Starting QB for 2006...

LabattBlue

I still believe that if the defense and running game had been as advertised that JP would not have been near the liability many seem to think that he was in 2005. With Holcomb we KNOW what to expect. He's an ideal backup, who can start a game here or there if there is an injury to the starter.

I say forget about bringing in a high priced veteran QB. Work on fixing the things that REALLY are broken -- the OL (and by extension the TE situation, hoping that Everett will be something special; even so, we needs something better than Campbell) and defense. If JP is not able to thrive with these things improving around him by the end of next season, then we know that we need to look elsewhere to get an upgrade at the QB position.

As far as this year goes, I'd say that we look to the mid rounds of the draft for our #3 QB. If JP flames out, who knows if we could have found a diamond in the rough...

This is a very tough situation for any coach. Last year, Mularkey and TD threw all their chips into one hand, then realized it was risky and went and get KH to back him up.

I personally don't think JP or KH are the answer and yes, this is even with a revamped state of the art offensive line.

Phillip Rivers.  SD keeps Brees--even with the repaired shoulder--and deals Rivers.

558378[/snapback]

So let me get this straight. You think that the Bills...who have already invested a 1st Round draft pick on an unproven QB...should invest a top 10 pick on yet another unproven QB??? Puhleeeeeeeease! You think SD is dealing him for less than a 1st??? Um, no way. So we ignore a chance to upgrade either the OL or DL or both (if we trade down and stockpile picks)? Wow, thank God you're not the GM. :unsure::D

So let me get this straight. You think that the Bills...who have already invested a 1st Round draft pick on an unproven QB...should invest a top 10 pick on yet another unproven QB??? Puhleeeeeeeease! You think SD is dealing him for less than a 1st??? Um, no way. So we ignore a chance to upgrade either the OL or DL  or both (if we trade down and stockpile picks)? Wow, thank God you're not the GM.  :unsure:  :D

558465[/snapback]

Perhaps it should be graniteheadbillsbackers.

Don't believe the hype.  He's either a slower weaker version of Vick or a faster less accurate version of Culpepper.  :D

557364[/snapback]

Culpepper or Vick did not freakishly dismantle perhaps the greatest college football team of all time, hands down. GO VINCE!

JP is half "Dawgged", I swear he needs to go back to nursey school and sit in the corner and bang his head on the wall. JP is nothing more than a wasted year and another Rob Johnson slash Todd Collins. Buffalo just needs to realize the qb controversy doesnt work in Buffalo. Every one of these qb FA's are better than JP overall, including Kelly Holcomb.

Anthony Wright UFA Ravens (a wildcard)

Charlie Batch UFA Steelers sucks

Chris Simms RFA Buccaneers (good pick)

Chris Weinke UFA Panthers sucks

Craig Nall UFA Packers sucks

Damon Huard UFA Chiefs sucks

Dave Ragone RFA Texans sucks

Doug Flutie UFA Patriots (better than JP)

Drew Brees UFA Chargers (good pick but SD will keep)

Jamie Martin UFA Rams sucks

Jeff Blake UFA Bears too old and sucks

Jeff Garcia UFA Lions (good pick)

Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers who?

Jon Kitna UFA Bengals (very good pick)

Josh McCown UFA Cardinals (very good pick)

Ken Dorsey RFA 49ers sucks

Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets sucks

Kurt Warner UFA Cardinals (good pick)

Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins (alright pick)

Seneca Wallace RFA Seahawks who?

Shane Matthews UFA Bills umm, no

Shaun Hill UFA Vikings sucks

Tim Hasselbeck UFA Giants sucks

Todd Collins UFA Chiefs shoot him!

Ty Detmer UFA Falcons (good pick)

Vinny Testaverde UFA Jets he's in the retirement home

add too it

Brian Greasy which would be a great pick, and one of the Vikings QB's either Brad Johnson or Culpepper, both would be good picks.

I'll bet anyone here right now, $100, that barring trade or injury, the starting QB opening day 2006 on the Bills will be JP Losman.

