Steelers sign head coach Mike Tomlin to 3-year contract extension

dpberr

I wouldn't have done that.  I think he and the Steelers would both benefit from some new scenery and ideas, but hey, advantage Bills.    

Yes, he's 173-100 (.633 clip) but has been overseeing some mediocre seasons lately in the post Big Ben malaise.  That team hasn't recovered from the wheels falling off after that 11-0 start in 2020.  

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2024/06/10/mike-tomlin-signed-contract-extension-coach-art-rooney-ii/stories/202406100069

• Disagree 6
  • Agree 2
  • Dislike 1

34 minutes ago, dpberr said:

I wouldn't have done that.  I think he and the Steelers would both benefit from some new scenery and ideas, but hey, advantage Bills.    

Yes, he's 173-100 (.633 clip) but has been overseeing some mediocre seasons lately in the post Big Ben malaise.  That team hasn't recovered from the wheels falling off after that 11-0 start in 2020.  

https://www.post-gazette.com/sports/steelers/2024/06/10/mike-tomlin-signed-contract-extension-coach-art-rooney-ii/stories/202406100069

I’m not an expert on the Steelers, but it feels like the GM has not given him a fair chance. 

35 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

I would have. The problem in Pittsburgh is Quarterbacking not coaching.

Ya i dont get some of the tomlin hate around here.

The guy got to the playoffs with Mason Rudolph last year

• Like (+1) 3

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

It’s like most other situations. Give this guy a top 10 QB and he’s a genius.  If not, then he’s trash.  Even a guy that’s been there for 17 years and never had a losing season

no; he’s not “trash”.  See the post above you.  He and the team got to the playoffs with Mason freaking Rudolph last season (and kept it close against us in the WCG until late in the 3rd quarter)

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, mushypeaches said:

It’s like most other situations. Give this guy a top 10 QB and he’s a genius.  If not, then he’s trash.  Even a guy that’s been there for 17 years and never had a losing season

But we have a Top 5 quarterback….no? 

2 hours ago, dpberr said:

I think it is unlikely they would find a better coach to replace him. Steelers rosters the last 5 years have been very similar to a lot of the Bills rosters during the drought years. Big difference is Tomlin has them in the playoffs, and we missed for 17 years straight.

9 minutes ago, DapperCam said:

I think it is unlikely they would find a better coach to replace him. Steelers rosters the last 5 years have been very similar to a lot of the Bills rosters during the drought years. Big difference is Tomlin has them in the playoffs, and we missed for 17 years straight.

Does Tomlin coaching them to 9-7 and a WC exit harm their chances of finding a QB?

Does Tomlin not want to take a big swing on a QB because it will cost him job security?

Questions, questions.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Milanos Milano said:

McD has Allen, so what’s his excuse? It’s hard to win in the NFL? 

Exactly.. there is no excuse.. I would have made the change already but unfortunately I’m not the owner.

I’d swap out McDermott for Tomlin yesterday.

Edited by julian
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, FireChans said:

Does Tomlin coaching them to 9-7 and a WC exit harm their chances of finding a QB?

Does Tomlin not want to take a big swing on a QB because it will cost him job security?

Questions, questions.

All I know is Kenny Pickett is pretty similar to Trent Edwards.