OWENS IN BUFFALO

:thumbsup:

Exactly how I feel.

My only problem is if he implodes and how that effects next season and

more importantly, the ramifications to the franchise for years to come.

I don't think he can personally hurt our team's future any more than an 3-13 season would... being that it's only a one year contract. The key to me is letting him go next season, realizing that we had TO on his best behavior for one season. Expecting anything more is just getting greedy, and it hasn't paid off for any team.

Hopefully he'll be able to mentor Hardy for one season with special emphasis on route running and training for the season.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Adam what in the hell kind of Bills fan are You? :thumbsup:

I'd like to know, also. With TO and Evans both on the field we will never, and I mean NEVER, face 8 in the box.

I don't think he can personally hurt our team's future any more than an 3-13 season would... being that it's only a one year contract. The key to me is letting him go next season, realizing that we had TO on his best behavior for one season. Expecting anything more is just getting greedy, and it hasn't paid off for any team.

Hopefully he'll be able to mentor Hardy for one season with special emphasis on route running and training for the season.

My worry is he destroys our already fragile locker room.

We are on the verge of either something great, or for a huge letdown.

Last thing we need is for this team is a cancer in the locker room.

Damn math expert!! :thumbsup:

My wife is POed by the signing but I THINK she's calmed down.

I have posted this elsewhere today but my wife and talked about TO yesterday - about how he'd never come to Buffalo because it is "not his kind of town" (in other words, boring but in actuality is possesses something that none of his previous team's has had: Heart.

Too bad his contract did not have incentives which included "good behavior" since living in Buffalo might "save" him. His personality has always been completely egocentric but that is not only unusual in WNY but unacceptable.

He might...just might.... if he spends some time working with some charities/churches/social groups whatever, learn what the Grinch learned. It may sound corny but this guy is LOST (rich, famous but messed up)

Now, I hope he discovers this....but if he ONLY brings a few playoffs games, I will accept that :P

Go Bills

RichNJoisy (aka old fart)

I hope he plays like heck and helps our offense for 1 yr and then moves on. Just can't see him longer than that in Bflo.

Who knows, maybe... just maybe.....He'll get to carve the roast beast!

I know what you mean, any type of disruption could really distract our guys from missing the playoffs once again. :thumbdown:

I know what you mean, any type of disruption could really distract our guys from missing the playoffs once again. :thumbdown:

Seriously...since we're basically the Detroit Lions right now, TO couldn't possibly make things worse.

I think You'll see now there is one Man who rivals His talent Bro...And He wears #83...

WOOT! :thumbdown:

I hope you are right KOK... it will surely be fun to watch!

REQ. TO ADMINS: Nothing against Jimbo, but can you put T.O. on top of the board? :D

This is a great move IMO. We needed a major infusion of proven talent in FA at some position at least. WR is a great spot to get this needed infusion. We also needed to add someone who worked hard, was also talented, and had a strong personality to shake things up a bit.

The character thing was getting a bit old for the Bills. Character doesn't really mean anything in a competitive world unless it is coupled with excellence and the ability to achieve something.

We need players on the Bills who refuse to accept defeat and get furious when other teams are able to manhandle them game after game, such as New England has done to our Bills for years. TO will be that sort of player.

I live in New Hampshire, surrounded wall to wall by Patsie fans. They have supreme confidence in their team, year after year, and are often justified in that attitude. They never talk about character (they don't have any), only winning. I remember when Chuck Knox took over as the Bills head coach in 1978 and said as his first statement that the Buffalo Bills exist for only one purpose, to win football games.

I hope TO is the start of a new emphasis on winning and that we start knocking the Patsies around like we used to before this hideous decade.

Welcome TO! You are the man!

I hope he plays like heck and helps our offense for 1 yr and then moves on. Just can't see him longer than that in Bflo.

Who knows, maybe... just maybe.....He'll get to carve the roast beast!

moves on? yes, lets get josh reed or hardy back at 2nd WR. lol.

While I certainly have the sense that the psyche of the fan base is fairly fragile (what fan isn't smarting after going for a decade without the playoffs) I have seen no tangible evidence that the locker room is fragile at all. In fact, on the contrary, while many of us fans are mewling and puking over Lynch pleading guilty to a misdemeanor and some fans declaring him a cancer, his fellow teammates seem to value his never say die attitude toward playing which is reflected in many fans screaming for BEASTMODE.

