Goff 4yr $212M extension

While I am not surprised...all my Lion fan friends still refer to him as "Goof" for a reason.  

Lions really had no choice here, but that is a lot of money for a QB who is a borderline top 10 QB and mostly seen as a guy that falls in the 8th best to 12th best QB range.

4 minutes ago, JohnNord said:

How does that make him one of the best QB’s in the league?  

I said, "With a clean pocket he's as good as any QB in the league."

I did not call him one of the best in the league.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

While I am not surprised...all my Lion fan friends still refer to him as "Goof" for a reason.  

Lions really had no choice here, but that is a lot of money for a QB who is a borderline top 10 QB and mostly seen as a guy that falls in the 8th best to 12th best QB range.

8-12th?

I don't think he would be the 8th best QB in the AFC.  

Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Burrow, Stroud, Herbert, Lawrence, Tua, Wilson, Rodgers on one leg are all better than Goff

Add in NFC with Prescott, Stafford, Hurts, and Purdy and you get to at least 14 and that is not counting the rookies.  

Goff is in the top of the bottom tier of guys just ahead of Cousins, Mayfield, Carr, Watson, and Murray

• Disagree 4

38 minutes ago, Sestak4ever said:

Contracts coming up include Lawrence, Prescott, Love and Tua! So glad we got Josh taken care of when we did. Go Bills!!🏈🍻

Josh will be getting more money …maybe next year…

12 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

8-12th?

Mahomes, Allen, Jackson, Burrow, Stroud, Herbert, Lawrence, Tua, Wilson, Rodgers on one leg are all better than Goff

Add in NFC with Prescott, Stafford, Hurts, and Purdy and you get to at least 14 and that is not counting the rookies.  

Goff is in the top of the bottom tier of guys just ahead of Cousins, Mayfield, Carr, Watson, and Murray

I think Goff is better than Lawrence, Tua and definitely better than Wilson. Rodgers is older coming off an injury so I'd put Goff above him too. He's around 10th. In the same group as Kyler and Kirk but above Lawrence and Tua

• Like (+1) 5

The thing about Goff is that he's inconsistent.  He can have great games but then have stinkers.  Josh had a season like that last year, particularly while Dorsey was still OC, but Josh's ratio of great/stinkers is a lot higher than Goff's.  

Both Goff and Josh can lead their teams to the playoffs.  Josh has shown he can excel every playoff game, but Goff collapses sometimes, and that's enough to derail the season for his team.  However the Lions do seem to have put together one hell of a roster, so perhaps they could survive a below-normal performance from Goff.  I wouldn't write the Lions off.

58 minutes ago, Special K said:

I live in Florida, but its an easy answer that I would rather live in the Buffalo area over the Detroit area

I also live in Florida and I also would prefer to live in Buffalo over Detroilet. I'm kinda envious that a dump like Detroit can still support 4 major sport franchises. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Eyeroll 1

29 minutes ago, Ethan in Cleveland said:

8-12th?

I mean that doesn't say much, the majority of the best QB's are in the AFC.  And Goff is better than Lawrence (who might be the most over rated player in the NFL) and certainly better than Wilson.  Many would take him over Tua too who can't beat .500 teams with the fastest offense in NFL history.  

To be clear, I didn't say he was the 8th best QB, I said he would most often fall in that range of 8 to 12 and its not at all unreasonable for someone to make a case for him around 8.  

Top 5 - Mahomes, Allen, Burrow, Lamar, Stroud (in no particular order)

Next 3 - Rodgers (until he proven otherwise), Herbert, and Dak (In no particular order)

Thats 8 - and I don't think its unreasonable for someone to make a case he is better than Dak.  

Next group of guys would be:  Hurts, Stafford, Purdy, Tua, Kirk, and maybe Love.  Goff certainly is valid to be in this group, and not unreasonable to make a case for him over any of those guys.  

So I stand by I think the 8-12 range is where he would most commonly rank.  Cant see any logical case to be higher than 8 though, and I don't think it would really be fair to list him lower than say 12th either.  

1 hour ago, Buffalo_Stampede said:

The cap is going up like crazy so contracts are going up. Cap is projected to jump again. 

Elite QBs will get about 20% of the cap. 

Exactly this.  Why wouldn't they pay their franchise QB the going rate? His guarantee isn't even top 5 now.    It will seem like peanuts in 2 years with the ever exploding cap.

Why isn't this a smart move?

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JohnNord said:

No he isn’t.  He’s a good QB but he’s far one of the best in the NFL and that was on full display last season in the NFCCG

I’d put him in the top 10-12. You could do far worse and he has helped make Detroit relevant again. I’m a fan of his