Harrison Butker…oy vey…what a commencement “speech”

eball

What a delusional fool.

He gets invited to speak at a commencement, where students have worked for 4+ years on their degree, while spending tens of thousands of dollars...  and he "ventures to guess" that the girls would rather be housewives and spends time speaking about it?

It's such an incredibly stupid thing to say in that situation, basically brushing aside their hard work and achievement, to talk about how great his wife has it.

Ha!

If my daughter would've been graduating at that ceremony, I would've been PO'd.

7 minutes ago, BillsFanForever19 said:

... you're a Kicker.

A very emotional one to boot!

• Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Bad Things said:

What a delusional fool.

He gets invited to speak at a commencement, where students have worked for 4+ years on their degree, while spending tens of thousands of dollars...  and he "ventures to guess" that the girls would rather be housewives and spends time speaking about it?

It's such an incredibly stupid thing to say in that situation, basically brushing aside their hard work and achievement, to talk about how great his wife has it.

Ha!

A very emotional one to boot!

One basic social skill is to be able to read the room.  It’s obvious this dude lacks this basic social skill

16 hours ago, Jauronimo said:

How is calling Butker, a top 0.1% earner in this country, "rich" at all controversial or stifling his speech in any way?  

Going full Godwin is always a nice touch. 

Reading comprehension not your thing?

Calling Butker rich is what I suggested. The other poster mistakenly called him a “millionaire” which is a more precise term.  It is better for vilifying someone if you use vague terms.  

The other poster implied a causal relationship between Butker’s wealth and his speech.  In fact he focused on the wealth and really didn’t dissect the content of the speech at all.  It’s as if a “poor” person couldn’t possibly have a similar opinion.  This is good because it furthers the cause of the proletariat revolution which clearly will solve all of the world’s problems. I was just pointing out that millionaire was a bad word to use because it limits the pool of villains.  You shouldn’t do that.  Villains are always needed.

• Like (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, Bad Things said:

What a delusional fool.

Ha!

It was for a very Catholic, traditional school, dude.  The outrage you’re looking for on behalf of the students just isn’t there.  The people who went to this school are on board with his comments.

Edited by RkFast
  • Like (+1) 3
  • Disagree 1
  • Agree 2

2 hours ago, KDIGGZ said:

Imagine crapping on someone's beliefs by saying your beliefs are better and his don't matter. That pretty much sums up our world today.

Yes when his beliefs are misogynistic and homophobic he deserves the backlash he is getting. I don’t know what to tell you if you don't find his comments to be both idiotic and offensive to many.  This is not where we should be divided. We aren’t debating beliefs on climate, health care, etc. 

• Disagree 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 hour ago, RkFast said:

It was for a very Catholic, traditional school, dude.  The outrage you’re looking for on behalf of the students just isn’t there.  The people who went to this school are on board with his comments.

Yes, he read the room perfectly. He wasn't talking to a pluralist or progressive room. He wasn't talking to this board. The reason students go to a college like that is because their beliefs and ethical sensibility are counter-cultural to the dominant ideology. The polemical edge in the speech was more in the nature of affirming the convictions of the students as they prepare to deal with a society largely indifferent or hostile to their beliefs. And the reaction here is proof of the correctness of that assessment.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Agree 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, BillsFooteball said:

Yes when his beliefs are misogynistic and homophobic he deserves the backlash he is getting. I don’t know what to tell you if you don't find his comments to be both idiotic and offensive to many.  This is not where we should be divided. We aren’t debating beliefs on climate, health care, etc. 

I couldn't disagree more and I don't share his views at all. He is entitled to his beliefs as much as you are. That's the point of a free democratic society. Everyone gets a voice and everyone's opinions matter. Maybe you would enjoy China or Iran better?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 minute ago, KDIGGZ said:

I couldn't disagree more and I don't share his views at all. He is entitled to his beliefs as much as you are. That's the point of a free democratic society. Everyone gets a voice and everyone's opinions matter. Maybe you would enjoy China or Iran better?

Welp. Yeah this is just something we are completely opposite beliefs in so won’t get anywhere. Doesn’t matter what we think but very happy to see the NFL already swatted down his ignorant comments. Wonder why they would do that. 

10 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

Yes, he read the room perfectly. He wasn't talking to a pluralist or progressive room. He wasn't talking to this board. The reason students go to a college like that is because their beliefs and ethical sensibility are counter-cultural to the dominant ideology. The polemical edge in the speech was more in the nature of affirming the convictions of the students as they prepare to deal with a society largely indifferent or hostile to their beliefs. And the reaction here is proof of the correctness of that assessment.

0029_Dumb.jpg

1 minute ago, BillsFooteball said:

Welp. Yeah this is just something we are completely opposite beliefs in so won’t get anywhere. Doesn’t matter what we think but very happy to see the NFL already swatted down his ignorant comments. Wonder why they would do that. 

Because of cancel culture and the entirety of media and corporations leaning to one side. Doesn't mean half of people don't feel differently. People used to have discussions now it's right to name calling and cancelling.

• Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)
23 minutes ago, KDIGGZ said:

I lean more toward “everyone has a voice and everyone’s opinions DON’T matter.

But that’s me.

Just the latest “idiot kicker.”

Edited by UConn James

3 hours ago, Pete said:

One basic social skill is to be able to read the room.  It’s obvious this dude lacks this basic social skill

He actually did read the room if you hear the applause he got.  A small private religious school invited a guy to give a commencement address that perfectly aligned with their Neanderthal approach.  This college takes $$ from families with daughters to basically get them married off.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

Posted (edited)
On 5/14/2024 at 9:48 PM, eball said:

I don’t have a link to it. I’m sure you can find it easily enough. I wonder how many around here agree with him?

Why do you even care how many agree with him? I certainly don't care. And why are you looking to start bitter arguments? Can't you do this on PPP?

Maybe you should go lose another arguement with @BADOLBILZ. You are about 0 for 100. If I could get odds on these matchups I would be a multi-millionaire.

Edited by Bill from NYC
  • Haha (+1) 1

19 hours ago, PastaJoe said:

He basically told all the women graduates that they just wasted a lot of time and money getting a degree when they should be taking care of husbands. They should have walked out or at least booed him. Not to mention his homophobia.

Why? Because you disagree with what he said? I'm wondering if you think that those in attendance are entitled to not agree with you, or any other specific dogma with which you concur. 

I personally don't care what he thinks or says. Would I want him as the speaker at my daughter's graduation? No. When my daughter graduated the speaker was Elie Wiesel. His speech was moving and wonderful. Would he be OK with you? It seems as if today, many wouldn't appreciate him. I wonder why.

• Like (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, oldmanfan said:

He actually did read the room if you hear the applause he got.  A small private religious school invited a guy to give a commencement address that perfectly aligned with their Neanderthal approach.  This college takes $$ from families with daughters to basically get them married off.

To quote Chesterton, "We shall soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four, in which people will persecute the heresy of calling a triangle a three-sided figure, and hang a man for maddening a mob with the news that grass is green."

Developed countries are losing population rapidly and people respond to the idea of marriage and family like it's wrong. :lol:   

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 3
  • Agree 1

3 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

To quote Chesterton, "We shall soon be in a world in which a man may be howled down for saying that two and two make four, in which people will persecute the heresy of calling a triangle a three-sided figure, and hang a man for maddening a mob with the news that grass is green."

Developed countries are losing population rapidly and people respond to the idea of marriage and family like it's wrong. :lol:   

I direct IVF labs for a living.  I’m as pro-family as you can get.  But the comments he made indicate women should be subjugated to their husbands.  I don’t want my two daughters to feel that way.  Nor do I want friends and colleagues that are members of the LGBTQ community to feel persecuted, as apparently Butker would.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5