another classic moronic statement from Mort

Apparently Ralph Wilson is getting his just desserts due to his "impatience" after his firing of Mort's buddy Tom Donahue after five awful years, and the firing of Dick Jauron after four awful years.

"I'm not afraid to say this...but, when you're (Ralph Wilson) impatient, like he has been, this (mediocrity) is what you get. You've had too many changes..."

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/clubhouse?team=buf

But it's ok when the Jets fire Mangini after having a winning record with 2 out of 3 winning seasons, plus a playoff birth...and the Dolphins fire a head coach after one year. Having well founded criticisms is one thing, calling Ralph impatient is like calling Mort unbiased. What a jerk this guy is, unbelievable that he's still employed with this kind of hack job stuff.

what is about ESPN and the bills? it has been a constant for a while now. by no means am i condoning the ineptitude at one bills drive, but they seem to have specific love affairs , i e : favre, jerry jones, snyder and the skins, and bash the bills at their convenience. not very creative, but like i am sure lots on here will say, winning will cure it.

what is about ESPN and the bills? it has been a constant for a while now. by no means am i condoning the ineptitude at one bills drive, but they seem to have specific love affairs , i e : favre, jerry jones, snyder and the skins, and bash the bills at their convenience. not very creative, but like i am sure lots on here will say, winning will cure it.

ESPN is not a news organization. It is entertainment masking itself as news. The Bills are an easy target and that makes their jobs easier. How many stories appear on ESPN that entirely articles about ANOTHER reporter's article on ESPN? The Bills make for nice target for them to "report" the "news" which is mostly their opinion.

Then they chat up another reporter at ESPN and they have a 'source' that is 'familiar with the situation' or 'close to the player/coach/etc'.

ESPN is about ratings. Ratings mean money. Ratings are aatined by getting people to watch. Dallas, Washington, New York and Boston have large populaitons with loyalty to their football teams and thereby equate to more people who CAN watch so by focusing on this cities, more people WILL watch, hence ratings go up, ad revenue increases and capitalism survives.

My guess is, in an attempt to act like they are not in bed with the NFL and to somehow try and put up a front of unbiased commentary, they have no problem slamming a small market team like the Bills because the loss of potential viewers in minimal.

Or put another way, when was the last time you can remember a concerted, sustained slamming of a team on par with the Bills that resided in say a 10 top market? Hasn't happened and wouldn't. The NFL has significantg power and some individual owners have power as well to control and manipulate the media and ESPN. Access to players and personnel is one way to control the media. Threats to cut off advertising is another.

So the bottonline is, like everything, follow the money. The NFL as a game is fun for 3 hours 16 times a year (since we don't make the playoffs we have to accept just 16!!), the commentary and business of the NFL is a disgusting travesty. To be honest, I get read nothing and watch nothing that's not reporting, like scores. I haven't watched an NFL pre or post game show in 10 years. I don't watch ESPN. In don't read Jerry Sullivan's or anyone else's columns.

But I will read on this board what idiots say about the Bills and chime in!!!!!!

Oh, and I have to agree, Ralph's problem is his medlling and cheapness, 100%. He's old and off his rocker to boot. The guy is basically the old dude Elaine dated in a Seinfeld episode and had to feed Yankee bean soup to! The reason why Mort didn't slam the Dolphins or Jets for their inpatience was...... it worked!

WINNING CURES EVERYTHING!

ESPN is about ratings. Ratings mean money. Ratings are aatined by getting people to watch. Dallas, Washington, New York and Boston have large populaitons with loyalty to their football teams and thereby equate to more people who CAN watch so by focusing on this cities, more people WILL watch, hence ratings go up, ad revenue increases and capitalism survives.

My guess is, in an attempt to act like they are not in bed with the NFL and to somehow try and put up a front of unbiased commentary, they have no problem slamming a small market team like the Bills because the loss of potential viewers in minimal.

Or put another way, when was the last time you can remember a concerted, sustained slamming of a team on par with the Bills that resided in say a 10 top market? Hasn't happened and wouldn't. The NFL has significantg power and some individual owners have power as well to control and manipulate the media and ESPN. Access to players and personnel is one way to control the media. Threats to cut off advertising is another.

So the bottonline is, like everything, follow the money. The NFL as a game is fun for 3 hours 16 times a year (since we don't make the playoffs we have to accept just 16!!), the commentary and business of the NFL is a disgusting travesty. To be honest, I get read nothing and watch nothing that's not reporting, like scores. I haven't watched an NFL pre or post game show in 10 years. I don't watch ESPN. In don't read Jerry Sullivan's or anyone else's columns.

