Things that really piss you off when driving.

17 minutes ago, Another Fan said:

Sadly it seems it's not cautious driving anymore just to wait a few seconds to go after the light turns green if you are the 1st car.  

I always wait if I am first.

I even let another car to my left or right go first. Use as a "pick." If anyone is running red, they will hit them first. 

Survival of the fittest out there!

• Like (+1) 1

Also, add to my list of things that really piss me off when I'm driving.  People who are dumb when I'm just trying to be safe.  Dry clear day? I'll drive pretty fast, no problem. You have to drive that way around here or you'll get run over and the longer I've lived here the more used to it I've gotten.  Fine.  However, if it's snowing or raining hard or foggy, or if nighttime in a place I know there are a load of deer?  Get off my ass. Stop flashing me. Stop creating a more dangerous situation than the one that already exists.  I drive very well.  If I'm slowing down, you should too.

Example.  I had to drive across the PA Turnpike in a snowstorm to get back to college.  The right lane was snowy but driveable, the left lane was entirely snow covered.  I was in the right lane in my 1989 Pontiac GrandAm going about 50 (this was in the days where the actual limit was 55 on that road)  Dude in a RWD car comes right up on my ass flashing and whatnot.  After a mile or so he passes me on the left and disappears.  About 2 minutes later I go around a curve and see the same guy spun out facing the wrong direction up into the Jersey barrier. I waved on the way by.

I see a lot of dumb stuff on the roads these days.  Crotch rocket split lanes between me and a truck yesterday.  I was in the left lane, the truck was merging onto the highway on my right, I was passing the truck because I was already at speed, the truck was going maybe 50.  Idiot goosed it from behind the truck and split us.  He got a death wobble in the middle of it and fortunately saved it then sped off into the distance.  All he had to do was wait 1 second.  I was in the midst of passing the truck and was going to move over.  Nearly killed himself getting onto a highway for no reason.

• Agree 1

in my city you see a ton of large stature pickup trucks whose drivers act like they are the ONLY vehicle on the road. Very self entitled arrogant attitude people.

I think men who drive that way are compensating for other ahem deficiencies so they buy a BIG truck instead. 

• Like (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, ExiledInIllinois said:

Exactly about the people who go nuts if you don't move quickly enough on the green. No way Jose. Doesn't bother me... But when turning left,  they should be under the light.

The people that time these lights don't do us many favors either.  That left turn out of our school is an extremely quick light. 3 cars at most can make the turn.  There is a sensor, but the wait for the light to cycle again is at least 3 full minutes.  That causes people to be right up your rear end and you do need to go fairly quickly if you aren't first in line.  Like I said, those are the times when I've almost gotten hit.  I wasn't first in line.  I was second or third and the person coming from the right side just blew the intersection completely. Fortunately they were in the right lane and all of us were turning into the left lane that day. I don't always because my next turn is a right at the next intersection so there are plenty of times I make that turn directly into the right lane.

2 minutes ago, muppy said:

in my city you see a ton of large stature pickup trucks whose drivers act like they are the ONLY vehicle on the road. Very self entitled arrogant attitude people.

I think men who drive that way are compensating for other ahem deficiencies so they buy a BIG truck instead. 

We have them here too. I could describe the decorations on 95% of them but people would get butthurt.

• Like (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, muppy said:

Wait til they park and cut their nuts off! You go girl!

😆 

https://driving.ca/column/lorraine/your-truck-nuts-are-not-sending-the-message-you-think-they-are

I had an annoying one yesterday. I was in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway going 80. There were no cars anywhere. A Tesla eventually flew up on my ass and then passed me on the right before moving back into the center lane. I’m glad I didn’t try to get out of the way because I would have moved directly into that car’s path. 

3 minutes ago, shrader said:

I had an annoying one yesterday. I was in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway going 80. There were no cars anywhere. A Tesla eventually flew up on my ass and then passed me on the right before moving back into the center lane. I’m glad I didn’t try to get out of the way because I would have moved directly into that car’s path. 

Canadian?

