After watching Gruden's QB Camp ...

Gruden's QB Camp is must-see draft prep ... (random thoughts on each guy, for what it's worth)

Ryan Mallett has taken a lot of abuse, but has the best physical tools to potentially one day be in the Manning/Bledsoe/Rivers mold. His arm is unsurpassed, and 6'7" is a huge advantage to QB decision-making in the NFL. Mallett has thrived in a pro offense, and its hard to argue that he did not handle that level of responsibility quite well. Wonderlic score aside, Mallett was chomping at the bit at the whiteboard, ready to dissect whatever the defense shows. He has a competitive fire, and really seems motivated to silence his critics.

Andy Dalton was also very impressive, and I bet there are ~30 teams who wouldn't mind adding him to their QB corps if possible. He certainly appears as the most NFL-ready guy to play from day one. At the whiteboard, Dalton was comfortable and confident - even telling Gruden he would have whatever blitz he threw at him picked up. He seems to have solid leadership ability, and its hard to argue with what he did in his 4 years to get TCU back on the map with a big Rose Bowl win against Wisconsin.

Cam Newton has loads of charisma and all the physical things you just can not coach, but I am not convinced he can come in and command an NFL offense of veterans anytime soon. When put on the spot, he could not even come up with a college play call ... it seemed like he just knew the plays at Auburn by the numbers called in from the sideline. Not impressed, I really needed to see much more for a potentially #1 overall, $30+ million investment. His mechanics are not bad, but I still question how well he has had to read things beyond choice #1. In a nutshell, I say he's Vince Newton.

Jake Locker was quite interesting physically, although I think early NFL success will require a good landing spot. He's got some Fitzpatrick in him. He showed a lot of toughness, but we all know you can't wear down an NFL defense with your running ability for very long. Mike Vick has even evolved. RoJo and Trent had good scrambling ability that was a weapon early on, but both were reduced to scaredy-cats after taking a few too many licks. That being the case, he's a gamer, but I am not sold on his overall accuracy. Wouldn't kick and scream if he were our second rounder, but he won't last that long.

Blaine Gabbert is an enigma to me ... great physical tools, but what did he really do @ Missouri that was so special? Beat Illinois and Kansas? He was the most laid-back guy, and did not show a ton of that 'leadership' type of personality needed to be able to lead grown NFL men right away ... you could say RoJo was also sorta like that, and it was actually part of his un-doing by the time it was all said and done.

I only wish Gruden invited Christian Ponder on the show as well. I really think the Bills secretly love Ponder, and will try to grab him and groom him under Fitzy if they can. They took him for a nice test-ride at the Senior Bowl, and reports are that he has always carried himself like a pro.

I favor a late first or 2nd round guy to develop versus investing our #3 overall - we need a Von Miller or Marcell Dareus (or even Peterson if he is that good) and can NOT afford a premium whiff like Mike Williams or Maybin.

Just watched the show with all the QB's haven't, watched the individual episodes yet. Very telling, gotta love Gruden.

Cam sure comes across as a one year wonder gimmick player, Gabbert does remind me of a certain surfer dude,Mallet looks like a head case, But Dalton and Locker did show a little.

Add Ponder to that list of three in the 2nd and I'd be real happy.

Edited by JinWPB

Gruden's QB Camp is must-see draft prep ... (random thoughts on each guy, for what it's worth)

Ryan Mallett has taken a lot of abuse, but has the best physical tools to potentially one day be in the Manning/Bledsoe/Rivers mold. His arm is unsurpassed, and 6'7" is a huge advantage to QB decision-making in the NFL. Mallett has thrived in a pro offense, and its hard to argue that he did not handle that level of responsibility quite well. Wonderlic score aside, Mallett was chomping at the bit at the whiteboard, ready to dissect whatever the defense shows. He has a competitive fire, and really seems motivated to silence his critics.