But I will read on this board what idiots say about the Bills and chime in!!!!!!

Oh, and I have to agree, Ralph's problem is his medlling and cheapness, 100%. He's old and off his rocker to boot. The guy is basically the old dude Elaine dated in a Seinfeld episode and had to feed Yankee bean soup to! The reason why Mort didn't slam the Dolphins or Jets for their inpatience was...... it worked!

very well said!

I can certainly agree with that assessment.

Ralph makes bad football decisions. Plain and simple, there it is.

But Mort's importance is falling with Schefter on board at ESPN. Mort is just not the source he once was. I recall him announcing Shanahan was negotiating with Kansas City while Herm Edwards was fired. Of course that was garbage, but Mort announced that in January 2009.

When it comes to the Bills, they've seen their reputation bottom out and some people enjoy piling on. It doesn't help that Buffalo's owner is in his 90s, has consistently mediocre to bad teams, and just hired two guys off the beaten path in NFL circles.

Ralph makes bad football decisions. Plain and simple, there it is.

But Mort's importance is falling with Schefter on board at ESPN. Mort is just not the source he once was. I recall him announcing Shanahan was negotiating with Kansas City while Herm Edwards was fired. Of course that was garbage, but Mort announced that in January 2009.

When it comes to the Bills, they've seen their reputation bottom out and some people enjoy piling on. It doesn't help that Buffalo's owner is in his 90s, has consistently mediocre to bad teams, and just hired two guys off the beaten path in NFL circles.

Mortensen is a vindictive scumbag! I hope he reaps what he sows!

Apparently Ralph Wilson is getting his just desserts due to his "impatience" after his firing of Mort's buddy Tom Donahue after five awful years, and the firing of Dick Jauron after four awful years.

"I'm not afraid to say this...but, when you're (Ralph Wilson) impatient, like he has been, this (mediocrity) is what you get. You've had too many changes..."

But it's ok when the Jets fire Mangini after having a winning record with 2 out of 3 winning seasons, plus a playoff birth...and the Dolphins fire a head coach after one year. Having well founded criticisms is one thing, calling Ralph impatient is like calling Mort unbiased. What a jerk this guy is, unbelievable that he's still employed with this kind of hack job stuff.

I know this board hates Mort, but c'mon...he's totally right about Buffalo and as far as the NY Jets go - it IS ok to fire Mangini because they made great personel moves on and off the field and almost went to the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, in Orchard Park, Wilson & Co. haven't even sniffed a playoff berth in 10 years (yes that include the bunch of fakes we had in '04 when we got beat down by Pittsburgh's back ups)

I'm so sick of everyone getting upset and start crying whenever Mort opens his damn mouth. He may be a "jerk" in your eyes, but he's totally right.

The difference is those decisions worked out as those teams improved dramatically when they made those moves. The Bills are on their 5th head coach in 10 years (6 if you count Fewell) and still haven't been to the playoffs. That's not the sign of a well run team and the only constant in that time has been Ralph Wilson. It's not exactly a stretch to point fingers in his direction.

That said, Mortensen has been bitter about the Bills firing his friend Tom Donahoe for years. I mean the Bills have also been terrible for years, so it's not that he's entirely unjustified in slamming them, but the I think a lot of the hostility stems from Donahoe's reign as GM.

Mort is a douche. But his point has validity.

I think what he meant by "impatience" was that Ralph thinks things can be fixed overnight and has had a propensity to approve/force knee jerk changes rather than allowing time for players to develop.

It is the same thring that frustrates me with many of the posters on this site who demand that we get 3 all-pro quality starters in this draft and that we immediately make the players. While it would be great, it is unrealistic. We have to be patient and let Nix and Gailey put a team together that can be competitive for several years, not just 2010.

I think that was the point that Mort was trying to make with that comment.

ESPN is not a news organization. It is entertainment masking itself as news. The Bills are an easy target and that makes their jobs easier. How many stories appear on ESPN that entirely articles about ANOTHER reporter's article on ESPN? The Bills make for nice target for them to "report" the "news" which is mostly their opinion.

Then they chat up another reporter at ESPN and they have a 'source' that is 'familiar with the situation' or 'close to the player/coach/etc'.

