Harrison Butker…oy vey…what a commencement “speech”

eball

12 minutes ago, Einstein said:

that is an entirely different thing than the NFL being OK with it 

And it’s the owner of the team that made the call.  And if memory serves correct the owners never voted to disallow kneeling league wide.

I feel Kaep had the right to kneel during an anthem.  And I also did not agree with his stance on police.

18 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

I have no idea where this is coming from, but yes police should be able to live their lives.  I am very much pro law and order.

You expressed concerns that what Butker said would encourage violence against LBGT people but did not seem concerned about Kaep’s comments having similar impact on cops.  

• Awesome! (+1) 2

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

You expressed concerns that what Butker said would encourage violence against LBGT people but did not seem concerned about Kaep’s comments having similar impact on cops.  

I disagreed with his comments about the police, just as I disagreed with Butker’s comments about the LGTBQ community.  However, I suppose the police have more capacity to defend themselves if required.  

And both individuals had the right to say what they said no matter how much you or I abhor it.  And if either made direct threats they should have been arrested.

Edited by oldmanfan

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Bravo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

1 minute ago, Bill from NYC said:

The post was in no way directed at, nor meant to be demeaning to you in any way. I was just complinenting his post and nothing else. 👍

For the record if a policeman is killed in the line of duty I strongly favor the death penalty for the offender.

• Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

On 5/21/2024 at 7:18 PM, Bob Jones said:

One big, BIG difference between Kap and Butker is that Kap did his thing on “company time.” To me, and to many others, that makes a world of difference. An analogy would be if right after the SB win, down on the field in post game interviews, Butker would have said some of the stuff he said at the college commencement speech.

The biggest difference between Kaepernick and Butker is that Kaepernick protested against the numerous and well documented instances of police brutality against African American men while Butker ranted against aspects of American society/culture that he personally doesn't like.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 3

I agree with him.   Up until 40-50 years ago and the invention of the pill, the world largely worked just fine like this for hundreds, thousands of years.   Seems like the last 50 years are the problem, not the previous hundreds/thousands.   

• Eyeroll 1
  • Sad 2
  • Shocked 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, ProcessTruster said:

I agree with him.   Up until 40-50 years ago and the invention of the pill, the world largely worked just fine like this for hundreds, thousands of years.   Seems like the last 50 years are the problem, not the previous hundreds/thousands.   

Oh, it worked just fine if you were a white male Christian who wasn't known to be a homosexual.  Not so fine for everybody else.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 4
  • Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Bill from NYC said:

Why do you get so angry when people don't parrot your own political philosophy? Do you really hate the concepts of free speech and freedom of opinion THAT much?  You just called a man a "bigot" and a "disgrace" for having views that differ from yours. 

And I notice that in your last sentence, you appear to care about Jews. I suppose this means that you support Israel in their plight against terrorist Hamas right? Yeah, sure.

I’ll speak for this guy as I believe we share similar feelings.  Why do YOU not get that one can support free speech but vehemently disagree with a person’s views?  I am a strong advocate for the LGBTQ community and when people like Butker demean them it becomes dangerous.  Folks of similar mind use such inflammatory speeches to justify their own hatred.  And that’s wrong.

• Agree 1

He called Mushnick a "bigot," "disgrace," and desptie Mushnick being Jewish, accused him of "trying to make the world safe for us white male Christians." If you cannot admit that this is excessive I really don't know how, nor have the wherewithal to convince you that it is.

You seem to jump all over the fact that the community of which you speak should not be demeaned. OK, great. At the same time you are supporting a person being personally shamed and ridiculed for having an opinion with which you do not agree. 

There seems to be little point in taking this any further. Your stance on free thinking and free speech seem to be pretty much impenetrable. I do however wish you well.

Happy Memorial Day to you and yours!!!

• Agree 1

15 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

He called Mushnick a "bigot," "disgrace," and desptie Mushnick being Jewish, accused him of "trying to make the world safe for us white male Christians." If you cannot admit that this is excessive I really don't know how, nor have the wherewithal to convince you that it is.

You seem to jump all over the fact that the community of which you speak should not be demeaned. OK, great. At the same time you are supporting a person being personally shamed and ridiculed for having an opinion with which you do not agree. 

There seems to be little point in taking this any further. Your stance on free thinking and free speech seem to be pretty much impenetrable. I do however wish you well.

Happy Memorial Day to you and yours!!!

And I disagree with calling Mushnick that.  You cannot seem to reconcile the idea that, while everyone has the freedom to express their views, others have an equal right to express their opposing reaction to said views.  

• Haha (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, Bill from NYC said:

Why do you get so angry when people don't parrot your own political philosophy? Do you really hate the concepts of free speech and freedom of opinion THAT much?  You just called a man a "bigot" and a "disgrace" for having views that differ from yours. 

And I notice that in your last sentence, you appear to care about Jews. I suppose this means that you support Israel in their plight against terrorist Hamas right? Yeah, sure.

Opposing bigotry is not a "political philosophy" but an ethical stance.  The United States in 2024 is a large country with a diverse population.  All American citizens have equal rights regardless of their gender, race, sexual orientation, religion or national origin.  In the past -- and well into the 1960s -- that idea was given lip service as too many people in  power on local, state and national levels looked the other way when Blacks, Hispanics and/or Asians were lynched or when Irish Catholics and/or other immigrants were denied jobs or when Japanese Americans were sent to internment camps or when even wealthy Jews were barred from prestigious schools and colleges or when women were barred from numerous careers and job opportunities by prejudice and by law.

Butker expressed views on women and LGBTQ people that might have been respectable for many in 1924 or 1954 but are not in 2024.  He used religion to justify those bigoted views although his views don't conform to the Church's teachings.  Butker is certainly free to express his views, but I also have the right to call him out for what he revealed he is: a reactionary bigot hiding behind religion. 

If your "political philosophy" embraces bigotry and/or the acceptance of bigotry, then you need to examine your own political beliefs -- and your moral compass. 

• Agree 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

On 5/25/2024 at 7:03 PM, ProcessTruster said:

Lol, spoken like a person who never had to live in the previous hundreds or thousands of years.  🙄

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/25/2024 at 6:03 PM, ProcessTruster said:

The planet was a veritable garden of Eden up until the early 1970s.  Everyone just got along.  This kind of radical social upheaval we see to today was virtually unimaginable in the 60s.   Then women started wearing long pants and popping contraception like tic tacs and its been nothing but hell for regular guys like us since.

• Haha (+1) 7