Andy Dalton was also very impressive, and I bet there are ~30 teams who wouldn't mind adding him to their QB corps if possible. He certainly appears as the most NFL-ready guy to play from day one. At the whiteboard, Dalton was comfortable and confident - even telling Gruden he would have whatever blitz he threw at him picked up. He seems to have solid leadership ability, and its hard to argue with what he did in his 4 years to get TCU back on the map with a big Rose Bowl win against Wisconsin.

Cam Newton has loads of charisma and all the physical things you just can not coach, but I am not convinced he can come in and command an NFL offense of veterans anytime soon. When put on the spot, he could not even come up with a college play call ... it seemed like he just knew the plays at Auburn by the numbers called in from the sideline. Not impressed, I really needed to see much more for a potentially #1 overall, $30+ million investment. His mechanics are not bad, but I still question how well he has had to read things beyond choice #1. In a nutshell, I say he's Vince Newton.

Jake Locker was quite interesting physically, although I think early NFL success will require a good landing spot. He's got some Fitzpatrick in him. He showed a lot of toughness, but we all know you can't wear down an NFL defense with your running ability for very long. Mike Vick has even evolved. RoJo and Trent had good scrambling ability that was a weapon early on, but both were reduced to scaredy-cats after taking a few too many licks. That being the case, he's a gamer, but I am not sold on his overall accuracy. Wouldn't kick and scream if he were our second rounder, but he won't last that long.

Blaine Gabbert is an enigma to me ... great physical tools, but what did he really do @ Missouri that was so special? Beat Illinois and Kansas? He was the most laid-back guy, and did not show a ton of that 'leadership' type of personality needed to be able to lead grown NFL men right away ... you could say RoJo was also sorta like that, and it was actually part of his un-doing by the time it was all said and done.

I only wish Gruden invited Christian Ponder on the show as well. I really think the Bills secretly love Ponder, and will try to grab him and groom him under Fitzy if they can. They took him for a nice test-ride at the Senior Bowl, and reports are that he has always carried himself like a pro.

I favor a late first or 2nd round guy to develop versus investing our #3 overall - we need a Von Miller or Marcell Dareus (or even Peterson if he is that good) and can NOT afford a premium whiff like Mike Williams or Maybin.

Gabbert may seem laid back because he's confident and SUPER smart...I don't think that Kid believes there is anything that is going to hold him back...And since when did Missouri become this National Powerhouse that is expected to beat everyone?...They beat Texas A&M and Oklahoma in 2010...Just watch that tape from the Insight Bowl vs. Iowa...Watch that Kid sling the Ball around...Then add to it the fact that he's not just good but a great athlete at QB, his Wonderlic score was a 42, his Teammates say he was an excellent leader, he went out on his own and talked to NFL QB's about what to expect and what would be expected of him in the league...Take away the Offense he HAD to run at Missouri and that Kid is the consensus #1 overall Pick...If he went to Florida St or USC he would be #1 Overall and there would not be any question about it...

Gabbert has things to overcome for sure...But honestly he seems to have the mental and physical make-up to excel once he gets it...Buffalo is a perfect landing spot for him too...He's got Gailey here and he won't be expected to start right away...I just don't see much downside with that Kid...But we'll see in a few years...I do understand how Folks are iffy about spending #3 overall on a QB...But if Gabbert looks like Bradford looked last year a couple years from now believe me no one is going to be saying #3 overall was too high for the Kid... B-)

Don't like Newton at all. Big risk, and I don't believe he will become the next manning or brady. Not worth it. I really like Ponder at #34 as long as the Nix/Gailey think he can be the next Kelly. If they could trade down and get Mallet mid first round, that would work as well. Who cares if the guy can add 2+2 and get 5. Can he read a defense and can he play football. Very few QBs, if any, present as the sharpest tack in the box except on the field. As Nix has stated right now would be a great time to draft a QB to groom over the next 1 to 2 years. Fitz has proven he can be serviceable and he might even get better. If they can get a QB outside of #3 that can be better I think they should.

Good post OP!

I agree with your asesments. Can't understand some posters hate for Gruden. I love his enthisiasm and his love of the game! I can see where a character like him could wear out his welcome over time, but he's a refreshing alternative to the typical staid coach/football expert.

