Tyler Thigpen or Levi Brown?

Jerry Jabber

I know Thigpen arrived late considering the start to Free Agency this year, but so far, he looks horrible. I'd feel more comfortable with Levi Brown as the #3 and Brad Smith as the #2 backup. Brown has led some scoring drives in the last 2 games, while Thigpen looks worse than Brian Brohm.

Edited by Jerry Jabber

Brown has shown an ability to take feedback and improve. He's still improving and therefore we don't know where his limit is. He shows a strong arm, quick feet and poise. Why jn the world would you cut him in favor of a journeyman where it's pretty clear he's close to if not at potential. He was given all the time in the world in pre season and showed nothing Unless buddy nix and chan gailey want a guy with a stupid sounding southern name like theirs. But seriously if chan is a man of his word and tonight was a matter of guys losing a spot showing they don't perform well under pressure, then thigpen should be cut.

Edited by Joe_the_6_pack

Horrible display of football tonight, I was there. TT was terrible, the draftee from UNC is ng as a RB...cut him loose. No problem finding guys to cut, lots on non NFL caliber players out there. Didn't stay into the 4th to see Levi....the fans were booing the Bills loudly early in the fourth w/ TT....I had to get out of there.

I know Thigpen arrived late considering the start to Free Agency this year, but so far, he looks horrible. I'd feel more comfortable with Levi Brown as the #3 and Brad Smith as the #2 backup. Brown has led some scoring drives in the last 2 games, while Thigpen looks worse than Brian Brohm.

Pigpen has always been horrible. I can only guess that the folks who were talking up his "glory days" in KC didn't actually see his games there...

My take is he's another J.P. Losman... good physical tools, but something is just missing...

Thigpen was really bad. I know the OL sucked but I'm focusing on the passes that he had time to do something. The majority of his passes where short of his targets, he either lacks the arm strenght or he was aiming low. I understand he is not familiar with some of the players, but Levi hooked up with some guys he got to know a week ago.

I would keep Levi over Thigpen, moreso knowing that Fitz is a very durable guy. Keep the more promising prospect. The OL looked more cohesive with Brown than with Thigpen.

That's a tough question. It's like asking if I would like to be shot or stabbed. Based on what I've seen of Thigpen so far, I think we are in serious trouble if Fitz goes down. Fitz is half way decent. None of the rest of the QBs on the roster appear to be competent starting NFL QBs. It kills me to say this because I was excited that we signed Thigpen and I had high hopes for him, but so far he is horrible. He reminds me a lot of JP. If Fitz does not play great this year, it's time for Luck, Barkley or Jones in the draft (with any luck, it will be Luck)

Thigpen was really bad. I know the OL sucked but I'm focusing on the passes that he had time to do something. The majority of his passes where short of his targets, he either lacks the arm strenght or he was aiming low. I understand he is not familiar with some of the players, but Levi hooked up with some guys he got to know a week ago.

I would keep Levi over Thigpen, moreso knowing that Fitz is a very durable guy. Keep the more promising prospect. The OL looked more cohesive with Brown than with Thigpen.

After watching this game in person tonight I say + 1

Thigpen sucked and Levi was moving the ball. Somewhat. <_<

I think the Bills will treat Thigpens camp like an established pitcher who gets knocked around during spring training. So what. Thigpen can play in this league and has proved it and that's why everything else won't matter. As for Dennis Dixon what would we do with him ? Like every other team in the NFL let's hope our starting QB doesn't get hurt. As Far as McClain the over under on his carries against the Bills is three- I'll take the under.

Edited by CardinalScotts

Proved he can play in this league? dude's on his 3rd team in 6 years. He ain't proved jack.

He's going into his sixth season to start with-

Has a season of throwing for 2600 yards how many BACK UPS can say that

He's only 27 and actually drafted by Vikings then to Chiefs then to Dolphins then to Bills

How does he keep hanging around?

How is Thigpen like "an established pitcher"? He's a career backup currently struggling against other teams' backups.