Likewise many of the fans are calling for Jauron's head while the players virtually unanimously seem to say he is a good guy to play for and Ralph who is know to run off tilting at unwinnable windmills (see his attempt to get the last year of contract money out of the fired Wado and his apparent willingness to pay MM millions to not really run the team). I have few doubts that if Ralph viewed the lockerroom as melting down he would have either reneged on his handshake deal with Jauron or tried to squirm out of it legally.

I think think are correctly fragile in the fanbase given the years of losing and the media like WGR and Sully fanning the flames as best they can to try to make an extra nickel.

However, I see little tangible evidence of fragility in the locker room which we have seen in other teams where media reports of disputes among the players, players calling each other out publicly or recurrent FA departures (the exodus of Crowell and the Dockery situation are some indication but in each of these cases, Crowell seems to be the one expressing regret and their was even some talk of reapproachment and the Dockery situation seemed to pivot on a lack of good communication as the deadline approached for a bonus payment rather than a situation like the one where BB messed up the negotiations with Milloy and his players berated him publicly.

Even in this bad situation, the players (who are simply given millions to put up with the typical corporate crap from the team so they suck it up) were not so fragile that even in the face of a true dispute they proved SB worthy.

Fragile lockeroom?

I do not think so. What tangible indication do you see or is just simply a fear only bred in the logic of your mind?

I am the guy who thought they would come back down 35-3 against the Oilers. This makes me sick. I'll get over it, but he makes me sick

Dude...

No Bills Fan hopes Our Starting WR leads the League in drops...Further more by saying that Your indirectly wishing pain upon Me personally because I would have to witness each and every one of those drops...So come on... :D

Hate Him...But hope He helps Us Win...My guess is You'll like Him a lot more the 1st TD Pass He catches in 09...And a little more for each and every one after that...We'll see though...

Chin up... :thumbdown:

Team divisiveness. That is the LAST thing this team needs right now. At least they are united.... behind a crappy coach.

At first, I didn't like the idea (plus I didn't think he'd come here anyhow), but this team needs players with a little passion -- someone who can light a fire under his teammates -- someone who will be a leader and demand accountability.

This is an outrage. What happened to signing "high character players?" Does anyone really think that TO will be able to work with Edwards? or not show up Evans? or not bad mouth Dick & Turk?

This makes absolutely no sense.

screw the "high-character" thing -- that hasn't worked out so well, has it?

Amen. T.O.! Go ahead tear up your tickets, douchebags. It is time to win, this move obviously underscores that fact. 37 tds in the last three years a-holes. argue with that.

This line from an SI article and it's effing funny as hades;

And maybe the most intriguing of all, how is T.O.'s flash gonna play in blue-collar Buffalo? I mean, picturing T.O. in Buffalo is kind of like imagining the Queen of England at a monster truck show. Just doesn't seem to fit.

Ross is cool. One of the times I talked to him at training camp, he and Sam Adams had just had a shoving match that ended up with Adams laying on top of him. When we asked him if he could tell us what it was about, he said something along the lines of, "I told him Big Macs were better than Whoppers. Guess he likes Whoppers better."

One quibble, though:

But Buffalo? T.O. will bring his big-city ways to a decidedly mid-major environment and mentality. Glitz is out. Wings are in. Good-bye Vodka Martini. Hello Labatt Blue. It will be an adjustment, to be sure. I am sure T.O takes consolation in the fact that it is likely only a nine-month stop on his path back to being a major player on the NFL landscape. The funny thing is that, from the Bills' perspective, they might be just fine with that.

If you look hard, I bet you can probably find a martini bar or five in Buffalo.

Ross is cool. One of the times I talked to him at training camp, he and Sam Adams had just had a shoving match that ended up with Adams laying on top of him. When we asked him if he could tell us what it was about, he said something along the lines of, "I told him Big Macs were better than Whoppers. Guess he likes Whoppers better."

One quibble, though:

If you look hard, I bet you can probably find a martini bar or five in Buffalo.

:D

I like the non martini bar image for the city! :thumbdown:

I am a life long Bills fan and I did not see this coming. I am not a Terrell fan, but I am going to just have to live with it. I thought he would sign with New England or the Redskins. Maybe he will be able to help our young receivers, Hardy, Smith, Parrish and even Evans, How you may say...working out etc...he is a work horse. Any or you Madden fans gonna have fun playing with your Bills on the video game at least...