557425[/snapback]

Exactly. I just don't understand how quickly people want to throw JP under the bus. I have no idea if he'll make a quality QB next year; but the same people who are estatic with the changes should be willing to give JP a mulligan and another chance to prove his first round status.

Almost no one had a good year and to expect a "first" year QB to make progress under those condiitions is unreasonable and worthy of reevalutation. You can't complain about the horrid pass protection and want to get rid of JP; you can't complain about the weak running game and expect JP to compensate; you can't berate the play calling and say JP should be replaced by Aaron Brooks or one of the other two dozen other QBs who are great because we've heard of them -- or worse, draft another QB by sacrificing up-grades in other much more needed positions.

There aren't many QBs in the league with JP's raw skills and I'd rather give him a fair shot at winning the job outright than go fantasizing about QBs who likely wouldn't have done much better for the 2005 Bills.

Call me a "JP Lover" (or some other 3rd grade level label) but I think JP will win the job in camp and be a very decent QB next year. He has above average skills, a wicked arm, a fiery competitive nature and with a good scheme, average blocking, a somewhat reliable run game and at least decent playcalling JP will be a "top-third" QB next year.

JP is half "Dawgged", I swear he needs to go back to nursey school and sit in the corner and bang his head on the wall.  JP is nothing more than a wasted year and another Rob Johnson slash Todd Collins.  Buffalo just needs to realize the qb controversy doesnt work in Buffalo.  Every one of these qb FA's are better than JP overall, including Kelly Holcomb.

Anthony Wright UFA Ravens      (a wildcard)

Charlie Batch UFA Steelers      sucks

Chris Simms  RFA Buccaneers      (good pick)

Chris Weinke UFA Panthers        sucks

Craig Nall UFA Packers                sucks

Damon Huard UFA Chiefs      sucks

Dave Ragone RFA Texans      sucks

Doug Flutie UFA Patriots        (better than JP)

Drew Brees UFA Chargers        (good pick but SD will keep)

Jamie Martin UFA Rams                sucks

Jeff Blake UFA Bears                        too old and sucks

Jeff Garcia UFA Lions                      (good pick)

Jesse Palmer UFA 49ers                who?

Jon Kitna UFA Bengals              (very good pick)

Josh McCown UFA Cardinals      (very good pick)

Ken Dorsey  RFA 49ers                        sucks

Kliff Kingsbury RFA Jets                sucks

Kurt Warner UFA Cardinals                (good pick)

Sage Rosenfels UFA Dolphins      (alright pick)

Seneca Wallace  RFA Seahawks      who?

Shane Matthews UFA Bills                umm, no

Shaun Hill UFA Vikings                sucks

Tim Hasselbeck UFA Giants        sucks

Todd Collins UFA Chiefs                shoot him!

Ty Detmer UFA Falcons                (good pick)

Vinny Testaverde UFA Jets                  he's in the retirement home

add too it

Brian Greasy which would be a great pick, and one of the Vikings QB's either Brad Johnson or Culpepper, both would be good picks.

558778[/snapback]

Congrats. You've successfully destroyed your credibility in one post. Except for Brees and maybe Simms I wouldn't give up a 6th round pick for any one of these guys. Considering smashed up his throwing arm I may take him for a 4th and Simms based on pedigree maybe a 5th.

Anyone else?

our O has been garbage for a few years now

we have had spurts of a running game, but some of the same athletes who tore it up in 02 for us have stunk under clements and mularky (travis henry being one of them).

with what JP has shown in his better moments, if we have an O that has some vertical passing, consistent running WITH OUR BEST PLAYERS NOT SHAUD, some new blockers, and quick reads JP could shine.

right now we have a grab bag play calling bad package based O. our passing game is all about option routes and slow to develop short passes with lots of motion. this is the worst kind of O for any young QB, and an average nfl OC should be able to come in and run a much better O.

there were about 5 Os worse than us last year and about 3 this year. we really need some coaches and i wonder if we will ever win with mularky here