Based on the clips I saw, I would be concerned about picking Newton, the Auburn offense seemed pretty elementary compared to the pro game. Mallett was pretty impressive. Call him a head case, slow footed, etc.

Bottom line, the guy makes the big time throws required by NFL quarterbacks. If Mallett miraculously falls to round 2, I say take him.

Gabbert may seem laid back because he's confident and SUPER smart...I don't think that Kid believes there is anything that is going to hold him back...And since when did Missouri become this National Powerhouse that is expected to beat everyone?...They beat Texas A&M and Oklahoma in 2010...Just watch that tape from the Insight Bowl vs. Iowa...Watch that Kid sling the Ball around...Then add to it the fact that he's not just good but a great athlete at QB, his Wonderlic score was a 42, his Teammates say he was an excellent leader, he went out on his own and talked to NFL QB's about what to expect and what would be expected of him in the league...Take away the Offense he HAD to run at Missouri and that Kid is the consensus #1 overall Pick...If he went to Florida St or USC he would be #1 Overall and there would not be any question about it...

Gabbert has things to overcome for sure...But honestly he seems to have the mental and physical make-up to excel once he gets it...Buffalo is a perfect landing spot for him too...He's got Gailey here and he won't be expected to start right away...I just don't see much downside with that Kid...But we'll see in a few years...I do understand how Folks are iffy about spending #3 overall on a QB...But if Gabbert looks like Bradford looked last year a couple years from now believe me no one is going to be saying #3 overall was too high for the Kid... B-)

As much as I would rather see the Bills try to trade down it would not surprise me if they drafted Gabbert. Even though Buddy Nix has always been a straight shooter when discussing players and I take with the proverbial grain of salt what is said leading up to the draft, I found it interesting about them having had Gabbert rated highly all along. Then there was Gailey's statement about waiting to draft a QB of the future and if you do it's too late. A drafted QB would have time to learn behind Fritz who will be a FA and could possibly leave for greener pastures elsewhere. This has been the Bills MO in the past, draft a player to replace a player you think might not be around next year. Or the Bills might be of the opinion that there is no QB on their roster right now that they believe can win them a Super Bowl.

The thought of drafting Ponder is a nice thought but what happens if he's gone by our second pick? Many teams have been burned by if-comes. Again I remember Nix saying if you have a conviction on a player (in reference to trading down) you don't take a chance of him being there at that pick, you take him. Extend that mindset to the third pick. If the Bills have a conviction on Blaine Gabbert, he will be the pick.

As much as I would rather see the Bills try to trade down it would not surprise me if they drafted Gabbert. Even though Buddy Nix has always been a straight shooter when discussing players and I take with the proverbial grain of salt what is said leading up to the draft, I found it interesting about them having had Gabbert rated highly all along. Then there was Gailey's statement about waiting to draft a QB of the future and if you do it's too late. A drafted QB would have time to learn behind Fritz who will be a FA and could possibly leave for greener pastures elsewhere. This has been the Bills MO in the past, draft a player to replace a player you think might not be around next year. Or the Bills might be of the opinion that there is no QB on their roster right now that they believe can win them a Super Bowl.

The thought of drafting Ponder is a nice thought but what happens if he's gone by our second pick? Many teams have been burned by if-comes. Again I remember Nix saying if you have a conviction on a player (in reference to trading down) you don't take a chance of him being there at that pick, you take him. Extend that mindset to the third pick. If the Bills have a conviction on Blaine Gabbert, he will be the pick.

Agreed 100%... B-)

After he conducted the interviews Amd watched them on the field, gruden said he liked newton as the best of the bunch. I don't have the link, but it was posted in another thread. I think all of them have a chance to succeed, as is the case most years. A "chance" to succeed.

Afetr Watching Gruden's camp i say "sign Gruden as our coach!" Or pay him in an advisory capacity for which QB to draft.

Gruden never drafted a QB that has had success in the pros.

