chat shows today to gauge the reaction to SJ-gate. First of all this thing was not the lead story, Tebow was. Then Suh. When they finally got to SJ they all basically said "poor judgement but funny." So I predict this will be forgotten by Sunday.

PTR

I Tivo'd all of the ESPN football/chat shows today to gauge the reaction to SJ-gate. First of all this thing was not the lead story, Tebow was. Then Suh. When they finally got to SJ they all basically said "poor judgement but funny." So I predict this will be forgotten by Sunday.

PTR

I live in Florida, so I got a different perspective on radio, I think. That's why I was so glad to finally read a different take about how much worse Costas came across than Stevie. WRs have been showboating for years. It's stupid to take offense to it.

PTR

Agreed. Bills fans blowing things way out of proportion. Moving on.

If the internet had been around in 1989 I imagine the same people defending SJ would have defended Ronnie Harmon.

Clutch players, regardless of what happened before (i.e. the defense giving up a score), make plays when it counts.

TWICE in his short career SJ has proven he cannot make clutch plays when it counts.

I realize there is an emotional component to supporting SJ, because he's loud and brash and makes watching Bills football fun after a decade of mostly horrific teams, but hitching your wagons to a guy who shrinks in winning time will not reverse those trends.

Well my football logic tells me that Stevie has been a starting WR in the league for not even 2 full seasons yet and Rice played for 20 seasons, so not only that logic, but plain old common sense let's me realize that not only Stevie, but ANY WR in the league will have accomplished little in comparison to Rice after only 2 seasons as a WR. And I brought up Rice again to show you that even he struggled w drops at two different points in his career. That is not comparing the two in the world I live in, but stating facts that many WRs, even the best can have drops. If I had said that I think after 2 years Stevie is as good as Rice was after 2 years....then that would be comparing them, which I clearly did not. You may want to rethink what you say before you make yourself look even sillier after only 10 posts. My God, it's like talking to a trees around here at times. TBD should have their own Wonderlic test that people need to take before they can start posting. I would be glad to take one.

If you had used T.O. in your original statement, you would have made a point. By bringing up Rice instead, you lowered your Wonderlic score.

Act like you have been there before, son.

Marv Levy

Paul Brown

Costas was over the line with his editorial. As someone else pointed out, his alma mater was the biggest story of the day and he chose to bemoan the decline of sportsmanship instead of the horrors of child molestation.

I didn't think there was anything in Stevie's celebration that we haven't seen before by countless look-at-me wide receivers. What I had a problem with was not the celebration but the fact that he added a component that he KNEW would draw 15 yards BECAUSE HE HAD BEEN FLAGGED FOR IT BEFORE (with the Minuteman salute in New England last year). Giving the #1 return team in the league an extra fifteen is just flat out stupid and selfish no matter how you slice it.

Same thing with the drop. Guys drop balls, okay? It was unfortunate and probably karmic that he dropped this one yesterday, but what made it much worse was the fact that he threw his quarterback under the bus afterward instead of owning it. Yeah, maybe he expected a later ball with more air under it, but so what? You keep that to yourself and you own your failure. Fitz took the high road after that. Stevie could learn from him.

PTR

Then again, it was the lead story in the "C'mon Man" segment on Countdown tonight.

I was listening to ESPN today after the Stevie J celebration that basically helped in a large way to cost us another very important game in our Bills season .

Stevie does need to concentrate more on playing his position & making catches (of which he dropped at least one very important catch that could have easily been a TD) & less on celebrating after the fact of said TD .

But Marell Hodge said he would cut him ??? I think thats a bit harsh but if i was his coach i would put forth some type of rule that if you cause a penalty to the club because of stupidity you get a fine or at least sit him down for some plays or something to let him know that you won't tolerate that type of action !!

Plus if he is expecting #1 money i would bring up the drops in contract talks until he becomes as dependable as Andre when the games on the line .

I for one hope that he gets some kind of fine from the Commish maybe that will make him think twice but cut him ??? Come On !!!

Edited by T master