Bills Cut Marcus Stroud

FluffHead

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Great. Makes defensive line even more of a need. I really hope they're planning on bringing someone in during free agency.

Yeah because its not like Stroud wasn't playing out of position and wasn't hurt all the time. I like Marcus but he's not the same player he once was and doesn't really fit our defense. This is not that big of a deal IMO.

I just got the text from the Bills. I cant say im too suprised, he was pretty bad last year.

That leaves us with Williams, Troup, Carrington, and Edwards (and Spencer Johnson I guess.). Hopefully we bail on Kelsay too and use those money allocated to those two guys and poney up for Sioli. The we are a top draft pick away from a very stout DL.

DE: Williams/Carrington

NG: Sioli/Troupe/Williams(pass rusing NG)

DE: 1st Round pick/Edwards.

This is pretty shocking to me. While Stroud is definitely past his peak, but he is still valuable to this team's D-line. He is a guy that we absolutely need as a rotational player. I wonder what is behind this move. Faith in the young guys? Plans to draft D-line early and often? Speculation that there may indeed not be a season next year, therefore Stroud will be to old?

There goes my pick for Franchise Player..

JK. IMO, he's been part of the problem

+1

He was THE worst DLman we had all last season. I'll put it this way, Kelsay played better at LB than Stroud did at DE last season. That's how bad he was.

I wonder if this move is indicative of the Bills' draft plan.

GO BILLS!!!

Yeah because its not like Stroud wasn't playing out of position and wasn't hurt all the time. I like Marcus but he's not the same player he once was and doesn't really fit our defense. This is not that big of a deal IMO.

It's easy to run with this and say that Fairey, Dareus, Cam Jordan is the pick now, but i think Stroud was gone no matter who the #1 is going to be.

Edited by Why So Serious?

The point being that despite being on the downward slope and playing out of position he was better than whatever else we have. Now if they don't go out and bring in a free agent we'll be relying on a rookie to make an impact. I'm all for improving the team, but wait until you have a replacement before you start trimming the roster.

I'm guessing that was sarcasm. The writing is on the wall for Stroud and has been for awhile.

No, I was serious, Not So... I realize Stroud wasn't great, but I think he has had decent games at times. I just didn't have him on my radar as one of the guys on the likely to get cut list...I don't know the salary cap ramifications, and I am not "shocked", just wonder what it means for the draft/roster.

The point being that despite being on the downward slope and playing out of position he was better than whatever else we have. Now if they don't go out and bring in a free agent we'll be relying on a rookie to make an impact. I'm all for improving the team, but wait until you have a replacement before you start trimming the roster.

The early returns seem to be dissing Stroud and writing this off as no big deal, but I agree with your assessment.

This is pretty shocking to me. While Stroud is definitely past his peak, but he is still valuable to this team's D-line. He is a guy that we absolutely need as a rotational player. I wonder what is behind this move. Faith in the young guys? Plans to draft D-line early and often? Speculation that there may indeed not be a season next year, therefore Stroud will be to old?

My personal hope is this.

I'd say I'm surprised by the timing, but only marginally. Gives him a couple weeks to try and grab a team, pre lockout. Good courtesy move. I couldn't see a way he was here next year. Literally saw zero projections of our dline that included him - spoke volumes.

Good for the Bills!

Now they just need to get rid of the rest of the driftwood...Poz needs to go too, or grow some badly needed balls.

There's a big difference in cutting an expensive, aging, tough-to-peg-position player in our defense with a young linebacker who had had little help up front or beside him in our horrid defense.

Good. We got 2.5 good years from the guy. If anybody expected him to carry the franchise (upon signing through today) then they were always kidding themselves.

Prudent move from the FO. Doesn't fit the scheme. Couldn't play up the middle, to slow to play on the end.

Made an impact during his time here. Said impact was gradually dwindling, time to move on.

Now cue the doom and gloomers who will say this was just another in a carousel of meandering signings and cuts.

With carrington and Edwards I think we had our starters. If troup gets more snaps, you will have Williams splitting some snaps between the two positions I think. If we go out and get a career 34 end like Davis is too our linebackers, or a mid round pick, I think we are more then set.

That said we could use an early pick still - very likely. That would have put stroud as our 4th end, not even counting Williams possibly getting snaps.

Well, it looks like the Bills will be looking for a 3-4 DE. Dwan Edwards was the only one we had last year and he got hurt. This also indicates that the team is not going to go back to a 4-3. I really think that the defensive line is going to be the primary focus of this draft.

Because they are doing Stroud a FAVOR due to his good corporate citizenship. Those other two clowns haven't earned that kind of respect.

agreed. If you know you're going to cut a vet, the proper thing to do is to cut him sooner and let him latch on with another team. This is especially the case with the lockout coming up.

Because they are doing Stroud a FAVOR due to his good corporate citizenship. Those other two clowns haven't earned that kind of respect.

Agreed. This gives him two weeks to latch on somewhere, or the freedom to be early in free agency. Those two will at minimum be held until a paycheck is due. It's good business. Who knows, maybe a light comes on when paychecks stop with this looming lockout.

i'm a fan of Stroud.....but his skills have fallen....

besides Kyle Williams he was the ONLY other lineman pushing the pocket.

his first year with us he was getting "push" and lots of double teams.

last year he was getting "push" but was single blocked and not so good versus the run.

per roto:

.The move was not unexpected. The Stroud trade three years ago was a bad idea and the subsequent $20.5 million extension was even more ill-conceived. Stroud was due $4.5 million in 2011 on the heels of two straight years of poor run defense. The 32-year-old is not an ideal fit in the Bills' 3-4 scheme, and the team wanted to open up playing time for promising second-year end Alex Carrington. Expect Stroud to draw a look from 4-3 teams this offseason. Feb 16, 11:51:00 AM