Never got into the debate about TO here, just argued against the fans who wanted Coles. I honestly never thought TO would ever end up coming here so I never gave it a second thought. TO is a much MUCH better receiver than Coles and I think he's worth the risk to a team that hasn't reached the playoffs since forever. I wanted the Bills to give Steve Johnson the chance at the #2 wideout position, but this one year supercharged experiment with TO is alright with me.

It's my hope his intensity will rub off on our team full of lifeless drone players who seem to only like to talk about how hard they play and then proceed to sleepwalk through the games on Sundays. The Buffalo Bills just got a WHOLE lot interesting. Now we can only hope the Bills actually try to score points this year and not look like the endzone's got kudies. That means no more deferring you Dick!!

:thumbdown:

alright i slept on it.

i like it, im buying my jersey this week. im excited to see if/how the rest of the team picks up on his work ethic (few in the league practice and train harder than TO). I'm hoping the rest of the team is so stable with all the high-character goodie two shoes (who havent won ANYTHING) that they will be able to absorb any issues but i dont think theyll have to.

TO finally got what he's always wanted, he's the biggest fish in the pond and at least for the next year, he will be treated as such. im pumped to see him on the field across from Evans.

after the initial shock has worn off, it makes sense that TO and the Bills are actually a perfect fit for each other. hopefully, theyll prove as much on the field.

Here's to looking forward to the draft and the season again!

:thumbdown:

moves on? yes, lets get josh reed or hardy back at 2nd WR. lol.

First of all, I was talking to Rich, not you. And YES, I do hope this guy moves on after

1 year. This is a desperation move by Ralph and Dick. T.O. will eventually unravel and

I hope it will be someplace else.

Never got into the debate about TO here, just argued against the fans who wanted Coles. I honestly never thought TO would ever end up coming here so I never gave it a second thought. TO is a much MUCH better receiver than Coles and I think he's worth the risk to a team that hasn't reached the playoffs since forever. I wanted the Bills to give Steve Johnson the chance at the #2 wideout position, but this one year supercharged experiment with TO is alright with me.

It's my hope his intensity will rub off on our team full of lifeless drone players who seem to only like to talk about how hard they play and then proceed to sleepwalk through the games on Sundays. The Buffalo Bills just got a WHOLE lot interesting. Now we can only hope the Bills actually try to score points this year and not look like the endzone's got kudies. That means no more deferring you Dick!!

:thumbsup:

I agree 100% with this post. Coles was never explosive in his prime, so why sign a possession receiver with concussions who is on the decline? Owens on the other hand was, and still is, an explosive playmaker. I too thought Steve Johnson could possibly become a stud - and maybe he still can. And I agree that Owens on the sidelines just may be the foot-up-the-a$$ that this franchise needs.

Holy !@#$! I cannot believe we have TO! Lee and TO is ridiculous! I wish him the best and hope he keeps his mouth shut. TO is a competitor no doubt and might just be what this team needs. Our offense just got a helluva lot better. And wait and see what kind of year Lee has now that he has a big time WR taking the heat off him. WOW!

Not in the first year, he didn't. TO trouble has always come after a honeymoon period. It's true he turned on Garcia, McNabb and Romo, but in the first year (or two) it was all love...and success.

I'm simply flabbergasted the Bills did this, AND that Owens agreed to come to Buffalo, and the one-year contract. But, he's done so much damage, over the years, and burned so many bridges, the stars just aligned, this year.

A one-year contract is genius, and I don't really expect to see him in Buffalo for longer than that. But, for one year, the younger WRs have a chance to develop and Trent has a big, confident WR to throw to...and maybe teach him about having some balls.

Nobody can say, for sure, if this move will work. TO could get hurt in Training Camp and be out for the year, or he really could be washed-up. But for one year, at $6.5 Million, he could be one of the missing pieces to jump start this team, seemingly stuck a 7-9. If he's a bust, they can actually just cut him, if they want. There are no cap repercussions for future years.

Count me as quite pleased with the move.

That's a good BINGO!!

TO to Buffalo...wow. I never would have thought the Bills would bring him in but I love it!! The Bills are in the spotlight for something other than missing a field goal. Plus he adds a weapon opposite Evans. It will be cool to see teams try to single cover either of them...I was just talking to my bro the other day and said that I wanted them for once to bring in a FA who I've actually heard of....check.

In most ways, TO is a very high character guy. He plays hard, practices hard and doesn't get in public situations with the law. He is a model citizen, actually.

He's just a me-first douchebag. Fortumately, that side of him doesn't appear (or at least hasn't) in his first year with a team.