A couple of years ago he put up JP Losman numbers in KC. Big deal.

As a BACK UP with a season of 2600 yards that pretty much establishes your self and going into his sixth season. What credentials would you expect from a back up ? See Trent Edwards with his outstanding 102.7 QB rating last preseason then the games started counting.

Edited by CardinalScotts

I think the only reason they would keep Thigpen over Brown is because Brown is young and untested, and they want a mature, experienced QB backing up Fitz. Skillwise, I'd definitely give the nod to Levi. I think when they acquired Thigpen he was instantly given the backup job and there was no real competition. I don't like how that works but hoped Thigpen would be a good backup. Unfortunately he has look really weak. I'd prefer they keep Levi since he has a much better arm and they also have Smith who is just as good a thrower as Thigpen and adds the running dimension. Thigpen's only positive is his experience in the league (and he has incriminating photos of Gailey).

I do not feel comfortable with Brad Smith as a #2. The guy just got here and he is playing multiple positions. Give him a year and then maybe. Thigpen also just got here and hasn't got a good feel for his receivers. I'd give him a year too.

Brown has done some improving though not as much as hoped. For now, I think Brown should be considered for the #2 spot.

Smith will get some spot duty at QB and WR. He will also be used as a decoy occasionally, IMO.

So far, I am just not impressed with Thigpen, but I do think he needs some more time to adapt here.

Overall, I am not overly worried about our QBs. I think they all will bring something to the table with time and practice. My biggest concern is seeing better performance from the linemen protecting them. It's not looking good for Hangartner or Wang. Both look pretty weak this year.

Indeed. Thigpen is awful. But then again Gailey has a thing for sub par QBs.

Especially ones that he probably campaigned for who's commanding 3M+ per season. I highly doubt this franchise gives up on TT so quickly and takes that kind of hit.

Brown may wind up on the PS, but Thigpen's contract keeps him on this team.

I was less worried by all of his errant passes than by his body language. He had that kind of hang-dog, confused, frustrated, but not angry-enough-to-do-something-about-it look all night. Doesn't mean much maybe, but I feel like I've seen that look on QBs before, and never on a good one.

I know he has only been around this offense for a handful of weeks, but he looks physically, intellectually, and emotionally bewildered out there to me.

Brown will be on the PS. Thigpens contract gives him the roster spot but if something happens to fitz ( God Forbid) then Brad Smith is our only other QB. I like his versitility but if we have to line him up under center for a whole game we are going to be in trouble

You should stick with the hindsight thing. There is no way Smith winds up being the #2. The wildcat is fine as a change of pace but there is no chance Gailey is going to try that full time if Fitz goes down.

As for the contracts, that is not how Gailey operates. He will put on the field who he thinks is going to perform the best. Contracts don't mean jack.

As for the contracts, that is not how Gailey operates. He will put on the field who he thinks is going to perform the best. Contracts don't mean jack.

As it pertains to contracts from the former regime, yes. But what about the contracts he owns like thigpens? Will gailey show the same resolve?

48 percent completion rate against guys off the street

In fairness, he also had a 48 percent completion rate playing with guys off the street. I saw at least 2 drops, a couple of blown routes, and he was constantly under siege. That being said, he's still had a terrible preseason.

It's pretty obvious by the amount of playing time the Qb's got, who is staying and who is going. Nix said all off season that the team would bring in a veteran, they are not letting Thigpen go regardless of what he did in pre-season. Chan has worked with him and knows what he can get out of him. I like Brown, but I think he gets cut again but this time he won't be brought back.

In fairness, he also had a 48 percent completion rate playing with guys off the street. I saw at least 2 drops, a couple of blown routes, and he was constantly under siege. That being said, he's still had a terrible preseason.

In fairness, unless you've played the game and watched a ton of film, it's extremely difficult to tell if it was the WR or QB who messed up the route.

