Things that really piss you off when driving.

Posted (edited)
On 5/15/2024 at 11:28 AM, DD4Bills said:

People who do this wrong...

eh9gj1eggnla1.jpg

I’m not arguing this because I don’t know the facts, but when my son was taking his driver classes and test in Florida he said you can change lanes on a left hand turn. NOT on a right hand turn, but on a left turn yes. I was mildly surprised, but he’s a smart young guy and he was sure that was the case at that time in Florida. 

I only mention it now because we in a small neighborhood at the bottom of that diagram with one small lane in and another going out. The cars coming south almost ALL turn right (like 90%+), it’s the major traffic pattern, especially busy during rush hour. I get a green light with left arrow pulling out, and they have right turn on red….but they just keep going and turn right like I’m not there, usually allowing me the one inside lane going left. The problem is, there are shops and restaurants in a small strip center in the top left corner I go to. THAT is what pisses me off when driving! 

I mean, other than just being in Atlanta in the first place…..

Edited by Augie
  • Like (+1) 1

Tailgating. Here in the Southtowns, it's almost a sport. I travel on the many country roads out here and people love to ride on your bumper until they can pass. I'm going a bit over the limit. I guess your time is more important than mine.

The other day I was driving out of Springville. SPD is notorious for setting up there.  It goes from 45 to 55 and they patrol the 45 stretch. Most people know this and wait the two miles to get up to 55. Not the idiot in the pickup behind me. He blows past me going 70 and we approach a blind curve and almost hit head on with a vehicle traveling the other way. Never in my life did I wish they were on patrol that day more. If pickup bro wound up in a ditch, that's on him. But don't take anyone else with you because of your stupidity. 

• Agree 1

Posted (edited)
8 hours ago, gomper said:

Tailgating. Here in the Southtowns, it's almost a sport. I travel on the many country roads out here and people love to ride on your bumper until they can pass. I'm going a bit over the limit. I guess your time is more important than mine.

The other day I was driving out of Springville. SPD is notorious for setting up there.  It goes from 45 to 55 and they patrol the 45 stretch. Most people know this and wait the two miles to get up to 55. Not the idiot in the pickup behind me. He blows past me going 70 and we approach a blind curve and almost hit head on with a vehicle traveling the other way. Never in my life did I wish they were on patrol that day more. If pickup bro wound up in a ditch, that's on him. But don't take anyone else with you because of your stupidity. 

This is where on the Autobahn in Germany you use your high beam, flashing them on and off. Even if takes a minute, eventually the slow driver will notice you and let you pass. 

Edited by DrW

6 hours ago, gomper said:

Isn't it just sheriff's?

I didn't think Springville had a full time department 

8 hours ago, Fleezoid said:

I hate it when radio commercials for law firms start off with a loud siren sound. I immediately panic and scramble to hide my beer!

Remember this song?

1970:

"...The police siren sounds at the start of the record were removed from some copies supplied to radio stations after complaints that drivers hearing the song on the radio had mistakenly pulled over, thinking that the sounds were real.  ..."

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, Buffalo716 said:

Isn't it just sheriff's?

I didn't think Springville had a full time department 

It's both but that's the Springville PD spot. They were there earlier this evening. 

On 5/14/2024 at 7:04 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Telling me I have to look twice for motorcycles.  How stupid is that? Like once isn't enough for something you can't see... Now some stupid campaign is telling me I gotta look twice for something that may not be even there.  Sorry, not even on my radar.

We're already stressed out... Why not create a another special group... And while I am looking twice, twice as much time, I may get creamed.

You gotta be kidding! Yeah right.

Oh... BTW... That's why there are jug handles in New Jersey and "Michigan Lefts."

I see signs all over the place "motorcycles are everywhere".  I drive over 100 miles every day.,  I will go days without seeing a motorcycle.  I always chuckle to myself, "I thought they were everywhere"  LOL

• Like (+1) 1

On 5/16/2024 at 4:16 PM, Augie said:

I’m not arguing this because I don’t know the facts, but when my son was taking his driver classes and test in Florida he said you can change lanes on a left hand turn. NOT on a right hand turn, but on a left turn yes. I was mildly surprised, but he’s a smart young guy and he was sure that was the case at that time in Florida. 

I only mention it now because we in a small neighborhood at the bottom of that diagram with one small lane in and another going out. The cars coming south almost ALL turn right (like 90%+), it’s the major traffic pattern, especially busy during rush hour. I get a green light with left arrow pulling out, and they have right turn on red….but they just keep going and turn right like I’m not there, usually allowing me the one inside lane going left. The problem is, there are shops and restaurants in a small strip center in the top left corner I go to. THAT is what pisses me off when driving! 

