Things that really piss you off when driving.

This one *really* resonates with me, especially when I'm on the motorcycle.  You want to be polite?  How about obeying the ***** traffic laws, idiots!!

driving_psa.png

(I searched but couldn't find this topic, but mods feel free to merge if there is an existing one.)

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree 1

18 minutes ago, Fleezoid said:

People.

I was too late with “everyone else”, but we are thinking alike. 

BTW - I live in Atlanta, so this is a typical kinda thing for me. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

This one *really* resonates with me, especially when I'm on the motorcycle.  You want to be polite?  How about obeying the ***** traffic laws, idiots!!

driving_psa.png

(I searched but couldn't find this topic, but mods feel free to merge if there is an existing one.)

agreed! Never trust anyone on the roads, is my motto.

Relatedly, I never feel pressured if I am waiting to try to turn, and people behind me are honking for me to go.

Those same honking people aren't going to stick around when someone hits me. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Agree 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Mikie2times said:

People that drive excessively fast in heavy traffic. I get going fast, but you're barely arriving earlier than other people when it's that slow. Just chill the "F" out. 

Put a little more effort into making sure you DO arrive. 

Since moving to the lovely traffic of Atlanta I’ve shifted my tune a bit. If anybody needs in, I’ll give you every opportunity to change lanes. We are all in this same sh!t together! 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Augie said:

Put a little more effort into making sure you DO arrive. 

Since moving to the lovely traffic of Atlanta I’ve shifted my tune a bit. If anybody needs in, I’ll give you every opportunity to change lanes. We are all in this same sh!t together! 

Yup, I didn't feel that way until coming to San Diego. I didn't see much of this in Ohio/Michigan. Drivers here are actually pretty bad. I hear Atlanta is also a mess. 

3 hours ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

driving_psa.png

Mine is very similar. We have a lot of 3-way and 4-way stops in the suburban neighborhoods. I hate drivers who did not pay attention who arrived first, and then try to wave everybody else to go before them. Suddenly then they decide it is their turn, and we have chaos.

• Agree 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Another one I thought of, sort of a superset of the "wave you into traffic" case:

Expecting me to parse whatever the ***** ASL monologue you're gesticulating at me from 30 yards away with the afternoon sun in my eyes. These people also have tinted windows 100% of the time. Just assume that your headlights, brake lights and turn indicators are the only communication devices you have. Because they are.  (Hand signals are acceptable on those rare occasions when your blinker dies mid-trip.)

Posted (edited)

Telling me I have to look twice for motorcycles.  How stupid is that? Like once isn't enough for something you can't see... Now some stupid campaign is telling me I gotta look twice for something that may not be even there.  Sorry, not even on my radar.

We're already stressed out... Why not create a another special group... And while I am looking twice, twice as much time, I may get creamed.

You gotta be kidding! Yeah right.

Oh... BTW... That's why there are jug handles in New Jersey and "Michigan Lefts."

Edited by ExiledInIllinois

6 minutes ago, Jon in Pasadena said:

Another one I thought of, sort of a superset of the "wave you into traffic" case:

Expecting me to parse whatever the ***** ASL monologue you're gesticulating at me from 30 yards away with the afternoon sun in my eyes. These people also have tinted windows 100% of the time. Just assume that your headlights, brake lights and turn indicators are the only communication devices you have. Because they are.  (Hand signals are acceptable on those rare occasions when your blinker dies mid-trip.)

Indeed, using of the most useful communication method is one way traffic in Europe differs from the US. Example, slow drivers in the left lane of a highway. US solution (at least here in Texas): stay behind them (cursing), trying to pass on the right. Italian solution: honk your horn; however, in heavy traffic often it is not clear who is the intended target of the horn. German solution: flash your high beam; if you have ever been chased from the left lane on the Autobahn by the Porsche behind you, you know haw effective this method is.

Posted (edited)
5 minutes ago, DrW said:

Indeed, using of the most useful communication method is one way traffic in Europe differs from the US. Example, slow drivers in the left lane of a highway. US solution (at least here in Texas): stay behind them (cursing), trying to pass on the right. Italian solution: honk your horn; however, in heavy traffic often it is not clear who is the intended target of the horn. German solution: flash your high beam; if you have ever been chased from the left lane on the Autobahn by the Porsche behind you, you know haw effective this method is.

OR... Better yet, don't communicate at all. Michigan and New Jersey solve the "left turn problem" like I alluded to above. Ban overt left turns for other traffic solutions.

Yet... Just pay attention with who stops prior and go. If it's a tie, how about the old on right rule.

Edited by ExiledInIllinois
  • Agree 1

When you’re driving down a main road and a car on a side road come to their stop sign at about 100mph looking and feeling like they are going to plow into you.  I always fear that person just ain’t stoping.  

Being tailgated or passed on a double lined road.  

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

OR... Better yet, don't communicate at all. Michigan and New Jersey solve the "left turn problem" like I alluded to above. Ban overt left turns for other traffic solutions.

Yet... Just pay attention with who stops prior and go. If it's a tie, how about the old on right rule.

Yes, but the problem are those who do not pay attention.

35 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Telling me I have to look twice for motorcycles.  How stupid is that? Like once isn't enough for something you can't see... Now some stupid campaign is telling me I gotta look twice for something that may not be even there.  Sorry, not even on my radar.

We're already stressed out... Why not create a another special group... And while I am looking twice, twice as much time, I may get creamed.

You gotta be kidding! Yeah right.

Oh... BTW... That's why there are jug handles in New Jersey and "Michigan Lefts."

Don't worry about it.

All motorcyclists who survive past their first six months have learned the lesson that car drivers are mostly blind. (Including myself, when I am driving my car, although I am more aware than average.)

Fortunately we have sufficient acceleration to get the heck out of Dodge when we spot Ray Charles weaving down the road.  Bicycles on the other hand....

I'm on a stretch of 4-lane interstate, 70-mph limit, got my cruise control set. You're the only other car on the road going my direction. I've gained the mile of distance on you in a few minutes and I move left to pass.

This is apparently an insult in your culture and you stomp the accelerator. Whatever. I move back over. You return to the same slower-than-me speed you were traveling at. I go to pass again. You start speeding up again. This time I hammer it, complete the pass, put a half mile between us and move right to resume my leisurely cruise.

Oh who is this now? Of course, it's the other car on the road, roaring up to pass me, move in front, and slow right the ***** down again.

Repeat from Frederick to Hancock. Dumb Maryland *****.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Agree 3

Posted (edited)

1. The spandex mafia

2. The whining from the spandex mafia

3. The lack of banning of the spandex mafia

4. The dumb advertising on the spandex of the spandex mafia

5. Potholes

Edited by 4merper4mer
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1