Bills Cut Marcus Stroud

FluffHead

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He wasn't producing like he was in 2008 but again what is the plan to replace him?

i didnt realize that a plan was needed, what is the production next year that you expected? what do we need to replace?

i really do like stroud but this isnt like losing pat williams was. the london fletcher comparison earlier was laughable.

hes played well for us before, but projecting to next year, i really think he was 4th at best in the rotation, and an easily replaced one at that. use the money and roster spot elsewhere. he was kept to buy time this last year. the plan to replace him included bringing in troup and carrington.

He was due 10 mil over the next 2 years and doesnt outplay anybody we need help there and to get help you have to have money and roster spots, good move by our front office..

Here's a suggestion, get a replacement and THEN cut him.

With a lockout just around the corner, it's not inconcievable that there will be a freeze on player movement which could lead to a free agency period that begins only weeks before the start of the season. Teams with players under contract could be at a great advantage if this happens. Unless this is about saving bonus money, this move makes zero sense at this time.

With a lockout just around the corner, it's not inconcievable that there will be a freeze on player movement which could lead to a free agency period that begins only weeks before the start of the season. Teams with players under contract could be at a great advantage if this happens. Unless this is about saving bonus money, this move makes zero sense at this time.

Replacement =carrington

No One can be released without 6 viable replacements on the roster that day?

We're approaching a draft that looks to possibly be the best DL class in years. Carrington played better than Stroud last year so its not a stretch to think he could be replaced from almost anywhere in the first 3 rounds. Upgrading Stroud's position was necessary anyways. What's the problem?

We know the coaches have been looking at film to make positional needs assessments. If they looked at the same games we've been looking at, no wonder he's been cut. Spencer Johnson outplayed Stroud most of the season, and it bodes better for a RD#1 DE.

We know the coaches have been looking at film to make positional needs assessments. If they looked at the same games we've been looking at, no wonder he's been cut. Spencer Johnson outplayed Stroud most of the season, and it bodes better for a RD#1 DE.

I find it entirely possible he was rated 4th best end not even including KW. If that's the case- how many players do you have to bring in before cutting a former starter from a former coach and scheme now without a position even - gotta bring in 5 guys? 6? Its possible coaches are thinking Carrington, Edwards and having troup kick Williams to end is 3 new players at the position. We had to wait for draft and free agency to bring in a 4th replacement for him at a position he never really owned?

I love stroud as a player, think he's a good guy. It was the right thing.

I find it entirely possible he was rated 4th best end not even including KW. If that's the case- how many players do you have to bring in before cutting a former starter from a former coach and scheme now without a position even - gotta bring in 5 guys? 6? Its possible coaches are thinking Carrington, Edwards and having troup kick Williams to end is 3 new players at the position. We had to wait for draft and free agency to bring in a 4th replacement for him at a position he never really owned?

I love stroud as a player, think he's a good guy. It was the right thing.

I dont understand all the wanting to kick out Kyle Willaims to DE. He was a beast in the middle and I watched him get triple teamed some games most notably Pittsburgh. I'm sorry hes a player and you shouldnt fix what aint broke

I dont understand all the wanting to kick out Kyle Willaims to DE. He was a beast in the middle and I watched him get triple teamed some games most notably Pittsburgh. I'm sorry hes a player and you shouldnt fix what aint broke

Just imagine how good he'd be if he wasn't playing out of position and had a huge NT eating up those triple teams. And with a big time pass rusher over his shoulder.

+1.

I think a DE will definitely be in the draft plans somewhere, but I see Carrington as getting the first shot to seize the starting position.

Yeah because its not like Stroud wasn't playing out of position and wasn't hurt all the time. I like Marcus but he's not the same player he once was and doesn't really fit our defense. This is not that big of a deal IMO.

My thoughts exactly. Stroud is not the player he once was and the scheme does not fit his talents. If the Billas are to get better they have to have players who can play the scheme very effectively.

I think this almost certainly suggests we'll be adding to our D-line in the first two rounds, and probably #1. Good. K. Williams, Carrington, and Troupe are great to build around. Add a real dynamic DE to the mix, and it could be one of the better lines moving forward for the next half decade. I really think Carrington and Troupe will be much improved next year, and will both be seen as up-and-coming by people around the league. In fact, I think Spiller is going to blow it up next year (he's the kind of player - unlike Maybin - who takes things personally, who wants to be great, and who will work to get there), and I wouldn't be surprised if our grade on the 2010 draft is much better next winter than it is now. Anyway - if we could manage a real behemoth NT and a DE, we are set on the D-line for 4 years or more. And, I think that is where you've got to start. Plus, these guys will give us schematic versatility, as Troupe and K.Williams can both play DT in a 4-3, and Carrington could play DE in a 4-3. I like the sounds of giving Wanny as much to work with as possible.

I think they'll do everything they can to get some production out of Maybin, too. I've been thinking it over, and I don't think we'll go OLB early. I think they like Moats, they have Kelsay locked (for whatever reason - I don't see why), Merriman, and Coleman will be back. Now, between Moats, Merriman, and Kelsay, they can start games. But, I think they'd like to try one more year to get Maybin playing good, because if they were to let him go, I bet there'd be five teams lining up to take him in a hurry - like NYJets, for instance, and how would we look if we let him go and then Rex Ryan grabs him cheap and turns him into a ProBowler? I hope they add as many players to our LB corps as possible, anyway - plus, guys like Quinn and Bowers might be real tempting with our 1st pick because they can line up at OLB and DE, depending on the formation.

Edited by sllib olaffub

This is the best thread I have seen in a long time...so many people ringing their hands over the fact that that Stroud has been cut, but Maybust and McCargo-bust are still on the team. Sing the House of Blues and taser Whitner for me - okay?

Yeah right, the money is good to keep the busts on the team...the same with Lee Evans, lil Donte and Kelsey - right?

This is why the Bills are going backwards instead of keeping pace with the rest of the AFC East.

It doesn't matter that these players (Maybust, McCarbust, Lee Evans, lil Donte and Kelsey) can't compete, their math is right and they are look good in the locker room. Maybe because they are good interview guys that the Bills keep them on the team..."Yeah, we need to play better.", "Yeah, it is time to step up." year after year after year...

Same ole same ole...nothing has changed at OBD. The positive additions have been negated from the subtractions that are due to the mindless use of roster spots and that the math is right.