Starting QB for 2006...

LabattBlue

I know it's early, but....

If ML & MM decide that JP may not be the man and want to have a QB competition in the off-season, please tell me that JP's competition will be someone other than Holcomb?

PS If they decide that JP is not starter material come the fall(his 3rd year), it's probably time to move on in terms of JP's future as a Bill.

If ML & MM decide that JP may not be the man and want to have a QB competition in the off-season, please tell me that JP's competition will be someone other than Holcomb?

PS If they decide that JP is not starter material come the fall(his 3rd year), it's probably time to move on in terms of JP's future as a Bill.

557320[/snapback]

If it's not JP, it'll be Holcomb.

If it's not JP, then we wasted the pick. He's already going to be nearly 26 next year, right?

If JP Losman was healthy, I want to scream that he didn't play in the Jets game. If he's our quarterback of the future, you have to play him... we won't make the Superbowl Next year no matter what. If he's not, then we should cut him.

If the Bills are truly hopeful that Jim Haslett will take over should Mullarky fail, then it certainly won't be Aaron Brooks.

How 'bout Steve McNair?  At least he's accurate.

557332[/snapback]

Please McNair is just like Drew. His best years are behind him. I dont want to go that route again. Give me someone that is around Brooks age and I can deal with that. I want more than just JP and Kelly competeing for this job.

Bring in another young guy to compete.. I like Seneca Wallace of Seattle. He's a restricted FA but probably would want out from underneath Hasselbeck. He's a little undersized but very talented and you would not have to change the offense much since he and JP both can move.

Vince Young.

Now i'm going to be flamed on two different threads about the same thing  :w00t:

557357[/snapback]

Don't believe the hype. He's either a slower weaker version of Vick or a faster less accurate version of Culpepper. :w00t:

Can I have DB back instead of KH? :w00t:

557330[/snapback]

If you prefer the Bills win even fewer games this year, so be it.

No, I take it back. You may not have DB back!

With the competitors being...?  Next time don't be so enlightening. :w00t:

557374[/snapback]

My main point is that we should not fall in love with any particular QB. I am really concerned that there are a lot of people on this board that are overly infatuated with JP. I have no idea whether he will or will not be the QB that TD et al thought he would be. I have some serious doubts.

Let's just not give up the goals of the team just for the sake of one player. At this point I think that KH is the much better QB. He deserves a chance to compete with JP in a legitimate competition.

I also think that we could do better. I have no idea whether he would be available, but I would not mind Daunte. I am sure that there will be other QBs that will be available whom we should consider.

If JP deserves to start, he should start. That would be great for JP and the team. If not, so be it. The nice thing about having Marv around is that he will not feel wedded to JP if, in fact , it turns out that trading for him was a colossal blunder.

I just hope that we have a QB on the roster next year in whom the team and coaching staff have confidence and who can take us to the playoffs and beyond.

I'll bet anyone here right now, $100, that barring trade or injury, the starting QB opening day 2006 on the Bills will be JP Losman.

557425[/snapback]

How do we know you even have $100? :w00t:

Here's the pre-roster-cut 2006 FA QB list. I don't see a single name on that list that I'd rather see than JP Losman. As for roster cuts, who knows, but I don't think I'd want Aaron Brooks or Daunte Culpepper over JPL, either.

I say let the kid play the whole season and let KTFABD keep his imaginary $100.

How do we know you even have $100? :w00t:

Here's the pre-roster-cut 2006 FA QB list.  I don't see a single name on that list that I'd rather see than JP Losman.  As for roster cuts, who knows, but I don't think I'd want Aaron Brooks or Daunte Culpepper over JPL, either. 

I say let the kid play the whole season and let KTFABD keep his imaginary $100.

557435[/snapback]

The Dog has it...if he hasn't spent it all on booze yet. :w00t:

But, you are both right. It will be, and SHOULD be, JP.

557320[/snapback]

Until JP gets some offensive linemen in front of him that can block, we will never tell how good he is or how much potential he might have. He had more yards rusing backwards than forwards. You win in the trenches and need a good offensive line and defensive line. :w00t:

The first quarter 3 touchdown barrage on the Miami Dolphins showed me all I need to know about whether Losman can play in this league. The dude just needs some playing time just like all the other QBs not named Marino or Rothlesburger. JP has a great arm and he's got the wheels to avoid a pass rush and get first downs on broken plays. I feel confident that JP is the next great Bills QB. Flame away if you want, but I totally believe this. He will win the starting job next training camp and the only way he relinquishes it will be due to injury, not poor play. Mark it down baby.

