Haynesworth Demands Trade

FLFan

• Replies 105
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i remember the days of people complaining about London Fletcher and the old 'he makes tackles ten yards downfield'. Hindsight is 20-20, but that guy has got to be one of the top 10 players to have ever played the game considering enthusiasm, durability, athleticism, heart, span of career, and leadership by example. good for him.

haynesworth is who he is, and if not this, something else. he is not london fletcher.

You are definitely correct. He is not London Fletcher. In this case London has his teammates' backs.

I don't think Shanahan said they would release him before April 1st, just that he could search for a team willing to trade for him.

I have no sympathy for Albert. He plays a sport for a living, and was awarded one of the biggest contracts given in the league. Now he is crying cause the new position they are asking him to play won't allow him to get big stats like he has in the past. Whaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

If you are making that kind of money, it shouldn't matter if they ask you to play QB or kicker. its a team GAME that you are being paid more then Doctors, and teachers, and Police officers, and Soldiers and other occupations that are more important to society then DT on a football team.

The prime example of whats wrong with professional sports, and why there may be no NFL next year.

Guy just made 34 million dollars in 13 months and now he want to be traded. Shut up and do what you are asked and stop being a little sally about it.

+1. You can't pull this crap in other jobs. And other jobs don't pay that $$.

Sorry guys, but that's a load of crap. He is suited to play NT just fine. He just doesn't want to play NT because he won't have as many stats. He's a selfish POS and I'd feel sorry for the team that bought into his hype --- if it wasn't the Redskins.

+1,000

+1. You can't pull this crap in other jobs. And other jobs don't pay that $$.

You will get the response of "you cant compare the NFL" to any other business. Which is a load of crap.

Another of a long list of screw ups by the Redskins. I hope the Shanahan and Mcnabb signings blow up in their face also. I guess I can't blame either one for not wanting to sign with Buffalo, but I'll derive some happiness watching them fail.

I was reading through a few threads from last February when there was a lot of discussion about signing Haynesworth as a free agent.

There were lots of people who wanted to sign this piece of shyt. In fact there are two people in this thread who wanted to sign Haynesworth.

To me, it was very clear a year ago that Haynesworth is a money-grubbing, me-first, team-second, piece of shyt. He's had a spotty history going back to college and he's had little incidents about every other year in his career, on and off the field.

But some people really wanted to sign the guy.

i remember the days of people complaining about London Fletcher and the old 'he makes tackles ten yards downfield'. Hindsight is 20-20, but that guy has got to be one of the top 10 players to have ever played the game considering enthusiasm, durability, athleticism, heart, span of career, and leadership by example. good for him.

haynesworth is who he is, and if not this, something else. he is not london fletcher.

I really liked Fletcher and think he is grossly underrated...but top 10 players all time is a bit extreme. He isnt even in the top 10 players at his position let alone top 10 players ever. He was and is a great LB who deserves substantially more credit than he gets...but lets not get too carried away :mellow:

What a difference between this piece of S..t and some of our own Bills. We switch to a 3-4 and you see Stroud, who has not played DE come to OTAs having lost weight so he can transition to a new position. We move Kelsey from DE, which he wasn't that good at, to OLB, he takes it in stride and will bust his ass to make the transition. Kyle Williams goes to the probowl as an alternate as a DT, we draft a natural NT, who will take some plays from Williams, yet we haven't heard Williams B word a bit.

Ummm... What about Aaron Schobel? How's he taken it?

I generally mildly support the players in cases like this, but Shanahan's revelation that they offered to let him go if they didn't have to pay the $21 mill this year, man, that changes everything for me.

He wants the money, and yet he doesn't want to play even after he got the money. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

What a jerk Haynesworth is.

Ummm... What about Aaron Schobel? How's he taken it?

Schobel hasn't done anything wrong at all. He just wants to retire, it looks like. I'm sure he's not thrilled with the new defense, but he's not causing trouble, he's just retiring.

What a difference between this piece of S..t and some of our own Bills. We switch to a 3-4 and you see Stroud, who has not played DE come to OTAs having lost weight so he can transition to a new position. We move Kelsey from DE, which he wasn't that good at, to OLB, he takes it in stride and will bust his ass to make the transition. Kyle Williams goes to the probowl as an alternate as a DT, we draft a natural NT, who will take some plays from Williams, yet we haven't heard Williams B word a bit.

We may not win as many games this year as we all want them to, but I really like the attitude of a lot of our players. In the immortal words of Darryl Talley, "This is a team dammit!"

'Team Dammit!'

hmmm.. Good moniker!

Darth, Nice comment. Most people don't have a friggin clue. All they can come up with is statements like....."If they paid me XXX amount of dollars to play a kids game, I would shut up and take it like a man. Not many can look outside of their own box. Good stuff.

