Bills Cut Marcus Stroud

FluffHead

Plenty of great guys can't play football and Stroud is one of them. Give me more surly pro-bowl aholes on that defense who are willing to kick the Terry Bradshaws of the league in the head. Stroud has been playing on roller skates for 2 years now and he will be employed in the future on name alone. He's just done.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A hole is a hole no matter what you call it.

I'm saying for about 4 mill less a year we should have no problem getting equal or greater production. This is a pin hole, not the collapse of the Hoover damn. I'm guessing we can cover it pretty easy with some bubblegum if need be with no significant loss

It's even possible stroud was dome playing 34 end and wanted to move on. But let's be outraged at the front office ;)

Edited by NoSaint

I'm saying for about 4 mill less a year we should have no problem getting equal or greater production. This is a pin hole, not the collapse of the Hoover damn. I'm guessing we can cover it pretty easy with some bubblegum if need be with no significant loss

It's even possible stroud was dome playing 34 end and wanted to move on. But let's be outraged at the front office ;)

I am not even sure it is a hole. I mean from what I saw last year, Troup and Carrington look like they are better options anyway in this system as this point in Strouds career. So, if we have better players to play his spot, then how is it creating a hole?

Yep, just savin Ralph money. That's all it's about. Good luck, Marcus...you gave an effort and are probably better off going elsewhere.

Please tell me this is sarcasm.

cutting Stroud and the linebackers makes me think they are going to go heavy defense in the draft.

Just so long as the offseason wields us a RT, I don't care if we draft nothing BUT defensive players.

I am not even sure it is a hole. I mean from what I saw last year, Troup and Carrington look like they are better options anyway in this system as this point in Strouds career. So, if we have better players to play his spot, then how is it creating a hole?

It would be creating MUCH BIGGER holes if we let Whitner and/or Poz walk.

How does Billsfreak feel about that?

Edited by DrDankenstein

I mean, even if he is penciled in for 4th or 5th end with the plans, until we get to 53 men and he wasnt one, he had some value. Totally out of whack with his contract, but a body will be signed at DE now for sure. That all said, it was clearly the right choice.

It would be creating MUCH BIGGER holes if we let Whitner and Poz walk.

How does Billsfreak feel about that?

Yeah I agree with you. Losing one of them will be a hole that needs to definitely be addressed...losing both will really cause problems as we can only fill so many holes in an offseason.

I mean, even if he is penciled in for 4th or 5th end with the plans, until we get to 53 men and he wasnt one, he had some value. Totally out of whack with his contract, but a body will be signed at DE now for sure. That all said, it was clearly the right choice.

Sorry if it wasnt clear...I was really agreeing with you.

Yeah I agree with you. Losing one of them will be a hole that needs to definitely be addressed...losing both will really cause problems as we can only fill so many holes in an offseason.

Sorry if it wasnt clear...I was really agreeing with you.

I figured as much but as people were already arguing the point before my post I decided to elaborate for others.

If they think Spencer Johnson is better, and plan in bringing in either an end, or a tackle and kicking Williams to end.... Suddenly our 5th defensive end, an aging vet that doesn't play special teams is due 4.5 mill.

That said, again, I will not be surprised if he asked for this.

^This^

Stroud may have some gas left in the tank, but we are not a good fit for him. If he moves back to a traditional 4-3 along side another good inside guy, he can be solid. Being great seems to be behind him, and he was a problem on this team last year.

I think this shows confidence in our young guys like Troup and Carrington as well. I felt like this move was coming even during the season. He was a guy I just didnt see coming back.

As far as the 3rd pick goes, its not our ONLY pick. Every decision this team makes isnt just about the 3rd pick, we have a whole draft too people and great players can be found throughout it.

Personally, I think our draft order is going to be: (not what I am saying I want, what I think it will be)

1 - Newton

2 - Heyward

3 - LB - Our highest graded LB available

I am not sold on Newton, but I have a feeling he is the guy we take. I dont hate that pick, but I don't love it either just because he still is risky. But, sometimes to get to the next level you have to take a gamble and this kids physical talent level is worthy of the gamble.

I think Heyward will be there in the 2nd and probably the highest rated DL left on the board. Then in the 3rd we have to address LB or even an OT...whichever we have rated higher. I am guessing LB.

No on Newton. Check out this link regarding the depth on the defensive line.

Linky

If the Bill's ignore the defensive line in the first round, they are just plain dumb. Actually, they should be all over the defensive front in the first couple of rounds.

Edited by Rockinon

Agreed, he gets at least training camp to prove himself.

Maybin is only 6 months older than Von Miller. I think a lot of people forget just how YOUNG Maybin was when we drafted him. As much as I dont think he'll ever actually be good, he may just be coming around... Id give him ONE more chance (barely) and he better WOW me.

Financially I dont think it makes any sense to cut Aaron Maybin this year.....but that doesn't mean a PO'd owner wont wake up and tell his staff to get rid of him.....