Until JP gets some offensive linemen in front of him that can block, we will never tell how good he is or how much potential he might have. He had more yards rusing backwards than forwards. You win in the trenches and need a good offensive line and defensive line.  :w00t:

557442[/snapback]

I'm going to preface this by stating that I am a complete idiot about the OL nuances of the game.

That being said, how much does consistancy at the QB position factor in for gelling of the OL over a season? Would they have improved had JPL been back there the entire 16 games? These guys had two completely different QBs to block for this season, and never had consistancy for more than a few games at a time.

IMO, which most probably consider worthless anyway, had JPL started at QB every single game we would have seen the offense slowly improve every single game.

I think that the team's ineffectivenerss with JP at the helm and the relatively better performance and an added degree of comfidence behind Holcomb who has enough vet experience not to panic has clearly won Holcomb a competition in camp.

However, it is the same height of panic which twice saw TB give up on QBs who later went on to become two of the best in the game for the Bills to simply give up on JP.

This is not to say JP is a Favre or Steve Young, but he shows himself to be a lot tougher and competent than Rob Johnson and the Bills were quite willing to give RJ every chance in the book plus despite the fact it was pretty clear he was not going to survive long enough to be our QB of the future.

My sense is that the Bills will follow the line which Marv laid out yesterday that:

1. The future is now and the Bills will put the player out there whom they feel they can win with this season.

2. The best player will play even if he is a 7th round pick and his competition came in a higher round.

While, I still think that the big bucks JP got will be a factor and he will likely be at worst a first among equals with Holcomb come pre-season, the two will battle it out and win it on the field.

At this point Holcomb is the better QB, but JP has too much natural talent and Holcomb has not produced a consistent season in his career.

It all comes down to whether JP can set himself up for a bust-out season this year.

I think he still needs a little more time looking over thecenter at the D to e this time, but his demographics are good enough and Holcomb has never experienced consistent success in his career that I can easily see how JP can pass him by this off-season or with some good pre-season performances.

Barring injury I suspect JP will be our startingQB in our first game,

So here is my take on what might transpire in '06. There will be no open competition. Holcomb has proven himself as a solid #2 and a potential starter. With the shake up in the front office and Levy coming back to Buffalo I don't think there will be too many roster changes in the higher profile positions. Holcomb will start and split time with JP which is what should have happened this year. JP has the potential to become a great QB and I think he gets one more season. He was thrown to the wolves with an O line that has more holes in it than a pasta strainer. Holcomb with his experience was able to make plays that JP couldn't see. JP got quite an education this season losing his job to Kelly but he also had some impressive plays on the field. I take you back to the Miami game in which JP hit Lee evans for 3 td's in the first 8 minutes of the game and then the rest of the team layed down and blew it. Then there is the KC game where Kelly went out and JP came in to win it for us. It wasn't pretty but none of our wins were this season. The best game that team played they lost and that was to NE in "Thier House". We don't need a back field on either side of the ball we need lines that can stuff the run and make holes so Willis can prove he is the best.

One more thing. Nate needs to move on and I hate to say it Moulds needs to stay one more season and learn how to catch a pass from JP.

The Bills have entered yet another rebuilding year but I think ML and MM can turn this team around and Ralph will give them the freedom to do just that. '06 should be an iteresting season. Just my 2 pennies

If it's not JP, then we wasted the pick.  He's already going to be nearly 26 next year, right?

If JP Losman was healthy, I want to scream that he didn't play in the Jets game.  If he's our quarterback of the future, you have to play him... we won't make the Superbowl Next year no matter what.  If he's not, then we should cut him.

557340[/snapback]

I feel like I'm beating a tired drum here, but...

50% of first round qb's don't make it, and 25% only make it as journeymen. Those are bad odds. So if you are the owner/GM and your people come to you and say 'we want to draft joe qb with our first round pick, we think he'll be good,' then unless you are a fool you have to approach the issue with the expectation that that pick may very well be wasted, and you have to ask yourself whether you can afford to take a flyer with that pick.

So if the JP pick was wasted (and I'm not ready to write him off yet), then so be it. Only a fool stubbornly sticks to his first round qb just by virtue of the pick.

Vince Young. Marv will trade Losman & McGahee to New Orleans for the 2nd overall pick in the draft.

Seriously though, JP Losman is far from a rookie. 2006 will be his THIRD season with the Bills. Granted he has only started 8 games but he is by no means a rookie or even a "virtual" rookie anymore.

Vince Young. Marv will trade Losman & McGahee to New Orleans for the 2nd overall pick in the draft.

Seriously though, JP Losman is far from a rookie. 2006 will be his THIRD season with the Bills. Granted he has only started 8 games but he is by no means a rookie or even a "virtual" rookie anymore.

558315[/snapback]

Eli only started about half a season last year.....