Gone have to start taking shots down field

Passes complete over 20 yards have been dropping more and more since the start of the season, 3 step drop get the ball out quick has been very effective for us, however teams are starting to press and blitz more....Thank goodness for the little dump off passes to Fred that have picked up huge yards at times. However, we gonna have to at the least start scarying teams with the deep ball.

Edited by EldaBillsFan

Passes complete over 20 yeards have been dropping more and more since the start of the season, 3 step drop get the ball out quick has been very effective for us, however teams are starting to press and blitz more....Thank goodness for the little dump off pass Fred that have picked up huge yards at time. However, we gonna have to at the least start scarying teams with the deep ball.

Shart??? :unsure:

Passes complete over 20 yeards have been dropping more and more since the start of the season, 3 step drop get the ball out quick has been very effective for us, however teams are starting to press and blitz more....Thank goodness for the little dump off pass Fred that have picked up huge yards at time. However, we gonna have to at the least start scarying teams with the deep ball.

Question: Is there football on your planet?

Sharting and dumping....too much toilet humor for one thread.

I was assuming last week had a lot to do with the matchup against the "dream team" CB's, and the opportunities up the middle the Eagles extensive use of the "Wide 9" defense was creating.

Against the Giants' mediocre (or worse) secondary I expect we'll see more passes downfield.

Edited by BobChalmers

I was assuming last week had a lot to do with the matchup against the "dream team" CB's, and the opportunities up the middle the Eagles extensive use of the "Wide 9" defense was creating.

Against the Giants' mediocre (or worse) secondary I expect we'll see more passes downfield.

I worried after the 1/2 for 14yards late last week too. You'd think even with corners playing well you could push more or even push inside the hashes some.

Others observed in the Cinci game that Fitz was sporting some bandaging of his ring finger on his throwing hand. I noticed it again in the Eagles game. I wonder if there is some injury that is hampering his longer throws. IIRC, there were no deep throws in the Philly game, even when the Eagles secondary was clogging up the short- medium- routes.

I agree, last week's short run/pass game cannot carry us throughout the season. But I hardly think that is our intention. Our receivers are banged up and it was our game-plan for short passes last week against a weak run D and stout secondary. I seem to recall the Bills shredding NE and KC on the deep pass. We will start shredding secondaries once again, but maybe not next week.

On another note, the grammar police just issued an APB out for a TBD netizen who goes by the name "EldaBillsFan"... :devil:

Several factors led to the fact the Bills only threw the ball more than ten yards downfield twice in the entire game. The major reason was, that was the gameplan. The Philly CBs are studs, and the Philly DL charges hard. They also wanted to keep Vick off the field as much as possible, so they wanted to run, and they wanted to throw quick short passes to negate the pass rush and keep the clock moving.

They didn't have to throw the ball downfield because they were winning the entire game, and for the most part, they could move the ball. Especially after Jones went down, and the lone deep threat was out. I sincerely doubt that even if he was still in they would have thrown the ball more than 10 yards downfield.

Right now, it's not an issue because they haven't needed to do it. Teams are already creeping up and have been, but they only have so many guys to cover, and if they leave one guy one on one on the right play call, Fitz will dial that guy's number to go downfield and throw it to him if that is part of what they want to do that week.

This week, against the Giants, I'm not really sure what Gailey will design to try to beat them. The DBs are hurt, and they won't be able to cover all five guys because their back-ups will likely be mismatches against even our back-ups.

BUT... they have a ferocious pass rush, so Fitz is not likely to have any time to go downfield much. I would imagine we're going to see more of the controlled crossing pattern kind of offense, and make the Giants prove they can stop Jackson running and catching out of the backfield, and then once in awhile, if the matchups are favorable, take a shot downfield one on one, even if it is Roosevelt or Brad Smith or CJ or D Nelson running it.

Several factors led to the fact the Bills only threw the ball more than ten yards downfield twice in the entire game. The major reason was, that was the gameplan. The Philly CBs are studs, and the Philly DL charges hard. They also wanted to keep Vick off the field as much as possible, so they wanted to run, and they wanted to throw quick short passes to negate the pass rush and keep the clock moving.

They didn't have to throw the ball downfield because they were winning the entire game, and for the most part, they could move the ball. Especially after Jones went down, and the lone deep threat was out. I sincerely doubt that even if he was still in they would have thrown the ball more than 10 yards downfield.

Right now, it's not an issue because they haven't needed to do it. Teams are already creeping up and have been, but they only have so many guys to cover, and if they leave one guy one on one on the right play call, Fitz will dial that guy's number to go downfield and throw it to him if that is part of what they want to do that week.

This week, against the Giants, I'm not really sure what Gailey will design to try to beat them. The DBs are hurt, and they won't be able to cover all five guys because their back-ups will likely be mismatches against even our back-ups.

BUT... they have a ferocious pass rush, so Fitz is not likely to have any time to go downfield much. I would imagine we're going to see more of the controlled crossing pattern kind of offense, and make the Giants prove they can stop Jackson running and catching out of the backfield, and then once in awhile, if the matchups are favorable, take a shot downfield one on one, even if it is Roosevelt or Brad Smith or CJ or D Nelson running it.

I'd be less concerned with the passing game if the stat was indicative of real downfield throws. We are talking that even 10-15 yarders were MIA. That's still ball control, reach the sticks when you need to territory, not explosive plays. Our LT is out, several receivers, and fitz still has an unknown hand issue. I think it's worth more than "they had good corners" or "we threw downfield in KC and NE games... " weeks ago when healthy. I hope they keep surprising me, but I'm not sure what to make of these NFC east teams and what to take away yet. We will see. Cautious optimism still.

