Harrison Butker…oy vey…what a commencement “speech”

eball

4 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

How dare he think and say things that other people might not agree with! I would never

He has the right to his opinion as do you.  I have the right to disagree.  Welcome to America.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Vomit 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

The Butker thread yesterday disappeared. But let's just say the things doing the rounds on the artist formerly known as twitter fall into the "the man doth protest too much" in regards to the "deadly sins" section of his speech. And he wouldn't be the first. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

This is a great litmus test between people who will fall all over themselves promoting and defending The Current Thing, versus someone who espouses traditional values.  Free speech for me, canceling for thee

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

44 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

The Butker thread yesterday disappeared. But let's just say the things doing the rounds on the artist formerly known as twitter fall into the "the man doth protest too much" in regards to the "deadly sins" section of his speech. And he wouldn't be the first. 

He played a little grab ass in college?

Who's canceling him? He's making millions, has three rings, getting invited to make commencement speeches. People on a message board are not allowed to criticize when he says something stupid?

By the way, I'm a father of two who is just as proud of that role as my work, and I went to Catholic School in Buffalo. Don't need a lecture on morals from a Chiefs kicker. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

Who's canceling him? He's making millions, has three rings, getting invited to make commencement speeches. People on a message board are not allowed to criticize when he says something stupid?

By the way, I'm a father of two who is just as proud of that role as my work, and I went to Catholic School in Buffalo. Don't need a lecture on morals from a Chiefs kicker. 

I don't know about cancelling, but explain the NFL going all "The View" on him?  A very predictable anti-Catholic reflex that's all the rage right now.

And, this obviously political topic/post needs to be taken off the main page.

37 minutes ago, dorquemada said:

This is a great litmus test between people who will fall all over themselves promoting and defending The Current Thing, versus someone who espouses traditional values.  Free speech for me, canceling for thee

Women having careers is “the current thing?”  What an odd take.

• Thank you (+1) 1

If you listen the whole speech and not the medias cutouts designed to create outrage, it’s not offensive at all, and basically correct.  He compliments his wife wonderfully. 

im actually quite surprised by the NFLs response.  It doesn’t read neutral at all.  Neutral would have been appropriate.  “Harrison Butker gave a speech in his personal capacity his views are not those of the NFL as an organization. The NFL is steadfast in our commitment to inclusion, which only makes our league stronger.”

There needed to be a “…. His views are not NECESSARILY those of the NFL…”. Like the disclaimer before infomercials.    

or am I reading into it too much?  Just seems like the NFL is knocking him down.  Which is ridiculous because the league stays mostly silent when players beat women, crash cars at high speeds, do other illegal things ….

• Like (+1) 6
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, Ray Stonada said:

• Like (+1) 1
  • Sad 1

8 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

He played a little something. In my experience it is always the religious straight ones who are really into it too....... 

That's an extreme allegation. Back it up with facts.

Otherwise this is a petulant attack on religion. I'm not religious, either. There's no god, no heaven, no hell, or anything.

Also, oddly a lot of replies are being scraped. 

• Thank you (+1) 2

Posted (edited)

I just watched the commencement speech for the first time. Am I missing something or was it a big who cares that the media again wants to blow up into something. It was boring like any other commencement speech and it was at a catholic university, so what did we expect it to be about. What did he say that is pissing everyone off? IMO, which thankfully I’m still allowed to have, he basically said he was grateful that his wife prioritized family and taking care of the home first over a career. Isn't that what we all want in our marriages? We should prioritize the home first so that our kids get some good morals in this jacked up world we’re throwing them out into. Now, he’s not the best public speaker or a wordsmith so things sound jumbled but he seemed genuine. Screw the media for attacking him. Would be nice if opinions were allowed to be had the same across the board in this country. He’s a kicker on an NFL team, not a politician running for office, let the man be. And I hate the chiefs so I'd be the first to attack if it was warranted lol

Edited by NeverOutNick
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 1

On 5/15/2024 at 12:41 PM, Logic said:

1.) I support the right of every American to espouse whatever opinion they want, even if I don't agree with what they say.

2.) His specific message seems pretty on-brand for the audience to whom he was speaking.

3.) His words are incredibly tone deaf and, as others have pointed out, do not acknowledge the reality that the lived experience of a rich man (and his wife) is likely quite different than that of most normal people, and is not necessarily relatable or applicable.

4.) It seems somewhat bizarre to tell a bunch of women who are about to graduate from college that they ought to stick to the kitchen instead.

5.) Anything else I could say would likely offend people, venture into PPP territory, or generally not be productive. Instead, I will just keep my mouth shut and take my cue from my friends in the south and say regarding Harrison Butker: "Bless his heart".

1.  You clearly do not abide by point 1.  Otherwise you wouldn't feel the need for point 5 unless you are just signaling for the rest of these...um...fine citizens.  Lol. This place.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

2 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

You want my full body count?

No, I don't care. Just weird you're throwing it at Butker like he was some serial groper or something. 

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, boyst said:

No, I don't care. Just weird you're throwing it at Butker like he was some serial groper or something. 

Not a serial groper. That wasn't my accusation. Just that the rumour mill is linking him to experiences at college that he would now consider "sin". And not just "sin". "Deadly Sin". Well I've sinned lots in that case and it hasn't been deadly yet. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1