And I agree with this idea. A 30 minute tv segment is much more important than 14 games against the best college competition in the country.

+ 11 :beer:

I agree with a lot of what you said..(which doesn't happen often on here!)..I also favor a QB in the 2nd round and saw some of the Gruden/QB program you mentioned on ESPN2. I probably only saw 15 min. of it, but it still gave me insight to some degree on a few of these guys!I agree about Marcell Dareus or Von Miller (not so much w/Peterson..even though I agree he is very talented..just not much buzz factor there even though that's not the point of a team's selection..) My favorite QB choice would be Colin Kaepernick in the 2nd as I just love everything that I read and see on him. Jake Locker is interesting and has a strong arm along with Kaepernick and Mallett. Mallett is interesting, and I have to figure if his personal problems/potential drug use would merit exclusion? Dalton is intersting but not as high on my list as the other 3.

Now, some of this comes down to personal preference and who you form a sportfan like bond with at least to some degree, and I just have not formed that like for C. Ponder! It's probably not even justified, but I have no interest in him and only have marginal knowledge of his accomplishments. The things I have heard about him is that he is often injured and struggles to sense the presence of pocket pressure or realizing where the pressure is coming from which leads to his continual battle with injuries. I know that he has battled injuries and played with some as well. One of my 2011 NFL Draft guides actually compare him as they do all your higher rated players with Trent Edwards in his abiilities and performance. That alone for me was the end of the road which seemed as like a deadend before I started to travel down it and explore!

So the first two picks I anticipate the Bills will select are not really my favorites but on Von Miller's part I'm okay with it as I recognize the talent, but with Ponder, I hope the Bills ponder a little harder and decide to seek their QB of the future elsewhere!!!

Edited by tonyjustbcuz

I just hope according to Nix's theory that they don't have a strong enough conviction in Ponder that they would draft him at #3 thinking he may possibly be gone by the 2nd round! Playing the other side of that coin is that if the Bills don't have a strong enough conviction of Ponder to make that reach then they have no business drafting Ponder in the second round because all they would be doing is admitting that he is not as talented as Gabbert or Newton! Personally I don't like that Ponder gets injured often and easily, and struggles sometimes to identify pocket pressure until it's too late. The closest comparison some of my NFL 2011 Draft publications make of Ponder is to of all QB's............Yes, you got it...Trent (Captain checkdown!) Edwards !!! No Thanks..

If I'm going to take a chance in the 2nd it's with Colin Kaepernick who set NCAA records with his combined run/pass total yards and had high numbers for at least two years and a good interception/td ratio as well. He probably has the strongest arm of all QB's followed by Mallett, Locker, and Newton. A QB coach that trained and worked with both Cam Newton and Colin kaepernick said something to the effect that Kapepernick was the better athlete of the two, and ahead as far as his ability to perform in an NFL offense. He said many other things in Kaepernick's favor as well and is my hands down pick of choice for QB. And to backup how I feel even though it doesn't carry any weight in the Bills front office..lol..but if need be I would select Colin Kaepernick in the first round if detected a strong potential that someone late in the first or early second round might grab him before us!

Take away the Offense he HAD to run at Missouri and that Kid is the consensus #1 overall Pick...If he went to Florida St or USC he would be #1 Overall and there would not be any question about it...

Before you get in defensive mode, I like Gabbert but I don't think he would be in the discussion anywhere near the top of the first round if Luck came out. 3rd guy off the board in the middle or end of the first? SURE! If Gabbert played at a more competitive school in a tougher conference would he really have looked as good? The level of talent he was running and throwing against would have been better as well.

I am just not sure what it is that everyone sees that truly distinguishes this guy from the other QBs not named Newton. Before you say it I am not really a Newton guy. He is a gamble. He could be great if he learns how to play NFL QB. He does have absolutely EVERYTHING you could ever want in a QB except....well....being a polished QB. That guy has a LOT to learn about complex plays and reading a defense.

Edited by PDaDdy

After seeing Cam with Chuckie I don't want Cam Newton

He would seem like a J. Russell do -over. To much of a risk.