Your comment might not be quite so retarded if he hadn't taken the $20 million bonus knowing full damn well they were switching to a 3-4. Good stuff though!! :mellow:

Schobel hasn't done anything wrong at all. He just wants to retire, it looks like. I'm sure he's not thrilled with the new defense, but he's not causing trouble, he's just retiring.

Not to mention Schobel didn't just cash a $21MM bonus check two months ago.

What were the Skins thinking giving AH that kind of money without getting an explicit assurance that he would play anywhere they wanted him?

I don't understand what Buddy is waiting for...switch back to the 4-3 and get 'er done!

Maybe Buddy did try to do something (though I doubt it). According to Jason LaConfora, a 3-4 team (unnamed) showed strong interest in Albert, who apparently vetoed any discussions even though they agreed to line him up as a DE, not NT.

In Albert's mind I'm sure that the issue of his 20M bonus is quite independent from any assurances he may have received concerning the position he would be playing. As a purely contractual matter he is almost certainly right. He probably feels besides that he would have gotten the same money from somebody else who would not be messing with his game - so why would he pass up what he was legally entitled to because of something they decided to do? Not defending Albert, but imprudent owners wind up getting what they deserve.

Who was saying how much better the Washington front office is than Buffalo? C'mon. Don't be shy.

PTR

I'll step up. I thought they were and still do. At least they are trying, and appear to have accomplished what they set out to in the offseason- they signed a big name championship winning coach, traded for a pro bowl qb and drafted a LT in the first round to anchor their weak line- all things I wish the Bills had done. I wonder how many people on this board would like the Bills to have picked up Shanahan as HC, McNabb at QB and Williams at OT?

Have they made some mistakes? Yes, and Haynesworth looks like he may be at the top of the list, but at least they are trying... and money is no object. Eventually, they will get it right and leave teams that try to do things on the cheap in the dust.

Other than Albert being a fat POS, there's one thing that hasn't been said:

We've only heard from the foreskins that they gave Albert the option to go elsewhere or take the money. How do we even know if that is true? I haven't heard any reporters look into that or ask the Fat Albert camp to confirm it. That could just be the foreskins saying this now to cover up for the fact they screwed up royally.

I'll step up. I thought they were and still do. At least they are trying, and appear to have accomplished what they set out to in the offseason- they signed a big name championship winning coach, traded for a pro bowl qb and drafted a LT in the first round to anchor their weak line- all things I wish the Bills had done. I wonder how many people on this board would like the Bills to have picked up Shanahan as HC, McNabb at QB and Williams at OT?

Have they made some mistakes? Yes, and Haynesworth looks like he may be at the top of the list, but at least they are trying... and money is no object. Eventually, they will get it right and leave teams that try to do things on the cheap in the dust.

Because you don't follow the Redskins you give them a mulligan for Haynesworth (and the dozen other big splash moves that blew up in their faces) because they were "trying." Yet if it was the Bills it would be just another sign of how blindingly incompetent we are. I think there is a double-standard here. Do you really think the Redskins are a better team with their AARP-eligible roster?

PTR

I really liked Fletcher and think he is grossly underrated...but top 10 players all time is a bit extreme. He isnt even in the top 10 players at his position let alone top 10 players ever. He was and is a great LB who deserves substantially more credit than he gets...but lets not get too carried away :mellow:

check out the qualifying criteria. honestly dawg it was for effect, opinion-based and i'd challenge you to prove me wrong based on the criteria provided. at the same time, i'd challenge me to prove you wrong. we were cool at "I really like Fletcher and think he is grossly underrrated".

there is a point on that side... but players change positions all the time. theyre not asking him to change to the offensive side of the ball. Stroud isnt pissing and moaning about our change. for $100mil, go play where ever they ask you to.

I've heard Stroud say in past years that he would want to play DE in a 3-4 and didn't like th eidea of playing NT in it. If Haynesworth could/would play DE he might have something different to say. Not to defend him, because he sucks, but he probably doesn't want to answer press conference questions every day about why he isn't producing big numbers, while he's being asked to play a no-stat position. On top of that, he probably would rather play a penetration style, which isn't what they're looking for.

It's interesting to note that in our transition to the 3-4, no one is really complaining (not that they should or anyone would care if they did). K Williams isn't a great fit at NT, but apparently they are going to scheme around him. Why the hell wouldn't the Redskins make it known right off the bat that they were going to find the best ways to use players? Sounds like they are trying to use the old square peg in a round hole method on defense during the transition period. I personally like the idea of coaching staffs actually coaching and scheming to players strengths rather than marginalizing a good player because they don't fit in what the coaches know and have done.

I've heard Stroud say in past years that he would want to play DE in a 3-4 and didn't like th eidea of playing NT in it. If Haynesworth could/would play DE he might have something different to say. Not to defend him, because he sucks, but he probably doesn't want to answer press conference questions every day about why he isn't producing big numbers, while he's being asked to play a no-stat position. On top of that, he probably would rather play a penetration style, which isn't what they're looking for.

It's interesting to note that in our transition to the 3-4, no one is really complaining (not that they should or anyone would care if they did). K Williams isn't a great fit at NT, but apparently they are going to scheme around him. Why the hell wouldn't the Redskins make it known right off the bat that they were going to find the best ways to use players? Sounds like they are trying to use the old square peg in a round hole method on defense during the transition period. I personally like the idea of coaching staffs actually coaching and scheming to players strengths rather than marginalizing a good player because they don't fit in what the coaches know and have done.

I don't have any sympathy for a guy who is getting paid $100 million dollars and doesn't show up for work because he doesn't want to answer to the media. His answer could easily be: I'm doing what the coaching staff is asking me to do. And he is going to be asked a lot more pointed questions if he continues to be a no show.

I also think it's premature to say that the coaching staff is at fault. In any line of work, if your boss asks you to do something, you try it. If you've made a good faith attempt, and if you have a good boss, they'll figure something else out if it's not working. But c'mon, at least give it a shot.

There are a few erroneous posts in this thread, but this one takes the cake. LF, while a fan favorite and decent player, is nowhere near a top 10 player of anything. He works hard and tries, which are great things to do, but I think I could name 10 players currently playing at his position that I would take on my team before him at any point in his career, let alone now. In fact, if Poz doesn't get hurt this year, I would move him past LF as well.

What were the Skins thinking giving AH that kind of money without getting an explicit assurance that he would play anywhere they wanted him?

He has a signed contract that he continued to honor when he took the bonus money this spring. What more assurance can you possibly expect? Should they have had mirrors in the room to make sure his fingers weren't crossed behind his back?

Haynesworth has a signed contract. He knows full well the Skins are switching defenses. He accepted the bonus, meaning he plans to continue playing. But, now he changes his mind? As stated, he want his cake and wants to eat it too.

He has a signed contract that he continued to honor when he took the bonus money this spring. What more assurance can you possibly expect? Should they have had mirrors in the room to make sure his fingers weren't crossed behind his back?

In a word, "yes". Haynesworth had already made noise about the 3-4 issue. If this is all a surprise to the Redskins, they are an incompetent bunch.

Of course, they are also totally in the right and I hope they get back every penny from that fat POS.

Haynesworth has a signed contract. He knows full well the Skins are switching defenses. He accepted the bonus, meaning he plans to continue playing. But, now he changes his mind? As stated, he want his cake and wants to eat it too.

Like I've said before, players like Haynesworth are teh reason there is going to be a lockout in the NFL.

Long contracts are the worst thing to happen to professional sports. They get their 3-4 year rookie deal, work their tail off oin year 3&4 put up nice stats get that 6-7 year deal become complacent, and collect their millions of dollars, only to again put out their best effort in year 7 to only again collect their last big check, and again become complacent.

Stopping the guranteed money portion is one of the only things that will stop the "Haynesworth's" of the NFL.

Haynesworth is totally in the wrong on this one. Reportedly Danny boy told him last year that he'd never have to play NT. Well when Shanny came aboard, he joined with the intent to move to a 3-4. Haynesworth knew this, was told he could seek a trade but didn't, and took the $21M bonus. Now he's sitting-out and the Skins are trying to recoup some/all of his bonus. However I hope they fail to get any bonus money out of him.

Who cares about the Redskins changing their defense or not?? Haynesworth really thinks its reasonable to sign a multi-year deal and be guaranteed that his role will never change?

What a joke!

Sure Albert....here's $100MM. And since that is not enough, we cross-our-heart pinky-promise that the exact same coaching staff and scheme will remain static for the better part of a decade. Just as long as you're happy. :mellow:

Bottom line: The guy wanted "Snyder Money" and could have given two-***** about his "role" when he signed on the dotted line at exactly 12:00:01 midnight on Free Agency day 2009. !@#$ him.

Of course, they are also totally in the right and I hope they get back every penny from that fat POS.

Like I've said before, players like Haynesworth are teh reason there is going to be a lockout in the NFL.

As I see it, something's got to give. NFL contracts have essentially become useless. Owners can back out whenever they want; and now players are backing out whenever they want. Hayneswortth is just one of the most talked about recently due to the amount of money; but look at Revis. He signs a long term contract. The Jets think theye've done well. One good season and lots of great press; and now Revis demands to be the highest paid DB in the league. Nevermind that he still has 3 yrs left on his contract. Similar situation with Peters and a dozen other guys we could mention.

Of course on the flip side, teams want to back load the contract so they can dump a player after a few years and never give him the big payout. And, more often than not, they do just that.

It just seems the contracts have become useless. No one, player or team, seems to honor them. The only way I see out is to make contracts, ya know, actual binding documents. Players have to play out their contracts and teams have to pay out the contracts. Knowing that you have to pay 100% might make owners think about these huge long-term deals. And by the same token, knowing they can't demand trades might make players think twice about sitting out.

of course, you'll always have players sign contracts ane then never live up to expectations. But, that's just part of life. Nothing can ever be guaranteed; its the nature of free agency. Which is why building a team with big name, high priced FAs has never been the way to build a team.

It's just a mess.

One good season and lots of great press; and now Revis demands to be the highest paid DB in the league. Nevermind that he still has 3 yrs left on his contract.

It's just a mess.

In an honest world, He's be flagged 3 times for pass interference - minimum - per game... :mellow:

There are a few erroneous posts in this thread, but this one takes the cake. LF, while a fan favorite and decent player, is nowhere near a top 10 player of anything. He works hard and tries, which are great things to do, but I think I could name 10 players currently playing at his position that I would take on my team before him at any point in his career, let alone now. In fact, if Poz doesn't get hurt this year, I would move him past LF as well.

i'm not sure what cake you're selling buffjeez, or what beef you have with fletcher, but you could use some work on your reading comprehension. "works hard and tries"? you wanna move poz past him when one of the specific criteria i mentioned was durability? really? i suppose if you removed missed games due to broken bones from the whole durability issue that makes sense. no offense dude, but poz missed more games in one three game stretch than fletcher missed since bill clinton was not having sex with monica lewinsky.

here are just a couple random stats on the little engine who tries hard:

After this Sunday he will have 192 consecutive games played which is the second most ever by an inside LB (Marvcus Patton had 208).

Over 1300 total tackles since 2000 which is nearly 200 more than Ray Lewis who has the second most from 2000-2009.

One of 4 active players and one of 13 players all-time with 30 sacks and 15 interceptions.

One of 11 players to have 5.5 sacks and 4 INTs in the same season.

Only player with at least 100 tackles in every season since 2000

solidly average indeed. the guy is a leader, and always has been.

The Redskins did promise him they would play a certain way. Why do coaches have to be so married to their systems? AH is at his best in a 4-3. Why mess with it? Plus, AH did step on someone's head and basically only played hard in a contract year. The Skins are morons for giving him all that money in the first place.

When Haynesworth made it clear that he didn't want to play in a 3-4 defensive system he had a meeting with Shanahan. Shanahan told Haynesworth that if he didn't want to play in the 3-4 with the Skins he and his agent could go out and make a deal for himself. The condition that Shanahan placed on Haynesworthless was that it had to be done by April 1 prior to when the bonus kicked in. In addition, Shanahan had a deal with Haynesworthless that if he couldn't make a deal for himself and then took the bonus from the team he would be required to go along with the Skin's program. Haynesworthless agreed. He couldn't get a trade worked out with any team and then took the $21 million bonus. The organization expected that the Haynesworhtless saga was over since he took the money without making a deal with any other team.

As it turned out Haybesworthless stayed away from the training facilites and kept the $$$. He simply lied and outhustled the organization. The Skins gave the selfish DT a ridiculous upfront contract that made them very vulnerable to his whims. They got what they deserved.

But Snyder is a great owner, right? He spends money on the best coaches and players? And has a great new stadium? And charges the highest ticket prices?

Long contracts are the worst thing to happen to professional sports. They get their 3-4 year rookie deal, work their tail off oin year 3&4 put up nice stats get that 6-7 year deal become complacent, and collect their millions of dollars, only to again put out their best effort in year 7 to only again collect their last big check, and again become complacent.

Stopping the guranteed money portion is one of the only things that will stop the "Haynesworth's" of the NFL.

Don't blame Haynesworth for the extravagant contract. The owner and organization put the contract together and offered it to the malingering DT. The way the contract was structured with up front money was foolish and risky. It was a bad contract for a very well known bad actor. The organization got hustled by a player they aggressively recruited. The organization is certainly wronged. I shed no tears for their foolishness.

But Snyder is a great owner, right? He spends money on the best coaches and players? And has a great new stadium? And charges the highest ticket prices?

What is your point? I never said he was a great owner. I never said he spent wisely on coaches and players. In fact, I have stated the opposite. With respect to his stadium he is paying for it, not the taxpayers . Why would you complain about that?

As I stated in a prior posting you make up responses attributed to me and then you make your misguided points off of the false attribution. Neeraj being Neeraj. :unsure: