Bills Cut Marcus Stroud

FluffHead

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I was in Class....just learning of the news now!

I will not fault the current regime. We should never have hired Dick Jauron! And Giving an extension to aging DT was foolish! We should have used that money for a player that is still on the roster today!

We should have drafted Brian Cushing!

Yes! Well done! :lol:

If used correctly and not overdone, this shtick could be funny for months if not years. :thumbsup:

(too bad you wont know how long until it's too late)

I'm just wondering if he had a roster bonus due for March 1.

Many contracts do this, especially older players, so the team has to either make a large financial commitment or cut them and give them a shot in the money-money-money UFA period.

JW wrote that Stroud was due $10M over the next 2 seasons. If I'm reading this right, 3/1/11 he was owed $5.5M and 3/1/12, it was to be $4.5M.

Stroud’s departure was not considered a surprise after the 10-year NFL veteran struggled in making the transition in Buffalo’s switch to a 3-4 defensive scheme. Stroud was scheduled to make $10 million in base salary over the final two years of his contract, including $4.5 million next season.

This actually bodes well for him getting a longer look as he financially isnt any kind of risk...again though, he better show something or he wont last long in TC. He better be on Merrimans jock this whole offseason tyring to learn how to play this game we call football...

Yeah thats kind of what I was driving at......he has basically gotten the bulk of his money already....so it isnt like cutting him will offer any real savings.

Maybe he can fetch gatorade for the real players?

Great. Makes defensive line even more of a need. I really hope they're planning on bringing someone in during free agency.

Hope you are joking.. 48 games and 7 1/2 sacks? We can do better.. much better.

The point being that despite being on the downward slope and playing out of position he was better than whatever else we have. Now if they don't go out and bring in a free agent we'll be relying on a rookie to make an impact. I'm all for improving the team, but wait until you have a replacement before you start trimming the roster.

He is absolutely not better than anything else we have. Carrington is not a rookie and neither is Spencer. Do you even watch the games?

I just got the text from the Bills. I cant say im too suprised, he was pretty bad last year.

That leaves us with Williams, Troup, Carrington, and Edwards (and Spencer Johnson I guess.). Hopefully we bail on Kelsay too and use those money allocated to those two guys and poney up for Sioli. The we are a top draft pick away from a very stout DL.

DE: Williams/Carrington

NG: Sioli/Troupe/Williams(pass rusing NG)

DE: 1st Round pick/Edwards.

:flirt:

Nothing shocking and completely expected in my opinion.

Besides clearing cap money and making room for new guys what REALLY REALLY gets me optimistic is the thought that Williams might make a full time move to DE this year in the 3 - 4. He can still situationally play NT if the Bills jump out to big leads on teams when attacking the QB and getting into the backfield are more important for a NT :devil:

I used to dog the Bills for having to play this late round pick but the guy is the little engine that could. He made a probowl this year and has developed into a great penetrator and play maker. That being said he is not a 2 gap run stuffing NT.

With carrington and Edwards I think we had our starters. If troup gets more snaps, you will have Williams splitting some snaps between the two positions I think. If we go out and get a career 34 end like Davis is too our linebackers, or a mid round pick, I think we are more then set.

That said we could use an early pick still - very likely. That would have put stroud as our 4th end, not even counting Williams possibly getting snaps.

There's a whole lot of "if" in there.

(cue the "letting Stroud become a free agent early instead of in camp will make the Bills look good and help them attract free agents" crowd)

Yeah when is all this acquired goodwill going to start paying dividends for the Bills? I keep waiting for it to happen and it never seems to.

There's a whole lot of "if" in there.

yea, a wide variety of ways to replace him, not a long sequence of events required to replace him. these were "or" statements, not "and" statements. big difference.

if we get a DT, KW is an end

if we get an end in the draft

if we get one in free agency

if troup gets a solid number of snaps, KW gets more snaps at end

oh yea, and IF the front office likes spencer johnson more, that would make him the 4th end, regardless of any of those. its very possible any of those ifs are what make him 5th on the DE depth chart, and probably not making the team anyway.

oh yea, and one last thing before we bash the front office -- what if stroud didnt want to be here?

Edited by NoSaint

oh yea, and one last thing before we bash the front office -- what if stroud didnt want to be here?

Well he's under contract. Shut up and play. I'm kind of sick of the front office bending over backwards to pave the way out of town for disgruntled players.

This very well might end up being a positive move, but I wish I believed it was anything more than a way to save Ralph Wilson a few bucks, yet again.

Well he's under contract. Shut up and play. I'm kind of sick of the front office bending over backwards to pave the way out of town for disgruntled players.

This very well might end up being a positive move, but I wish I believed it was anything more than a way to save Ralph Wilson a few bucks, yet again.

why would letting a guy you might not believe is going to make the team leave at this point if you both agree he isnt a good fit "bending over backwards"

if all he was going to be was a warm body, let a guy who has been nothing but class take care of himself.

what contribution did you see him making to the team this year? short of about 3 injuries, i dont think he got playing time. he was going to eat cash (there will be a cap) and a roster spot for little to no gain.

Edited by NoSaint

Too bad it had to go down this way. From all accounts he was the anti-Haynesworth and he tried his best to fit into the new scheme but it just didn't work out.

He wasn't producing like he was in 2008 but again what is the plan to replace him?