I think its between Gabbert or Miller at this point but we will find out soon enough.

"Manning/Bledsoe/Rivers mold."

:lol: um which of the 3 does not belong? I don't even understand the comparison. Mallet does remind me a little of Bledsoe- big arm, needs all day, not the best decision maker,unathletic and immobile. No thank you

Before you get in defensive mode, I like Gabbert but I don't think he would be in the discussion anywhere near the top of the first round if Luck came out. 3rd guy off the board in the middle or end of the first? SURE! If Gabbert played at a more competitive school in a tougher conference would he really have looked as good? The level of talent he was running and throwing against would have been better as well.

I am just not sure what it is that everyone sees that truly distinguishes this guy from the other QBs not named Newton. Before you say it I am not really a Newton guy. He is a gamble. He could be great if he learns how to play NFL QB. He does have absolutely EVERYTHING you could ever want in a QB except....well....being a polished QB. That guy has a LOT to learn about complex plays and reading a defense.

Well I can understand if someone does not want to use a high 1st rounder on Gabbert...I disagree...But I understand...Kind of Alex Smith fear, and I get it...But this stuff about Gabbert being pumped up because Luck did not come out is really unfounded...Let's say Luck is in this Draft...He goes #1 overall...We all know that...Then you have the exact same Draft with the exact same Prospects from #2 on...No way Gabbert gets beyond all these QB needy Teams...Buffalo, Cincy, Arizona, Washington, Miami, Minnesota...He's not going to drop far...A Bills Scout (the Presser is up on buffalobills.com) said it perfectly..."That's exactly how you would draw up a QB, with his (Gabbert's) size, physical tools, and want to..." You asked what everyone sees in him...Well no question he has the physical tools but that Kid is super smart and driven...He's a Football junkie with amazing smarts...Gabbert does have a lot to learn...No question...But it's a gamble on greatness...And at the QB Position, I'm OK with that gamble...Especially when you have a Coach like Gailey at the helm, and a QB on the Roster that can start the 2011 Season while Gabbert learns the system and the NFL... B-)

After watching Cam on Gruden's show, it's clear to me that the Bills will stay FAR AWAY from Newton. Gruden put him on the spot and asked him to call a play he ran at Auburn - it was embarrassing - he couldn't even name one play (since they ran a system of numbers displayed from the sideline). I can only imagine how badly Newton bombed out when the Bills interviewed him.

Gabbert looked smart, athletic and hungry with Gruden. I think I'd be happy with him at 3, although I'd prefer Dareus or Miller based on immediate need.

After seeing Cam with Chuckie I don't want Cam Newton

He would seem like a J. Russell do -over. To much of a risk.

I think its between Gabbert or Miller at this point but we will find out soon enough.

Cam Newton is absolutely nothing like Jamarcus Russel. Seriously ...nothing! Newton has a long way to go to become an NFL QB but he is a natural charismatic leader and was VERY successful at every level of college football and won a national championship.

Micheal Vick, Randall Cunningham and perhaps Vince Young are better comparisons as far as his physical skills, arm and running ability go. I hate to include Vince Young as Cam has better physical gifts but Young was not a natural leader of charismatic. That being said he is a lot bigger and more durable than those guys. None of that matters though if he can't learn how to become an NFL QB.

Well I can understand if someone does not want to use a high 1st rounder on Gabbert...I disagree...But I understand...Kind of Alex Smith fear, and I get it...But this stuff about Gabbert being pumped up because Luck did not come out is really unfounded...Let's say Luck is in this Draft...He goes #1 overall...We all know that...Then you have the exact same Draft with the exact same Prospects from #2 on...No way Gabbert gets beyond all these QB needy Teams...Buffalo, Cincy, Arizona, Washington, Miami, Minnesota...He's not going to drop far...A Bills Scout (the Presser is up on buffalobills.com) said it perfectly..."That's exactly how you would draw up a QB, with his (Gabbert's) size, physical tools, and want to..." You asked what everyone sees in him...Well no question he has the physical tools but that Kid is super smart and driven...He's a Football junkie with amazing smarts...Gabbert does have a lot to learn...No question...But it's a gamble on greatness...And at the QB Position, I'm OK with that gamble...Especially when you have a Coach like Gailey at the helm, and a QB on the Roster that can start the 2011 Season while Gabbert learns the system and the NFL... B-)