Brown will be on the PS. Thigpens contract gives him the roster spot but if something happens to fitz ( God Forbid) then Brad Smith is our only other QB. I like his versitility but if we have to line him up under center for a whole game we are going to be in trouble

Man I hope you're wrong. Brown is hands down a better QB with far more potential. Thigpen needs to go sell insurance.

I dont think Thigpen will work as a backup. The only reason that he worked for Gailey in KC was the adoption of the Pistol. We don't run a pistol. IMO, your backup needs to be able to fit into your offense, and you shouldn't be adapting your entire offense for your backup when your starter goes down, and I think Brown plugs into the Fitzcentric offense much better than Thigpen.

But of course, Thigpen is Gailey's pet and will probably stay here.

No one will pick up Levi Brown when he gets cut. He won't make the practice squad this year for the same reason he didn't make the PS last year. Too many QB's not enough reps in practice. He's gone through training camp, played in preseason games so he's a fine replacement should one of our QB's get injured during the season. Just like last year. To be fair, he looks better than he did last year.

Thigpen is a vet and the head coach is very familiar with him so he'll be the backup. I doubt he lasts longer than this year.

i was at the game last night, thigpen was horrible. he did nothing but throw short choppy passes. never would go deep. i couldnt even belive he was kept in for as long as he was, its obvious though that the coaches want to see what he can do. When Levi came in it was a great relief, he was throwing the ball consistently and moving the team down field, unfortunetly his recievers(ruvell martin) was dropping a few of his passes. With fitzy as our starter and brad smith as a qb/wr and thigpen and gailys relationship along with thigpens contract im sure thigpen will remain on our roster, and brown possibly cut, or else on PS and probobly claimed, but i see potential in Levi after really watching him, unfortunetly Thigpen looks like another losman/edwards with short passes every down

He's going into his sixth season to start with-

Has a season of throwing for 2600 yards how many BACK UPS can say that

He's only 27 and actually drafted by Vikings then to Chiefs then to Dolphins then to Bills

How does he keep hanging around?

As a BACK UP with a season of 2600 yards that pretty much establishes your self and going into his sixth season. What credentials would you expect from a back up ? See Trent Edwards with his outstanding 102.7 QB rating last preseason then the games started counting.

LP Losman to the Bills to the Raiders to the Seahawks.....

An "established pitcher" isn't a player who's role, by design, is never to play unless something bad happens to a starter ahead of you.

Anyway, pointing to his single meaningful season (3 years ago) when he is currently floundering against scrubs in the preseason is meaningless. Jp had one decent season--then he sucked again.

Edited by Mr. WEO

This

Chan wants to run a spread option

Siince Tebow has underwhelmed and Brady Quinn has looked good, that 4th rounder for Lee may be enough

Or just wait one more year for Tebow to be cut. He's steadily working his way down the depth chart and towards the door.

I was less worried by all of his errant passes than by his body language. He had that kind of hang-dog, confused, frustrated, but not angry-enough-to-do-something-about-it look all night. Doesn't mean much maybe, but I feel like I've seen that look on QBs before, and never on a good one.

I know he has only been around this offense for a handful of weeks, but he looks physically, intellectually, and emotionally bewildered out there to me.

What he said.

Lord knows Fitz throws errant passes (though his completion % is higher than Thigpen's best year which was still only 54% completion).

But Fitz always seems to be thinking about how to make the next play or the next series better. He's "got Game".

You're right, TT looks dazed and confused.

I can't entirely blame him - getting body slammed 5-10x by a 250 lb hunk of manhood would daze and confuse me - but I'm not being paid $3M/yr to be an NFL QB

I saw enough of that lost-puppy look out of Trentative.

I really can't give TT as much of a pass for needing to learn the system and the receivers as some folks.

I live in St Louis. A lot of folks here remember when Fitz came in as the 3rd string QB, 1st professional game, lit the place up for >300 yds in a come from behind victory.

Anyway, pointing to his single meaningful season (3 years ago) when he is currently floundering against scrubs in the preseason is meaningless. Jp had one decent season--then he sucked again.

Or RJ

Edited by Hopeful