I'd be less concerned with the passing game if the stat was indicative of real downfield throws. We are talking that even 10-15 yarders were MIA. That's still ball control, reach the sticks when you need to territory, not explosive plays. Our LT is out, several receivers, and fitz still has an unknown hand issue. I think it's worth more than "they had good corners" or "we threw downfield in KC and NE games... " weeks ago when healthy. I hope they keep surprising me, but I'm not sure what to make of these NFC east teams and what to take away yet. We will see. Cautious optimism still.

I agree with all of that. And as you probably know, I am a huge advocate of opening up the field, taking shots downfield, and not letting teams creep up in the box. I don't see our WRs getting open all that much, and outside of Freddy Jackson, they are not getting a lot of yards after the catch.

That said, this is a remarkably efficient offensive team. I can't explain the way the OL has been opening holes all year. They don't get a lot of penalties. Gailey is truly the Megamind right now, and he and Fitz are on the same wavelength. They are, for the most part, doing everything that needs to be done to move the ball, get in the endzone, and win games.

It's easy to say, and likely true, that the inability to go downfield will catch up with them. But Gailey and Fitz have been playing so many cards right, and taking what the defense gives them so well, with a minor glitch in Cinci where I think they got hosed (although outplayed and didn't deserve to win), that I am unwilling to say it's a problem until they have to do it, they try to do it, and it fails them. Then, and only then, is it a problem.

That may indeed eventually be the case.

But I also wouldn't doubt at all if against the Giants, Fitz throws deep to Brad Smith or CJ for a long score because the play was designed to take advantage of something the Giants were doing.

Brad Smith made an interesting comment this week that not only are Gailey's plays designed smart to take advantage of what they believe the defense will be doing, there is always a built in failsafe route to go the opposite way if what they expected did not materialize. Pretty cool stuff.

As long as oline holds up, which I think it should even tho giants lead nfl with 18 sacks, there should be plays open downfield...

Passes complete over 20 yards have been dropping more and more since the start of the season, 3 step drop get the ball out quick has been very effective for us, however teams are starting to press and blitz more....Thank goodness for the little dump off passes to Fred that have picked up huge yards at times. However, we gonna have to at the least start scarying teams with the deep ball.

I completely understand your point- see my Bills/Giants game analysis here:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/topic/136933-billsg-men-prediction-page/page__view__findpost__p__2281637

I agree with the OP. This checking-down krap is for the birds. In the KC game, Fitz was zinging the ball around like an absolute madman. What happened? Maybe his finger really is hurt. All I'm saying is don't get Freddy beat up just because your finger's hurt. I totally hate myself for saying this, but if you have to, let pig-pen take some snaps to lessen the pressure. Somebody's gotta throw downfield.

Gone have to learn you some grammar.

However I do have to give credit for correctly using effective instead of affective.

But any extra credit that may have earned quickly disappeared with the missing verb (are) from we gonna

are you an english teacher? you know what he meant why not just go with it and leave it alone? why do people seem to think they need to correct others? are you a perfect typer? never make a mistake? my god alot of people on here are pricks!!!

i apologize...the grammar was pretty bad... but last year Stevie Johnson had more yrds per-catch...and we had Lee... My fear is after the bye...teams are going to start pressing and cutting the fields down.

why are you apologizing to these d$#@heads? so what if it was bad it wasnt hard to figure out what you meant!!! apparently they are all english teachers and dont have anything better to do than criticize others!!!

Good post and your right we need to go down field!!!

are you an english teacher? you know what he meant why not just go with it and leave it alone? why do people seem to think they need to correct others? are you a perfect typer? never make a mistake? my god alot of people on here are pricks!!!

I just like messing with people.

Now carry my bags to the locker room rookie. And order us a pizza

why are you apologizing to these d$#@heads? so what if it was bad it wasnt hard to figure out what you meant!!! apparently they are all english teachers and dont have anything better to do than criticize others!!!

Good post and your right we need to go down field!!!

Settle down, Beavis.

Doesn't Stevie still have a groin issue too?

If so, shouldn't he consult with the offensive linemen?

Are we talking about football or farming?

What do you care? You're just a bear. Go eat some salmon or gorge yourself on seasonal berries… farm fields are no business of yours…

why do people seem to think they need to correct others? are you a perfect typer?

I believe the word is "typist."

:)

Gone have to learn you some grammar.

However I do have to give credit for correctly using effective instead of affective.

But any extra credit that may have earned quickly disappeared with the missing verb (are) from we gonna

LOL that struck a funny chord with me. Down here I always hear people say "I'm gonna learn you this..." etc, and I always thought it was just some kind of southern lingo, like fix'in to or over yonder...but my wife informed me recently that people who say that actually think to learn you something is the same as to teach you something...

I actually heard a guy tell a Mexican "I'm fix'in to learn you some American" :o I was like dear god...

And honestly it really pisses me off how some southern white folks dog the Mexican population. The one that makes my blood boil is "if you're gonna live here, learn to speak the language."

I'm just thinking - do they offer Cherokee classes at night? Or...if you're gonna tell them not to live here, learn to pick an onion. Cause I'm sure as hell not gonna get out there in 120+ degree heat index and pick them...

And guys, I'm ranting now, but I have tons of respect for most Mexicans. These dudes WORK. They literally sprint back and forth all day long with 50 and 100 lb sacs of onions on their backs. It's amazing really. Most of us COULD NOT do it. It really torques me when people dog Mexicans.

Edited by SouthGeorgiaBillsFan

Think I read a stat somewhere that Fitz only attempted 3 passes of more then 10 yards in that Eagles game...

Bills missing Lee Evans to stretch the field? No real time to throw deep routes? Probably the reason he is sacked so few times this year, and probably the reason why that O line was able to play so well with a rookie at LT.