Years ago, a friend of mine was teaching his son to drive. He told him, "drive like everyone on the road is out to kill you."  A bit extreme, but I get the point. Just be extremely alert to everyone around you. Unfortunately, now I think it's true. 

I was in Buffalo yesterday for work, and several of the intersections I drove through had people blatantly blow through a red light.  I don't mean it must have just turned red when they went through, we definitely had the green our direction for a good second or two before they came through.  

On 5/21/2024 at 8:58 PM, That's No Moon said:

When social media and dash cams became a thing.

The father of one of my students was killed right in front of our school a couple weeks ago.  7:30am, he dropped the kid off, waited at a traffic light to make a left outof the school parking lot, light changed, he pulled out to make the left and got T-Boned by some jackass who ran the light.  Killed on impact. Road was closed for 4 hours, guy who ran the light was uninjured.  We had to tell the kid.  Now the kid has to ride a schoolbus through that intersection twice a day and sit 300 yards from it all day long.

Sad.

Several years ago, the wife of one of my coworkers was killed the same way. She was making a left from a side street on to a boulevard. T-boned. Their 2 kids were in the car and luckily survived. 

I've never been one to try and push the yellow lights, but now I've even come to a stop a few times while the light was still yellow. Saving that extra 1- 2 minutes just ain't worth it. 

On 5/22/2024 at 10:47 AM, ExiledInIllinois said:

Canadian?

Tough to see a plate at that speed, but not very likely here in NC. 

22 hours ago, Just Jack said:

I was in Buffalo yesterday for work, and several of the intersections I drove through had people blatantly blow through a red light.  I don't mean it must have just turned red when they went through, we definitely had the green our direction for a good second or two before they came through.  

As a driver, it is maddening. There are lights on a major thoroughfare here that allow residential traffic from a small area to enter the main road. Did they install any kind of sensor?  NOOOOO of course not. Let’s just stop traffic every minute or two on a four lane road to let exactly ZERO cars out. At 5am no less. I am definitely guilty of running those lights during off hours. 

1 hour ago, AlCowlingsTaxiService said:

As a driver, it is maddening. There are lights on a major thoroughfare here that allow residential traffic from a small area to enter the main road. Did they install any kind of sensor?  NOOOOO of course not. Let’s just stop traffic every minute or two on a four lane road to let exactly ZERO cars out. At 5am no less. I am definitely guilty of running those lights during off hours. 

I can see the logic there, but this was about 10:30-11:00 am in the morning, on some busy roads.  

On 5/21/2024 at 9:27 AM, Gregg said:

Many people texting and driving is absolutely insane. I think that should be treated like a DUI if they caught. That causes so many accidents that hurt and kill people.

The number of drugs that aren’t easily detectable in a roadside breathalyzer type test is another one of my biggest concerns. I’m seeing people who looked absolutely cooked on the road more frequently. 

On 5/25/2024 at 4:48 PM, Just Jack said:

I can see the logic there, but this was about 10:30-11:00 am in the morning, on some busy roads.  

Don’t get me wrong, this goes on all day at some of these signals … I feel like public officials give lip service to energy conservation and CO emissions, then allow for things that are polar opposites of what they claim is important 

On 5/20/2024 at 8:17 AM, Royale with Cheese said:

When people are lost and they slow down at every street/driveway thinking that's the one they need to turn on.

If it happens a few times, not a big deal.  But some will be a mile or two off and they are braking constantly.

I live off of a long and windy road with a bunch of houses with 100 yard driveways to their house...the speed limit is 45 but on a regular basis, you have people driving 30-35 mph on this road because they're looking at mail box addresses.  

Maybe one day they'll be rich enough to purchase a smartphone, and use google/apple maps. We can only hope.

• Haha (+1) 1

There are a lot of things that drivers do to anger me but I also get irritated by pedestrians.  A couple of things that come to mind:

1. When a clearly able-bodied pedestrian takes their time crossing the street as cars wait for them.

2. People walking in the street, even if it's on the side, when there is a sidewalk right next to them.