True true. You do bring up a great point. There are so many QB needy teams I think Gabbert probably will go in the top 10 to 15. Part of my point is there is a loose and unsubstantiated rule that I think I believe in. There is usually the 1 sure fire guy or the 2 candidate race. That being said you can get a guy like Josh Freeman at #17 2 years ago. Not a LOT of talk about him but he ended up being the best of the group and he was the 3rd QB to go. You can make a case for Sanchez but so Freeman has been the best imo. A similar draft where Big Ben was the 3rd QB but is probably the best of his bunch. Maybe Gabbert is that guy. I would feel a lot better picking him in the early teens than #3 overall. If he is going to be good.....I guess it doesn't matter where you get him ultimately.

Newton came across as a phony. Seemed like he tried to BS and smile his way through the interview. In the end though it doesn't really matter if he tears it up on the field. Probably a good kid at heart, but I wouldn't want Mallett as the face of my franchise. Seems like a fragile dude. Locker and Mallett seemed like stand-up guys who took criticism well. Locker didn't come across as the sharpest knife. Hard to get a read on Gabbert.

I don't know if its been discussed much, but I keep looking at the fact that the Bills don't have

a #2 QB right now. So, if we draft a QB in the first or second he has to be the number two. Why?

If you draft a guy that high, expecting him to eventually take over, you need to start getting him

his reps. And he's not going to do that at #3 (if we were to bring in a FA or whatever). So, we need

a guy that can play year one if Fitz were to go down. So, I don't see the Bills drafting a project QB.

I think (if they choose a QB early) they have to go after one of the guys that is more pro-ready.

I'd be real nervous, despite his talent, drafting Newton after that interview. How long before he'll

be able to pick up and then master an NFL offense. Maybe he can, but it looks like it could take a while.

Compare Newton's answer about dissecting a play "We'd just call #34" to Ryan Mallet at the board

talking about every possible outcome of the play and what the defense might be doing...that was impressive.

I'm not sure about Gabbert at 3...probably prefer to go defense...but if the Bills went that way, I'd trust them.

But, I think I'd rather take a chance with our 2nd round pick on guys like Dalton, Ponder, Kaepernick (or

Locker or Mallet if they were to fall) then take that big a chance with our first pick.

I watched every minute of each individual episode. I hold similiar thoughts. If I had to rank them based in how they did on the show, I'd go Dalton, Gabbert, Locker, Mallett, and Newton.

I don't know where the "laid back surfer guy" stuff comes from. Did you see him leading a firery pre-game charge on the field? I don't think Edwards or Johnson have ever done that.

And I don't know of everyone realizes this, but Gabbert is only 21!

I think Gabbert will be the first one off the board and then Darius at #2. Bills should get some good offers to move down with Newton still on the board and I pray they move or pick anyone else. I wouldn't mind Gabbert at all if there, but would love Darius or Miller with Dalton, Kap or Ponder at #34. I would also be ok if they end up grabbing Gabbert to get Rudolph at #34, then all defense. I think Troup, Carrington and Moats will all turn on this year under Dave W.

Edited by NC Buffalo Fanatic

Finally some one that is making some sense !! I agree with just about all of what you said , Dalton i think is going to be an awesome QB in this league !!

I don't get the whole Gabbert thing ?? Sure he's a pretty boy but what else a good arm but he's a project .

We need a D upgrade , we have the luxury of Fitz let's use him that way if nothing else blow a nut on a QB next year & go up & get Luck if there serious about getting a for real franchise guy .

All the draft guru's are saying this years QB class isn't all that & a bag of chips so why take a huge 1st round chance & wind up with another J.P. ??? (which i wish he would have worked out had a huge arm)

Miller or Dareus @ 3 Martez Wilson @ 34 . Go Bills !!!

:worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Afetr Watching Gruden's camp i say "sign Gruden as our coach!" Or pay him in an advisory capacity for which QB to draft.

give it a few years or maybe Vic Fangio that guy can run one mean D, I think San Fran is going to be a great team in a few years, Can't believe the SF is going to be smash mouth but I'm all for it. I think we are headed for the peak of these spread offenses and then return to smash mouth again. Like when the run and shoot ran its course and then run teams like Dallas and Broncos came on the seen to run the league over.

Gruden never drafted a QB that has had success in the pros.

And I agree with this idea. A 30 minute tv segment is much more important than 14 games against the best college competition in the country.

He's a coach. Not a GM

any newton backers left after viewing that? i hope not

Because why? The offense called at auburn isn't a traditional offense? He needs to be able to make a big transition as far as play calling, that's for sure. But I'm pretty sure that the newton backers weren't backing him because of his knowledge of a pro style offense. They were backing him because of his physical attributes. After viewing that, they are still in love with his physical attributes. You hated him before viewing that, and you still hate him. Congrats. I still think he has a chance of being a VERY special player. Will he? I have no idea. he has the same chance to bust as as he did before watching it.

Kurt Warner, Steve Mariucci and the "No Huddle" crew share strong opinions on whether Cam Newton will succeed in the NFL. Who believes and who's skeptical?

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-videos/09000d5d81f67eb5/No-Huddle-Can-Cam-succeed-in-NFL?module=HP_headlines

Not surprisingly, the only one of the 4 who is pro-Newton is also the only one of the 4 who has never been a coach, a GM, or a quarterback.

Hmmm. . . .

Edited by maddenboy

I am in full agreement with your post Steve. I don't neccessarily think that Gabbert is the right selection, but Ralph had his staff scouting qbs specifically since last fall.

Imo, he wouldn't spring for the expenses to do so if he wasn't dead serious about drafting a quarterback.

I am in full agreement with your post Steve. I don't neccessarily think that Gabbert is the right selection, but Ralph had his staff scouting qbs specifically since last fall.

Imo, he wouldn't spring for the expenses to do so if he wasn't dead serious about drafting a quarterback.

That's what I've been thinking all along...If you listen to the Presser and how much time the Scouting Staff put in on Gabbert alone I think it's a CLEAR indication The Bills are prepared to take a QB if they think they have the right guy...

One thing I noticed in the Scouts Press Conference that is up on The Bills Official site right now was that it's CRYSTAL clear the Bills philosophy at QB is that EVERY College QB has a huge learning curve...Even the ones who run "Pro-style" Systems in College have a ton to learn in the NFL regardless...So I get the feeling that as an Organization they are much more concerned with the overall ability and smarts a QB brings to the table...And not so much necessarily about his NFL readiness...The Bills have a Starter for the 2011 Season anyway...They are looking for 2012 and beyond...

So knowing all that, when I see a Prospect like Gabbert I have to wonder exactly what it would be that would stop The Bills from taking him at #3 overall...And I'll grant anyone the fact that the Kid is not ready to be an NFL Starter today...But he's a tremendous athlete who is SUPER smart, driven, prepared, hard-working, has real good arm, etc, etc...The Kid looks born to play QB...And assuming The Bills are dead serious about taking a QB in this Draft, and also assuming they believe that ANY Prospect QB has a massive learning curve, I wonder why they would pass on Gabbert for an OLB?....I realize there is risk involved, but all indications are The Bills understand those risks and want to have a cornerstone at QB to re-build this Team around...It's the single Position in the NFL that no one wants to try and just "get by" at...And while many around here believe The Bills get some comfort in knowing Gailey can get the most out of limited talent, I think Football men like Nix and Gailey sit up all night dreaming about what they could do with a QB who has talent like Gabbert...Why would a guy like Gailey not want to try and mold an All-Pro? Would the best mechanic not want the best tools? Just food for thought... B-)