I mean, other than just being in Atlanta in the first place…..

According to 

https://driversed.com/driving-information/driving-techniques/making-right-and-left-turns/

it depends on the state if you can change lanes on a left turn. According to the web site, FL does not allow it. 

1 minute ago, DrW said:

According to 

https://driversed.com/driving-information/driving-techniques/making-right-and-left-turns/

it depends on the state if you can change lanes on a left turn. According to the web site, FL does not allow it. 

Get your tenses right. Do you have the link for the month my son was taking the class? He’s in his 30’s now. If it had been my other son, I might question it. I made a point of saying I was referring to the past. But sure, you feel free to try to make a point. 

6 minutes ago, Augie said:

Get your tenses right. Do you have the link for the month my son was taking the class? He’s in his 30’s now. If it had been my other son, I might question it. I made a point of saying I was referring to the past. But sure, you feel free to try to make a point. 

Please do not get upset - you got this all wrong. I was in no way insinuating that you were incorrect. I was actually more concerned about the accuracy of the web site.

7 minutes ago, DrW said:

Please do not get upset - you got this all wrong. I was in no way insinuating that you were incorrect. I was actually more concerned about the accuracy of the web site.

I’m good, I just don’t click on all the links put up here. I’m pretty darn confident in what he told me, but it’s now just a fine memory while he’s expecting his second child. 

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Augie said:

I’m good, I just don’t click on all the links put up here. I’m pretty darn confident in what he told me, but it’s now just a fine memory while he’s expecting his second child. 

I hope everything goes well for mom and the baby (and the dad, of course).

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

On 5/17/2024 at 3:55 PM, Fleezoid said:

I hate it when radio commercials for law firms start off with a loud siren sound. I immediately panic and scramble to hide my beer!

Thank you! I have told my wife for years they need to ban that from radio commercials! 

Posted (edited)

When people are lost and they slow down at every street/driveway thinking that's the one they need to turn on.

If it happens a few times, not a big deal.  But some will be a mile or two off and they are braking constantly.

I live off of a long and windy road with a bunch of houses with 100 yard driveways to their house...the speed limit is 45 but on a regular basis, you have people driving 30-35 mph on this road because they're looking at mail box addresses.  

Edited by Royale with Cheese
  • Agree 1

On 5/14/2024 at 7:04 PM, ExiledInIllinois said:

"Michigan Lefts."

I had to Google this to see if it’s what my town did. They did mention the term when they were modifying the road. But no, we have the idiotic version of it. They eliminated all left turns on the main road, but then added in new lights half way between each intersection for u-turns only. So they have effectively doubled the number of choke points on the busy road. All of the side roads are the same thing, no left turns. You have to turn right onto that busy road and then pretty quickly get over into the left lane for the u-turn lane. 

Most of those u-turn spots have lights, but a few do not. My street just happens to be one of those. If you want to head to the left from my street at rush hour, it is essentially impossible. There is never a gap big enough to make that u-turn. 

This whole setup has created the thing that I hate most on the roads right now. Those main intersections where you can’t turn left, people make illegal u-turns through them at pretty much every single light cycle. And they don’t give a ***** that someone on that side street is trying to turn right. I’m am dodging those jackasses every single day. 

• Like (+1) 1

17 minutes ago, shrader said:

I had to Google this to see if it’s what my town did. They did mention the term when they were modifying the road. But no, we have the idiotic version of it. They eliminated all left turns on the main road, but then added in new lights half way between each intersection for u-turns only. So they have effectively doubled the number of choke points on the busy road. All of the side roads are the same thing, no left turns. You have to turn right onto that busy road and then pretty quickly get over into the left lane for the u-turn lane. 

Most of those u-turn spots have lights, but a few do not. My street just happens to be one of those. If you want to head to the left from my street at rush hour, it is essentially impossible. There is never a gap big enough to make that u-turn. 

This whole setup has created the thing that I hate most on the roads right now. Those main intersections where you can’t turn left, people make illegal u-turns through them at pretty much every single light cycle. And they don’t give a ***** that someone on that side street is trying to turn right. I’m am dodging those jackasses every single day. 

Yeah. 

I think the Michigan left is mainly for roads with more increased speeds.  That is not wanting traffic making lefts against say a 55mph speed limit.  Misjudginng the acceleration of a motorcycle making a left in front of it has to be one of the harder things for people?

Intersection where one road is at highway speed and the other is not.

From Wiki:

440px-Michigan_Left.svg.png

"Stylized depiction of the design in Grand Haven, Michigan, at US 31 and Robbins Road (north to the right), showing the additional area necessary to make a turn on a narrow median[1] 43°2′40.18″N 86°13′12.57″W"