Now that is perfectly said, ESPN reports that 'Mort reports that Clayton reports that Scheffter reports the drat is this month"

They also won't allow any of their "experts" to appear on another radio show, example the only ones with big enough balls to be on the Dan Patrick show have been Michael Wilbon (a regular) and Mike Golic the week of the SB. As soon as Peter Gammons went to MLB Net he was on. BUT they have peeps from CBS, FOX, NBC on their shows. I guess many will say they are protecting their property, so be it. Once last thought, boy they were all talking up Tiger today, how hes the best. Of course watch on ESPN at 4.

...As to why they witch hunt Buffalo, ratings. Cowherd said one day on his show "why am I going to talk about the Bills, I'm on a national show". Move them to Toronto or LA Cowturd cares again.

I like Mortensen and I think he is right on about impatience. Donahoe's biggest mistake was running Bledsoe out of town without having somebody ready to step in. Sure, the plebians wanted him gone, but they shouldn't have a voice in anything

I watched the video, I was wrong it wasn't that bad.

Mort is wrong. The Bills are a failure on the field because Ralph makes bad hires for management positions. I'm sure Mort wouldn't say that because that would lump Donahoe in to the mess.

When you hire coaches who have failed elsewhere chances are very good that they will fail again. Ralph has only hired two head coaches who could implement a program and win anywhere. Chuck Knox and Lou Saban. Otherwise mostly outright losers and a couple caretakers(Levy/Phillips).

Mort is wrong. The Bills are a failure on the field because Ralph makes bad hires for management positions. I'm sure Mort wouldn't say that because that would lump Donahoe in to the mess.

When you hire coaches who have failed elsewhere chances are very good that they will fail again. Ralph has only hired two head coaches who could implement a program and win anywhere. Chuck Knox and Lou Saban. Otherwise mostly outright losers and a couple caretakers(Levy/Phillips).

Of the six coaches since 2000, only three have been retreads (Phillips, Jauron, Gailey). The other three were first time hires (Williams, Mularkey, Fewell).

You are 100% wrong.

No, I am not. He only "meddled" when the team wasn't producing the results. However all you heard from TD after getting fired was how Ralph had started to call him everyday, like he did with Butler at the end of his time in Buffalo.

As for being frugal, he spends money. The problem has been the people he's chosen to lead his team, who end up wasting the money. Not that spending tons of money guarantees anything.

I distinctly recall, 15+ years ago, them being mentioned as one of the best managed, astute franchises. The truism being that good management....counts.

Knox - I loved the way he utilized Cribbs.

Levy's prep of his team running up to the SB games still irks me.

I'm dumbfounded that he has HOF credentials.

I know this board hates Mort, but c'mon...he's totally right about Buffalo and as far as the NY Jets go - it IS ok to fire Mangini because they made great personel moves on and off the field and almost went to the Super Bowl. Meanwhile, in Orchard Park, Wilson & Co. haven't even sniffed a playoff berth in 10 years (yes that include the bunch of fakes we had in '04 when we got beat down by Pittsburgh's back ups)

I'm so sick of everyone getting upset and start crying whenever Mort opens his damn mouth. He may be a "jerk" in your eyes, but he's totally right.

Really? Ralph stuck with a known loser head coach in Dick Jauron for 4 years. Jauron had lost 4 out of 5 years with Chicago and kept him after having three extra straight losing seasons with the team he owns. Ralph was being the very definition of a patient owner by keeping Dick Jauron for the 2009 season. It's hypocritical for Mort to rip the Bills' owner for being impatient when the teams in his own division like the Jets and Dolphins blow the f'n s*** up at the first sign things aren't working out. Meanwhile us Bills fans were being force fed "the Buffalo Bills need CONTINUITY" b**s*** line year after stinking Dick Jauron year because they obviously felt we are all saps. Patience and awful hires have been Ralph's 2 main faults as an owner. Mort is a dope for making that statement.

Please explain to me how Mort is wrong again? He didn't get on the Jets or Dolphins case because they are both competitive in the division. They have upside. Their HC's are better than their previous HC's.

The Bills on the other hand are not any better, yet. If the Bills come out and go 10-6 (which I doubt they will) then Mort isn't going to be on. Like one poster said earlier on this board "winning fix's everything".

ESPN, Jones, Snyder and Capri Sun Kraft want the Bills in LA. End of story.

I dont think the video is too degrading to the Bills at all. In fact, its complimentary. Mortenson said good things about Nix and Gailey too.

Yeah, totally agree...I dont think any of these posters watched the video...what exactly did he do or say that was so bad or wrong? Everyone just has sand in their azz because its Mort. Seriously, calm down, he said nothing really bad or that wasnt really true.