Harrison Butker…oy vey…what a commencement “speech”

eball

Posted (edited)

Nice when you one can be a stay at home mom with a husband raking in millions kicking a ball AND previously cheating doing it.

https://www.footballzebras.com/2023/01/officials-told-to-watch-for-illegal-foreign-objects-used-for-fg-and-xp-attempts/

I wonder if her kitchen is bigger than most people's houses? 😆 

1 hour ago, Mikie2times said:

image.thumb.png.20497f3c80d0d486b8d55880506e3b8a.pngimage.thumb.png.fd6dedca7d7d4e2613ae2934a53a4d20.pngExplosion Reaction GIF

RichPeople.thumb.jpg.df962db72953bc9056a81bea30a087aa.jpg

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Haha (+1) 4

Motherhood, and raising children, especially in this era, but always really, is an extremely demanding vocation. Socrates understood, as did the Athenians who condemned him, that those who teach children and instill particular values and ways of acting and modes of perception are the rudder that ultimately determines where the ship of state goes. The domestic space shapes the political, unless the political can somehow displace it. And much of the culture war is because of that tension.

So, behind the obvious polemical intent of Butker's speech, there's a serious contest of values involved beyond what many here righteously proclaim a ridiculously atavistic prejudice. Benedictine College is a traditional Catholic school. Folks want to call that medieval, go right ahead. Medievals gave us the universities. What we're doing with that legacy is something else.

• Like (+1) 5
  • Disagree 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank you (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Dr. Who said:

Motherhood, and raising children, especially in this era, but always really, is an extremely demanding vocation. Socrates understood, as did the Athenians who condemned him, that those who teach children and instill particular values and ways of acting and modes of perception are the rudder that ultimately determines where the ship of state goes. The domestic space shapes the political, unless the political can somehow displace it. And much of the culture war is because of that tension.

So, behind the obvious polemical intent of Butker's speech, there's a serious contest of values involved beyond what many here righteously proclaim a ridiculously atavistic prejudice. Benedictine College is a traditional Catholic school. Folks want to call that medieval, go right ahead. Medievals gave us the universities. What we're doing with that legacy is something else.

Yet... They get a millionaire to preach the message. 

• Like (+1) 2

5 hours ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Yet... They get a millionaire to preach the message. 

No no no.  Don’t say millionaire.  Stick with “rich”.  It’s a malleable adjective that can be changed to suit your purpose.  Sure, there are other factors that can be used to stifle people’s speech or any of their silly supposed “rights”, but why waste one by using a somewhat precise definition?  You’re doing a great job of ignoring the speech and attacking the speaker but you’re being too specific.  Religion, race, economic status, sexual preference, and many other factors of choice can be twisted enough to suit just about any purpose.  Don’t define them precisely because it limits your options.  Remember the strategic plan of Pol Pot.

1. Kill the rich

2. ??????

3. Profit.

Now remove the “rich” and substitute any of the other traits and you’re right there with some of the thought leaders in all of human history.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 4
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Posted (edited)

OH SNAP. I am very interested in what this man has to say fully. But I'm going to listen to it in chunks. It is long and I don't want snippets. 

My first impressions are he being a Roman Catholic had no issues with calling out the priests and bishops and the church itself.  Pretty bold .

secondly if his real profession is NFL kicker he might consider the priesthood as a secondary career. But no married priests yet. HA Sucks for him.

I haven'tgotten to the wife motherhood parts yet. Oh Yes I'll share those thoughts too. 

Motherhood and his wife being glad she chose to stay at home. Yes congrats that Senora Butker was afforded that luxury. Does he not know many families require 2 incomes to pay a mortgage? Otherwise he needs to get a grip. Many self secure accomplished women exist with or without a "paycheck" attached.  Mother's day was Sunday. It's a mixed bag holiday, sensitive subject for some. BUT  to infer in the way he did it is now a better choice somehow.BALONEY. 

He can kiss my PRIDE Flag. That's how I feel about that. Love is the answer to what ills our world.

Peace Out.

Edited by muppy
  • Like (+1) 7
  • Eyeroll 1
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 5

1.) I support the right of every American to espouse whatever opinion they want, even if I don't agree with what they say.

2.) His specific message seems pretty on-brand for the audience to whom he was speaking.

3.) His words are incredibly tone deaf and, as others have pointed out, do not acknowledge the reality that the lived experience of a rich man (and his wife) is likely quite different than that of most normal people, and is not necessarily relatable or applicable.

4.) It seems somewhat bizarre to tell a bunch of women who are about to graduate from college that they ought to stick to the kitchen instead.

5.) Anything else I could say would likely offend people, venture into PPP territory, or generally not be productive. Instead, I will just keep my mouth shut and take my cue from my friends in the south and say regarding Harrison Butker: "Bless his heart".

• Like (+1) 14
  • Agree 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 3

12 hours ago, Dr. Who said:

Lukewarm on this. Raising children is practiced by the religious and secular alike.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Just another person full of self-conceit who thinks he knows the way everyone else should live. The only difference between him and the people he is railing against is that he hasn’t worked himself into a societal position of power to get to force people to be the way he wants them to be. He is mundane, average, and typical. But boy can he kick a ball!

He basically told all the women graduates that they just wasted a lot of time and money getting a degree when they should be taking care of husbands. They should have walked out or at least booed him. Not to mention his homophobia.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Vomit 1
  • Eyeroll 2
  • Agree 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2
  • Dislike 1

5 hours ago, 4merper4mer said:

No no no.  Don’t say millionaire.  Stick with “rich”.  It’s a malleable adjective that can be changed to suit your purpose.  Sure, there are other factors that can be used to stifle people’s speech or any of their silly supposed “rights”, but why waste one by using a somewhat precise definition?  You’re doing a great job of ignoring the speech and attacking the speaker but you’re being too specific.  Religion, race, economic status, sexual preference, and many other factors of choice can be twisted enough to suit just about any purpose.  Don’t define them precisely because it limits your options.  Remember the strategic plan of Pol Pot.

1. Kill the rich

2. ??????

3. Profit.

Now remove the “rich” and substitute any of the other traits and you’re right there with some of the thought leaders in all of human history.

How is calling Butker, a top 0.1% earner in this country, "rich" at all controversial or stifling his speech in any way?  

Going full Godwin is always a nice touch. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Eyeroll 1

27 minutes ago, NORWOODS FOOT said:

Just another person full of self-conceit who thinks he knows the way everyone else should live. The only difference between him and the people he is railing against is that he hasn’t worked himself into a societal position of power to get to force people to be the way he wants them to be. He is mundane, average, and typical. But boy can he kick a ball!

AND even at that needs help to cheat:

https://brobible.com/sports/article/nfl-officials-objects-fg-pat-attempts/

"...The league had previously noticed something similarly suspicious move during Week 2 of the 2020 season by Chiefs holder Tommy Townsend after a game-winning 58-yard field goal by kicker Harrison Butker. (Football Zebras also has incriminating video of this kick.)..."

I guess everyone is looking for a competitive edge everywhere in life.

4 minutes ago, teef said:

all i know is that i'd make a kick ass house husband.

Thank YOU! 

I gotta get off the internet... Wife is coming home soon. Gotta make it look like I was busy! 😆🤣 

• Haha (+1) 4

7 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

AND even at that needs help to cheat:

https://brobible.com/sports/article/nfl-officials-objects-fg-pat-attempts/

"...The league had previously noticed something similarly suspicious move during Week 2 of the 2020 season by Chiefs holder Tommy Townsend after a game-winning 58-yard field goal by kicker Harrison Butker. (Football Zebras also has incriminating video of this kick.)..."

I guess everyone is looking for a competitive edge everywhere in life.

Thank YOU! 

I gotta get off the internet... Wife is coming home soon. Gotta make it look like I was busy! 😆🤣 

Well shucks, I guess he’s just gonna have to confess and get that wiped off his ledger. As long as you feel really bad and tell someone everything is going to be alright!