Bills Cut Marcus Stroud

FluffHead

Too bad it had to go down this way. From all accounts he was the anti-Haynesworth and he tried his best to fit into the new scheme but it just didn't work out.

+1.

They likely wanted to give him time to catch on a 4-3 team. He's got some game left at DT in a 4-3. He tried and did what was asked of him. He gave us some good years and was a good teammate by all accounts. I wish him all the best.

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The point being that despite being on the downward slope and playing out of position he was better than whatever else we have. Now if they don't go out and bring in a free agent we'll be relying on a rookie to make an impact. I'm all for improving the team, but wait until you have a replacement before you start trimming the roster.

I'm just wondering if he had a roster bonus due for March 1.

Many contracts do this, especially older players, so the team has to either make a large financial commitment or cut them and give them a shot in the money-money-money UFA period.

Good luck elsewhere Marcus. I'm glad he was released. He is a BAD fit for the 3-4. He was our worst DL last year, by far. I'm sure he wasn't pleased about the move to 3-4 end, but he shut his mouth and manned up. I hope he is able to contribute for a contending team and feel what its like to be on a winning team and organization.

It's easy to run with this and say that Fairey, Dareus, Cam Jordan is the pick now, but i think Stroud was gone no matter who the #1 is going to be.

^This^

Stroud may have some gas left in the tank, but we are not a good fit for him. If he moves back to a traditional 4-3 along side another good inside guy, he can be solid. Being great seems to be behind him, and he was a problem on this team last year.

I think this shows confidence in our young guys like Troup and Carrington as well. I felt like this move was coming even during the season. He was a guy I just didnt see coming back.

As far as the 3rd pick goes, its not our ONLY pick. Every decision this team makes isnt just about the 3rd pick, we have a whole draft too people and great players can be found throughout it.

Personally, I think our draft order is going to be: (not what I am saying I want, what I think it will be)

1 - Newton

2 - Heyward

3 - LB - Our highest graded LB available

I am not sold on Newton, but I have a feeling he is the guy we take. I dont hate that pick, but I don't love it either just because he still is risky. But, sometimes to get to the next level you have to take a gamble and this kids physical talent level is worthy of the gamble.

I think Heyward will be there in the 2nd and probably the highest rated DL left on the board. Then in the 3rd we have to address LB or even an OT...whichever we have rated higher. I am guessing LB.

Where is Captain Hindsight when you need him...

We resigned him with dick j at the helm still? Logic says if he were here and we played the Tampa 2, stroud would still be a good fit. All that said, best case scenario he was depth, not a special teamer, on the decline, and not a good value moneywise. If Williams slides to DE on any snaps stroud would be 3.5 on the depth chart even if we assume he is better then Johnson and don't bring in anyone else. He may have even asked for the move knowing the situation.

Cutting him at this stage in our transformation has more in common with getting rid of Ellison then getting rid of poz.

Aaron Maybin should be next. Who are we kidding here? The guy is not big nor strong enough to play in the NFL. The longer he's on the Bills roster the less credibility the GM, coach, and owner have. Admit the mistake and move on.

I was calling for this early last season (and like most knew this was pretty much a given this offseason)

Carrington should have been playing......Stroud was getting pushed all over the field and Carrington was a rock when it came to run defense......the guy is simply a beast.

Did he have a way to go on pass rush? Yes.....but you could NOTICIBLY see the down linemen playing better when Carrington got into the game.

I think Carrington starts this year.....wouldn't suprise me if Darius is the pick but it also wouldnt shock me to see them go with Carrington and draft someone like Quinn or even GULP.....Von Miller

Aaron Maybin should be next. Who are we kidding here? The guy is not big nor strong enough to play in the NFL. The longer he's on the Bills roster the less credibility the GM, coach, and owner have. Admit the mistake and move on.

While I would have normally agree with you on this, I think the signing of Merriman will actually buy Maybin more time. I dont know if he will make the opening day roster, but given the relationship between the two and Nix's trust in Merriman, I think that they will give Maybin a chance to spend this offseason with Merriman and come to camp. If he cant find a way to start by the end of the preseason, I think he won't make the roster. But given Merrimans presence, I think they give the kid one last chance to make this team.

But if this kid cant start finding a way to stay on the field, he won't make it through Training Camp.

Edited by Alphadawg7

i'm a fan of Stroud.....but his skills have fallen....

besides Kyle Williams he was the ONLY other lineman pushing the pocket.

his first year with us he was getting "push" and lots of double teams.

last year he was getting "push" but was single blocked and not so good versus the run.

per roto:

.The move was not unexpected. The Stroud trade three years ago was a bad idea and the subsequent $20.5 million extension was even more ill-conceived. Stroud was due $4.5 million in 2011 on the heels of two straight years of poor run defense. The 32-year-old is not an ideal fit in the Bills' 3-4 scheme, and the team wanted to open up playing time for promising second-year end Alex Carrington. Expect Stroud to draw a look from 4-3 teams this offseason. Feb 16, 11:51:00 AM

Yep, just savin Ralph money. That's all it's about. Good luck, Marcus...you gave an effort and are probably better off going elsewhere.

While I would have normally agree with you on this, I think the signing of Merriman will actually buy Maybin more time. I dont know if he will make the opening day roster, but given the relationship between the two and Nix's trust in Merriman, I think that they will give Maybin a chance to spend this offseason with Merriman and come to camp. If he cant find a way to start by the end of the preseason, I think he won't make the roster. But given Merrimans presence, I think they give the kid one last chance to make this team.

But if this kid cant start finding a way to stay on the field, he won't make it through Training Camp.

I would say even showing he can be a contributing player or show some form of promise would get him a roster spot at the end of camp. As of right now he's shown neither.

Agreed, he gets at least training camp to prove himself.

Maybin is only 6 months older than Von Miller. I think a lot of people forget just how YOUNG Maybin was when we drafted him. As much as I dont think he'll ever actually be good, he may just be coming around... Id give him ONE more chance (barely) and he better WOW me.

The point being that despite being on the downward slope and playing out of position he was better than whatever else we have. Now if they don't go out and bring in a free agent we'll be relying on a rookie to make an impact. I'm all for improving the team, but wait until you have a replacement before you start trimming the roster.

Yeah, that's a long time problem the Bills have had. Making cuts prior to the offseason. I in no way envisioned Stroud playing for the Bills next season, but why cut him now? Did he have some kind of bonus due? What if Dwan Edwards or Carrington gets injured working out in the offseason and can't play this year? Either it's a bonus issue or pure Levy-like stupidity on their part.

(cue the "letting Stroud become a free agent early instead of in camp will make the Bills look good and help them attract free agents" crowd)