At this point....I think the Bills are just flat out sick of him and if they hadn't made a financial investment he would be long gone. You can only hope that he matures big time in this offseason. But the bills aren't putting their eggs in the Maybin basket.

If the pick ends up being Von Miller......Aaron Maybin might get released in the next 10 minutes following the pick.

Financially I dont think it makes any sense to cut Aaron Maybin this year.....but that doesn't mean a PO'd owner wont wake up and tell his staff to get rid of him.....

At this point....I think the Bills are just flat out sick of him and if they hadn't made a financial investment he would be long gone. You can only hope that he matures big time in this offseason. But the bills aren't putting their eggs in the Maybin basket.

If the pick ends up being Von Miller......Aaron Maybin might get released in the next 10 minutes following the pick.

I'm a big fan of Von Miller, but I think the Bill's need another dominant force next to Kyle Williams even more. The Dline is now dangerously thin.

No on Newton. Check out this link regarding the depth on the defensive line.

Linky

If the Bill's ignore the defensive line in the first round, they are just plain dumb. Actually, they should be all over the defensive front in the first couple of rounds.

We added what look to be very solid players to our DL in the 2nd and 3rd rounds last year. This year's draft is supposed to be deeper at DL and LB. What says that we can't shore up the DL with a couple of picks in rounds 2-5?

Dont get me wrong, Im all for adding a Dareus at #3 to the mix. But there is more than one way to address the Front 7.

PER ROTOWORLD:

8/21/2009: Signed a five-year, $17.6 million contract. The deal contains $15 million guaranteed, including a $7.087 million signing bonus. Another $7.4 million is available through incentives based on playing time and sacks. 2011: $757,500, 2012: $1.12 million, 2013: $1.4825 million, 2014: $1.5 million (Voidable Year), 2015: Free Agent

1/6/11: Aaron Maybin didn't even play special teams

Former No. 11 overall pick Aaron Maybin didn't even earn a spot on the Bills' special teams in 2010."He's on the outside looking in," said coach Chan Gailey of Maybin's roster spot for 2011. "That's where he is. If he improves, he'll improve his status. But if he doesn't improve his status he won't find playing time on this football team." The Bills can cut Maybin without taking a financial hit. Well, aside from the $7.1 million signing bonus they blew on him two years ago. Jan 6, 11:27:00

PER ROTOWORLD:

8/21/2009: Signed a five-year, $17.6 million contract. The deal contains $15 million guaranteed, including a $7.087 million signing bonus. Another $7.4 million is available through incentives based on playing time and sacks. 2011: $757,500, 2012: $1.12 million, 2013: $1.4825 million, 2014: $1.5 million (Voidable Year), 2015: Free Agent

Former No. 11 overall pick Aaron Maybin didn't even earn a spot on the Bills' special teams in 2010."He's on the outside looking in," said coach Chan Gailey of Maybin's roster spot for 2011. "That's where he is. If he improves, he'll improve his status. But if he doesn't improve his status he won't find playing time on this football team." The Bills can cut Maybin without taking a financial hit. Well, aside from the $7.1 million signing bonus they blew on him two years ago. Jan 6, 11:27:00

This actually bodes well for him getting a longer look as he financially isnt any kind of risk...again though, he better show something or he wont last long in TC. He better be on Merrimans jock this whole offseason tyring to learn how to play this game we call football...

We added what look to be very solid players to our DL in the 2nd and 3rd rounds last year. This year's draft is supposed to be deeper at DL and LB. What says that we can't shore up the DL with a couple of picks in rounds 2-5?

Dont get me wrong, Im all for adding a Dareus at #3 to the mix. But there is more than one way to address the Front 7.

The problem with last year was that we were predominantly a 4-3 defense going into the draft making many of the team's defensive linemen(Stroud, Kelsay, McCargo) play positions that they never played before. We had a weak defense then and the switch to 3-4 made that even more obvious. I seriously think the Bill's are going to target the Dline "early and often" as a previous poster here mentioned. Wouldn't be surprised if 2 more picks are targeted in the early rounds. And because of the overall performance of the D last year, it just makes sense that the D will be addressed in the first round. Just like the O was first addressed last year because at that time the Offense was considered the weak side of the ball.

Where is Captain Hindsight when you need him...

I was in Class....just learning of the news now!

I will not fault the current regime. We should never have hired Dick Jauron! And Giving an extension to aging DT was foolish! We should have used that money for a player that is still on the roster today!

PER ROTOWORLD:

We should have drafted Brian Cushing!

I was in Class....just learning of the news now!

I will not fault the current regime. We should never have hired Dick Jauron! And Giving an extension to aging DT was foolish! We should have used that money for a player that is still on the roster today!

We should have drafted Brian Cushing!

:lol: Just realized your username is actually Captain Hindsight. :lol: