Chris Brown - Bills "Reporter"

Chris Brown of BB.com is now getting his news from espn rumor central. This is in regards to the bills being interested in Flozell Adams. This is pretty pathetic reporting, he seems to be getting worst with age. Does he have no connections with the front office or is he just being lazy? Lately I think the singer might have better info about the bills.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Since Chris posts on the official Buffalo Bills site, I think it's unlikely he enjoys true journalistic "freedom" concerning content. I also doubt the Bills call him with unreported tips.

Chris Brown of BB.com is now getting his news from espn rumor central. This is in regards to the bills being interested in Flozell Adams. This is pretty pathetic reporting, he seems to be getting worst with age. Does he have no connections with the front office or is he just being lazy? Lately I think the singer might have better info about the bills.

Slow day at work, huh? :P

Since Chris posts on the official Buffalo Bills site, I think it's unlikely he enjoys true journalistic "freedom" concerning content. I also doubt the Bills call him with unreported tips.

Remember when CB was a real reporter with his own publication. Then he went out of business? Oh, wait... :P

What exactly are you complaining about - that he has not written about something that you believe is happening behind the scenes ? Perhaps he is waiting for something real to happen ? Writing about rumors isn't really reporting.

From his blog, he writes "ESPN Rumor Central looks to be speculating more than anything else, but they believe a veteran free agent offensive tackle could be pegged." He is merely commenting on what has appeared on Rumor Central. He did not state it as a news item. If there is a specific item of his you want to criticize, please link it.

What exactly are you complaining about - that he has not written about something that you believe is happening behind the scenes ? Perhaps he is waiting for something real to happen ? Writing about rumors isn't really reporting. If there is a specific item of his you want to criticize, please link it.

+1

Plus i dont see how reporting a rumor heard from a trusted source ESPN, leads to him sucking. Im sure he is told and has a strict schedule on what to do.

Yeah, Chris Brown, the Buffalo Bills official reporter, should have told us all before the draft that the Bills were locked into Spiller at 9, the interest in Tebow was strictly a smoke screen, and they weren't planning on taking a QB early.

That would have made his bosses happy.

Just to make sure I've got this straight, Brown isn't allowed to comment on what other outlets may be reporting? Kind of thought that was part of the reason for the blog, which is separate and distinct from the stories and videos he produces for bb.com and Bills Digest. I may have some issues with the overall idea of team-affiliated writers, but I see nothing wrong with this blog post.

And Buddy isn't going to call you. Sorry.

I respect Brown because he's the offical Bills reporter. But I never liked him and I never cared for anything he's had to say about the team. He's fairly boring as a reporter and only reports things we already know. He's even a fairly poor interviewer. I suppose he's bound by strict rules, seeing how he's employed by the Bills and is probably just a puppet. He's just the face the Bills use to put out their censored and scripted Bills material.

He works for the front office.

Small point.

C'mon... give Chris a break. he's not a reporter... he's a messenger... He's sort of a scaled down version of Scott Berchtold. Buffalobills.com is propaganda. It's all peaches and cream there. So, don't go looking for "dirt" or the real deal there.

C'mon... give Chris a break. he's not a reporter... he's a messenger... He's sort of a scaled down version of Scott Berchtold. Buffalobills.com is propaganda. It's all peaches and cream there. So, don't go looking for "dirt" or the real deal there.

I don't mind that BB.com puts a smiley face on everything (it is just another source of information). They have a good site and were one of the first to put a really good NFL team site together.

Alot of his stuff is on a positive slant but his game day blogs have been fairly critical. The Tennessee game in particular was especially harsh and it should have been because the Bills had a bad day. He is better than you give him credit for and you should congratulate yourself on how many people have looked at this and commented which is basically what you criticize him for.

He is just a mouthpiece for the front office.

He's not some sort of real journalist, he just kind of says what Russ and the boys tell him to say.

I don't blame him or anything, that's his job. If he was unbiased he'd get fired.

You have to take it easy on Brown.

He is not a reporter. He is a Bills voice box. He is a fan representative on the inner workins at OBD, but not a reporter.

He collects his paycheck from the team. He is never going to say anything outright negative, or create discord amongst fans questioning a decision. You know, alot like the sporting media before the steroid scandal in baseball. Andro what? They all had priveledges that included club house access. Those writers were not going to lose those perks by actually doing their jobs.

I, personally, just find his reports boring and lacking any kind of energy whatsoever.

Chris Brown is that guy from high school who wanted to hang out with the football guys so much that he "joined" the team by becoming the equipment manager. Nobody on the team talks to him, but he gets to tell his friend the lunch lady how him and the guys have to go on a road trip or stay late for practice.

He's not some sort of real journalist, he just kind of says what Russ and the boys tell him to say.

I don't blame him or anything, that's his job. If he was unbiased he'd get fired.

He is the official "Buffalo Shill." And by that I mean no disrespect whatsoever. I had always assumed his "reports" were carefully crafted, and produced by the front office.

I think the guy has a cool job. Travels with the team, attends the practices, attends the games, combine, owners meetings, gets to know the players. Hell, I'd gladly do it.

chris brown is a paid bills employee; there is NO objectivity. that's not an indictment of him in any way, but he writes what the bills want him to write, and if he doesn't they will find someone who will.

this is like the sunday sports announcers; they work for their team, or the NFL, not the fan. that's why they use such glowing terms in describing everything. they cannot be objective, they are paid by the team!

i am a huge sports fan, but sometimes it's just a business. chris brown is part of the business; take whatever he says as such.

Chris Brown is that guy from high school who wanted to hang out with the football guys so much that he "joined" the team by becoming the equipment manager. Nobody on the team talks to him, but he gets to tell his friend the lunch lady how him and the guys have to go on a road trip or stay late for practice.

Well, at least it beats posting on TSW about how tiny bikini's are manly... :rolleyes:

In The Lord of the Rings, one of the characters had forgotten his own name. Instead he went by the name of "The Mouth of Sauron."

Maybe a year or two ago, we should have given Chris Brown the label, "The Mouth of Jauron." :rolleyes:

Alot of his stuff is on a positive slant but his game day blogs have been fairly critical. The Tennessee game in particular was especially harsh and it should have been because the Bills had a bad day. He is better than you give him credit for and you should congratulate yourself on how many people have looked at this and commented which is basically what you criticize him for.

Hey Chris how ya doing? Are you going to have your own Q & A on tbd like Tim Graham?

• 3 years later...

What's the purpose of this guy? His title claims he is the "Lead Journalist" of the official Buffalo Bills website, yet I don't think he has ever once broken a story. It seems like he just searches the web to find what info has been found out by other sources, then writes a piece around it. He seems to be much more damage control than journalist.

Here's a recent example:

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2013/10/13/report-fa-qb-matt-flynn-in-buffalo/

He sites a tweet from someone else who was at the airport when Matt Flynn landed. Brown doesn't add a single thing in his article to even suggest that Flynn is there for a workout with the Bills. Per Brown, "Reports of free agent QB Matt Flynn’s presence in Buffalo is fueling speculation that the Bills are looking for more alternatives at the position."

Of course, they aren't going to include a journalist in any personnel discussions, but to keep a leash on him even after info is out there seems to lessen any credibility an official team reporter has. To not let him even affirm that Flynn was in for a workout?

I guess you do have to hand it to the front office, as it appears they are pretty good at keeping their intentions secret.

he works for the Bills, so he is more of PR guy than anything else. Not an objective "journalist" although he may be one by trade. He is more access than anyone else I presume, to interviews of players and staff, practices, etc. But he is not a real "reporter" at least in this current role.

Not a big fan of Brown (though not a hater either) but you know, he has sort of intimted things in the past, without reporting them as fact...he was the first person I ever heard strongly suggest that the Bills had their sights on EJ Manuel this past draft.

Pretty much every pro-sports team has a guy like Brown on their staff. There is so much information and mis-infromation on the internet these days, not sure why he would bother anyone so much.

What's the purpose of this guy? His title claims he is the "Lead Journalist" of the official Buffalo Bills website, yet I don't think he has ever once broken a story. It seems like he just searches the web to find what info has been found out by other sources, then writes a piece around it. He seems to be much more damage control than journalist.

Here's a recent example:

http://blogs.buffalo...ynn-in-buffalo/

He sites a tweet from someone else who was at the airport when Matt Flynn landed. Brown doesn't add a single thing in his article to even suggest that Flynn is there for a workout with the Bills. Per Brown, "Reports of free agent QB Matt Flynn’s presence in Buffalo is fueling speculation that the Bills are looking for more alternatives at the position."

Of course, they aren't going to include a journalist in any personnel discussions, but to keep a leash on him even after info is out there seems to lessen any credibility an official team reporter has. To not let him even affirm that Flynn was in for a workout?

I guess you do have to hand it to the front office, as it appears they are pretty good at keeping their intentions secret.

For that matter, when was the last time a local beat reporter broke any story? The national guys always know who the Bills have hired, released or traded for long before anyone in the supposed know ever has an inkling anything is going down.

Not a big fan of Brown (though not a hater either) but you know, he has sort of intimted things in the past, without reporting them as fact...he was the first person I ever heard strongly suggest that the Bills had their sights on EJ Manuel this past draft.

Pretty much every pro-sports team has a guy like Brown on their staff. There is so much information and mis-infromation on the internet these days, not sure why he would bother anyone so much.

Right, he doesn't bother me at all.... I like his insight on the team when he is on WGR on Mondays and his contributions to the website. He releases the official info from the team, without providing opinion,but people just need to know who signs his checks so you aren't going to get much criticism of the team or rumors.