Is Tebow turning the NFL upside down?

Big Turk

It has always been said that a college option offense "would never work in the NFL" to the point that nobody dared even try and implement it. Now that Tebow is running it and has won 3 out of his 4 starts, what do people around the NFL think now? Is this going to open up a new can of worms and make teams look at the potential benefits of a mainly running offense again? Lower turnovers, possession of the football, and wearing the opposing defense down throughout the game as you grind out yards...

Not saying that I agree with this type of football on an NFL level, but I bet this has some GMs shocked at the results so far and stunned that they have been able to win playing football this way. Or do they think its just a matter of time before teams figure out how to stop it and force them to pass.

Just thought it would be interesting to see what others thought...could this cause some teams to take a look at returning to a football era gone by? I would imagine this would suit teams that have good defenses that can keep the game low scoring, although Denver has shown the ability to rack up points with this offense as they hung 38 on the Raiders a few weeks ago...

Its not going to work if you have 0 threat of a passing game, as the Broncos do now. Line up 1 or 2 corners on a WR and put 9 in the box. Then see how well the running 55 times a game works.

Also, the broncos haven't really beaten anyone of consequence. The chiefs and dolphins aren't good, and the raiders, like the Bills, have shown flashes of good play but have been inconsistent. The only time the broncos played a legit team (detroit), they got blown out.

The Jets are going to suffocate Tebow. The Chiefs stink, as Buffalo showed, so completing two passes against the Jets ain't going to cut it. If Newton were as talentless as Tebow he never would have made it past opening day. Why does Tebow get cut so much slack?

I guess you haven't ordered your #15 Jesus jersey yet?

PTR

just like the wildcat's success didnt last long neither with this

I agree. The only reason it works is because people haven't really prepared for it. The Wildcat is simply a little changeup right now, and the option will be the same.

That said, every team should have as much stuff in their playbook as possible so the other team must prepare for it.

Denver ran the ball 55 times against Kansas City and won.

Houston ran the ball 44 times against Tampa Bay and won.

Both Tampa Bay and Kansas City have fairly bad run defenses, but I think it shows a commitment to the run despite it being a "passing league" gives you a good shot at winning a football game by controlling the clock and punishing your opponent.

It will be an interesting game to watch. The Jets have a middle of the pack rushing defense.

It's an interesting combination of elements thats for sure- you have a big, mobile QB who has the guts and gumption to take the rock and go. He open up the running game in a sense because he fakes the run pretty well. Also, I do think that Tebow can be tutored into a servicable, maybe even highly competent passer in this league.

This season, to me, is about trying to compete and win game using Tebow strengths, and not asking him to do to much passing until someone is really able to work with him. He'll likely never be a Brady, Manning, Rodgers, when he does set his feet and has tight throwing motion, he throws a decent ball. I think he continue to look more posied in te pocket from game to game.... the first game he looked like he had never played QB before....

But is he going to change the game? No- this is a passing league, and the rules habe been tweeked to encurage that, IMO. I see Tebow as a less good passing, more moral, better running version of Big Ben- and that aint a bad thing.

I still think Elway squiges his pants over Luck

Denver ran the ball 55 times against Kansas City and won.

Houston ran the ball 44 times against Tampa Bay and won.

Both Tampa Bay and Kansas City have fairly bad run defenses, but I think it shows a commitment to the run despite it being a "passing league" gives you a good shot at winning a football game by controlling the clock and punishing your opponent.

It will be an interesting game to watch. The Jets have a middle of the pack rushing defense.

yep- and it hinges ALOT on zero turnovers, limited penalties and few mistakes.

I hope Tebow runs over and through Darrelle Revis and breaks his shoulder. Tebow has the size and enough speed 4.7ish, to run by most defense lineman, and has enough power to run through any linebacker or safeties arm tackle. This offense will be effective so long that Tebow doesn't get hurt, and Tebow can make the most of his limited down field throws. The Broncos are a physical team now and will try to punch the Jets in the mouth. Tebow thrives in the physical matchups, since the Jets defense is built on pressure and blitzing the Broncos contrasting style will make it hard for guys like Aaron Maybin and Calvin Pace from hitting Tebow. Expect Tebow to be hitting those guys and that's why this makes for such an interesting matchup.

I like the Broncos to "upset" the Jets 13-10.

The newest thing, take a Tebow jersey and get it custom plated with "Jesus" on the back:

http://www.inquisitr.com/159772/tim-tebow-custom-jesus-jersey/

I root for the guy and hope he has a long, successful NFL career. I'm also a Christian. Putting Jesus on the back of his jersey though seems a little much to me. There is so much weight placed upon this young man's shoulders because of what he stands for and believes in, but just like any other human being he will falter. Seems like another avenue they will bust his chops for if you ask me.

Who did the Broncos beat? How did they do against a REAL defense like Detroit?

PTR

Well, in all fairness, I believe that was before they put in a bunch of option plays for Tebow...I am pretty sure I remember reading that game is what basically made the coaching staff realize that he could not operate a conventional offense and if he was going to be their guy, they would have to design an offense around him...

It has always been said that a college option offense "would never work in the NFL" to the point that nobody dared even try and implement it. Now that Tebow is running it and has won 3 out of his 4 starts, what do people around the NFL think now? Is this going to open up a new can of worms and make teams look at the potential benefits of a mainly running offense again? Lower turnovers, possession of the football, and wearing the opposing defense down throughout the game as you grind out yards...

Not saying that I agree with this type of football on an NFL level, but I bet this has some GMs shocked at the results so far and stunned that they have been able to win playing football this way. Or do they think its just a matter of time before teams figure out how to stop it and force them to pass.

Just thought it would be interesting to see what others thought...could this cause some teams to take a look at returning to a football era gone by? I would imagine this would suit teams that have good defenses that can keep the game low scoring, although Denver has shown the ability to rack up points with this offense as they hung 38 on the Raiders a few weeks ago...

well.... if you think that 4 games has turned 50 years upside down, im guessing your (and frankly my own) history with the league doesnt date back as far as many around here.

my humble opinion - the league moves in cycles. offenses got faster, spread the field out, forced teams into pass defense (nickle D is used more than base on most clubs). whats the next logical step for someone "ahead of the game?" You get big, and you run down their throats. teams invest more resources into nickle and dime corners, and with limited resources it means they cant spend on their third or fourth linebacker. you exploit that.

tebow is not going to "change the game" unless he learns to be accurate really fast, but a team like carolina with Cam, and two good running backs, could make for an interesting dynamic if they really wanted to push the option running, with a downfield threat to throw. as someone referenced with mike vick in atlanta - except bigger, stronger, and perhaps a better arm.

Edited by NoSaint

well.... if you think that 4 games has turned 50 years upside down, im guessing your (and frankly my own) history with the league doesnt date back as far as many around here.

my humble opinion - the league moves in cycles. offenses got faster, spread the field out, forced teams into pass defense (nickle D is used more than base on most clubs). whats the next logical step for someone "ahead of the game?" You get big, and you run down their throats. teams invest more resources into nickle and dime corners, and with limited resources it means they cant spend on their third or fourth linebacker. you exploit that.

tebow is not going to "change the game" unless he learns to be accurate really fast, but a team like carolina with Cam, and two good running backs, could make for an interesting dynamic if they really wanted to push the option running, with a downfield threat to throw.

I realize that 4 games isn't going to change things but I also realize that change has to start somewhere and from someone doing something different that works. Other teams copy it, then you have a bunch of teams doing the same thing. Look at the Run-N-Shoot offenses that popped up in the early 90s with Houston and Detroit, and to a lesser extent a few other teams...those had to start somewhere..what makes it crazy is those weren't so different from what the Bills and Patriots do now with the spread...1 back, 4 WRs, throw the ball and run when you spread them out enough...

Now, how things will end up is yet to be determined. I don't think they will ultimately be good enough to keep doing this and be effective with him throwing 8 passes, but you never know. If the Broncos end up making the playoffs in a very weak AFC West, where they are 2-2 in the division and have a fighting chance along with every other team to win that division, I'll be willing to bet there would at least be a team or two that would think long and hard about going that route in the offseason...

there is no reason that the NFL shouldnt be changed up a bit. why shouldnt it work???-with tebow the guy is a proven winner on the college level...and guess what??..he is making some of the old guard a bit nervous at this point. we shall see.

The Broncos aren't running the 'option' its just some zone read plays out of the spread (when Tebow does run it) but primarily a power running game. FWIW our offense is the college spread, just without the zone read bc our QB isnt a runner. Turn on any Big 12 team or Nevada, among others, and its essentially the same O the Bills run. The Packers and Pats run the same routes for the most part. Its a very simple idea that has worked for years. Spead the field horizontally, get guys into windows, etc.

Tebow is executing the running part of the O just no the passing part.

I have a feeling he may be able to have another week or so before opposing defenses figure him out. Rexxy might wind up shutting him down tonight, and finally expose their weakness (like he did shutting down the Bills' screen passes and pressing receivers).

All I can say is their receivers must feel like they're playing in the 1916 GA Tech vs Cumberland game...

I think the Jets know what's coming.

I don't think they will be able to stop it, regardless.

I find Denver's strategy brilliant in a roundabout way. Defenses have been molded with lighter, quicker players, fancy cornerbacks and blitz schemes to defend against the pass, not against a punishing ground attack where a slew of RBs, FBs and your linebacker-esque QB is going to hammer away at you for four quarters with run play after run play.

So if Denver's defense can prevent NYJ from getting out to a big lead, they are probably going to get run over.

Very short week. Bad loss. No LT. Staring down a division of Bronco running tanks. I like Denver in this game.

The best avatar ever. The Jests can't game plan for Tebow like they can for Fitz. I want to see Rex eat his hat

Have not watched any of the Tebow show yet this year, so I'm excited to see what this is all about. From my understanding though they run a college option type offense which the NFL defenses aren't used to seeing, which has caused success. As the with the wildcat we all know there is now some tape out there and as good as Rex is with Defense I think the gimmick is over.

Hopefully not though, it is time for a Teboner.

They say:  tebow better hope the Denver defense continues to hold the opposition to under 20 points. He's a gamer for sure. In retrospect, I hoped the bills would draft him with their 1st rd pick 2 years ago. I'm glad they didn't. I'm not sure another coach would alter his entire offense to get this guy on the field. The job Fox is doing with this team is amazing. I wonder how bad tebow is going make George Edwards look in a few weeks.

Edited by NewEra